It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Larry Johnson Twitter Slur to Cost Johnson His Job?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
reply to post by Rook1545

I see Michael Vick breaking a LAW, Dog Fighting. I see Plexico Burris, Shooting his OWNSELF in the LEG ... Jail two years. And yeah right he shot his ownself ... Jermichael Finley got caught with Marijuana. he is still playing. Anywys. just to name a few right off hand. Let's not even go back to Michael Irvin and a few of the cowboys .... Good Lord. He was just saying something, Isn't that protected by his First Amendment or do we have that anymore ?!?

The First Amendment guarantees your right to free speech will not be infringed upon by the GOVERNMENT.

Not your boss. They have every right to deem what is and isn't appropriate for them and can and will tell you to STFU.

Case in point, the guy from Home Depot being fired over a pin.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

And herein lies the problem !!! What are we doing letting these freedoms being taken away ?!?!?! it is time to stand up.

Can you lose something you never really had? It is not really completely free speech, it is more like limited free speech.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

No, you don't have that anymore. You haven't for a long time. This forum, does not grant your Freedom of Speech, most websites don't. Off the top of my head, besides your own home, you really don't have Freedom of speech, it is pretty much an illusion.

And why did we let this happen !?!? We should EVERY ONE of us be entitled to say whatever it is we want to say as long as it is not a CRIME as what we are saying. Or saying we are going to commit a crime,

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GilligansSkipper
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well you have to admit that his coach and boss do kinda suck. I mean they have lost nearly every game for the last two seasons. I feel his pain. Praise Allah, I am not a Chiefs fan.

Plus they are called the Chiefs, couldn't that be construed as a Native American slur?

I agree completely, and having gone from an elite player to an also-ran in a matter of 2 years has to be tough on Johnson.

But you'd get fired for the same thing, regardless of the reasons.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Originally posted by ThaLoccster

reply to

The First Amendment guarantees your right to free speech will not be infringed upon by the GOVERNMENT.

Not your boss. They have every right to deem what is and isn't appropriate for them and can and will tell you to STFU.

This simply should not BE,Although didn't the guy from Home Depot do that while at work !?!? Anyhow, this is just not right. What am I going to do about it ... Probably nothing. but that is what we have been doing about it and why the new money just came out without "In God We Trust" on it and what will be next. O lord. Dispersing money overseas to make sure everyone has alittle this is just CRAZY. But this thread is not about that. Back to the first amendment rights.

NOONE SHOULD HAVE THE ABILITY TO TAKE THEM AWAY !!!

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Where I work we call each other way worse stuff than that to each others faces. Nobody fires us, they jut act like real men and call us something worse then everybody laughs.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

If someone deems that they have the right to act like an idiot while being a public representative for a company, that company has the right to shut them up.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I think you're missing the point. In most jobs you, rather on duty or not, are a representative of that company. And if you do things or make comments that, due to your position, one might associate with the company, you can and probably WILL be fired.

ESPECIALLY if you call your manager a faggot. Which is what Johnson did, he called his coach a faggot, then called the reporters faggots also. If he would have called him a cracker, or a peckerwood, or a honky then you probably would be posting an altogether different thread.

I think that because you're a "christian", and happen to side with his beliefs on "faggots" that is why you are championing his cause. Maybe you're just a Chiefs fan.

Do a quick search, type in 'employee fired facebook', or 'employee fired myspace' and see how often someone is fired because of idiocy they choose to put on the web.

Just as often people are fired for being arrested, etc... Not just something on the internet.

Not reprimanding Johnson for his statements could very easily have sent the message that the Chiefs support his actions. The same way Vick was condoned by his team, and the NFL for his, to distance their ideals, from his. And to note that they don't share those ideals, or will allow their employess to public endorse them either.

I do not side with calling anyone names. But whenever it puts someones LIVLIHOOD at stake. That is just silly !!! People need to wake up and see the difference between a WAR and a FIGHT and CIVIL unrest.

