It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is lots of money enough?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I can't believe the greed of the world's wealthiest people.

When is enough money enough?

Some of these people have more money than they could spend in their lifetime, probably. And why aren't they spreading it around to the poor people, the homeless people, the starving people?

I despair when I think of all the suffering that could be alleviated.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Because it is not about the money, but the power that it brings.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

But these wealthy people could retain their power while spreading their money around to the people who need it.

This is indeed a sick world, and humans have made it so.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It will never be enough.
It's a sickness of the mind.

Got bailout?

Compassion, like common sense and decency, is history.
So are we, apparently.

Enjoy your health, its really all you ever had.
Everything else belongs to them in the end.
....Oh ya, that does too. Sorry, my bad.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
For the super-wealthy, there will never be enough, because they are mentally ill. They have a wealth addiction that requires constantly increasing amounts for them to get their fix.

Think about it for a moment, and you'll see that they fulfill the classic definition of an addict. Most also can be defined as sociopaths...very successful ones, but how can you not define Madoff as a sociopath? I think there is no way to become a billionaire without being an addicted sociopathic to some degree, otherwise you'd say enough at some point and stop accumulating and just enjoy what you have.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have no idea when lots of money is enough. I have never had lots of money. This brings to mind an article I read in Entertainment Weekly, written by the novelist Stephen King. He's filthy rich, by my standards. More than filthy rich. He owns a radio station in Maine. He likes to maintain a rock n roll programming that is not a big money maker. He operates it for, what i thought was, the sheer joy of playing music that he likes to hear and others of his generation and inclinations like to listen to. But he mentioned in the article that he will proably let the station go, because it isn't a money maker. Huh? You've got the money, that you can't possibly spend in your entire remaining life, and you decide to hold onto it instead of bringing this joy to others like you, Uncle Stevie?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Well I would have to disagree everyone that is rich follows that path. But money is addictive. What it can buy is addictive.

But Greed, with a capital G, is another beast entirely. The wanting of money just for wanting of it is sick.

As for the Power, it is not quite the same. Power is a problem with Pride. I deserve the power becomes their motivating factor.

Where I am going with this is, people that I have just described are Sociopaths.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is also known as psychopathy or
sociopathy. Individuals with this disorder have little regard for the
feeling and welfare of others.

List of characteristics

narcissism this one I added to this list, and I think Hitler and someone else we know suffers from this

not learning from experience
no sense of responsibility
inability to form meaningful relationships
inability to control impulses
lack of moral sense
chronically antisocial behavior
no change in behavior after punishment
emotional immaturity
lack of guilt
self-centeredness

Pretty much describes most politicians and the super rich.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If you've got all your basic needs met (food, shelter, clean water to drink, etc.), then if you feel you don't have enough money, chances are you'll never feel you have enough money. There's always going to be that next something you'll want, that you can't quite afford. New car, new limousine, new yacht, and so on.

I think also that some of these "super-rich" folks - the ones who make piles of money - aren't really interested in wealth so much as using money to keep score. They seem to view business as a huge game where millions are made and lost. Whoever winds up with the most money, wins. Lots of these guys don't live all that high. They don't live in huts, but they really aren't all that worried about spending their money, just accumulating it.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It's not about money or power.

It's about CONTROL.

THey want complete and total control over everyone.

Total domination.

Failing that they will accept your death as one less obsticle to them achieving thier ultimate objective.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Exactly.

It does not take long to reach a point at which more money is pointless.

It is not about personal wealth for the ruling class of this planet, it is indeed simply power and control.

Money is simply another means of control.

... and who might it be that controls the money? There-in lies the people worth your ire OP.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Money is just a means for rich people to measure their success as well as being a tool to accomplish their goals.

It is easy to say the rich should give their money away because it is not your money. If you have a house, car, and food then why don't you sell all of your extra stuff and give your money away?

Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates are giving most of their money away.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

OK, I salute the people who are giving their money to poor people, but what about the huge rest of rich people who are not doing that?

I do support a few people, as it happens. I am not rich at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates are giving most of their money away.

What's the point in that?

Feel good about throwing a drowning man a life preserver and leave him in the middle of the ocean to fend for himself as you speed off in your yaught.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Well you have to look at it this way. It is theres they earned it or their parents or grand parents earned it. They may want to pass it to their heirs. Every rich person I know does a lot of good with their money.

What good is it to give away wealth when you can use it to make more and when you give it away it looses it power because the recipients don't know how to use it to make more. Would you give your fishing poles to someone who cannont catch a fish? Woudl that be wise?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Look they are givng away nearly 100 billion dollars and leaving less than 100 million for their heirs. That is pretty darn nice if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

Look they are givng away nearly 100 billion dollars and leaving less than 100 million for their heirs. That is pretty darn nice if you ask me.

Hooray for nice people.

Tell 'em they can kiss my ass.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

OK, let's teach them to catch fish, and then lend them a fishing pole.

I don't know, all I do know is that I am sick and tired of people not helping people. We are the worst creation.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Some people are not able to learn to "catch fish". Usually people are poor because they have poor decision making skills. They would rather by a flat screen TV then to save their money and invest it.

Truth is if you took Gates and Buffets money and left them with 1000 dollars they would still be able to turn that money into millions. On the otherhand you could give the other 99 billion to a bunch of other people and they would end up with 99bilion dollars worth of worthless crap, and still be bitching because their money was gone and Gates and Buffet were rich again.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Do you realize that Bill Gates bought like 90% of all the worlds Malaria medicine last year? Do you realize he is investing money on a malaria vaccine so that when it is developed he can give it to the world for free? Do you really think he should kiss your ass now?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

No, I do not think he should kiss my ass - whatever that means and it sounds pretty basically mean.

I salute Bill Gates, as I said.

I am just wondering why a lot of very wealthy people are not saving the starving people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join