It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is Nothing unusual about the Recent Earthquakes...here's why

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
reply to post by tribewilder

Earthquakes will increase, and they will get worse and worse as foretold in the Bible. I live my life based on that book as do millions of other people all around the world.

Well congratulations to the numerous authors of he bible....frankly I dont really care what it says or does not say. The thread is about discoverig about why these earthquakes happen so frequently

One reason why I don't take every hacks opinion as fact, regardless of whether or not they have a diploma in said or another field.

So Im a hck now am I? Great way to deny ignorance

Ask any number of intelligent rational people whether or not they also agree that this is coming and at least 15% will.

Great...again I dont care

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by TrueAmerican

LMFAO

I suppose if I had put that in the opening post I wouldve got more replies. Maybe the truth isnt exciting enough

You got it. If it ain't gloom and doom, nobody wants to hear it.

I posted this on 9/30
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Two deadly quakes: Is Earth unusually active?

Nope, experts say, temblors fall entirely within the average for a given year
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Between the earthquakes that struck the Samoas and Indonesia yesterday and the temblor that devastated L'Aquila, Italy earlier this year, it might seem like Earth has been particularly shaky this year.

But that's not the case: "This is not out of the ordinary as far as the year goes," said John Bellini, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

I don't think anybody even read past the first two lines because it didn't say the sky was falling. Or NASA lied. Or Jupiter was on fire. Or OMG, the government is going to kill us all. TrueAmerican is right and so are you.
Starred and flagged. And a big thank-you for facts.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
No, there's something unusual about it. I usually just ignore these earthquakes, but lately something is definitely different.

Indonesia May Face a "Supercycle" of Devastating Earthquakes

I'm gonna state this again in this thread. If the energy buildup is somehow released in several occurrences, perhaps the big one could be avoided.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thanks Oz for the post, it's what I've been saying all along in the other quake threads. Quakes happen ALL THE TIME! Some tiny, some big.

Here is another thing...Earth is not controlled by man. When she wants to blow up some magma or cause a mega quake, she'll do it and there is no predicting it or stopping it. GASP!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

GREAT THREAD my friend, it is truly apparent why YOU are FSME of Fragile Earth. This was very well presented, easy to understand, and MUCH needed with all the doom and gloom obfuscated CRAP we see here on ATS and everywhere else. Simple FACTS and an unbiased scientific approach and look at the EMPIRCAL EVIDENCE is all it takes to DENY IGNORANCE. I applaud your efforts here Oz, I just hope people see this and LISTEN to it and acknowledge it as truth, which is what it is. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us, star and flag for sure.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

Maybe its not unusual but it is having a affect.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
5.1 SantaCruz....... I don't see how this fit's in with your methodology?

Do we have a screamer here? (Books are good. Read them)

ATS… You/We, have to remain vigilant over the coming times. Have you prepared for 100% of people not being able to access this site?

I have. In part it’s CB’s and stuff.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There has been a marked increase in the
number and strength of earthquakes over the last few years.

Massive Increase in Earthquakes From 2000 - 2008

www.nowpublic.com...

Um, so ya, something IS unusual about it!
No biggie though I know! Keep moving along(and spending)everyone!
Dont panic quite yet.

There have been a lot of posts recently that imply a sudden
increase in earthquake activity. Here are some statistics going back to 1970. With each passing decade (over the last 30 years), the number of earthquakes
worldwide has been increasing progressively.

For example, in 1970 there were only 4,139; but last year there
were 23,575. -- Pretty scary stuff! Below are the actual numbers:

Read left to right -- lowest year to highest year.

1970-1979
Total 4139 4507 4548 5175 4996 5318 6308 5775 6428 7161

1980-1989
Total 7348 6829 7747 9842 10493 13115 12718 11290 12711 14585

1990-1999
Total 16612 16516 19548 21476 19371 21007 19938 19872 21688 20832 22256 (2000) 23575 (2001)

www.detailshere.com...
Good graphical chart here:
www.thehorizonproject.com...
And here:
www.divulgence.net...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Yes fair enough

But would it be fair to say that the numbers have increase with more sensitive equipment (picking up smaller almost unfelt tremors) and better technology, along with an increase in the number of seismic departments and stations acroos the world, including the establishment of seismology industry in under developed countries?

Or is that to far out to believe?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Yes, that would explain some of it, not all, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply, even though I am well aware of this already
and have factored it into my thoughts as well.

Good show, mate!

Does not fully explain the increase in strength of quakes though.
Especially in places that have had these stations for years.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
With all due respect, future events will prove your claims to be highly innaccurate. These are the early stages to a worsening buildup. You can consider the statement 'doom and gloom' but it's the simple hard truth, and in time, all will come to realise this.

Good luck in your pursuit for truth, but please try not to spread such disinfo to others in future. It will just make the acceptance of the real situation more difficult. Peace

www.poleshift2011.com

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

From a more reliable source:

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

There are several reasons for the perception that the number of earthquakes, in general, and particularly destructive earthquakes is increasing.

1) A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by telex, computer and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years, and we are able to locate earthquakes more rapidly.

