It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of people have no sexuality at all, and have no liking for anything?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was wondering, about this. Just how many males, as women do not really need to be interested in sex to have sex, but what percentage of males, do you think have absolutely no sexual preference.

Is there a term for that?

I suppose many run into priesthood, because they may feel like this but not all obviously.

I have spoken to people, and they say you cannot have no sexual prefernce it is just hidden inside you without you understanding it, or it being awoken.

So do you people think there is a percentage of males that have absolutely no interest in sex period, and what do you think goes wrong in them for it to be hidden or never awoken as it may be walled of in you or something. I think you get my drift.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Out of every person (guy or girl) that i know have a desire for sex and finds one or other or both sexes attractive. I know of noone that has no interest in any sexual activity whatsoever. Some people are very introverted and may not be very open about their sexuality but that doesnt mean they dont have one.

If a study has been done on this I'm sure the findings were either none at all or too small to be practical.

Also I dont think we can include celebites in this because its usually a moral or religious "choice" rather than a sexual preference.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I know there is a term for it: Asexuality

Check it out here :

Asexuality

According to the wiki entry, taken from a study:

Based on the results, respondents were given a score ranging from 0-100 for hetero-eroticism and from 0-100 for homo-eroticism. Respondents who scored lower than 10 on both were labeled "asexual." This consisted of 5% of the males and 10% of the females. Results showed that asexuals were more likely to have low self-esteem and more likely to be depressed than members of other sexual orientations. 25.88% of heterosexuals, 26.54% bisexuals (called "ambisexuals"), 29.88% of homosexuals, and 33.57% of asexuals were reported to have problems with self-esteem.

While it doesn't show a percentage of the population as a whole, it does demonstrate a percentage of a cross section, which I must admit is a lot higher than I would have anticipated.

Hope that helps your questions!

Oh, and for the record, no I am not an asexual myself

Peace!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Interesting question however I'm going to give you a pretty obvious answer although of course its only my opinion but I'm pretty sure it could be backed up by science.

Technically its impossible to not have an interest in sex, at the lowest level we exist simply to reproduce - thats nature.

I think males and females can have sex with someone but also not have an interest or want to do so.

I've contradicted myself there but bear with me...

As you have mentioned there are reasons for people to "go off" sex and this can also lead to people simply going through the motions.

Sexual abuse, social stigma, family taboo subject are all reasons why someone could be put off from having sex. Sometimes in these cases the individual doesn't reveal this to their partners and has sex with them anyways, like I said simply going through the motions.

But as far as I know, with a few very rare exceptions, there is no such thing as not having any sexual interest.

I have read about a car crash victim who suffered brain damage which affected the part of the brain involved with sexual desire and as such have no sex drive what so ever, but as I said above thats a rare exception.

There are a variety of psychological reasons why someone would have no interest in sex.

Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
For the record, I am quite asexual.

I have absolute no desire for a physical relationship because I do not think it is a main component in life and one has gone numerous without a sexual relationship too.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

How far down your path are you? I think thats the real question when your considering sexual orientation. Sex is just another experience. Now im not saying preference. Im just saying.

link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Thats why i said, that people have said that you cannot have no sexual desire, it is just hidden deep down for some reason, and walled of like.

Interesting from stats above, although i would think most males, and females would never openly say they where asexual, i wonder what the true number really is.

I am sure there could be many reasons, for people being asexual, and will be interesting to see how this thread goes.

Plus this thread is not about me, lol, though it is interesting. I wondered quite alot about living a spiritual life, and this is why i wondered about these things. I just wonder what percentage of say priests, are asexual, or how many run away from there sexual orientation, altogether for stigma reasons of society etc...

[edit on 10/22/2009 by andy1033]

link   

Howd that happen? Please delete.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by onequestion]

link   

Originally posted by infinite
For the record, I am quite asexual.

I have absolute no desire for a physical relationship because I do not think it is a main component in life and one has gone numerous without a sexual relationship too.

But there must be a reason why you don't think it is a main component in life?

Surely being in a relationship with someone having such an intimate experience such as sex with a partner is the ultimate expression of love?

And no, I'm not some soppy romantic and yes I have had one night stands purely for pleasure.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Sorry if my closing statement seemed like a jab..
I've nothing but utmost respect for people's orientations, after all, we're all living breathing humans each with different needs and wishes.

