It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is Nothing unusual about the Recent Earthquakes...here's why

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Brilliant! That actually looks do-able also! Way kewl!

It really held up to the shaking!

I agree there are so many people who could really use this!

I dont suppose there is a charity that is funding this to start retrofitting, is there?
There should be, if not!

If you have any links where we could help out, please post!
Thanks!
Have a well deserved star!

Btw, I like your new avatar!

[edit on 17-10-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

"More to come on this (prob tomorrow its late here), but until then what is everyones opinion of the above information?"

Worth more than a star and a flag...Very well presented information.

I would point out, and forgive me if I overlooked the following in the presentation... The RED dots / masses presented on the first map represent volcanoes associated with, and within, "the Ring of Fire".

I look forward to your future "additions" to this thread, or others along the same vein.

A comment concerning the effects that we are witnessing in real time...tsunamis, falling buildings, swaying bridges, and the like...
We have seen only a small portion, expressed on the Earth's surface.
The REAL devastation is occurring Kilometers below the surface.
The rocks are subjected to intense pressures, generating heat, enough to force the rock to become pliable like putty, and even melting. We see the"melting" effects in the various types of volcanoes dotting the globe.
Imagine a few Km below the surface of these "vents", the energy being generated to melt the rock being vented in "liquid" form.
The after effects can be seen in many base metal, and precious metal mines, and especially, the open pit copper mines, where millions of years of erosion, and continued uplift, has brought the devastating effects closer to the surface. Truly a sight to behold and ponder upon.

Thank you for a delightful presentation...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Fair enough ... good information but it still doesn't explain the strange noises in areas not used to seismic activity like Minnesota.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
You know just as well as I do it's demons underneath the crust of hollow earth trying to claw their way out that is why we have earthquakes. :shk:

Great points Oz, S&F

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Something for all to ponder when talking about earthquakes and what may cause them, this is from Neil Adams the comic maker. A very interesting topic I have to say.

www.youtube.com...

Here is more on this subject.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-10-2009 by FiatLux]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyrytyes
The after effects can be seen in many base metal, and precious metal mines, and especially, the open pit copper mines, where millions of years of erosion, and continued uplift, has brought the devastating effects closer to the surface. Truly a sight to behold and ponder upon.

Thank you for a delightful presentation...

I agree, it is a delightful presentation to ponder. A reminder of how small we really are.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
You keep on telling everyone that wizard of oz. Soon they will see that you are giving prognostications from behind the curtain using smoke and amplification to seem more important than you are.

Doom is coming and it will be a time of trouble so devastating that many will pray for death. Earthquakes figure in prominently in these end of days cataclysms that will signal the end of the history of modern man.

I make no claim as to my importance. I'm quoting that most revered ancient book that speaks of these times -->The Bible!

There's no credible evidence suggesting what you've posted will come true. It's simply your belief, there's no science to back it up.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Great thread OzWeatherman.

You've provided us with a good picture of what's really responsible for all this seismic activity we've been getting lately.

Cheers mate.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is high school stuff. Basic earth knowledge. Havent everyone read this before?

This thread explains earth quakes and the fact that plate movements makes them happen. But it doesnt take into account exterior things such as how gravity pulling on the earth can cause these plates to move and thereby cause earthquakes as well.

Thats why planet x or whatever you want to call it would produce earth quakes on the earth as its coming closer.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Yes because the gravity well of planet x is so strong it is going to pull on the plates and not affect tidal activity at all. Of course it must be nubaru (or whatever it's called)

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
To the OP:

great presentation of material that lets people see how the basic processes work. This is a subject that has been of interest to me for years. It irks me when I see e.g. mag 9-plus quakes predicted for regions where the tectonics just do not even exist to allow them to happen. Like that one from about 14 months ago, that there would be a high-mag-9 quake off the Chinese coast (in July '08 if I recall rightly) that would send a massive tsunami many miles inland. In that region it's a virtual impossibility, but we still had lots of people who were seriously concerned.

There are only very few regions on the globe that have the dynamics to allow for such an event with a related tsunami. One is in the Indonesian area (as we saw), another is off the coast of Argentina and the third main one of concern is the Juan de Fuca Plate - Pacific Plate - American Plates triple junction zone, which last let go big-time on Jan 26, 1700 with a 9-plus and a massive tsunami after the Juan De underwent a major subduction.

When that one lets go again -- and expert opinion is "when", not "if" -- then the Oregon coast is in major trouble. It might happen tomorrow, or it could be hundreds of years from now. There are swarms of quakes there at intervals, some of them seismic and some volcanic in origin, but as far as I know there are no indicators that a major move could be imminent. Of course, we could all be taken by surprise, but that region is one of the most closely-monitored in the world for the very reason that a huge quake there would leave very little time to literally head for the hills.

For those who wonder -- the mountains and volcanoes there in the Pacific NW were mainly created by plate subduction, where one plate gets pushed under another and heats up under massive pressure.

Well, "were" mainly created is not quite right, as the process is still going on.

reply to post by Shirakawa

Hi Shirakawa -- good to see you! Thanks for posting all that data. I think that helps to support the concept that the main factor in the "increase" in quakes is the ability to detect and record them. There is also evidence for a net increase, but as we know, this planet is subject to variables of its own creation.

I'm still wondering about the evidence for a link between Yellowstone and remnants from subduction along the Pacific west coast... I notice Yelllowstone is doing its acting up again, too...

