It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sneaky Microsoft plug-in puts Firefox users at risk

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hilarious! Not only does Microsoft screw up the browser *it* designed, it manages to screw up someone else's browser in the process? Brilliant move M$! Truly brilliant! *Sarcasm!*

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

It all depends what you put into your home computer.....

Here is my chassis fits 1 Cheetah 15000rpm SCSI and 8 Hot Swapable SATA Drives all Seagate Barracudas 7200rpm. My chassis currently has 5.5 tb hdd plus the SCSI OS drive....

SuperMicro Tower / 4U high Chassis

Here is my 6.5 year old Motherboard sporting qty 2 - Dual Hyper threading Core 64bits Xeon 3.6Ghz processors... only 6 Gbyte Ram the second is 5 Gbytes.

6.5 year old 64bit Dual Xeon SuperMicro Motherboard

Last year I tore it apart and added Koolance water kooling stuff so it is now silent. True multi-tasking doesn't mean Windows or Linux running more than one application but several computers link via KVM to your Keyboard, Video and mouse. So I have two of these computers (sister computers) to my 24 inch Fujitsu/Siemens wide screen LCD, Keytronics Keyboard (hey dinos remember Keytronics?) and MS Ergo Mouse optical.

Here is a new Dual Core 64bit Dual Xeon which is faster than i7 motherboard if I decide to keep the chassis and install new motherboard, ram, cpu's and GPU!

If I had to replace my Motherboard This would be it

If you look at my avatar you will see one of my computers after waterkooling it..... I added ice cubes which is why I am called IceHappy. I started waterkooling 7 years ago....

To answer your question I don't believe there is a factory built computer that equals mine if you don't use the age against my motherboard. If you do then look at the last link and compare that one!!! Btw a factory worker should not do better work than yourself.... So more love and care should go into your "home built" computer.... I have a PhD friend who is a Robotic Scientist using one of these computers at a famous University in Scotland and Alan is well published in his field. Again if built correctly you too could have a dream machine come turn. I don't have the Windows problems other people complain about.

Sorry for those who yell braggered or off thread as the question was asked by C0bzz, I only tried to answer by example.

BTW if you have any questions U2U me.

FAO Metro

You are right and wrong. In my example the person I was talking to does not have or own any Apple OS's therefore this would be a new package with Lic not an update. Yes you are right if you have Apple OS then Snow Leopard would be only an update. Sorry I listed the incorrect price which was for the update not the new OS with Lic. I just had surgery and still not thinking clearly.....

edit post to add note to Metro and reworded poorly constructed sentence not to say I know how to write....

[edit on 10/19/2009 by IceHappy]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
holy smokes! found it on my comp..uninstalled it pronto!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Nice computer.

Here is a new Dual Core 64bit Dual Xeon which is faster than i7 motherboard if I decide to keep the chassis and install new motherboard, ram, cpu's and GPU!

I don't think anything comes close to an i7 at this stage... I built one which I overclocked to 4.2ghz on air.... Honestly I don't see much point in getting a computer if I cannot overclock it --- why spend loads of money if you cannot use it? Hardware can be pushed far further than what it is at while stock. (And overclocking is fun anyways...) Anyway, on the i7, it has more instructions per clock, and about 3 times more bandwidth than any other architecture while running at higher clock speeds. The only Xeon which is similar to the i7 is the 5500-series, which is an i7 with a couple of server specific features. All Core i7's are faster than even the QX9770 or whatever the server specific version of that is.

[edit on 19/10/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Don't let fear keep you from trying something new. Linux is very easy to use. WINE can run many Windows applications in Linux or there are other programs to run you favorite apps in Linux. - "Try it you'll like it."

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Linux all the way for me, granted I have a windows installation (windows 7) and an OS X installation on this system, but I rarely use them. Everything I ever need is there on linux, and its (mostly, damn you cedega) all free. I never have problems with viruses, spyware or occasional blue screens, i've never had a kernel panic it just works, and it's getting easier for the average user to use (i would imagine compiling the latest source for whatever latest program and making sure all dependencies are satisfied would confuse most).

