It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA on crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
rawstory.com...
By Agence France-Presse

WASHINGTON — The world is not coming to an end on December 21, 2012, the US space agency insisted Monday in a rare campaign to dispel widespread rumors fueled by the Internet and a new Hollywood movie.

The latest big screen offering from Sony Picture, "2012," arrives in theaters on Friday, with a 200-million-dollar production about the end of the world supposedly based on myths backed by the Mayan calendar.

The doomsday scenario revolves around claims that the end of time will come as an obscure Planet X -- or Nibiru -- heads toward or collides with Earth.

The mysterious planet was supposedly discovered by the Sumerians, according to claims by pseudo-scientists, paranormal activity enthusiasts and Internet theorists.

Some websites accuse NASA of concealing the truth on the wayward planet's existence, but the US space agency denounced such stories as an "Internet hoax."

Wow, now I'm really scared. NASA doesn't have the greatest record in telling the truth. In fact most government and quasi government agencies play fast and loose with the truth when they feel it is in their best interest.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Funny how the Niburu/Planet X is always presented as the main point about 2012 and the Mayan calender.
There are at least a dozen other scenarios that a much less implausible, including some pretty positive ones.

My theory is that the whole Niburu thing is being set up as a straw man argument for the 2012 phenomenon.
It's very easy to understand & very easy to discredit

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Bravo NASA! At the same time, you have to realize that if Hollywood makes a movie about a subject, then that subject loses some credibility. I seriously doubt anything will happen in 2012, because the time between now and then, is close. To close for a number of things to happen. Though anything can happy at any time. I think that one theory about 2012, Niribu for example has died out in the past year.

Why? Probably because time is running out. I'm sure, as many have stated that the next big date will be 2020.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
How often does NASA or any other governmental agency try to debunk certain things? Only when they are true. Like when CNN tried to fact-check a SNL skit for christ's sake! They are trying to block us from truth.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
How often does NASA or any other governmental agency try to debunk certain things? Only when they are true. Like when CNN tried to fact-check a SNL skit for christ's sake! They are trying to block us from truth.

Though I am more on the side of "SOMETHING is going to happen, but it's not going to be the end of the world", I DO have to agree with you here, king.

I mean, you don't see NASA coming out with "debunking" sci fi movies that portray space ships flying incorrectly, or tossing out weird science stuff as if it's the truth, do you?

No, but they'll jump all over this one. Strange, at best.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
We can't predict earthquakes, floods, storms, volcano's or anything else with any great accuracy...what makes us think we can predict the end of the world, or the lack of the end of the world?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Well, it could be that Planet-X is real, and they dont know exactly what effect it will have, but I have a feeling they have a pretty good idea. The fact of the matter is that NASA knows something, whatever that something may be.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
good on nasa for having the balls to publicly go and do this..

its funny though as its another case where their dammed if they do and dammed if they dont... as we can see, they have only just said they want to debunk this and people have reacted to that how ... by saying its a plot to cover something up ?

yet, its the same sorts of people who have/would critisize NASA for doing nothing about 2012 and our possible pending fate!

im neither pro or anti 2012 theorys, their could be something from space that the mayans knew about, it could be self nuclear destruction... but most likely its nothing... why? because nothing ever happens! and... theirs no actual proof that anything is going to happen Other than the mayan calander running out of days! (and this is only because theirs been no mayans about to keep their calanders going ... what with them being an anchient society and all!)

Go nasa!! noone will believe you either way but at least your trying !...

now, what will happen when nothing happens? im calling now that everyone accuses nasa of hatching some secret plot to blow up planet X with a nuke! (remember this post in january 2013!)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What scares me is that Nasa is dealing in absolutes stating that this could never happen, or it's impossible and so on.

Whenever anyone, at any level of any government or quasi-governmental agency starts talking in absolutes about the end of the world, I'm wondering if the bomb shelter sales guys are still around.

Mine probably isn't deep enough.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I would venture to guess NASA is only making a statement about this at all because of the movie release.

More than likely there are a ton of people who aren't that familiar with 2012 theory, who saw the trailers for that movie and attempted some research. After doing so they probably got scared and started asking around if this could really happen.

NASA is just trying to squash some irrational fears in my opinion.

