It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA on crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
AFP article:

www.google.com...

WASHINGTON — The world is not coming to an end on December 21, 2012, the US space agency insisted Monday in a rare campaign to dispel widespread rumors fueled by the Internet and a new Hollywood movie. The latest big screen offering from Sony Picture, "2012," arrives in theaters on Friday, with a 200-million-dollar production about the end of the world supposedly based on myths backed by the Mayan calendar. The doomsday scenario revolves around claims that the end of time will come as an obscure Planet X -- or Nibiru -- heads toward or collides with Earth. The mysterious planet was supposedly discovered by the Sumerians, according to claims by pseudo-scientists, paranormal activity enthusiasts and Internet theorists.

Here's a link to NASA's Q&A on the subject:

www.nasa.gov...

So, NASA attempts to assert its legitimacy on the 2012 issue. What do you think? And who are these crazy "internet theorists," anyway?! I sure would like to find out what websites they're using to spread their insidious, pseudoscientific musings.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I especially liked this part.

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
A: The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012.

Nasa Q&A

Thank you NASA, although if something were going to happen.. As if NASA would tell us anyway, especially this early.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Oops, thread already started!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As you were.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beatnietzsche

Let me just say that if I am going to pick sides I am going to pick NASA. Lets see a bunch of scientists with the best equipment in the world vs a bunch of people that failed science in high school. Looks like the choice is clear.

If there were a giant planet, brown dwarf, whatever form it took today coming hurtling toward eath through the solar system then there would be all kinds of visible and invisible effects that would be found by both astronomers from other countries as well as amateurs.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If NASA would quit waisting our tax dollars on crap like this then maybe we could get back to the Moon or prove current microb life on Mars. Oh well I guess they have to spend the money on something other than explorarion.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

If there wasn't as many scaremongers out there they wouldn't have to, it's because some people are extremely gullible (or idiotic) and think something will actually happen in 2012 due to the countless "bad" things that will apparently happen.

It's a shame money couldn't be spent more effectively.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This is good bisniss for Roland, if nothing happends 2012 , he can make a new blockbuster in 2029 and agian in 2036 etc.

Big bucks in store for roland.. I'm gonna call him and ask if he wants to be a friend..

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Its funny. the majority of people out there dont know anything at all about any of the prophecies, ideas, etc about 2012 anyway. All NASA are doing is helping publicise the movie.

they are drawing attention through MSM to something that the majority know nothing about.

more will know about it now though...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think NASA is wasting its time. There is no problem about 2012. It will all be resolved by December 22, 2012. At that time, either the world won't be here, or it will. In either case, the "problem" will take care of itself.

In the meantime, believers will never accept what NASA says. They'll reject it as being part off the government cover-up. And the skeptics don't need reassurances, because they didn't believe it in the first place.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ongoing Discussion

Thread closed.

top topics

join