I think Microsoft are just playing funny buggers because they have had their arses slapped by the EU over browser monopolys (or whatever it was).

MGMERKIN take a look at this beauty tyan.com...
or this tyan.com...

I know Intel are currently in front with the processors, but could you imagine 4 Quad core opterons running in these? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, lmao.

[edit on 19/10/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You tell them woogleuk. Keep in mind, when I need to fix a windows machine or remove a virus my tool is LINUX. Hey, that should tell you something.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

OverClocking is a must. This is the why for Koolance CPU Water Blocks, GPU Water Blocks and of course Northbridge and Southbridge Blocks and don't forget the Exos2.5 External Cooling box with 3 * 120mm fans larger radiator and stronger pump.... Water kooling is designed for overclockers!!!! Asetek also has some really new kit on the market as well!!! I used both and recommend both companies highly.

SuperMicro does a fantastic range in i7 motherboard in fact one of them will take 4 GPU's.

When building your self a chain (computer) make each item installed in your home built computer is a hero in its own right then the chain will have no weak links.... and a very strong computer for years to come....

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fisheye

Well, when I need to fix a Windows computer I use Windows, does that tell you something?

PS: I never needed to fix mine, I never had an unbootable system or a virus problem with my own computer

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Anyone got any advice for me regarding Ubuntu?

I us ububtu on one machine and MS pro on another. The ubuntu machine is 5 year older than the MS machine and ubuntu runs twice as fast never hangs no defag needed personally love it, and as soon as the new ver arrives any day now my laptop will be change too. Mind you I dont have any probs with windows it runs ok its just that ubuntu is so nice to use.
Wait for the new ver then change - cheers

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

Yeah, I've noticed this behavior also. I implicitly turned off auto-updates. But weeks later... I'll get a msg... Updates are ready to be installed.... Or when I do a shutdown. There are updates to be installed... WTF....

I remember when auto updates first started happening... Hospital computers were getting all messed up because Service Pack's were being installed, etc...

Now there seems to be a bug/virus that turns auto updates back on....

Micro$oft Sucks. Linux Rules. Pick a flavor... Any flavor... They are all better then Micro$oft.

And open source means no hidden software... How much you wanna bet Bill Gates can access any Windows PC out there via a personal back door? It wouldn't surprise me...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
MS has always used ideas from other companies. Throw millions of dollars behind and squash the little guy. That is why IE came out, to compete with Mozilla. Bill Gates missed the boat on the internet and scrambled to get a browser out there.

From Day ONE. When Bill Gates worked at IBM, he noticed IBM didn't copyright DOS and stole it from them. DOS became MS DOS. He freely admits this. He says he warned IBM about it, but they didn't care as they were only interested in the hardware aspect of sales.

Later, Apple came out with a Graphical User Interface. BG stole this also. Rather smartly. One person wrote down everything Apple's software did. EVERYTHING. Then this person hands it over to a lawyer. Then the lawyer hands it over to BG. This protected BG from reverse engineering law suites because he had never used Apple software initially.

I've also heard Vista was copied from Apple's OS X software, cosmetic features anyway.

Kodak built a picture/movie package to help their declining sales after digital photography became so popular. Shortly thereafter, MS introduced their Photo/Movie software and included it in their OS. No one needed the Kodak software anymore.

Its easy to take out a little competition when you can toss a utility (& a few million) into your OS, and give it away freely included w/ your OS.

There was a movie. About this SW giant who had access to people computers. If there were onto something big. He would just connect, download the software and send his goon squad to take care of the loose ends... (Usually the coder) It was mimicking BG practices somewhat.
A good show, but I can't remember the name...

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
There are several problems with your post, so let's deny some ignorance, OK?

