It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study proves someones "god" is nothing more than one's own image! Religion crumbles...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
A man will bust a tire on his car and curse god and all the saints the whole time it'll take to change the tire and most likely the rest of the day to come... but NEVER... ohhh NEVER will he stop and think that PERHAPS if it wasn't of his tire maybe 1 mile down the road he would of french kissed a 18 wheeler...

You'll have kids too someday... Imagine one that turns to you because he cares... and the other one you only hear of him when he needs money or get his butt out of trouble AGAIN... which one will you answer first... which one at some point will you let life teach him a lesson???

or the ever so popular "Why if god is so powerful does he let Satan/Lucifer do his deeds"...

Well isn't it just perfect when you have enough faith in your people that you leave them on their own knowing you've got a clown wrecking havoc sorting it all out for you... Cuz in the end its evident that a line will be drawn and good and bad people will take their sides... And from there it wont be hard to tell who from who...

We are our own judges... Just like your fathers let you do dumb # sometimes so you can learn a lesson out of something doesn't mean he's not there or doesn't care.

Has anyone else notice that the rise in violence, rape, kids murdering other kids or parents killing their own child is directly in opposite proportion with the decline of people that has faith and fear that there's a god???
Thank you atheism keep taking hope out of childrens and shaping this world in accordance to the belief that there's no god... its okay if you do this or that... you wont ever burn in hell... why would you be worried of doing it then... 10 people rapes a girl and others watch without doing nothing... its okay there's no god...

I can't tell you if there's a God or not... but i can tell you two things that are 100% sure...

I rather live with hope then die knowing a served a good cause then die miserable still wondering...

Because my dear Atheist friend... there's a day comming that you won't ever be able to escape... and on that day you'll be laying in bed counting the hours because you'll know your time's running out and today might be your last and you'll take a look back on your past life and thats exactly where it'll slap you accross the face .

WHAT IF!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Sorry. Didn't mean to come across as harsh, if I did. Although you seem to have a wonderful sense of humor, so I doubt you took offense. And yes, you are right. Ironically, many in the world are caught in a web of IMAGE, then FEAR, then PRIDE, then VANITY, then NARCISSISM, then LUST. The LUST essentially makes people programmable by those with more worldly knowledge and power. This makes us all interwoven slaves. We must break this web.

We must not view the superficial as if it is profound.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What does peoples' belief in God have anything to do with whether God exists or not?

I'm not a particularly religious-minded person, but if God DOES exist, how my brain thinks about God would not change that fact.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by orwellianunenlightenment
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

You are very curious to me. Are you a joker to the tyrant? Are you a tyrant to the joker? Do you not think THE drama is so close to conclusion that you should maybe play that "ridiculous metaphor" Christ? Or do you use the phrase "ridiculous metaphor" to create a vacuum in which a Christ-like figure will emerge? Christ might be seen as a literal "ridiculous metaphor," as Christ is a higher form in the realm of characters, one which ridicules the ego with the planted seeds, enabling humanity to wag its tails, rather than having its tails wag the human. You clearly know the game quite well. However, I do hope you know that the game is almost over, and the conclusion to the drama will inevitably be different than what many now think. The dragon eats itself. It cannot rule exposed. The second it fully ascends, it falls into the ashes. I cannot judge whether you are right or wrong, but we shall see.

I am no tyrant for I wield no power. Similarly, I do not seek any power. Some may see me as a joker of sorts, but that is not my intention.

Perhaps a quick clarification is in order. I believe there are two separate things Christ and the Christ Metaphor. Christ was a carpenter and amateur philosopher who lived and died over 2000 years ago and was seeking to undermine the neophobic power structures of the day.

The Christ Metaphor is a fabrication developed across the centuries to build a new but equally neophobic power structure. There is no reliable record of the teachings of the actual Christ, because the bible is a work of man that has been manipulated and altered to empower the church and encourage the subservience of its members.

Since about 15 minutes after the death of Jesus Christ, his "followers" have been concerned with first the Christ Legend, then the Myth and now the Metaphor. We have played a game of "operator" for generations and the orginal message is long gone.

I have no interest in saviors or messiahs.

I have an interest in perceptions. Which is what originally drew me to this thread as the study in question is about nothing more than perceptions.

If it seems that I am hung up in the same patterns and cycles as everyone else, it is because I am engaging the semantic pathways that keep us so tangled up in ourselves.