I wonder what year the end of the world will be in on Jan. 1, 2013?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It seems that every generation thinks that Christ will be coming during their lifetime...2012 is simply another cultural fantasy that the "end times are near." The only thing I wonder is what the 2012 believers will latch onto once the time has come and gone.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Yes, but how often are people in a panic regarding the incorrect way a space ship is presented in space.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Man-made Global warming melds into solar flare activity now Nibiru's approach causing Earths warming at the poles and plate tectonic shifts.

What could anyone who knows say,anyway ?

NASA would lose if they were to reveal what they know and we need them
and their technology !

If you knew for certain that Nibiru's orbit would cause a major earth catastrophe in 2012 would you continue to pay your taxes ?

Do we really need full disclosure from NASA ? Or do we need to keep everyone calm and functioning ?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by trueset

I think it was R. Hoagland that said NASA stood for......

N...never
A...A
S...straight
A...Answer

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Anyone that believes NASA is retarded.

Is it a coincidence that the Mayans used ancient Hebrew writing and talked about Mosses, and their calendar matches up pretty closely to Israelites punishment end date from the Bible?
(Mayans are a group Israelites)

www.noahsark-naxuan.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by buds84

i guess im a retard 80% of the time then..

and yes . . .not so much a coincidence, but all language somes from somewhere!

Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING about 2012 being doomsyear is just hearsay ,,, if ANYONE can give me 100% factual proof, ill take what i say back... fact is though noone can because noone knows if the world will end!

tbf, its just as arrogant to say nasa are deffinitelly wrong as it is for nasa to say their deffinitelly right!! mainly as NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TOMMOROW, LET ALONE IN 2012!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hey there, being on mobile I cant do much but give my 2c. I personally would love for something to go down come 2012. Be it positive or negative it would surely be something albeit exciting to experience in this life. If nothing happens, fine. One thing that should be becoming clearer is that Nibiru, unless it comes hurtling in near light speed near 2012 and slows to a sudden crawl, has been proved a hoax. Help me out here peeps of the Astronomical persuasion. I'm sure that from all the observatories and amateur astronomers mapped the world round, an anomaly such as this rogue planet would have been found in our backyard by now. On another note, the mayans are alive. Yes, for true homie. They may not inhabit their old cultural grounds but the mayan tongue is still around in a modern form, they have tribes that hold council with eachother on occasion. So boaby_phet, there are mayan's around if they wanted to 'keep their calendar going' but they do not need to do so. Their calendar was cyclical, meaning once ended it would start again. Starting a new age. We are nearing the end of the fourth age now, which some say might only end come 2150 using different calculations between mayan and gregorian calendars. They did however say that in the end of one out of five ages something catastrophic could happen(if memory serves me right). So maybe something happens, unfortunately for people with my mind set it will probably be nothing. I mostly hope for some crazy shift in consciousness, here's hoping! Maybe i'll start taking lotto too. The chances of achieving a positive result with either are probably equaly viable. (at this point my money's on winning the lotto) oo. I almost forgot, Buds84, dude, the Mayan's, a group of israelites? ?moses? Really? I cant access the link from a silly phone. Please, pretty please, put a quote or two of the most believable evidence for Mayans using hebrew and being of israeli descent. Wicked, hav a rad day dudes and dudettes
have fun

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
We all know that NASA has been keeping things from us for decades. Whether the world ends or not, something is going to happen on that day. Perhaps we will have massive riots or total annihilation of the human race, or a spiritual awakening of some kind, regardless of what happens, 2012 is going to be one hell of a year.

Has anyone ever considered that perhaps the planet Nibiru is a metaphor to something else?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by Davidius

Interesting, never thought about it being anything other than an extra-solar planet/body. If it is a metaphore then what is it? Comet,asteroid, the earth itself? A corrupt government/people? Hmm...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm like Bob Dean, has anyone really looked up the definition of Apocalypse? All it means is the unveiling, uncovering. It has nothing to do with destruction of ANYTHING! It is an unveiling. Look it up, I'm serious. Makes me so mad that they use this word to contol the sheeple! Look it up, I am serious. My bible thumping uncle got mad at me cause I told him the true meaning. Look it up!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join