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

2) The population at risk is increasing. While the number of large earthquakes is fairly constant, population density in earthquake-prone areas is constantly increasing. In some countries, the new construction that comes with population growth has better earthquake resistance; but in many it does not. So we are now seeing increasing casualties from the same sized earthquakes.

3) Better global communication. Just a few decades ago, if several hundred people were killed by an earthquake in Indonesia or eastern China, for example, the media in the rest of the world would not know about it until several days, to weeks, later, long after such an event would be deemed “newsworthy”. So by the time this information was available, it would probably be relegated to the back pages of the newspaper, if at all. And the public Internet didn't even exist. We are now getting this information almost immediately.

4) Earthquake clustering and human psychology. While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related. But when such clusters occur, especially when they are widely reported in the media, they are noticed. However, during the equally anomalous periods during which no destructive earthquakes occur, no one deems this as remarkable.

A temporal increase in earthquake activity does not mean that a large earthquake is about to happen. Similarly, quiescence, or the lack of seismicity, does not mean a large earthquake is going to happen. A temporary increase or decrease in the seismicity rate is usually just part of the natural variation in the seismicity. There is no way for us to know whether or not this time it will lead to a larger earthquake. Swarms of small events, especially in geothermal areas, are common, and moderate-large magnitude earthquakes will typically have an aftershock sequence that follows. All that is normal and expected earthquake activity.

See NEIC's Earthquake Statistics webpage for the tables of earthquake counts by magnitude and year.

Also:

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.

[edit on 2009-10-17 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
So what your saying is that smaller tremors are not a way to predict larger tremors in the future and we should ignore all tracking of earthquakes since its nothing new for the earth?

[snip]

How do you figure he's saying anything even remotely like that? He's saying that these smaller quakes are nothing unusual. Where did he say we should just ignore them? Where did he say they weren't a way to predict larger quakes (they aren't, but he didn't say that)?

All he's saying is that, just because there are some quakes along the Pacific Rim, it doesn't mean that The Big One is coming. There are always quakes along the Pacific Rim. That's why it's called an "earthquake zone". It's because it has lots of earthquakes, all the time.

I think some folks are mad because Oz isn't predicting doom and gloom, but explaining that at least one phenomenon is commonplace and not necessarily the harbinger of a major disaster.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks for that.
As I said, I am fully aware of this and have read this page also.
But, thanks anyway.
Still doesnt explain the INTENSITY increase of global quakes.

I just wish someone would tell us when for sure the next 9.0 will hit.
And actually be correct!
Then we would be on to something!

A more reliable source than one who gets paid to downplay these events?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Instead of poo pooing things, why not post helpfull
info people could use to survive these eq's?
Whether or not they are increasing or if they are "unusual"!
Like strapping water heaters to the wall and stuff like that?

Who cares really whats going on here.
We have zippo control over it anyway.
Why not concentrate on something we CAN fix!
An asteroid could wipe us out while we are argueing over eq's!

People wont change regardless.
I guess some do need reassurance though.
So for that, thanks.

We sure cant have us freaking out and taking back the world
from the corrupt 1% who owns and controls it, can we?

Eq's and all.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Yes, this isn't about whether it's unusual or usual according to mother earth, but whether there's a cause for concern, and I'll have to say that there's definitely a cause for concern. So, be vigilant, don't be complacent.

Earthquake warning system closer to reality

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

A fair point.

This may interest you then:

Quake Safe Adobe

Devastating earthquakes in Asia, The Middle East, Africa and Latin America have served as recent reminders of the vulnerability of traditional, low-cost dwellings to seismic forces. The loss of life and livelihood is often drastic, with millions of people in the poorest communities most severely affected. Adobe (mudbrick) housing is particularly vulnerable because of its inherently brittle nature, wide-spread use, generally poor construction quality and the limited awareness of concepts of aseismic design and construction. Despite these limitations, there is little doubt that adobe-mudbrick will continue to be the choice construction material for the majority of the rural poor who simply cannot afford any alternative.

In response to these needs, Dominic has been working to develop low-cost and low-tech strengthening systems which have the potential to significantly reduce injuries and loss of life during major earthquakes.

Here is a scale test of a typical adobe dwelling and the retrofitting method:

services.eng.uts.edu.au...

Accompanying video:

Very innovative if you ask me and all you need is string, bamboo, wire and timber.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
You keep on telling everyone that wizard of oz. Soon they will see that you are giving prognostications from behind the curtain using smoke and amplification to seem more important than you are.

Doom is coming and it will be a time of trouble so devastating that many will pray for death. Earthquakes figure in prominently in these end of days cataclysms that will signal the end of the history of modern man.

I make no claim as to my importance. I'm quoting that most revered ancient book that speaks of these times -->The Bible!

Science and Religion do not belong in the same thread.
Welcome to my Foe list.
(as a response to your poorly chosen post - consciousness, love, and interconnection of humans existed long before religion. Your confined, judgmental Religion is no answer.)

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Oz - awesome thread! Thank you very much for laying it all down in an easily understood manner, with pictures!

I am curious about what seems to be much more tectonic and "volcanic type" activity in Yellowstone National Park area. Got any thread recommendations? or comments on it?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by notreallyalive]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join