Originally posted by ByteChanger
MS has always used ideas from other companies. Throw millions of dollars behind and squash the little guy. That is why IE came out, to compete with Mozilla. Bill Gates missed the boat on the internet and scrambled to get a browser out there.
Microsoft was late to the Internet, but the first version of IE that was part of the Plus! add-on for Windows 95 appeared before Mozilla, that was based on Netscape Communicator, made it's first appearance in 1998.

From Day ONE. When Bill Gates worked at IBM, he noticed IBM didn't copyright DOS and stole it from them. DOS became MS DOS. He freely admits this. He says he warned IBM about it, but they didn't care as they were only interested in the hardware aspect of sales.
As far as I know Bill Gates never worked at IBM.

IBM asked Microsoft for a BASIC interpreter for the new IBM PC. IBM also needed an operating system, but they could not reach an agreement with Digital Research. When Bill Gates learnt that he proposed a Microsoft altered version of QDOS, and Microsoft made a deal with the makers of QDOS, in which Microsoft was the only agent that could sell QDOS and the original makers would get part of each licence sold.

Microsoft only sold one licence to IBM for 50,000$, so that was the only money the makers of QDOS saw from that deal. Microsoft didn't sold the copyright to IBM.

Later, Apple came out with a Graphical User Interface. BG stole this also. Rather smartly. One person wrote down everything Apple's software did. EVERYTHING. Then this person hands it over to a lawyer. Then the lawyer hands it over to BG. This protected BG from reverse engineering law suites because he had never used Apple software initially.
Yes, but Apple stole the idea from Xerox.

I've also heard Vista was copied from Apple's OS X software, cosmetic features anyway.
As far as I know, only a very small part, and the reverse has also happened, with some things in Linux that were copied from Windows.

Kodak built a picture/movie package to help their declining sales after digital photography became so popular. Shortly thereafter, MS introduced their Photo/Movie software and included it in their OS. No one needed the Kodak software anymore.
No, this was before digital photography became popular, it was scanning software.

Its easy to take out a little competition when you can toss a utility (& a few million) into your OS, and give it away freely included w/ your OS.
Yes, and that is called capitalism.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Yes, Ubuntu 9.10 release (code named Karmic Koala) is next Thursday so grab it. Its awesomeness in a binary box.

Good blog about Ubuntu stuff: www.omgubuntu.co.uk...

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
reply to post by C0bzz

I us ububtu on one machine and MS pro on another. The ubuntu machine is 5 year older than the MS machine and ubuntu runs twice as fast never hangs no defag needed personally love it, and as soon as the new ver arrives any day now my laptop will be change too. Mind you I dont have any probs with windows it runs ok its just that ubuntu is so nice to use.
Wait for the new ver then change - cheers

This is great info. I was just looking into Ubuntu (though I admit to not knowing anything about it at this moment) but it is worth the look...

Now to decide, upgrade to from Vista to Windows 7? or what..... I don't know.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
There are several problems with your post, so let's deny some ignorance, OK?

OK,it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something.
(0-0)

Microsoft was late to the Internet, but the first version of IE that was part of the Plus! add-on for Windows 95 appeared before Mozilla, that was based on Netscape Communicator, made it's first appearance in 1998.

Mozilla was made for Win 3.11, before Win95's IE. (1-0)

As for B. Gates working for IBM... Well, he was contracted by IBM, which is virtually the same. (2-0)

.... When Bill Gates learnt that he proposed a Microsoft altered version of QDOS, and Microsoft made a deal with the makers of QDOS, in which Microsoft was the only agent that could sell QDOS and the original makers would get part of each license sold.

Microsoft only sold one license to IBM for 50,000$, so that was the only money the makers of QDOS saw from that deal. Microsoft didn't sold the copyright to IBM.

Ok. you got me there. But the jest was, he made out like a bandit with someone else s OS. I guess my recollection of the facts were wrong. My bad. Sorry. (2-1)

Yes, but Apple stole the idea from Xerox.

Wohoo, your in agreement. Partially anyway. I didn't know that about Xerox... (another story.. Poor Mr. Xerox... No one wanted his machine...)

