It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your luckiest shot? And other miscellaneous things

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Seriously, I wish posters would pick another "post" to shoot at other than mine as an example. Dang !

Originally posted by Full_Vision

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
My luckiest shot ever, would have to be 200+ yards, Marlin 22 open sight, crows head.
The most bizzare shot/launch I've witnessed was with a lawn dart thrown from the top of a steep cliff and sticking a rabbit at the bottom, and yes he ate the rabbit.

The luckiest thing that most of you have had happen is that the animals didn't have guns to fight back. At least one guy ate the rabbit he killed. I'm sure the rest of you just engaged in senseless killing. Kiling helpless animals for sport is not a sport at all. That said I am ok with it if the animal is consumed, otherwise you all are no better than common murderers.

Agreed..I have nothing at all against hunting.. FOR FOOD..I was brought up with the belief that you eat what you kill and if you arent going to eat it, dont aim for it..

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My Luckiest Shot....

it happened in Phoenix AZ at Turf Paradise, opening day of the season 1996...

i had allowed myself 4 different races to bet a total of $50. bucks on...

the first two were near misses on Win Only, the 3rd race was a Simucast
from a california track, I placed a $10 Trifecta on 3-5-8 (all 15-1 longshots)
the race finished #3win, #5place, #8show... & the payout would have been close to $1,800. per $1 bet OR $18,000. for the exact Trifecta 3-5-8

but would you know, the #7 Jockey lodged an inquiry complaint, and after some 5 minutes of replays & smoke-filled-room discussions, the race results were overturned and #7 came in third...dropping my #8 to fourth and nullifying my perfect $10. Trifecta Ticket that should have hit a $18,000 payoff....(if only Karma or my spirit guides would have backed me up)

Oh well,

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Full_Vision

Agreed..I have nothing at all against hunting.. FOR FOOD..I was brought up with the belief that you eat what you kill and if you arent going to eat it, dont aim for it..

Agreed too. Unless it's for population control or the animal is a nuisance. Or like a couple posted, the animal is hurt beyond repair.

Do people really eat giraffe? How about rhino? Elephant? Bear? There's a lot of big game animals that I question shooting just to have a "trophy". Unless those animals are eaten, and I dont know if they are or aren't, then leave them alone. And I'm not talking just taking 10% of the choice meant and leaving the rest to rot either.

[edit on 11/12/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
A fox had been eating my father-in-law's chicken's and eggs. Every day we would find either egg shells or the carcass of a chicken. For the better part of two weeks we couldn't catch it out in the open. So we set out some traps. The thing wouldn't go in the traps. (We used cage style traps instead of paw/leg traps.) After nearly two weeks I decided to bring out my Ruger 10/22 and see if I could track the thing down. I finally caught up with the fox near some train tracks.

Now in our area the terreain is uneven. So, the tracks run on these mounds of earth and stone coverred with loose gravel. I scrambled up one side of this mound chasing after the fox and when I finally got to the top I saw him running straight down the tracks. I pulled up my rifle and took aim. Just as I was about to shoot I heard the train whistle. I jumped to the side trying not to get hit. My feet went out from under me and I landed weird on my shoulder. I accidently discharged the rifle and hit the fox as he tried to jump down the other side.

After the train passed I went to see if the fox had run away. It hadn't moved. One shot, one kill, and absolutely no skill involved.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA
reply to post by Full_Vision

Agreed too. Unless it's for population control or the animal is a nuisance. Or like a couple posted, the animal is hurt beyond repair.

Do people really eat giraffe? How about rhino? Elephant? Bear? There's a lot of big game animals that I question shooting just to have a "trophy". Unless those animals are eaten, and I dont know if they are or aren't, then leave them alone. And I'm not talking just taking 10% of the choice meant and leaving the rest to rot either.

[edit on 11/12/09 by PSUSA]
I have read a number of books by hunters of African game. Anything from ivory hunters to President Theodore Roosevelt. One of the things that I noticed in common with all of them was that tribes tended to follow behind the hunters safari and after an animal was killed, they came out of the bush to butcher and take any unclaimed animal remains. This included the marrow from the bones and the entrails. Giraffe, hippo, elephant, warthog, guinea fowl, all was eaten, sometimes even in a putrified state.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
THat's good. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. It doesn't make sense that the natives would turn down some good meat that the hunter would otherwise leave to rot.

I'm not sure that excuses trophy hunting, but at least nothing goes to waste.
That kind of hunting just rubs me the wrong way, so I suppose it's enough that I won't do it. Those that do, well, it's your choice.

It's like tying a deer on the hood to show everyone that "See? I killed a deer! Are you impressed by my mighty hunting prowess?"

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I agree with others there are no "lucky" shots IMO -- it's all skill

My BEST shot was when one of our roosters decided to attack a friend of our's 2yr old girl -- scratched her all to hell. I was at work and my 16yr old son went out to catch and dispatch him for dinner . . . but he couldn't catch the darn thing!

By the time I got home an hour later the rooster was so spooked neither of us could get within 30 yards of him. So I grabbed my Savage .22, aimed for the head (didn't want to spoil any meat!), and nailed him right through the eye, while he was running, from about 25yds.

We ate him for dinner that night. Tasted horrible. I think it had to do with how worked up he was for the hour or so before we killed him.

Originally posted by Full_Vision

On a side note I somewhat agree with Full_Vision on this. I do agree that wanton waste is bad, and wrong. I don't necessarily think you need to eat EVERYTHING you kill. Living on a farm there are lots of reasons to kill animals that are pests, cause problems and you just don't want around. Skunks eat the crap out of my chicken eggs and sorry but I'm not eating a skunk. Same with opossums. We sometimes sit on the roof at night, set out a small pile of dog food under the spotlight on the barn and pick off rats coming out to eat. Again, another pest animal I have *MORE* than enough of and need to be "thinned out" a bit. Rabbits do damage to my vegetable garden and we shoot them frequently too, although we do often eat those and I always save the pelts.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA

It's like tying a deer on the hood to show everyone that "See? I killed a deer! Are you impressed by my mighty hunting prowess?"
Where I grew up, most people hide their deer, mostly because they weren't tagged.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
with a rifle..... in the nam I fired and it went into the barrel of a weapon charlie was getting ready to fire.....

So what happenned after it went into his barrel? I bet MR. VC needed to change his pants after that.... If he lived through the shot!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I once shot a guy in lasertag from behind without looking...
From a pretty good distance, too, but I can't guess exactly since, well, I wasn't looking. My friend was REALLY surprised!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6

Originally posted by lilwolf
with a rifle..... in the nam I fired and it went into the barrel of a weapon charlie was getting ready to fire.....

So what happenned after it went into his barrel? I bet MR. VC needed to change his pants after that.... If he lived through the shot!

I remember he was knocked flat on his ass...and the AK came apart.... someone else capped him right after that....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join