It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Larry Johnson Twitter Slur to Cost Johnson His Job?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Larry Johnson Twitter Slur to Cost Johnson His Job?

www.associatedcontent.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson issued his second apology in 12 months Tuesday and was told to stay away from the team while the NFL and the Chiefs complete their investigation into his use of a gay slur.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
sports.espn.go.com
sports.espn.go.com
msn.foxsports.com

Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline.
Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

[edit on 10/28/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In Talley v. California, 362 U.S. 60 (1960), the Court struck down a Los Angeles city ordinance that made it a crime to distribute anonymous pamphlets.

Thus, the Supreme Court effectively shaped the First Amendment in such a manner as to permit a multitude of restrictions on speech. Further restrictions on speech were accepted by the Supreme Court when it decided Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925). Writing for the majority, Justice Edward Sanford suggested that states could punish words that "by their very nature, involve danger to the public peace and to the security of the state." Lawmakers were given the freedom to decide which speech would constitute a danger.

This does not affect anyone but those whom let it affect them. I myself am a christian; ewwww I know. Christian. I hear people tell me all the time that God does not exists. Friends really, am I going to let that affect me ? Am I going to cry like a little baby about it ??? Am I going to argue when people use the theory christianity is used to control people ?!?!?!? NO NO and NO !!!
So why in the world are people not able to say Faggot, Gay, Queer, Takes it in the Reer, Likes it up the butt, you know whatever they say. Without reprocussion. These are TRUE statements of some gays,. or so I seem to hear that they like to have sex and the things that come along with it are such as have been stated.
It's rather funny that when it is talked about it's frowned upon. It is the TRUTH, not that there is anything wrong with it. !!!
AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE !!!!

By the way, I have a gay brother-n-law that I have talked to about this situattion and says its not the gay community that is in uproar it is the Activists that want to get thier name out there. SICKENING !!!

www.associatedcontent.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline.
Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

[edit on 10/28/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't get what the problem is here. The team is a privately owned and operated company. The player is paid by that company, and as such is a representative of that company. They can dictate company sanctioned punishments for behavior. Kind of like where you work. I bet if you were to go around saying what he said, you would get fired.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I do understand where you are coming from, and what you are saying. however whenever I leave work. I am not working anymore I am aloud to say whatever it is that I want to say. And what I say away from work what I wear away from work is not a representative of myself at work. That is my WORKING APPEARANCE Vs. My OWN PERSONAL APPEARANCE when I am at home and not working I barely get out of a white t shirt and Pajama bottoms.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
That is true. However, alot of these athletes have, as a part of the contract they sign, a stipulation regarding how they act in public and with the press. Look at all the other athletes who have gotten in trouble with their teams because of off-field activities.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

Not quite right. If 2 or more members from the workplace are together outside of the workplace the rules are extended.

As far as this goes the NFL has strict policies in place to keep the league as clean as possible. A beacon for how a league is run. I recall that my Niners fired Jeff Garcia after getting a DUI. No matter he was an all star but the image of the team and the league comes first.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I see Michael Vick breaking a LAW, Dog Fighting. I see Plexico Burris, Shooting his OWNSELF in the LEG ... Jail two years. And yeah right he shot his ownself ... Jermichael Finley got caught with Marijuana. he is still playing. Anywys. just to name a few right off hand. Let's not even go back to Michael Irvin and a few of the cowboys .... Good Lord. He was just saying something, Isn't that protected by his First Amendment or do we have that anymore ?!?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Some people forget about the moral clause that is in a players contract.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
I don't get what the problem is here. The team is a privately owned and operated company. The player is paid by that company, and as such is a representative of that company. They can dictate company sanctioned punishments for behavior. Kind of like where you work. I bet if you were to go around saying what he said, you would get fired.

Does anyone know what he even said? Alll I ever see is that he used a gay slur. How do we know it is a gay slur if they don't tell us what he said. Has our country been reduced to a bunch of kindergardners saying "ooooo, you said the f-word or ooooo you said the n-word."

So what gay slur did he use? Because if he just said "queer" or something then I don't think that is the end of the world or anything.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by GilligansSkipper]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I get the feeling that this whole twitter ordeal was intentional. L.J. was a great back a couple of years ago and has fallen into mediocrity as the Chiefs have declined in performance. I bet he wants out of there...AND what better way...well certainly thee are better ways...but I think he achieved his desired result.

