It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is lots of money enough?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It is NOT their job to take care of others. Many people worked hard for their money and they are allowed to do what they wish with it, it's theirs. Im really tired of people thinking the wealthy are supposed to help everyone else. Yeah it would be nice and many do help others but why should they give their money to others?

What have you done to help the less fortunate? Do you donate your time or belongings you dont need or use anymore?

Stop thinking the wealthy owe you, because that is not the case, they owe nobody!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

If you have a billion dollars and you decide to feed everyone in an AFrican country for a month, and when your billion bucks is spent what then? You'll find another billion?

And what do you think will happen to the price of commodities if every billionaire decides to feed Africa?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
its not about the money

its about the power yes .. some people like to play videogames, others like to play life at earth

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Again, its not really a question of the "haves" and "have-nots", its question of the SYSTEM, which serves to continually extract money from the common masses and deliver it to the elites at the top.

The SYSTEM, which is based upon credit-based money, designed to keep the population in economic slavery, and corporations, which have been given personhood, designed to shield corporate owners, is the root of the problem.

The problem is not going to be solved by a "redistribution" of wealth, or by any type of "class warfare". It can only be solved by the demise of the current system as a whole, so that a new system can be erected in its place. That is how nature operates. Systems grow old and die, so that new systems can be born in their place. We are witnessing the death throws of the current world system. It aint gonna be pretty, but I have faith that something much better will emerge...in the end.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Where, exactly, is all of this going to end? Hate the rich! Hate the poor! Hate the Christians! Hate the liberals! Hate the conservatives! Hate the Jews! Hate the Muslims! Hate the soldiers! Hate the homosexuals!

Hate everyone who is not exactly like me!!!!!!

As far as the rich not contributing to the needy.....that's a pretty big assumption, don't you think? Because all of the worlds ills are not solved, the rich must not be giving? Because one "rich" person announces his/her contributions, the others must have not given?

What would it take to convince you that the "rich" really are giving? What if they discontinued all large, charitable contributions ( say $1,000,000 and above)? I would venture to say it would cause a global meltdown, that would be beyond anything you could imagine.

Also, you do realize the "rich" are the ones who pay your salaries? They are the ones who manufacture the 'stuff' you enjoy so much. They provide the financial backing to medical research. Etc, etc, etc...

Are there some evil "rich" people? Sure, in direct proportion to the rest of the earth's population. But, come on. I think the title of this thread should have been 'If You Have More Money than Me, It Is Too Much'...

Like I've said before, I think this past election cycle has done more to promote class warfare, than any in history. Take a long, hard look at those who encourage you to hate another person or group, before you follow their lead.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
why doesn't bill gates give away windows for free if he wants to give away stuff or at least a better price on it why not open up the source code
why not make sure the whole world has clean water to drink or free power
how about building schools and stuff in Africa so they can be smart enough to quit abusing themselves
why not send farm equipment so they can grow there own food

Windows isn't free or open source, because Bill Gates is a wise business man. There is nothing wrong with charging someone for your product. If you tihnk it is too expensive then try Linux.

He is pretty much implementing a plan to do exactly what you requests as far as what you have requested he to to help. He is building infrastructure, schools, etc..

You should read up on their foundatin. It is and will do amazing things.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
My question is this: why is it their responsibility to care for people, many of whom refuse to help themselves? In the event of natural disasters, ok, help out where one can...no issue. But when all they want is a hand out, because they won't help themselves? Ah, hell no...

Personal responsibility. Do many of us even know what that means any more? It means, to me anyway, earning what you have by the sweat off your brow, and working an honest days labor.

Bill Gates got where he got by working his ass off. He wants to help people, good for him, and more power to him... But his responsibility? Nope. That goes for many of the others who are self made.

When all is said and done, it's their money, who are you, or we, to tell them how they should use it?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Modern society has made it easier to believe oneself a victim than to accept personal responsibility.

ie. Bringing a child into a world where you know you can not properly care for them. Knowing you can not feed, clothe and shelter yourself, then subjecting another human being to the same squalor. Personal responsibility is dead.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
It is NOT their job to take care of others. Many people worked hard for their money and they are allowed to do what they wish with it, it's theirs. Im really tired of people thinking the wealthy are supposed to help everyone else. Yeah it would be nice and many do help others but why should they give their money to others?

What have you done to help the less fortunate? Do you donate your time or belongings you dont need or use anymore?

Stop thinking the wealthy owe you, because that is not the case, they owe nobody!

Like the rich are the only ones who work hard? Famous rich people in sports or entertainment who love what they do and don't consider it work at all, being paid ridiculous amounts of money to enjoy themselves. Woman who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to look like anorexic barbie dolls. Multi million dollar corporations that keep making insane amounts of money. And you ask why should they give their money away? Because of their humanity and compassion for their fellow man. Because human beings (most of them), matter more than greedy, self centered people who thinks the world revolves around them. Because it is sickening for one man to have more than they could possibly want or need while people are starving, homeless, need medicine etc. We live in an insane society.

