It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes health care reform bill; Vote garners only one Republican

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

House passes health care reform bill; Vote garners only one Republican

www.nydailynews.com

The biggest overhaul of America's medical system since Medicare passed with a tight vote in the House of Representatives Saturday night.

The bill passed with a vote of 220 to 215, with only one single Republican - Joseph Cao from Louisana - choose "Yea."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OH WOW!

It goes on to say that it was not all roses, and many Dems had to pull together:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was forced to bring up the abortion amendment after a deal with conservative Democrats collapsed and they threatened to sink the whole bill.

The move enraged liberals, but most agreed to stay onboard and President Obama traveled to the House to make a personal appeal and seal the deal.

Pelosi hailed the progress as delivering on the promise of Obama's election.

"President Obama's leadership gives our nation hope," she said. "Today, with this legislation, we will give them health."

This is amazing...

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
This is amazing...

This is amazing that they found 220 more politicians who were willing to go against the will of the American people, just to support their own stupid political party. No one listens to the voters now.

This country is so screwed.....

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

You speak for everyone now?

Well that's a load off my mind, now that I don't have to do that pesky thinking for myself.

Up till now I was of the opinion that Health Care reform was a good thing. But seeing as how your doing the thinking for everyone I guess that opinion of mine was wrong.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I for one support this vote, and am very very happy to see this come to pass.

Pretty amazing actually...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The amount of money we spend on "insurance" in this company should just be put into a bank, where the first 10,000 dollars must be saved for a crises, and then any extra money you add can be taken out.

If 10,000 is to low, make it 20,000. It will not take long at all to hit that number, hell, even if you make it 25,000!

Not much at all considering EVERYTHING insurance related we already pay for...

If you have an accident that cost 10,000 dollars, and you have 5,000, you will go to -5000 dollars in debt, except you have no interest and a "monthly" bill like you do now. Even during this time, you will still be insured for whatever, until you hit a huge line in the sand such as negative 50G.

THAT is what I think about insurance!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The other thread just dealing on this vote is in revolt mode.
pretty hardcore

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

You speak for everyone now?

I can read polls, and the majority of Americans don't want this.

Ask around...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just a few simple question. First one deserves a simple yes or no question.

Is this bill going to cover the 47 million voters without insurance?

If not then how long will take to every one of these people who supposedly this bill was intended for?

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
democracy = 51% people enslave the other 49%

constitutional republic = even 00.001% are totally free

what this bill means is everyone will be required to pay for health insurance whether they want it, can afford it, or agree with it.

thats democracy in action....slavery for those who disagree. and in this case its ironic because even under democracy it didnt work because the majority of americans were against govt healthcare plan. so in this case 40% of americans who supported this enslaved the 60% against it

unfortunately this nation has forgotten we are supposed to be a constitutional republic with strict limits on govt power. and under this system we are free to do anything we want as long as it doesnt infringe upon another person.

forcing a person to purchase healthcare is incredibly outrageous and definitely violates a constitutional republic system.

oh and it violates the constitution which doesnt grant this power to the federal govt to regulate. I predict many states will challenge this abuse of federal power.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by admriker444]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Quit it with the polls. One can find just as many polls citing the popularity of what the Dems are doing. There's probably a more compelling argument for the American people wanting a big sweeping wave of reform. Remember that the Dems (Obama) ran on EXACTLY what they're doing now. They got elected, and now they're doing it. So it's a bit ridiculous to claim that the majority of Americans don't want this.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I can read polls, and the majority of Americans don't want this.

Depends on who you ask.

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tommy_boy

Remember that the Dems (Obama) ran on EXACTLY what they're doing now. They got elected, and now they're doing it. So it's a bit ridiculous to claim that the majority of Americans don't want this.

and remember that people were tired of Republicans, wars, and torture.

So it this what they really wanted or were they just voting for the lesser of two evils.

Even you have to admit that John McCain didn't give his own party much hope, much less anybody else.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by admriker444
unfortunately this nation has forgotten we are supposed to be a constitutional republic with strict limits on govt power. and under this system we are free to do anything we want as long as it doesnt infringe upon another person.

Except that people NOT paying for health insurance, and then using the emergency room doctors as their private physicians, and then not being able to pay, raises my taxes. So NOT having health insurance does infringe on me.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Wow this is trully a sad day. Our only hope is that it fails in the Senate, or that the people that voted out lose in the next election and it is repealed, or the states stand up for their constitutional rights and refuse to participate, or it is found to be unconstitutional.

Well having sad all that now I feel a bit hopeful again.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Jam, your premise is fine, except where I disagree with you is that in order for that to be true generically, tea-baggers, moderates, etc, would have to have felt that communism, the loss of ones freedoms, socialized medicine, and everything else they call it now, would have been BETTER than McCain and the status quo.

There is no way the American people chose Communism over Iraq and Afghanistan. Do you get my point?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

And yes I agree with you about John McCain.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thanks Obama!

Thanks so freaking much for FORCING me to buy something I DON'T want!

Thanks so freaking much for putting our country further into debt when we are already sinking to the point where my great-grandchildren will be paying for your mistakes!

Thanks so freaking much for adding another bill onto the 10.2% of Americans who are trying to scrape by on unemployment benefits!

Thanks so freaking much for giving me notice that I will go to JAIL if I chose to stand up against a government that is FORCING me to incure a debt I want no part of!

And before anyone says a word, no one pays my medical bills but me. I go to the hospital, I get a bill, I pay the bill. It's all rather simple & some of those bills have been pretty damn big.

And no, this is not like car insurance. I can CHOSE not to own a car & I certainly won't go to jail for it. This is the government INFRINGING upon my rights & they are using threats of fines or imprisonment to scare us into doing what they want us to do. This is not something America does to it's people & I for one find it sickening!

I can say this much. I will not pay any fine. I will not be forced into this & if they put me in jail, so be it. Maybe if this horrid government locks up enough hard-working Americans, stay at home mom's/dad's, unemployed people struggling to stay afloat, then maybe people will start to see what this really is. This is Obama & his henchwoman Pelosi saying "Welcome to Obamland. We own your a**, so just deal with it.."

I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter anymore what party they belong to, they are all crooks who need to get the heck out of office. This is our country, a government by the people, for the people & damn it, we need to show them we are still the bosses!

I'm done venting now

[edit on 8/11/2009 by lynn112]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

So you are happy at being forced to pay for something or risk being heavily fined and possibly jailed (don't know if that last bit is true)?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

I'm happy that the government DID something.

I'm also not buying into the scare tactics by the right.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join