It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is requesting UNRESTRICTED ACCESS to my computer?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So, here are some pics of two boxes that came up when I was uploading pics to my facebook a couple of weeks ago and yes I know it's a CIA database, I just don't care. But what I do care about is the request made by facebook! See the pics!

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here but I have two computers and I do a lot of writing on my desktop computer for my own conspiracy-ish website www.truthexposed.com

Strange thing is I also have a laptop that my girlfriend is using (in the same house) and when she uploads pics, she never got this request... until yesterday.

Given the nature of facebook's owners and funding, I'm sure they would love to get themselves UNRESTRICTED ACCESS to everyone's computers.

Images (pop in new window/tab) here:
www.truthexposed.com...
www.truthexposed.com...

Anyone know what's going on with this?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is because of the Aurigma Image Uploader that Facebook recently employed.

Aurigma Image Uploader

Image Uploader Dual consists of the ActiveX control and the Java applet. Appropriate piece of software is automatically installed on the client computer, depending on the browser. ActiveX control is installed for Internet Explorer, and Java applet is installed for other browsers. This way, Image Uploader supports all modern browsers!

Considering Aurigma is situated in Tomsk (Russia), I'd be hesitant to use their product.

However, if you switch to the BASIC Uploader in Facebook you will not be asked to use the ActiveX/Java Applet from Aurigma.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Some Guy

Wait a sec, what was the message you saw? I got some message asking me if I wanted to open a file from your site on the link you provided.

YOU are not fishing for information, are you?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Do you use gmail with facebook? Here is a suggestion from another site, best answer I could find

if your email address is in another person's address book and they choose to allow Facebook to access their information, then that person will also show up as a suggestion on your account.

www.google.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

The link goes to an image of the box that came up on my computer, that's all.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Word of advice: Get out of Facebook before its too late! Social networking sites are nothing but giant marketing scams that use and distribute your private information!!! Facebook is the worst offender!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Broonie

My FB is linked with gmail as the contact email address, I still think this is a little weird tho, the wording is just too concerning. network access, access to contacts, friend linking or something like that (if that's the action of the permission you would grant) seems more reasonable, but "unrestricted access" pretty much opens your computer right up to FB to come in and have a look around with your consent!

And you're right, the basic uploader does not produce this warning, I'll be sticking to that one I think!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

Word of advice: Get out of Facebook before its too late! Social networking sites are nothing but giant marketing scams that use and distribute your private information!!! Facebook is the worst offender!

You realize you just posted that on a social networking site? right?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

This is NOT the same. AboveTopSecret.com is an online discussion board. Yes, it may have networking features, but it does not require the same amount of personal information than the actual SNS i.e. Facebook, Bebo, Myspace...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What is this facebook you all speak of ?
Facebook bad

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

You realize you just posted that on a social networking site? right?

Weeeeeell personally don't consider this one a social networking site because by and large we don't really try to find out personally identifiable information on each other - more ideas and just ramblings etc... But sayint that of course I have friends and contacts here, I they have told me personal things that may or may not be true.... I'm no stalker! (honest
)

p.s. screw facebook

new topics

top topics

join