It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the Republicans hypocrites? The other side.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Now before anyone starts, I am a conservative. I have voted republican for almost all ('cept one time) the time. I admire the values they "talk" about. I admire the personna they present.

But they have been hypocrites. They talk about lowering taxes then they vote to raise taxes. They talk about family values and then cheat on spouses. They talk about smaller government, and yet it keeps getting bigger. They talk about immigration, healthcare, cap and trade, but very few have the stones to stand up and fight it.

Yeah, sure, they are in the minority. When has that ever stopped the democrats from pushing their agendas? Whine, whine, complain, complain.

These are the reasons I LEFT the republican party. They didn't stand for the self same beliefs that they spouted.

I am an independant. A conservative independant. When the republican party finally grows a pair, I will return. Until then, I will point out stupidity when ever, where ever I see it.

Be it on the evil, satanic, zombie flesh-eating left, or on the hypocritical lying right.

some examples found on google
usliberals.about.com...

www.armchairsubversive.org...

www.dkosopedia.com...

My question, to my conservative colleagues, do any of you feel the same way? Am I right or too off base? Am I now feeding into liberal hype? I have felt this way for quite some time, even before joining ATS.

As a conservative, I have always felt that any hypocritical behavior, action on my part, would reflect poorly on me, my stances, and turn all my writings into nothing more than drivel. Don't you think that if we are going to act morally correct, we should at least live our life that way?

My liberal friends. Here's your chance. -BOO-YAAHH-

As always, I would like to provide you all the oppourtunity to illustrate WHY the liberal/democratic party is far superior to us lowly subservient conservatives.

On both sides, please debate. Use examples, illustrations, drawings, formulas. Show all work.

Bring it on!!!

edited for spelling, not content

[edit on 16-10-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
All politicians are dirt bags. There is plenty of hypocracy in the Democratic party. The problem with the Republicans is that George Bush left them in intellectual shambles.

The knock on conservatives 10 years ago was that they were too cerebral in their decision making and lacked heart. The Republican party was defined by people like George Will and Antonin Scalia. It was the party that read the Wall Street Journal.

Now they are the party of rabid, frothing at the mouth tea baggers. It is the party of Glen Beck and Sarah Palin. It is the party that watches Fox News.

The Republicans will stop appearing hypocritical once they get their intellectual compass. It needs smart leaders, not good ol' boys or hockey moms. It also needs to rethink some of its past stances on issues like gays and abortion. Then and only then will it rise again.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
All politicians are dirt bags. There is plenty of hypocracy in the Democratic party. The problem with the Republicans is that George Bush left them in intellectual shambles.

The knock on conservatives 10 years ago was that they were too cerebral in their decision making and lacked heart. The Republican party was defined by people like George Will and Antonin Scalia. It was the party that read the Wall Street Journal.

Now they are the party of rabid, frothing at the mouth tea baggers. It is the party of Glen Beck and Sarah Palin. It is the party that watches Fox News.

The Republicans will stop appearing hypocritical once they get their intellectual compass. It needs smart leaders, not good ol' boys or hockey moms. It also needs to rethink some of its past stances on issues like gays and abortion. Then and only then will it rise again.

It was also the party of people like me. Simple hard working folks that happened to be conservatives. I will agree that they lacked heart. They thought that their ideology would get through to all, and never felt the need to expand what they wanted to get across.
Tea Party folks (tea bagger is a real nasty term) just want what the republicans should have been delivering for years.
Last time I checked, Glenn Beck wasn't a republican, at least he doesn't say he is. Sarah Palin? I like her, hope she moves forward.
On the issues like gays and abortion. Do you just want them to adopt a liberal party line?
Gays? Who cares. Don't ask, don't care.

Abortion? A sick and disgusting practice that can only be stopped if we can return to a moral compass.

Thanks for replying though.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Where to begin? First off as a fellow conservative I feel your pain
The Republican party has fallen far from its heyday. Way too much religious influence in my view. Abortion, where does government need to set moral precedence? I can see regulating it at certain level but the whole abortion is ethically wrong argument has no place in politics. Gay marriage, no but give the homosexual community a equivalent.

Tighten down the spending and stop w/ the blasted earmarks. Stop prostituting your authority. Own up to your failings. [Actually both parties need to do this]

Too many people expect perfection in their elected officials, but in practice it's a pipe dream. A little humility may help too.

I thinks that the republican party needs to reinvent itself. Try and get with the times if you will.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

On abortion, I agree. You can't legislate morality.

Earmarks? Stupid. They just show themselves as the greed-heads that we think of when someone mentions D.C..

thanks for your reply. Glad to see that someone else feels my frustration.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Republicans are hypocrites because they talk about family values but unanimously vote in favor of gang rape. They talk about bi partisanship, but instead vote in droves against anything the left proposes.

I have come to the conclusion that both democrats and republicans need to be thrown out of office and both parties dismantled. This country is too big for only two major parties. The extreme fringe on both sides has to be cast away to make up new nutty parties that people can point at and laugh.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
To some I come off as a contradiction with my beliefs. But in the check column I have more conservative values
I would like to see a more varied religious background to republicans myself.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Like yourself, I too left the party. Showing my liver spots, it was back in 1980. I couldn't align myself with the religious right. If they had to pander for votes, they didn't need mine. I voted for John Anderson (remember him?). So I've voted third party ever since. Man, I miss the days of William F Buckley and intelligent debate. I'm sorry, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are poor substitutes. And if Sarah Palin is the best the party can do then they deserve to fail. Both parties are owned by special interests. I don't think either party has a monopoly on hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

True, but while both may be hypocrites, we're concentrating on republican hypocracy. Some have said that they need to soften their views. I'm of the mind that this is the reason they are losing so bad.