I'm sure the OP will have some questions for you, but I'll leave that to the OP.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I know of one couple at least that they are quite open that the male had no interest in sex, and they have never done it, do not know why they tell people though.

There is a difference between a male pretending to have sex with someone, and not being interested in having sex, which would make pretending part quite hard, i would imagine.

But like said above, there must be so many reasons why a male and his sexuality could be messed up so bad, he will never want sex in his life. The mind builds up walls i would imagine, and i assume those people would not be able to take them down, without seriously trusting someone.

Funny how the male mind works, and the smallest thing in the youth may have triggered it, and it walls, in the mind.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Of course, reproduction is our biological imperative but I do not believe it is a significant action of enjoying a relationship. A cliché, but sex is not everything.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Almost every aspect of life has variations or a continuum if you will. Of course there will naturally be everything from people who think about nothing else but sex all the way to the other end to those who never think about it at all.

Your life circumstances, age or health can affect a person's desires. In other words sexual drive is not necessarily unchanging either. There are a lot of older folks who still can never get enough, but ......

I always was one more into quality than quantity, and as i age I am more that way than ever. Compared to my friends I might as well be a-sexual.

I am sure that even an a-sexual person would still have the ability to desire sex, should that one right person come along whose phermones and all other triggers/characteristic were a perfect match to his/her own architecture and makeup.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I would say that a person not desiring sex would have to suffer from either severe depression, severe psychological trauma, severe hormonal imbalance, or sever physical problems. After all, we are wired to want to have sex and it is one of the main driving factors in human behavior.

If one day I woke up and didn't want to have sex ever again I would run to the doctor and beg for help.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by ChronicBoom]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
many people have suggested and studies in rats have shown that in crowed areas rates of asexual behaviour rise considerably - it could be that hormones which are affected by crowding reduce the sexual desire as a population control, or more likely to prepare a population to split off into a new hive or tribal group.

I did hear a radio call in about asexual experiences many people phoned in to agree that they had little or no interest in physical sexual activity untill after they moved away and set up a new and stable life - often this happened in their thirtys but of course as ever many people phoned it saying they had remained asexual their entire life, or the 40-50 years of it they'd lived so far.

Amoung asuexual people much like amoung homosexual, hetrosexual and transgender people there are massive divides of opinon, many like to fantasize but dont like physical contact while many others don't fantasize and kinda enjoy physicsl contact but never do anything to initiate due to lack of desire or interest. Their are just as many cases in which it can be proven to be or have been a psychological issue as their are cases which clearly show it to be a physicalogical issue (and some debate weather theres a difference) - all in all its just one of those things far too complex to sum up.

best advice i ever heard was do what you think is the right thing to do to ensure your life is long and enjoyable. hehe this is far more complex than it sounds but also more simple than too.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Of course, reproduction is our biological imperative but I do not believe it is a significant action of enjoying a relationship. A cliché, but sex is not everything.

I agree with that 100% but apart from a natural point of view its enjoyable to have sex with your partner regardless of whether your trying to reproduce.

Can I ask without being too personal what your thoughts and opinions are on masturbation ?

I would again say its a natural instinct.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChronicBoom
I would say that a person not desiring sex would have to suffer from either severe depression, severe psychological trauma, severe hormonal imbalance, or sever physical problems. After all, we are wired to want to have sex and it is one of the main driving factors in human behavior.

If one day I woke up and didn't want to have sex ever again I would run to the doctor and beg for help.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by ChronicBoom]

Pretty much spot on in my opinion.

Unless like I said they have a major bump on the head and suffered brain damage.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I think that would fall under severe physical problems. That would take quite a smack on the noggin to knock your sex drive out.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Not just males mate, many female rape victims do not have sex for a long period of time and some probably don't ever want anything to do with sex again because of the association that it brings.

As I said, theres plenty of psychological reason why one wouldnt have sex but naturally its normal to want to have sex.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Well it sort of depends on how you define 'normal' really.

Like, if you take homosexuals as a case in point. It's usually considered normal for people to want to have sex, but doesn't that stem from the reproduction instinct?
So if you consider that homosexuality isn't about a reproductive need, but rather an expression of love between two men or two women, is it considered abnormal?

I guess it really finds its roots in cultural upbringings and social perceptions.

Peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join