It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your luckiest shot? And other miscellaneous things

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm curious on what others have done.

Mine was 2 squirrels with 1 shot using a .22 magnum.

I didn't even see the 2nd one when I shot.

Both were killed instantly.

Another lucky one was flushing a quail at my feet while rabbit hunting. I hit it with a .410 single shot as it climbed right in front of me. The one hunting with me looked at me like I was a martian that had 2 heads and 5 arms. I made a point of acting like nothing unusual happened.

On the other hand, I've done some ignorant things too when I was younger and dumber. Like chasing a wandering zero on a .22 with a very cheap scope. I just couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it right and said to hell with that, I'll stick with shotguns...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I hit a 12 Ga shotgun shell in the primer with a 30-06 from 200 yards away. The shotgun shell was set up in the spout of a gallon jug, set up on its side. Remington 700 is a sweet peice of engineering.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

letting someone else shoot my shotgun who had no real experience last time I was at the range. Having said idiot put a 20gauge in a 12gauge when I wasn't looking. Having my round seat even though a cartridge was lodged in the breech. Having my first total misfire with that ammo, and never having another misfire since? I would consider that my luckiest lack of shot.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
weirdest shot I was ever part of...was actually with air-rifles when a child.

Mate had a .177 and I had a .22 rifle, shot at the same target, i shot slightly before him, and the pellets collided midflight and landed amalgamated together! (this was when we were children so no camera around for us to take a photo)

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Okay, I'll play... my luckiest shoot ever happened when I was 12...

I had one of those old Daisy powerline pellet guns... the kind that the more times you pumped the more power each shot had...

Anyway I my best friend and I were in my back yard shooting cans with that old BB gun.. my buddy see a pigeon land on a bare branch in the neighbours tree... maybe 75 yards out...

of course you know what come next... "I bet you cant hit that Pigeon"!

I must have pumped that BB gun like a hundred times.. knowing that gun so well I didn't bother with the sights... I tilted the barrel like 45 degrees and pulled the trigger...

"You Missed Haw"!
then like slow motion that pigeon dropped out of the tree...
the unseen neighbour on the other side of the fence yells out "What The F**k" and being the culprits we were, made a run for it before caught in the act...

that was my luckiest shoot ever

S&F for sending me back to my somewhat colorful youth

[edit on 10-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't mean to be pompous, but I've never had a "lucky" shot. Every shot I've ever made were intentional and carefully aimed. I think the most amazing shot I've ever made was shooting through the opening of a soda can at 200m with my .22. How do I know I made the shot? There was an exit hole in the bottom of the can. I should add that I had a scope!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
November 2001. North of Edmond, Oklahoma. Standing under a tree...looking over water. About 165 yards out. Par 4, 3rd shot, horrible day of hacking it all over the place. 6 iron. Focused. Pure swing and...

IT's IN THE CUP!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My luckiest shot ever, would have to be 200+ yards, Marlin 22 open sight, crows head.
The most bizzare shot/launch I've witnessed was with a lawn dart thrown from the top of a steep cliff and sticking a rabbit at the bottom, and yes he ate the rabbit.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I once chipped out of the woods and holed in a tournament, i was +5 after the first 4 holes and after the woods shot i turned it on finished the 3 day tourney at +3, thats right this doesnt belong but i interpret shot differently hhaahah

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

"You Missed Haw"! then like slow motion that pigeon dropped out of the tree... the unseen neighbour on the other side of the fence yells out "What The F**k" and being the culprits we were, made a run for it before caught in the act...

Yeah! I've done that too. But with a real cheap bb gun at about the same range. It was a sparrow. I aimed about 6' or so up, and 3' or so to the side, and dropped it.

Pure luck.

And I know what it was like to get caught shooting birds too. And clay pots that my grandfather used... and a BBQ pit of a neighbor I wasn't too fond of... and some other things.

Memories. And I was rather tame compared to some I knew

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I shot a wild turkey(small hen) flying up and away from me, approximately 45 yards, with a 6'' bbl Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum, that was my second best. My best was a 1500lb Holstein/Angus mix steer running away from me with one shot from a Mossberg bolt action .22 Mag. rifle, one shot. Hit the second vertabra back from his skull. I ate the turkey, the owners ate the steer.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by butcherguy]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
2, really:

1) Shot at a pigeon with a blow dart gun, about 30 feet away, and I kick you not, skeweered the thing directly through it anus and saw the tip of the dart coming out of it neck. To this day, I cant figure how I shot it that hard.