They need to return to hard core values, staunch beliefs, and hold onto them regardless.

I think they've become wimps.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
I would like to see a more varied religious background to republicans myself.

And you know? That is probably my major issue with the Republican side as well. There are so many different beliefs and cultures that I suspect feel really confused at where they belong in the system. My husband is mexican, so he's Catholic and his family tends toward the religious beliefs, but the Republicans have pushed for border control which they find kind of offensive. I can see how this might be a bit confusing...

And honestly, I'm married to a Catholic, I had Mormon friends, my best friend is a Jew and I was raised Christian. The only religion I have issues with? Christianity. I would love to see more religions expressed in the Republican party.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

They need to decide just what those hardcore values are. They can't say they are for small government and then want to embed themselves in the minutiae of people's private lives. That's hypocrisy. The Dems have no qualms about wanting to be involved in peoples lives. The Republicans need to get away from so called moral issues and focus on the fiscal. The business of America is business.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I am considered quite conservative by my sisters, mom, dad, etc. My wife considers be quite the liberal.

I very much enjoy the thinking of our very liberal founding fathers of the U.S. But, somehow, that makes me a conservative. Go figure. Anyway, I a a mixed bag when it comes to "liberal" and "conservative" issues.

Yes, the Republican party speaks to me. Well, the ideals, not the actions.
I am disgusted with what the GOP is, now.

I will paraphrase Ronald Reagan, now: I didn't leave the Democrat party, that party left me. And I didn't leave the Republican party. That party left me, too.

I am an admirer of Ron Paul. And, too, living in Kentucky, I am becoming supportive of his son, Rand. They are not Republicans. Yes, they have the support of that party, but that is a game they play. They, to the lican party, are at at least, NOT "democrats".

However, I am a great admirer of Cynthia McKinney. I really can't say what of her policies and ideals I agree with, but, hey, a woman who can assault a cop with a cell phone and get away with it, well, what can I say? Cool, baby! lol. And so I voted for her last November.

But, yeah, the Republican party is full of hypocrits. As is their nemisis party.
They both disgust me equally.They are like my grandkids, pointing fingers at each other, saying, yeah, I did that, but so did he or she!! Like that is some sort of intelligent defense. Sheesh.He did it before me so it's only fair I get to do it, too.
Oh, Jesus H. Christus, Gawd, Jehovah, Buddha, Mohammed, whoever you are, help us!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
My main problem with Republicans (or at least today's republicans post-1900) is that they have slowly advocated for a social ideal that is completely reactionary. The GOP used to be exactly what the acronym stands for; the Grand Old Party, a party representing humanitarian values, tolerance, equality, and the little guy. It somehow managed to do all of that while keeping a fiscally conservative policy (which somehow didn't screw the little guy over). Today's republican party is nothing like the old GOP, it actually doesn't even deserve the title of the GOP. It has been infected by a cancerous movement that does nothing to promote it's old values, but rather an extremist religious point of view which has no place in politics whatsoever. It's actually pretty sad what level the republican party has fallen, voting 37-63 in the senate to strike down a piece of legislation that would prevent the government from having contracts with companies that prevent their employees from suing them due to sexual abuse because it allows the government to have a say in the way a private corporation is run. I'm referring to the piece of legislation that was a response to the the case of a female KBR employee that was gang raped by 8 KBR male employees but couldn't sue KBR because it was apparently against her contract or something like that. REALLY? it's unbelievable. it really is. I just don't get how a party that i would at one time have associated with to a party that stands for everything that i oppose, i really dont

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
[as an addendum to my last post]

That being my point of view on the republican party, i believe the party is hypocritical because they completely claim to embrace those beliefs but they turn around and sometimes even spit on their old values in exchange for new ones to garner the vote. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future the Republican party split down the middle into two factions, one being a more traditional political entity that embraces the status quo but is still susceptible to a moderate shift in policy, and the other being a religious entity completely dissatisfied with the status quo, seeing is at too liberal. That also tends to make people like me to see the Republican party as a hypocritical blob of half truths. Either the split happens and the Republican party purges itself of the rabid religious right and becomes a more moderate movement, or it goes back to being a subservient, hypocritical arm of the religious right, there is no other way to really see it.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You seem to be somewhat open minded and that is the only reason that I'm even bothering to type these characters into the ethernet. First of all all politicians are hypocrites because no human can live up to the standard that we expect. Second of all you have to realize that the American way of life as you and Glenn may see it, isn't possible any more. You can't have the independence and sustain the population that we have. The two realities can't exist and are now colliding. Once you understand this phenomenon, the solution becomes clearer, but is not one that you will like.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

The trend I'm seeing here is taking on a religious nature.

As a conservative of no particular faith, that's unusual to say the least.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
You seem to be somewhat open minded and that is the only reason that I'm even bothering to type these characters into the ethernet. First of all all politicians are hypocrites because no human can live up to the standard that we expect. Second of all you have to realize that the American way of life as you and Glenn may see it, isn't possible any more. You can't have the independence and sustain the population that we have. The two realities can't exist and are now colliding. Once you understand this phenomenon, the solution becomes clearer, but is not one that you will like.

I agree that no one can live up to the ideals that society has set forth, but that's what makes our society so unique. The constant striving for something better. And if that's the case, why not demand something better from the people we vote to represent us?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

Now this is what I'm talkin' about. May not agree entirely, but appreciate the viewpoints. And as a conservative, agree with more than you think.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

thanks for posting. I agree. I think it's going to be a race to see which "party" matures faster.

The one that does, gets to be the winner.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join