It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Art Of Letter Writing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Recently i received a hand written letter from a school friend who is currently in Germany studying. It was my birthday so she sent me a card and letter. I realised that this was the first hand written letter i had ever received in my life. Obviously i sent one back, even though she was just a text message away, and it felt brilliant.

What a shame that technology has destroyed the art of letter writing. Sentiments have become mere acronyms, abbreviations and inaccurate pictures.

I mean, its a pretty sad state of affairs when 'I love you' becomes 'i

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Darn well said!!!

I recieved and responded to a letter a month ago. I love it...so much more personal

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
you know..now that i think of it...there has been only one time in my short 22 years that I have received a letter. that was in 2nd grade, under a pen pale thing my teacher set up with a school in New England i think it was.

it is kind of sad.

next time i want to check in on an old friend, i think i'll send a letter.

thanks for the reminder of this lost form of communication.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Love it!

It's something I'll really have to get back into doing..

In this high-tech age, it kinda gets lost, but to have something tangible and carefully crafted like a handwritten letter is just something else

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Great thread. You said all I wanted to say.

I remember that to receive a hand written letter from someone was an honor.

It saddens me that it is becoming a lost art.

I have letters written to my mother from my Dad during WW2 before they were married. They are priceless.

There is a move going on to stop teaching Cursive writing and only teach students how to print. This is outrageous to me.

Write more letters. Keep the art alive.

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Great thread, i totaly agree.

I love writing letters, always have done. I usualy use an Italic script on the front and even a wax seal. it just makes the letter all the more nicer to receive.

Not that you have to do anything fancy though, it's just nice getting a handwritten letter through the post.

I try and encourage this in my kids too.

Funnily enough i went out and treated myself to some nice writing paper, i have a thing for fountain pens and recently found the ideal paper match for my Mont Blanc pen.

It's got to be better than an enail or a text.

CX.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I used to get letters quite regularly from my Uncle Rex, but he sadly died last year so now I don't get letters and I don't get to send them. Now a days its all facebook and googlemail or texting or even telephone. I should start writing letters again. Could be my new years resolution!

Rama D. Filofax on letter writing

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I've been writing post cards from college and sending them out to my family and friends about once a term.

It does take extra time, money, and effort. But it makes people really happy. I got a Christmas card from one of my friends who lives in Kentucky, too.

top topics

join