2)The other was with a 12 ga. Took out 3 clay pigeon on one shot

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just thought of a 3rd: hit a grasshopper with a billiards dart from 10 feet away. THAT one was a proud moment.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I must have been 17 at the time. My buddy Mark and I were running around the woods shooting BB guns at each other, it was late Fall so we had layers of clothes on to soften the blows.
He had an old pump rifle that looked like a machinegun, and I was sporting a single-cock CO2 pellet gun. He decides to break from cover and run full- tilt down hill, so as I am lining up my shot, he just stops, turns and shoots from the hip! I actually see the BB coming towards my right eye, and only had time to kinda close my eyelid before it ricochets of of my lower orbit into the woods. Must have missed my eyeball by about 1/2" or so.

Damn lucky shot, and still have the scar to prove it.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

Oh man, I have the photo even, I'll have to find it so I can post it.

Living in New Hampshire there were a lot of coyotes on my land, and since the coyotes also had to share the space with many farm animals (and baby farm animals) sometimes the two didn't mix.

There was a female coyote that lost a paw to a hunter - so called at least. A filthy trap hunter I could have skinned alive if I'd a caught him (which I did but that's another story).

Anyway. This female had pups, and, no matter how I tried to keep her fed (buying calves at the auction and leaving them for her to feed on) the day finally came when I had to take her out.

With a .223 Ruger, she took it between the eyes at over 200 yards dropping dead before the report of the shot finished echoing over the valley.

My heart broke on one side of the coin - on the other I was whooping for glee I didn't mess up taking a *Rambo* shot when I should have been more up close and personal in order to make sure I didn't make a mistake and cause her to suffer... But a seasoned shooter, I took the shot, and only one.

Bull's-eye.

I still have her hide.

Her pups got along just fine.

peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
My luckiest shot ever, would have to be 200+ yards, Marlin 22 open sight, crows head.
The most bizzare shot/launch I've witnessed was with a lawn dart thrown from the top of a steep cliff and sticking a rabbit at the bottom, and yes he ate the rabbit.

The luckiest thing that most of you have had happen is that the animals didn't have guns to fight back. At least one guy ate the rabbit he killed. I'm sure the rest of you just engaged in senseless killing. Kiling helpless animals for sport is not a sport at all. That said I am ok with it if the animal is consumed, otherwise you all are no better than common murderers.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by PSUSA

Oh man, I have the photo even, I'll have to find it so I can post it.

Living in New Hampshire there were a lot of coyotes on my land, and since the coyotes also had to share the space with many farm animals (and baby farm animals) sometimes the two didn't mix.

There was a female coyote that lost a paw to a hunter - so called at least. A filthy trap hunter I could have skinned alive if I'd a caught him (which I did but that's another story).

Anyway. This female had pups, and, no matter how I tried to keep her fed (buying calves at the auction and leaving them for her to feed on) the day finally came when I had to take her out.

With a .223 Ruger, she took it between the eyes at over 200 yards dropping dead before the report of the shot finished echoing over the valley.

My heart broke on one side of the coin - on the other I was whooping for glee I didn't mess up taking a *Rambo* shot when I should have been more up close and personal in order to make sure I didn't make a mistake and cause her to suffer... But a seasoned shooter, I took the shot, and only one.

Bull's-eye.

I still have her hide.

Her pups got along just fine.

peace.
You purchased calves at auction to FEED to COYOTES?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My luckiest shot was with a 22 long rifle.

A bunch of us kids were at a shooting range and we would put up different targets. We found a bottle and tied a string to it so it would swing.

We were about 50 yards away and my friend hit the swinging bottle with his first shot.. Only the neck of the bottle was still attached to the string.

Me, being somewhat of a pompous ass I said "Oh yea, watch this" I was aiming for the neck of the bottle but I hit the string holding the swinging bottle neck. The bottle neck fell to the ground.

There were about 5 kids and a couple of adults standing there open mouthed from that shot. Of course, I didn't mention that I was aiming for bottle neck and actually missed.

link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter

The luckiest thing that most of you have had happen is that the animals didn't have guns to fight back. At least one guy ate the rabbit he killed. I'm sure the rest of you just engaged in senseless killing. Kiling helpless animals for sport is not a sport at all. That said I am ok with it if the animal is consumed, otherwise you all are no better than common murderers.
Is it ok with you that we continue to poison rats, mice and cockroaches? And not eat them, of course.

link   
Anyone who shoots a gun efficiently will tell you that there is no lucky shot, it's all skill

I guess mine would be shooting a buck on a dead run with an open sights 30-30 at 150 years when I was 11 years old...that was luck! Now days, I won't take a shot unless it's clean and certain.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join