It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of people have no sexuality at all, and have no liking for anything?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
reply to post by Death_Kron

Well it sort of depends on how you define 'normal' really.

Like, if you take homosexuals as a case in point. It's usually considered normal for people to want to have sex, but doesn't that stem from the reproduction instinct?
So if you consider that homosexuality isn't about a reproductive need, but rather an expression of love between two men or two women, is it considered abnormal?

I guess it really finds its roots in cultural upbringings and social perceptions.

Peace

Well I have strong opinions about homosexuality however I won't go into them for fear of distracting the questions asked by the OP.

However, I will say homosexuals obviously find it a natural instinct to have sex albeit with the same sex.

That "want" is still there.

[edit on 22/10/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

That "want" is still there.

Good point I guess. Simple and well rounded!

But yeah, I guess the issue on this thread is more what removes that 'want' in asexuals and how they still enjoy rich full lives..

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

I know the study you refer to and I find it from first hand experience to be very real, Since I moved to the woods my testosterone levels have spiked sharply upwards... Surely fresh air and exercise is part of the equation but definitively my drive is like a teenagers again and the only thing that can account for it is the effects of population density.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChronicBoom
I would say that a person not desiring sex would have to suffer from either severe depression, severe psychological trauma, severe hormonal imbalance, or sever physical problems. After all, we are wired to want to have sex and it is one of the main driving factors in human behavior.

If one day I woke up and didn't want to have sex ever again I would run to the doctor and beg for help.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by ChronicBoom]

It is true that people who avoid sexual and romantic relationships tend to have experienced some form of abuse in their past. However, it is also true that past sexual abuse may also lead to hypersexuality. It really depends on the specifics of the person and their experiences. I don't think it would be fair to say, "all asexuals" were sexually abused. Lets be clear: Asexualism is not a psychological disorder. Lets not try to make it one here on ATS

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I believe "asexuality" has it's roots in disease, genetic disorder or other health affliction. There are many conditions that can negatively affect the libido, men baring the brunt of most possibilities.

Things like early-onset andropause, Klinefelter's syndrome which occurs when men are born with an additional X chromosome (sometimes numerous), pituitary tumor, high levels of prolactin, testicular tumor or damage from childhood, and many more.

There is danger in the asexual label because it makes those suffering from the symptoms content with that being a legitimate answer rather than seeking out real medical advice which would surely find and correct the problem.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Some don't look for a sexual partner.

People may think they are Asexuality.

But what type of solo fetish's or other things do they do and never tell anyone about out of fear that they will be ridiculed.

In 35 years of working as a vol EMT i can tell you that there are more people with sexual fetish's then many people would believe.
and its not just guys there are a lot of gals that like there battery powered toys.

Don't worry us EMTs will not tell but we do have a laugh once in a while.
In the US it comes under the HIPAA privacy rules

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Im asexual, Happily married with a wife that understand my situation and like a previous poster said is not a central part of our relationship, dont get me wrong we do have sex, less than a normal couple would have I guess but we have worked and made our relationship work.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't know if I can buy into the whole link between being Asexual and disease and other maladies, honestly from what I've seen it seems that sex causes a fair share of problems such as unwanted pregnancies, STDs, and a whole host of emotional issues that rack peoples brains on a daily basis.

From a social perspective I think the Asexual crowd is actually lagging behind in overall acceptance. Imagine being a 20-something male college student and explaining to roommates in the dorms that you aren't dead set on going out and getting laid every weekend, that you fill your time with more enriching (and often healthy) activities like hiking, fishing, even just reading. Or even the young college aged female who doesn't share her peers lust for a particular school sports star, how would she be viewed by those around her if she explained her views on sex and sexuality?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Some don't look for a sexual partner.

People may think they are Asexuality.

But what type of solo fetish's or other things do they do and never tell anyone about out of fear that they will be ridiculed.

In 35 years of working as a vol EMT i can tell you that there are more people with sexual fetish's then many people would believe.
and its not just guys there are a lot of gals that like there battery powered toys.

Don't worry us EMTs will not tell but we do have a laugh once in a while.
In the US it comes under the HIPAA privacy rules

But then again, there is a difference between being asexual and being autosexual...

But you're right about fetishes there, like I'd bet that nearly everyone has something that does it for them more than other things, it's just the extent and social prejudice between them that makes that person's particular 'thing' noticeable.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There can be many reasons for lack of desire for sex - one of which is perfectly natural hormonal change - particularly for women after the menopause.
This is a different issue from sexual orientation.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
I don't know if I can buy into the whole link between being Asexual and disease and other maladies, honestly from what I've seen it seems that sex causes a fair share of problems such as unwanted pregnancies, STDs, and a whole host of emotional issues that rack peoples brains on a daily basis.

From a social perspective I think the Asexual crowd is actually lagging behind in overall acceptance. Imagine being a 20-something male college student and explaining to roommates in the dorms that you aren't dead set on going out and getting laid every weekend, that you fill your time with more enriching (and often healthy) activities like hiking, fishing, even just reading. Or even the young college aged female who doesn't share her peers lust for a particular school sports star, how would she be viewed by those around her if she explained her views on sex and sexuality?

Like anyone who is rejected from a peer group for their differencces I suppose. I would have to assume that most people with this lack of preferance keeps it to themselves and probably often fakes their desire for sex to blend in.

I read somewhere and God only knows where that there are people that are attracted to other objects that are not human like furniture, candy or electronics so my question is are these people asexual because they are not attracted to humans? But they still have a sexual desire just very different from most. Or what about people who are into beastiality? Are they asexual? Does the term asexual only define people who are not attracted to humans? Just a question.

I know it sounds weird and it is not funny but it kinda is I just can't imagine looking at a chair or a lifesaver and thinking God you turn me on, come over here and let me touch you ... insert tiger growl ... LOL ...

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Melissa101]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Melissa101]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join