Ugh,,,, Rules of Engagement are different for each.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I see Michael Vick breaking a LAW, Dog Fighting. I see Plexico Burris, Shooting his OWNSELF in the LEG ... Jail two years. And yeah right he shot his ownself ... Jermichael Finley got caught with Marijuana. he is still playing. Anywys. just to name a few right off hand. Let's not even go back to Michael Irvin and a few of the cowboys .... Good Lord. He was just saying something, Isn't that protected by his First Amendment or do we have that anymore ?!?

Bet Don Imus was thinking the same thing when he got fired. Still waiting for the First Amendment to be amended to add a Politically Correct clause.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

If someone deems that they have the right to act like an idiot while being a public representative for a company, that company has the right to shut them up.

Agreed, but shutting them up should be with the same consequence as they have been forced to shut up. They should cut ties with this person as far as their reputation. Not Fire them from thier job. Maybe make a list of peopel for that organization that they will not be responsible for. NOT FIRE THEM.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

And herein lies the problem !!! What are we doing letting these freedoms being taken away ?!?!?! it is time to stand up.

I'm not seeing an issue here. The players and coaches are compensated MASSIVELY for any loss of rights. They want the millions they sign the paper. It's an agreement with the team. AGREEMENT.

I fail to see how this doesn't say it all. You want to play in their pool, you play by their rules. Hey, they can always work construction for $50,000/year.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Really? It is not like he said something terrible. He called someone a fag. Who hasn't done that a time or two in their lives.

When most people say that they don't mean anything bad towards homosexuals it is more just a saying and most people arent't thinking I hate homosexuals when they call someone a fag.

People have become way too oversensitive and PC.

I agree it is wrong to call someone a fag, but it is not worth firing the man over. I say they smack him on the hand and let him go back to work. Plus, gay people call each other fag all the time, should they be fired?

[edit on 28-10-2009 by GilligansSkipper]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

reply to

This simply should not BE,Although didn't the guy from Home Depot do that while at work !?!? Anyhow, this is just not right. What am I going to do about it ... Probably nothing. but that is what we have been doing about it and why the new money just came out without "In God We Trust" on it and what will be next. O lord. Dispersing money overseas to make sure everyone has alittle this is just CRAZY. But this thread is not about that. Back to the first amendment rights.

NOONE SHOULD HAVE THE ABILITY TO TAKE THEM AWAY !!!

I just want to ask, as a child were you able to tell your parents to STFU? Were you able to call them faggots without fear of reprimand?

I sure wish one of my boys would call me a faggot, then say well dad I have freedom of speech.

The only freedom you have in my house is freedom of reach. That means if I can reach you, you're free to get smacked.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GilligansSkipper

Where I work we call each other way worse stuff than that to each others faces. Nobody fires us, they jut act like real men and call us something worse then everybody laughs.

But do you say those same things about them to the media? That's where this is different.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I do understand where you are coming from, and what you are saying. however whenever I leave work. I am not working anymore I am aloud to say whatever it is that I want to say. And what I say away from work what I wear away from work is not a representative of myself at work. That is my WORKING APPEARANCE Vs. My OWN PERSONAL APPEARANCE when I am at home and not working I barely get out of a white t shirt and Pajama bottoms.

Go out and get a bunch of speeding tickets and a DUI, maybe assault charges that get you on tv and then let me know what your work does.

You could also start going on twitter and face book and bashing your company and your boss. I'm betting you wont have a job long.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Larry Johnson signed a contract, he violated the terms of said contract and got kicked to the curb. Serves him right.

What are we doing letting these freedoms being taken away ?!?!?! it is time to stand up.

I wish you people who are so fearful of loosing your rights would stop talking about insurrection and just do it. But remember "...he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword." With that in mind, the sooner you stop talking about it and do it, the better.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
True this, the rights are being stripped away day by day by day. The first EVER bill that will be charged to the American people just for being alive will soon be errected and when it happens it will jsut be the beggining of many other things to come. And those of you who say you hae to have Auto insurance can realize that you don't have to own a car. YOU HAVE TO BE ALIVE TO BE HERE. And that is not right to be an american and be alive you have to have health insurance. Just Silly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join