(2-2)

As far as I know, only a very small part,

Yes, I agree, only a very small part in regards to Vista. cosmetic stuff mostly. But Win 1.0 was the real reverse engineering feat. Almost as bad as when Clone PC's came out by duplicating IBM's motherboard. But again, another story...
(2-2)

and the reverse has also happened, with some things in Linux that were copied from Windows.

I kinda disagree with you here. Linux is open source. You decide what software you want to load into it. For instance, my Debian box doesn't even have a GUI installed... It is 100% command line... But, I could download some open source code (not necessarily Linux's per say) and install a GUI that has features probably copied from MS.

ie:

The name "Linux" comes from the Linux kernel, originally written in 1991 by Linus Torvalds. The rest of the system usually comprises components such as the Apache HTTP Server, the X Window System, the GNOME and KDE desktop environments, and utilities and libraries from the GNU Project"

But I do see your point. It does seem that companies easily copy the competitors ideas nowadays.

(2-2)

No, this was before digital photography became popular, it was scanning software.

Kodak had accused Microsoft of unfairly designing Windows XP in the way it handles digital photos. The photo products maker said Windows XP limited consumer choice in the default application for manipulating photos and steered consumers to Microsoft's preferred online photo processors.

Kodak's criticism appears to have been quelled by Microsoft changing one dialog box affecting how Windows XP handles imaging devices, such as digital cameras and scanners. Kodak agreed that its software would not automatically become the default for any digital camera attached to a PC--including competitors'--and to publicly support Windows XP.

source: news.cnet.com...

Well, the initial court dispute was over the way MS incorporated an application in their OS to handle digital photos.

(3-2)

Yes, and that is called capitalism.

Or building a monopoly...

I know... I was bashing MS without getting ALL my facts straight. But the jest is there and I don't think it is too misleading... Except for the part MS stole the OS from IBM.
(3-3)

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

OMG... I didn't realize I was debating with a moderator... Please don't ban me.....

Edit: PS: I found this clip from 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'. Kinda neat.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by ByteChanger]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ByteChanger
Mozilla was made for Win 3.11, before Win95's IE. (1-0)
From the Mozilla history page:

The Mozilla project was created in 1998 with the release of the Netscape browser suite source code that was intended to harness the creative power of thousands of programmers on the Internet and fuel unprecedented levels of innovation in the browser market. Within the first year, new community members from around the world had already contributed new functionality, enhanced existing features and became engaged in the management and planning of the project itself.

The first Netscape Navigator (that's why Microsoft's browser is called Explorer
) code is from 1994 and they based their work on the original Mosaic browser, the first popular web browser (it was the first browser I used, in their 1995 version).

As for B. Gates working for IBM... Well, he was contracted by IBM, which is virtually the same. (2-0)
He was not contracted, his company (Microsoft) was. Would you say the same thing if they had contracts with 20 companies, that Bill Gates was working for all 20, or would you say that Microsoft had a contract with 20 companies?
It may be nit-picking, but I do not consider that as "working for".

Wohoo, your in agreement. Partially anyway. I didn't know that about Xerox... (another story.. Poor Mr. Xerox... No one wanted his machine...)
Yes, the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center was the source of many things (like laser printers), but they did not copyrighted some of them.

Yes, I agree, only a very small part in regards to Vista. cosmetic stuff mostly. But Win 1.0 was the real reverse engineering feat. Almost as bad as when Clone PC's came out by duplicating IBM's motherboard. But again, another story...
Yes, this sophisticated piece of software.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/855113e59b06e93d.jpg[/atsimg](the floppy-disk icon at the bottom shows that the "MS-DOS Executive" was also open.

I kinda disagree with you here. Linux is open source. You decide what software you want to load into it. For instance, my Debian box doesn't even have a GUI installed... It is 100% command line... But, I could download some open source code (not necessarily Linux's per say) and install a GUI that has features probably copied from MS.
Yes, that's obviously what I meant, not Linux itself, this time I was the one that allowed the nit-picking by my choice of words.