Hell, I have given money, food and clothing to the poor and never in my life was I rich. I never owned a home of my own or a new car, but I had a roof over over my head, food on the table, and simple pleasures.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by Night Star]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Personal responsibility? I have known people who made very little for working their butts off their entire lives. Maybe they wern't college educated, but they were some of the most amazing people I have ever met. What about the elderly? There have been people who died in the winter from not having heat in their homes because they couldn't afford it. Hell, if Iwere rich, I would feel like a guilty son of a.... for not sharing my wealth. For someone to say it's mine, mine, mine, that is greed plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
Where, exactly, is all of this going to end? Hate the rich! Hate the poor! Hate the Christians! Hate the liberals! Hate the conservatives! Hate the Jews! Hate the Muslims! Hate the soldiers! Hate the homosexuals!

Hate everyone who is not exactly like me!!!!!!

As far as the rich not contributing to the needy.....that's a pretty big assumption, don't you think? Because all of the worlds ills are not solved, the rich must not be giving? Because one "rich" person announces his/her contributions, the others must have not given?

What would it take to convince you that the "rich" really are giving? What if they discontinued all large, charitable contributions ( say $1,000,000 and above)? I would venture to say it would cause a global meltdown, that would be beyond anything you could imagine.

Also, you do realize the "rich" are the ones who pay your salaries? They are the ones who manufacture the 'stuff' you enjoy so much. They provide the financial backing to medical research. Etc, etc, etc...

Are there some evil "rich" people? Sure, in direct proportion to the rest of the earth's population. But, come on. I think the title of this thread should have been 'If You Have More Money than Me, It Is Too Much'...

Like I've said before, I think this past election cycle has done more to promote class warfare, than any in history. Take a long, hard look at those who encourage you to hate another person or group, before you follow their lead.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by WTFover]

How do we know? Well, just how many huge mansions does one need? How many fancy expensive sports cars? How many designer outfits that cost thousands of dollars each or shoes? Hell, one purse alone could feed many. Not saying that there arn't some generous rich people, but all in all...not enough is done.

As for the rich paying our salaries IF we are lucky enough to be employed, out of their millions of dollars of profit, some are paying their employees minimum wage. Wow really generous. I cannot tell you how many companies have moved out of the country for cheaper labor. How many things do you purchase that are actually made in the USA?????

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The money that others have only bothers those who believe they are entitled to it, but do not have it. I don't have it, but I could care less if others do. I am happy with my life. I think sometimes people who are unhappy believe having money will solve unhappiness and blame the rich for their lack of satisfaction with their own life.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

It's their money...seriously. Where do we get off telling them they should feel guilty? Sports stars have too much money? No one made the owners pay those rediculous salaries... Are those athletes supposed to say no when it's, the money, thrown at them? I surely wouldn't...

Movie stars have lots of money...so? No one making us go to the movies, no one making those production companies throw that money at them...

If they earn it fairly and squarely, it is theirs... If they want to donate it to good causes, that's totally cool...if they don't, that's cool, too.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

And if we want to tax their earnings at 98%, hey, that's even more cool. Aren't they living off the fruits of other peoples labours ?

Better still, round them up, line them up against a wall and shoot the lot of them.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

...and when the tax man cometh for you? ...at 98%, or whatever, that'll be cool too...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I am the taxman. And as such I exempt myself from this new regulation on the grounds that I'm overworked and underpaid.

Heck, if I were rich do you really think I'd be cruising here on a saturday night ?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is the rich people,corporations and institutions which are responsible for keeping much of the world poor. You can't blame them entirely but they certainly play a big role. Installing or backing tin pot dictators so you can gobble up a countries mineral resources or oil without much hassle. Keep them in a cycle of perpetual debt through the IMF, the leaders/dictators horde all the money for their palaces and luxurious lifestyles while the people starve and struggle day to day. This causes an untold amount of problems in their society, it is stagnant and unable to evolve, everyone is on survival mode which directly impacts their mindset. Then we turn round and say they need to be educated which is nothing short of arrogant and lie we repeat as to gloss over the fact it is our countries and its peoples wants or needs that cause much of the suffering around the world. If the big boot of greed and control was not firmly planted on their face they may actually be able to stand up. Of course raping and pillaging a countries resources for a pittance is far easier to do if that country is weak and fragile, not strong willed and independent. And the money men know it.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

I don't know, all I do know is that I am sick and tired of people not helping people. We are the worst creation.

Not really, your desire to see people helped proves that your wrong.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by noonebutme

Oh, come ON!

People who live in Africa have no choice and no chance.

Of course the rich of this world could help them.

In an ideal scenario the rich people of the world would save the poor people of the world.

We are all living in this world - save your own species, please.

No wonder people abuse animals - people abuse people - I am sick and tired of it.

And how do you propose to help these people? Do YOU have any good ideas? No one else does either, that's why nothing has been done.

As many people have stated, throwing money at them isn't going to solve the long term problem. All you have is a nation of panhandlers who suddenly realize they only have to hold out their hand and someone will feed them and take care of all their needs. Where's the responsibility in that?

So, I ask again. How do YOU propose we should help these people?

It's all fine to complain about it, but we would rather you offer some concrete solutions.

PS. And saying "Give them money" is not a valid concrete answer...

[edit on 2009/11/7 by juniperberry]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
Heck, if I were rich do you really think I'd be cruising here on a saturday night ?

So you're bitter then? I understand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join