It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy your children toy weapons for Christmas and you could face an armed raid, police warn parents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I would never buy a child a toy weapon... If I wanted him to learn about the use of deadly force, I'd buy him a real firearm...

Which is exactly what MY dad (who was a cop) did. My first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. Shooting trap with my dad I learned how to properly handle, shoot, and clean a firearm. I also learned the proper respect of of such an instrument.

Unfortunately, our friends across the pond don't have that option.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

I got a .22 Ruger pistol for Christmas one year, think I was 12 or 13.

I teach my children about firearms and keep them around the house. They dont play with them because they arent some mystery hidden in the closet and even if they did they know how to clear a firearm as soon as they pick it up. My 14 year old is about to get a new .308 and will be passing her Cricket on to her 11 year old sister.

I know that if there are problems at the house while I am away my girls can protect themselves.

Funny thing about having 5 children and even more guns, weve never had an accidental discharge in the family.

BTW: my son has toy guns, and the few times he has actually pointed them at something alive he felt my belt on his backside. THAT is how you teach firearms safety, not by spreading fear of a valuable tool.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by cavscout]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What an enormously huge, steaming pile of Bovine turd.

Well, I don’t think that was necessary.

Look at that English overreaction! Please, don’t beat me. Maybe you shouldn’t have guns.

I think the info came from the UN, actually, listing the UK as a decidedly dangerous place.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightoftheComet
No doubt! I am shocked by the total lack of freedom in the UK. Any police try to raid my home without a warrant is going to be an issue.

HAHAHA! Oh, the irony....

You say "I am amazed at the lack of freedom in the UK", then go on to state a complete untruth showing the world you actually don't know anything about which your apparently amazed by..

They need warrants here too you know....

Have you actually ever visited the UK? What is it that makes you think we have a total lack of freedom?

Aside from being able to shoot each other all day and night, what is it you can do that I cannot?

In fact, I can pretty much gurantee that there are things both of us can do that other cannot, for example, if I was caught with some cannabis in the UK, I'd get a slapped wrist and be sent on my merry way, in the US it seems to land you hard time inside...

Actually, yes. I have been to the UK. As I said, I am completely amazed by the lack of freedoms in your country. You have 24-hour closed-circuit tv watching your every move. Your government is about ready to force you to register a kitchen knife. Like the typical brit, you take my criticisms of your country personally. Its not you, its your government that I despise.

Cannabis? Really? that's where you are going to go with this? Ok, lets do that. 1. Depends on what state you live in (California for example has decriminalized marijuana) and my state says any amount under 1 oz is a misdemeanor so that depends. If you are trying to distribute marijuana, you could get into trouble.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Yes we do, on private property. We respect the rights of private property owners to film their goings on. My government does not have cctv outside of government offices.

Contrary to popular, misguided and ill-informed belief, the UK doesn't have reams of "Government run" CCTV everywhere. In fact, 95% of all CCTV in the UK is privately owned, in shops, businesses and the like.

The only public CCTV systems are in town centres and traffic monitoring, which constitute only a small fraction of the total CCTV systems in use.

The commonly cited "fact" that your caught on camera 300 times a day is based upon a report which studied London only and most of the times you are "caught" on camera is when you pass or enter a shop. I have read this report and can happily quote it from memory. I assume you too have read this report, seeing as you're an expert on the matter?

Oh, yes you do have public CCTV systems. In Airports, traffic monitoring, shops and in schools, which is a step further than in the UK. You can kid yourself that you dont have them, but you do.

Here in the UK, we are also protected by Data Protection laws, which enable us, if we wanted to, to request all images of a CCTV operator that we could be in and require clear signage displayed where a CCTV system is in use. You do not have that protection in the US.

Originally posted by cavscoutI have two friends who have experienced your sub-standard health care system. One of them had to quit his job and move back to the states because his wife couldnt recieve the care she needed promptly.

Ah, anecdotal and completley unverifiable testimony, the last refuge of someone with nothing to back up what he is saying.

I should state, however, that I have no personal experience with your health care system.