I just hope he doesn't go to anyone in the NFC East

GO COWBOYS!!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
He is in trouble for calling out his coach and boss, not for any slur used. If you were to call your boss stupid in public, or say that he is nothing for everyone to hear, you'd be in hot water as well.

link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon

I see Michael Vick breaking a LAW, Dog Fighting. I see Plexico Burris, Shooting his OWNSELF in the LEG ... Jail two years. And yeah right he shot his ownself ... Jermichael Finley got caught with Marijuana. he is still playing. Anywys. just to name a few right off hand. Let's not even go back to Michael Irvin and a few of the cowboys .... Good Lord. He was just saying something, Isn't that protected by his First Amendment or do we have that anymore ?!?

No, you don't have that anymore. You haven't for a long time. This forum, does not grant your Freedom of Speech, most websites don't. Off the top of my head, besides your own home, you really don't have Freedom of speech, it is pretty much an illusion.

link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

A morals clause is a provision in a contract or official document that prohibits certain behavior in a person's private life. They deal with behavior such as sexual acts and drug use. They were commonly used in the contract between actors/actresses and film studios to uphold the public image sought to be portrayed by the studio. Morals clauses are included today in certain contracts of public figures, such as athletes, actors/actresses, and others. A morals clause may also be made part of a judgment for divorce or marital dissolution, typically preventing unmarried cohabitation or overnight guests of the opposite sex while children are present.

This still shouldn't be able to affect your First Amendment NEITHER SHOULD ANY LAW !!! Or anything. THis is what our Forefathers fought for ... it is the First Freakin ONE !!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

And herein lies the problem !!! What are we doing letting these freedoms being taken away ?!?!?! it is time to stand up.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
As much as I hate to say this but I don't think he'll be punished too much. Maybe miss a couple of games and/or a big fine. It isn't like he went out and killed someone or cause a disturbance in a strip club, or shot himself in the leg in a night club. It may be hate speech and rub people the wrong way, but in the end it was just a twitter update that he made that he shouldn't. All of us have the right to their own opinion and right or wrong, whether we agree with it or not, it is still just an twitter update and should we really get this bent out of shape. He has apologized and we should move on.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What L.J. said:

Larry Johnson post first comment for his father at 7 P.M. on Monday : “My father played for the coach from ‘rememeber the titans’. Our coach played golf. My father played for redskins briefley. Our coach. Nuthn.”

On Twitter page, Johnson also referred to a “fag pic” and called a person a “Christopher street boy,” a reference to a gay area in New York’s Greenwich Village. Johnson was heating up Twitter with a series of comments against rookie head coach Toddy Haley.

Source: b4tea.com...

link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well you have to admit that his coach and boss do kinda suck. I mean they have lost nearly every game for the last two seasons. I feel his pain. Praise Allah, I am not a Chiefs fan.

Plus they are called the Chiefs, couldn't that be construed as a Native American slur?

link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

I think you're missing the point. In most jobs you, rather on duty or not, are a representative of that company. And if you do things or make comments that, due to your position, one might associate with the company, you can and probably WILL be fired.

ESPECIALLY if you call your manager a faggot. Which is what Johnson did, he called his coach a faggot, then called the reporters faggots also. If he would have called him a cracker, or a peckerwood, or a honky then you probably would be posting an altogether different thread.

I think that because you're a "christian", and happen to side with his beliefs on "faggots" that is why you are championing his cause. Maybe you're just a Chiefs fan.

Do a quick search, type in 'employee fired facebook', or 'employee fired myspace' and see how often someone is fired because of idiocy they choose to put on the web.

Just as often people are fired for being arrested, etc... Not just something on the internet.

Not reprimanding Johnson for his statements could very easily have sent the message that the Chiefs support his actions. The same way Vick was condoned by his team, and the NFL for his, to distance their ideals, from his. And to note that they don't share those ideals, or will allow their employess to public endorse them either.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
And herein lies the problem !!! What are we doing letting these freedoms being taken away ?!?!?! it is time to stand up.

I'm not seeing an issue here. The players and coaches are compensated MASSIVELY for any loss of rights. They want the millions they sign the paper. It's an agreement with the team. AGREEMENT.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Oh holy cow. He said something was a "fag pic" and he is in trouble for that. Policitcal correctness has run amok in this totalitarian state we find ourselves living in these days. Next someone will get fired for calling someone a weanie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join