Well, the initial court dispute was over the way MS incorporated an application in their OS to handle digital photos.
Yes, but that was because they could not use anything else to break the previous agreement, that allowed Windows (from Win95 to Win2000) to ship with the Wang (and then bought by Kodak) ActiveX controls and other binaries to work with scanners and digital images.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

The first Netscape Navigator (that's why Microsoft's browser is called Explorer
) code is from 1994 and they based their work on the original Mosaic browser, the first popular web browser (it was the first browser I used, in their 1995 version).

Oops.. Maybe I was thinking of Mosaic... I know, convenient of me, but its been like 20 years... Never the less, you are right. (0-1)

Would you say the same thing if they had contracts with 20 companies, that Bill Gates was working for all 20, or would you say that Microsoft had a contract with 20 companies?

Well, to be honest. You got me again... I was going to say, as a contractor, I have worked for many companies... But, I'm playing with words. (0-2)

Yes, this sophisticated piece of software.

I was sure it was the entire OS that was reveresed engineered, not just an application... But, judging by my score so far, I am probably wrong. (0-3)

Yes, that's obviously what I meant, not Linux itself, this time I was the one that allowed the nit-picking by my choice of words.

Ok. I didn't realize at the time of posting you were familiar with Linux.

Yes, but that was because they could not use anything else to break the previous agreement, that allowed Windows (from Win95 to Win2000) to ship with the Wang (and then bought by Kodak) ActiveX controls and other binaries to work with scanners and digital images.

Wow, haven't heard that name in awhile 'Wang'.... I was just aware of the Kodak/MS lawsuit about digital photos. I was unaware of their previous disputes/agreements. (0-4)

Ok. I will admit it. I posted ignorant/erroneous facts. Not on purpose, I thought everything I posted was somewhat accurate.
My recollection and knowledge of past events is not as good as yours obviously.

Thanks for helping me to 'Deny Ignorance" or admit it anyway...

(Edited to fix quote structures)

[edit on 24-10-2009 by ByteChanger]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I went linux about 4 days ago. My reaction after unhinging most of the bugs?

HOLY. FREAKING. MACKEREL.

I stuffed it on a Dell 2.66, with a 128 mb Nvidia video card and 896 mb of ram. The thing came with XP (And I will only use XP for movies, until the DVD player gets the last few problems fixed, and Netflix. Hooray for dual boot). Even when this thing is bogging down, it runs like a racehorse on speed with linux! I admit to botching a few items on my own starting out- this machine was to be used to test Xubuntu and learn the ins and outs til I got back my 3D beast. I got tired of XP acting like an ass with every last 3d thing I did, the HD spinning like the teacups at Disneyland for ANY thing I wanted to do.... Xubuntu? I've kept a watch on the HD light. It barely flickers 90% of the time. I don't count loading programs, starting webpages, ect- I am counting normal operating of the system: running a game, rendering a 3d image, running around on a website. That light sees less action than I do when I try to get a date, and that's SAYING something!

I did a simple test: I ran my fave 3d program, loaded up a simple object, and did texturing, backscattering (think holding up a glass of milk to the light. See how the light 'sorta' comes thru? that's light beng backscattered), and reflection. Results? XP: 2-3 mins. Xubuntu? 1 to 2 mins and a little change. Granted, the video card has it's limits as well... but they only show up in this OS when I really work the snot out of the thing. There's also none of those annoying delays when I close a program, OR start one! Firefox is nearly instant. Xp? I hear gringrindgrindWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE, and I get the outline of the browser window for like 15-20 seconds.

Xp is ONLY around for like I said- movies, and Netflix. I haz Bin Convurtered, Brothers! Ah preach da good news of Linux! Go, my XP enslaved friends, find your flavor!

This- coming from someone who's been on Windows ever SINCE I got a 386! Something to think about.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by wylekat]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join