Indeed, that is obvious. Our life expanctcy and infant mortality rates speak volumes however, plus the fact the US spends close to 15% of it's GDP on healthcare, whereas the UK spends around 10% but gets a better return, because our doctors arem not out to make huge profits of people dying.

The marijuana laws in the US are not hard to find, just Google "marijuana laws by state."

Thanks for that, I know where I'll be going for my US holidays now. The link your provided for UK law is somewhat squiffy. Most people wouldn't even see the inside of a cell, let alone a courtroom for possession unless you're carrying a sack of it around with you.

So far as the crack, I have nothing but anecdotal evidence from my own personal experience working with Las Vegas Metro Police Department. But thanks for calling me a liar, glad we can keep things civil after all these years.

Never did call you a liar, I just said I find it difficult to believe. Don't take it so personally.

Sorry, I didnt know about this source.

Does this mean the story is not true?

It means the story is most likely blown all out of proportion, stuffed with inciteful writing and leaving out key points of discussion. The Mail is a right-wing, reactionary pile of #e.

Note, only the Mail is carrying this story, because they know it'll get the 50+ crowd of middle englanders riled up about the "nanny state" and start spewing bile about a story which before they couldn't have cared less about.

For reference, if ever posting or reading a story from the UK, beware of the political bias of many of our rags. The worst offenders are The Mail, The Sun and The Guardian. They will sensationalise any story according to their political leanings and often just plain make stuff up.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Is the Guardian an OK news source?

It has a special section dedicated to reporting knife crime in the UK, because stabbings are so uncommon there.

Only a suicidal person pulls a knife in the US, that crap will get you shot.

www.guardian.co.uk...

EDIT: I see you dont like Guardian either. Do you have any legit news sources over there?

[edit on 6-12-2009 by cavscout]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Any facts you dig up about crime rate CLEARLY show the US has more incidents of murder and violent crime than the UK. In fact, your murder rate is twice ours!

Go check... Go on... I'll be waiting...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

See the post above yours...

The Guardian is the left-wing version of the Mail!! If it doesn't get in one paper, the other will carry it, but for the opposite reasons.

EDIT: Oh, about stabbings, they really are quite uncommon. I have lived in some rough neighbourhoods and been mugged twice, but never once had a knife pulled on. In fact, a stabbing is such a big event it makes the national news. If it was common, then it wouldn't, would it?

[edit on 6/12/09 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

What an enormously huge, steaming pile of Bovine turd.

The UK is a violent and dangerous place? And worse than the US?

Pull the other one. Where are you pulling this little load of dangly gonad from? We have a much lower rate of violent crime than the US, period. Lower gun crime, lower knife crime, lower rates of almost every violent crime recordable.

You really do like to peddle rubbish, don't you?

BECAUSE YOU ARE A COUNTRY THE SIZE OF ONE OF OUR STATES!!!!! Of course your going to have LOWER crime rate! That doesn't mean jack! Also, I believe violent gun crimes went up in your country once they took that right away from the law abiding citizens!

So, since your country has banned firearms, shouldnt there be ZERO gun crime? ermmmm? Why isn't there 0 gun crime in your country?

Im just curious.............. oh, thats right! its CRIMINALS WHO USE FIREARMS IN THAT MANNER!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Actually, yes. I have been to the UK.

Then you were obviously not paying attention.

You have 24-hour closed-circuit tv watching your every move.

No, we don't.

Source please?

Your government is about ready to force you to register a kitchen knife.

No, they are not.

Source please?

Like the typical brit, you take my criticisms of your country personally. Its not you, its your government that I despise.

We hate them too, but if you're going to criticise, then do it properly. Thats what us Brits take offence at! Your stating untruths.

Cannabis? Really? that's where you are going to go with this?

It was just one of quite a few things I can do that would land me in hot water in the US. Like I said, I am sure there are things you guys can do and we cannot. It works both ways. What gets me going is you Yanks thinking and propogating the myth that the UK is some Stasi-run Police State, which it isn't.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet

Oh man... Did you hit your head this morning when you got up?

The statistics are done on a per 1000 people basis....

Thought that would be painfully obvious, but never mind...