This is my gig. I am working far more carefully with those closest to me, but am occasionally moved to chip away at the old order. I truly believe that scriptural religion is one of the great obstacles to enlightenment (if only because it is the most widespread form of dogma), and so I inject my own odd notions into things.

As to the coming changes. There is no THE Game. There are many Games being played and things will be getting Very Interesting very soon, I do not face these changes with fear. They will be largely invisible to the majority of the population, playing out on plains that are just on the periphery of perception.

The ripple effect will be devastating, but I am certain that these eventualities have been planned for and things will occur as they should.

The thing one thing that I fear, is the reaction of those whose entire world view is built on the most literal/dogmatic interpretations of the scriptural religions. Many will not like what is coming because it will not meet their expectations.

My ultimate goal is to put the "Maybe" out there. After all, buildings survive earthquakes by having enough wiggle room.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by orwellianunenlightenment

Perhaps God can be viewed as loving all, but eventually powerfully correcting those who harm God's other creations. After all, you are not the end all be all. After all, any right you have also bears a responsibility. You want a right to a free will? It comes with consequences, for better or for worse. If you think you have the right to enslave another, the response is that you will inevitably be enslaved. And maybe look at you as a society or a culture, and not merely as just you.

Ah but that's just it! Many a Christian will tell you that someone could live an objectively good and virtuously life: never harm a soul, do good deeds, help the ill and needy, giving selflessly of themselves for no reason other than the fact that they feel it is right, but if that same person says the bible is nonsense and the Jesus was just a carpenter, then that good person is doomed.

I know this is not the take of all Christians, but the some of the loudest and most powerful have spoken exactly this way.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333

Originally posted by reasonable
Didn't see that response coming
-sarcasm-

You lack an understanding of the article but it is to be expected.

What I find more intriuging is the motivation for caring what other people believe. What if you proved beyond a doubt that there was no god but found people who believed, never the less gained something positive?

What we get from these people are them trying to shove their crap down our throats. Don't even get me started about what they are trying to do at my child's school. I will fight this lunacy as much as possible. I will fight for freedom from religion. All the xtian zealots that have been pushing their agenda for centuries are not getting a free ride anymore with this bollocks. This angers them (one has a thread stating they are fuming mad!).. I've probably been attacked more in this thread than anyone else on ATS, but I could care less. They don't scare me, their fear that has worked for centuries does not scare me. It is the fight for freedom and truth that has more people than ever not ticking the "god" box on their census forms and turning away from the church(scam). Taking these lunatics on does not make me a jerk, idiot, troll or tool -it just means they don't like it and I am a threat.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I leave for ten minutes and--BOOM! Everyone is back to lobbing hate grenades at each other or going off topic to try and emphasize a post they made pages back that no one actually read in its entirety.

This makes my case several times over. No one is truly interested in the original post which was clearly about a study in "duh". No one save a scant few is actually typing about it.

These are troll havens.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I would agree with you that the Christ metaphor has been spread in such a way. However, it was tainted by the egos of humanity, as you said. I do not see it as phobic of a new power structure in the least. In fact, it seeks neo. I view it as vying for the symbiotic spread of power, as something which perceives the entire gamut of consequences in duality, and as such, comes up with a perfect reconciliation, allowing for both peace and dynamic free will. It is something which has never happened to my knowledge, and it is quite new. And I still am heavily leaning to this being a wave in the not-too-distant future. Trust me. I have my reasons.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Some of you are validating the reason NATAS WAS CASTED DOWN HERE lol. You are the reasons why so many humans are tested and failed.
But I bet if some MAGICAL SCIENTIST created some GOD LIKE VISUALS SAY THE GOD PARTICAL YOU WOULD ALL BE BANDWAGONNING HIM FOR PRODUCING VISUALS FOR YOU TOO BELIEVE IN, SMH HOW EASY OF TARGETS YOU ARE. YET YOUR SCIENTIST CANNOT EVEN TELL WHAT TIME IT REALLY IS. THEY SAY EARTH WAS CREATED @ A CERTAIN TIME THEY SAY THE UNIVERSE WAS CREATED @ A CERTAIN TIME BUT ALL YOUR HUMAN TIME IS BASED ON THE STAR/SUN ROTATIONS GO AHEAD SMARTY PANTS NO IT ALLS -SEE YA ON JUDGMENT DAY- what time will that be or how many star/sun rotations will it be lmao. SO HOW DO YOU TELL TIME IN OTHER GALAXIES???? ONLY GOD KNOWS SUCH INTELLIGENCE NOT your KNOWLEDGED SCIENTIST

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The fool has said," there is no God". Then comes death, then judgement. For the wages of sin is death. You are going to die someday because the word says you will. Not the other way around. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is LORD. This is reality like it or not.

