It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss voters favour minaret ban: exit polls

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

No, what I am saying is, is this country banning all structures, or just Muslim structures?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
BTW when is the last time an Islamic country attacked a Christian one? Make no mistake, "we" are the bad guys..

[edit on 30-11-2009 by rhinoceros]

My good rip, stop bending over, have a bit of self belief

Which CHristian country are you referring to- America, a "christian" country, really, it is a theocratic Christian country is it, where abortion can occur where there is large scale family breakdown and lone parents get state subsidies- really, America is a theocratic state which attacked a "muslim" state to expand Christianity, really- make no mistake you are talking rubbish

.........and by the way, I speak as someone who thinks the US/UK had no business getting involved in those hell holes in Iraq and Afghanistan

[edit on 30-11-2009 by blueorder]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

No, what I am saying is, is this country banning all structures, or just Muslim structures?

the specific proposal specifically related to the erection of minarets- and a majority approved such a restriction

Kudos

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

I see, now that is interesting..

Anyone know the % of muslim population in this country?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Ethiopia, Turkey, Iraq. Even Hamas, in Gaza, threaten to execute any extremist attacking Christians. The Palestine Authority always attend the Christian service, at Bethlehem, on Christmas Day. Majority of the Cabinet is Muslim, but still attend the service.

Care me to add more examples?

Well that's a giant can of worms.

Some have smaller newer Churches and others have Churches that are from periods in their history that predate Islam. I'm not sure you understand what I mean by Cathedrals.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

"officially", around 5%

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

wow..

something doesnt add up..you think this is disinformation/misinformation (headline grabber)?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

wow..

something doesnt add up..you think this is disinformation/misinformation (headline grabber)?

sorry, not sure what you mean, which part is disinformation?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Supposedly around 5/10 % and growing.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Putting out something by the media to gauge a response globally/locally

I am sure FOX NEWS has done something like this in the past with Ron Paul campaign at one point (obvious loose analogy)

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
After reading through this, many here are applying their non Swiss opinion to Switzerland. Why attack the Swiss for them wanting to keep their country Swiss?

Nobody is advocating that the growing Muslim population cannot worship. Just not change the look and feel of the endogenous country and populace.

This is simply a case IMO of the people choosing the direction their country is heading. Actually it is refreshing to see the people making choices for themselves even if it is a bit controversial.

couldn't agree more

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Putting out something by the media to gauge a response globally/locally

I am sure FOX NEWS has done something like this in the past with Ron Paul campaign at one point (obvious loose analogy)

Sorry, it may be Monday sluggishness, but I don't know what you mean

The Swiss genuinely brought this proposal to referendum and backed it by a large majority

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Oh.. damn should have read the OP

Thought this was a poll taken by a newspaper haha

ignore my stupid a$$ please

*trying to post in too many threads at once*

Will now put on my dunce cap and watch conversation from here fellas

[edit on 30-11-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Oh.. damn should have read the OP

Thought this was a poll taken by a newspaper haha

ignore my stupid a$$ please

haha, no problem friend

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This from the article:

They said that the minarets -- of which Switzerland has just four -- were not architectural features with religious characteristics, but symbolised a "political-religious claim to power, which challenges fundamental rights."

Yah right!
People with prejudices will go to any length to make up factoids to try and prove their case. This is disingenuous.

Minarets have always been a part of the design of mosques with the very religious purpose of calling people to prayer. That they might just happen to resemble modern day rockets is a silly stretch of the imagination, and for sure has nothing to do with their original design.

This is prejudice, pure and simple. While two wrongs never make a right, I suppose the Swiss are free to make their country as intolerant as the most severe Muslim country. It is their prerogative.

Doesn't mean that they deserve any respect for it. We have laws in the west that govern what is acceptable. If anyone, of any religion, is advocating violence; then they should be dealt with by the law. Legislating building features is not going to address the issue of violence or culture.

A personal experience: I grew up in Canada in an Eastern European Christian family where the women always had their head covered in Church, and many of the older women always had a babushka (shawl) on their head whenever out in public. I recently had an occasion to help out at a mosque in my neighbourhood and was quite amazed to find the women their to have the exact same, friendly, kind and helpful demeanor that I remember from the women around me when I grew up.

I don't know why that surprised me, but it has given me a new, warmer perspective on Islam. I think the differences are not so great as some westerners might think.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Yeah, Im not buying that either.

This is BS, and I usually dont give 2 sharts in my pants about this stuff

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Looking at things from a empirical point of view makes it all warm and fuzzy babushka. Looking at Islam from a practical pragmatic point of view changes the scenery dramatically.

Islam is not Christianity in a different flavor.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I'm not sure you understand what I mean by Cathedrals.

Seeing I live in Canterbury, home of the Church of England and Canterbury Cathedral is the mother church of the Anglican faith - I think I know a fair bit.

Vank Cathedral's maintenance and repairs are financed by the Islamic Republic of Iran. Yes, a Islamic nation providing financial aid to Christian buildings. Syria provides the same support towards Christian communities too. Jordon has the same policy.

Saladin, during the Crusades, protected Christian buildings and allowed pilgrimage whilst under Ottoman rule.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
This is prejudice, pure and simple. While two wrongs never make a right, I suppose the Swiss are free to make their country as intolerant as the most severe Muslim country. It is their prerogative.

Yeah, that is basically it, Switzerland is very much like living in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Sudan etc, only with yodelling

Never in all my puff- relativists never cease to amaze me

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Thanks for the history lesson.

In your earlier reply you brought up how in some Islamic countries people could be prosecuted for crimes against Christians. I don't see the relevance of that considering we are talking about minarets. Second I'm pretty sure Muslims are protected under western laws.

Now back to the Cathedral issue. Do you have a link to a new "Cathedral" in a Muslim country?

No offense but you havent provided any proof.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join