EDIT: We haven't banned firearms, anyway. Check your facts matey. I could go and get a gun quite easily, i just don't want one.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

EDIT: I see you dont like Guardian either. Do you have any legit news sources over there?

The Times, the Telegraph, the BBC, Channel 4? Just a few of the good ones.

All these can be relied upon to have a reasonably balanced and accurate report on something. Anything else is shady.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Thanks for that, I know where I'll be going for my US holidays now.

Come to Tennessee. The drug laws here are draconian, but that is why you dont smoke with cops you dont know.

I'll take you shooting, make a believer out of you. Assuming, of course, we can afford ammo.

And if you accidentaly shoot yourself, you can see how good our health care is!

BTW, a note on health care: I once went to the emergancy room for hemipalegic migrane, a not very life threatening situation but it can rarely lead to stroke. Within an hour I had an MRI, a CT scan, and ultrasounds done on my arteries. I was given a private room the whole time.

They didnt ask for insurance info till I was discharged. I didnt have my insurance card, i just signed something saying I would be responsible for my bills.

Our healthcare isnt as bad over here as the media wants it to seem. Infact, it is GREAT. Life expectancy is probably due more to the fact that you arent as fat over there and dont drive as often.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Oh man... Did you hit your head this mornign when you got up?

The statistics are done on a per 1000 people basis....

Thought that would be painfully obvious, but never mind...

you didnt say per capita, but regardless, if your police state is so much better, then why hasn't it eliminated all violent crime?

I suppose its a matter of preference. I would prefer to have the ability to defend myself in a situation involving a firearm. Most criminals usually want to find people who are not armed. While the whole gun thing is not the end all be all solution to everything, the founders of my country found it important enough to place it second only to the freedom of speech.

People, Europeans especially, always say, "that was hundreds of years ago and that's not relevant!"Well.....the founding fathers had plenty of experience to the contrary.

Marijuana is not going to get you prison time in the US unless you are distributing it. AS I said, its a misdemeanor in some states and a fine in others. (Alaska, California, etc.)

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Not even a fine in Alaska, totaly legal.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Not even a fine in Alaska, totaly legal.

yeah, I thought that was the case. Most people are like, "What?! but thats a conservative state!" Well, contrary to popular belief, a lot of conservatives are liberal on drug policies. They believe it to be largely a matter of self discipline. In fact, Drew Carey (a comedian) once defined a libertarian as a conservative who is liberal on the drug issue.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

you didnt say per capita, but regardless, if your police state is so much better, then why hasn't it eliminated all violent crime?

Thats the thing though, we're not a Police State!!

A slef defeating argument if ever there was one

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Thats the thing though, we're not a Police State!!

A slef defeating argument if ever there was one

I say you are therefore you are
lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Learn the facts before commenting.

As

The White European is facing extinction by suicide and invasion. It literally doesnt matter how safe or healthy you think you are. You will be an Arab Muslim in 50 years living under Sharia.
Oh yeah , you arent allowed to say anything bad about Muslims in Fair England or its off to jail for you. Dont expect us to bail you out this time, we are going down too.

American health care today is to health care what american airline security was to airline security before 9/11.

Default Re: White birthrate in England?????
I agree entirely, i think we are now down to 1.6 kids whilst the immigrants and averaging around 4 kids, doesn't take much maths to work out the end result does it.

The only thing in our favour is that they they are good at kiling each other, sadly though, they are taking out our people as well.

Default Re: White birthrate in England?????
Britain's ethnic minorities are growing at 15 times the rate of the white population, newly-published research shows.

Data collected by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) between 1992-1994 and 1997-1999 showed that the number of people from minority ethnic groups grew by 15% compared to 1% for white people.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by RRokkyy]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

The night is darkest before the dawn. Many have been circling down that veritable drain. When they see the bottom, the author of the drama, they wake up. Scapegoat seeking miscreants we seem to be sometimes. This blame game causes society to go down the drain. You don't do this. This is the problem. No, this is the problem. Perpetually attacking branches, thinking the roots will somehow go away. We have spiritual weeds which need to be uprooted. We need to plant life-giving seeds and stop this madness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join