Dude, this is why Christians gets the hate.

You know, I was watching Smallville re-run last night, and I can't help but remembering this particular dialogue: "Kneel before ZOD!! Kiss my hand!!" Sounds familiar to the post above?

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, but yeah you get the picture.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori
I leave for ten minutes and--BOOM! Everyone is back to lobbing hate grenades at each other or going off topic to try and emphasize a post they made pages back that no one actually read in its entirety.

This makes my case several times over. No one is truly interested in the original post which was clearly about a study in "duh". No one save a scant few is actually typing about it.

These are troll havens.

As you said, the OP was about a case study in "duh"

I think the study has been weighed, measured and found wanting. That said, the OP was clearly looking to start another round of Irresistable Force -v- Immovable object, and sometimes this game is sort of fun.

The OP gets what he wants. The participants (presumably) get what they want or stop posting. Poo is flung. Barbs exchanged. Maybe a little cross polination of ideas will take place. It's all in good fun.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
this is nothing new studies have been done before with about the same conclusion.
me as a believer have been waiting for this as it is part of prophecy only this time the internet is here makeing the outcome more likely to be of total fullfilment add the youth today world politics climate corrupt goverment war same sex marriage and we are there i take my religion and belief jesus loves me than anything in this corrupt world. dont forget christians being persicuted bring it on i say

ps and i am far from a good christian and hope to be forgiven at judgement but at the age of 38 my eyes was opened not that i dident believe in jesus just that i thought being a christian /baptised was enough now i pray every night for forgiveness for lots of things from my youth and run ins with old bill and divorce .divorce is my biggest worry but ill die for him

[edit on 12/1/2009 by dashar]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMar
Looks like reason accomplished something. Post an article, antagonize, belittle and laugh at anyone who disagrees and then run off without addressing any alternate points of view.

All that without mentioning the 27,000 children that died of starvation today, good job.

Del

I didn't run off. It's called sleep. Not everyone lives in the USA.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333

Didn't see that response coming
-sarcasm-

You lack an understanding of the article but it is to be expected.

What I find more intriuging is the motivation for caring what other people believe. What if you proved beyond a doubt that there was no god but found people who believed, never the less gained something positive?

What we get from these people are them trying to shove their crap down our throats. Don't even get me started about what they are trying to do at my child's school. I will fight this lunacy as much as possible. I will fight for freedom from religion. All the xtian zealots that have been pushing their agenda for centuries are not getting a free ride anymore with this bollocks. This angers them (one has a thread stating they are fuming mad!).. I've probably been attacked more in this thread than anyone else on ATS, but I could care less. They don't scare me, their fear that has worked for centuries does not scare me. It is the fight for freedom and truth that has more people than ever not ticking the "god" box on their census forms and turning away from the church(scam). Taking these lunatics on does not make me a jerk, idiot, troll or tool -it just means they don't like it and I am a threat.

No, "taking these lunatics on" does not make you a jerk, idiot, or troll. The manner in which you do these things is what qualifies you for trolldom. You aren't even staying on topic and it is your thread. You came looking for a fight and call them zealots. Mr Pot have you looked in the mirror? You're the same color as Mr Kettle.

You create thread after thread on some topic that obviously you are not even interested enough in to post about just so that the ATS landmine is primed.

I could care less who you like, who you think is a lunatic, etc. I do care that this website's T&Cs keeps telling us that we must behave with decorum and respect and yet allows the type of disrespect and anger that belongs in middle school, not among adults.

It is an indignity to intellect to call this discussion. It is nothing more than "I know you are but what am I". No one gets anything out of it at all. Everyone, including you, just "preaches" to their own personal choir.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Many seem to have to be an angel to another's demon in the grand drama. Histrionic fools. I have been a fool as well. Too bad this turns us all into demons, as we all have angles and are ready in a war stance. It makes this world a hell hierarchy, the very thing people claim to be against. If only people could see roots and not branches. I do have faith, however, that it is not these people's fault in a sense, as they truly know not what they do. I also have faith that the unfolding cycles of history and their very own self-story has this tendency to wake people up. I believe we all look for the logic of our centers. It is why we weave these circles of drama, in order to reveal the "mystery."

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

O.M.G. you have a child?

Hey ladies and gentlemen, I think I just found out what is wrong with this world.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

..What we get from these people are them trying to shove their crap down our throats. Don't even get me started about what they are trying to do at my child's school. I will fight this lunacy as much as possible. I will fight for freedom from religion...

What does that have anything to do with "A human brain uses its own attitudes when forming its idea of God" (which is so damn obvious), and also what does it have anything to do with "does God exist?"

So, organized religions have some bad aspects (OMG! newsflash!) -- However, what does that have to do with the study you linked in the OP?

[edit on 12/1/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Originally posted by radarloveguy

And mad science has now proved , beyond doubt , that they're mad .

Who pays that Espley idiot ? The world is a mess BECAUSE people

refuse to think or act like Jesus ! .... God has a special place for

non-believers , but they just won't believe it , till they get there !

Really? Why do you hate God so much that you insult him by projecting the petty and useless human emotion of vengeance upon him? He has a special place (presumably of suffering) for him to cast non-believers. Is his ego really so fragile?

The burning only comes though after we do not bend the knee and bow down before the lord. THEN we are cast into an eternity of fire and torture. So let me check my options:

1. Spend eternity in heaven with a bunch of xtian self righteous zealots and a psychopathic sky daddy

2. Spend eternity burning in hellfire experiencing unimaginable pain and torture

I'll take option 2

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

Take a step back look at your post, take a deep breath and think for a second who's post is this and what the post is trying to shove in who's throat... your posting a post about how people shape their god according to their own image and then try to force it on others... yet your doing the same... arent you seeing the irony in trying to extinguish fire with more fire??? Looks to me like your just mad at everything and looking for a good fight... I think you than more than any of us here believe there's a god and its sickening you and its yourself your trying to convince in the end of it all....

perhaps you just need to pray dude...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Ah but I have looked within myself. I have opened myself up to the possibilities and it is that very opening that has allowed me to dismiss the Christ Metaphor and all scripture based religions as too narrow, reductive and outright insulting to the Universe.

So you are saying that by being opened to possibilities you have closed a possibility because you did not agree with what Christ had to say? What part did you disagree with? Was it the part where he said,"Love your enemies."? Or was it the part where he said,"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."?

I sigh because the believer -vs- non-believer debate is always running in the same sorry circles trapped in these semantic language loops that do not allow them to open their minds.

There are many who would disagree about their eye's not being opened by this sorry circles in the semantic loops.

You say I sound like I know what's going to happen. The fact is that I don't know what is going to happen, but I can rule out a few things that are not going to happen. The scriptural concepts of the end times are patently absurd if taken literally and vague enough to have happened a half dozen times over already if taken metaphorically. The notions of Heaven and Hell are slightly more interesting from a metaphorical standpoint as each "soul" will perceive differently the disembodiment and transcendence to pure energy that accompanies death. Some will perceive it as Hell others as Heaven.

How much studying of scripture have you partaken in? Did you know that some of the earliest churches thought everyone was going to heaven? As we have learned in this life every action has a consequence. Good or Bad.

for one see it for what it is: recycling of energy in a unimaginably vast though ultimately closed system.

There is no proof of that either. So what makes you so sure? Sounds as though your saying that everything is connected. That could be associated with religious beliefs.

For the time being, my trip to this plain of existence is simple enough to understand. I have been made aware of my general purpose and am working to assist in the betterment of the "souls" assigned to me, just as I have met others who are here to guide me.

Okay...So you have souls assigned to you would imply that a higher being would have assigned those souls to you. If their is no higher being's in positions of power, who assigned them to you?

Should things get excessively interesting on the Earthly plain, I will not consider it to be THE end times for such a notion is the pinnacle of silly hubris. I will instead see it as the latest in a neverending cycle of growth opportunities.

For there to be an earthly plain would also imply higher and lower plains. Kind of like heaven and hell. To think that a earth changing global event cannot occur? Well scientists and religion both agree that it could happen. Never ending cycle of growth opportunities? Only for the one's that survive.

All of this will be done without having to buy in to the nearly Dadaist notion of a divine carpenter getting nailed to a gigantic piece of irony over 2000 years ago in order to "free" mankind from the "sin" of becoming cognizant of something beyond the weird conditional love of a neurotic skybound father figure.

Your sarcasm speaks for itself.
Definition of sarcasm:

witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of ...
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

So by this reasoning I am now more deeply convinced of God.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Conclusion]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join