Mike

[edit on 17/10/09 by JustMike]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
Fair enough ... good information but it still doesn't explain the strange noises in areas not used to seismic activity like Minnesota.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, that is a real puzzle and frankly unless a nice, prosaic explanation can be found then it's a matter of concern. I've been keeping an eye on relevant threads but have yet to see anything to conclusively account for these sounds in such diverse areas.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
There are only very few regions on the globe that have the dynamics to allow for such an event with a related tsunami. One is in the Indonesian area (as we saw),

True. This area has been hit with some seriously large EQ's over the past few years. We saw a 9.1 in 2004, an 8.6 in 2005, an 8.5 in 2007, and then an 8.0 in the last couple months.

another is off the coast of Argentina

I think you mean off the coast of Chile (other side of the continent). Here is a map with the positions of the 14 largest EQ's in the world since 1900:

Here's a link to a listing of these showing the largest to be the 9.5 which hit off the coast of Chile in 1960:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

and the third main one of concern is the Juan de Fuca Plate - Pacific Plate - American Plates triple junction zone, which last let go big-time on Jan 26, 1700 with a 9-plus and a massive tsunami after the Juan De underwent a major subduction.

You forgot all about the Coast of Alaska and Aleutian Islands near the Bearing Sea, which has seen some of the largest in the world (see map and link above), as well as enormous "mega-tsunamis" generated by them in the past.

-

TO THE OP: Good info, and I appreciate the time put into the thread. I gave ya a S & F.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
LINK to USGS DATA page from which this image was generated:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

This is high school stuff. Basic earth knowledge. Havent everyone read this before?

Not everyone has.....i dont understand why you typed that. You seem to be either insinuating that the members here arent that smart and/or my thread is pointless

Thats why planet x or whatever you want to call it would produce earth quakes on the earth as its coming closer.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Copernicus]

Well great....yet like WUK said, it will affect plates but not tides? Once again, planet x is not the topic here....

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
The boxing day Tsunami in 2004 was result of one of these major subduction movements. It has been proven that there was a movement of 20m over a length of 1600km on the Sunda plate.

More to come on this (prob tomorrow its late here), but until then what is everyones opinion of the above information?

It is good information, but you are forgetting the fact that it has been found out that fluctuations in the magnetic field of the Earth, as well as fluctuations in the activity of the Sun are known to have caused earthquakes, such as the boxing day tsunamy which was caused by an earthquake in 2004.

Not only that, but fluctuations in astronomical phenomena, including from outside the Solar System, does influence and cause earthquakes on Earth.

Strong earthquakes, novae and cosmic ray environment
Yu, Z. D.
In NASA. Goddard Space Flight Center 19th Intern. Cosmic Ray Conf., Vol. 5 p 529-532 (SEE N85-34991 23-93)
Observations about the relationship between seismic activity and astronomical phenomena are discussed. First, after investigating the seismic data (magnitude 7.0 and over) with the method of superposed epochs it is found that world seismicity evidently increased after the occurring of novae with apparent magnitude brighter than 2.2. Second, a great many earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 and over occurred in the 13th month after two of the largest ground level solar cosmic ray events (GLEs). The causes of three high level phenomena of global seismic activity in 1918-1965 can be related to these, and it is suggested that according to the information of large GLE or bright nova predictions of the times of global intense seismic activity can be made.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

N. G. Khazaradze1, R. Ya. Metskhvarishvili1, M. A. Elizbarashvili1, Z. N. Miminoshvili1, I. R. Metskhvarishvili1, L. V. Nekrasova1, M. R. Metskhvarishvili1 and L. R. Khorbaladze1

(1) Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences, Department of Physics, I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Tbilisi, Georgia

Received: 13 February 2006 Accepted: 11 May 2006

Abstract Based on a comparison of the cases of a decrease in the ratio of A n/A μ (where A n and A μ are the amplitudes of the diurnal variations of the neutron and hard cosmic ray components) to the instants of the Earth crossing the neutral IMF, it has been indicated that the process of such crossing is most effective for stimulating large destructive earthquakes with a magnitude of M ≥ 6. The 11-year period in the cyclicity of the occurrence probability of the above earthquakes has been revealed.

www.springerlink.com...

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Copernicus

Not everyone has.....i dont understand why you typed that. You seem to be either insinuating that the members here arent that smart and/or my thread is pointless

Im just very surprised a thread with basic knowledge got that many stars. Its like if I would create a thread about how the sun is the center of our solar system and people would think "thank you very much for sharing this valuable information!".

I find it slightly discomforting if not everybody has seen this before. The school system seems to not educate about even the basic stuff anymore. That worries me, because thats how people believe that a airliner can pulverize a building and make it fall into its own footprint at free fall speed without questioning the physics behind it. Without basic knowledge such as this, people are sitting ducks for disinformation.

So in summary, I think your thread was good info, but Im surprised and slightly worried about the attention it got. We all should be. What are the schools teaching these days? Perhaps its much worse than we think.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I also find it extremely strange that after several dozen scientific research papers have been posted in this forum which shows that fluctuations in the Sun's activity, fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field, and in general any extra activity from outside the Solar System all of them affect the climate, and affect earthquakes/seismic, as well as magmatic activity, but then again we get somebody coming up with a post claiming there is nothing unusual about earthquakes, and they are just caused by geophysical forces happening on the Earth.

Strange indeed, but then again that's what the OP is known for.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I wouldnt be so worried if it was only the op, but if the majority of people are oblivious to it, its a major cause for concern. Because the ignorant majority will be the ones preventing the real truth from coming forward. They will call it "conspiracy theories" when its really the truth.

It doesnt matter if the talking heads in the mass media are completely ignorant unless the majority of people is as well.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by OzWeatherman

Good thread, however something else to add to the mix are magmatic plumes from the earths interior.
For those who do not know, not all uplifts are created in subduction zones where the much denser oceanic plates subduct under the less dense continental plates creating uplift at these plate bouderies. But also magmatic plumes from the earths interior rise to the crust creating uplift and geo instability.
Examples of these plumes can be seen through the creation of various island chains in the pacific, where the plume breaks through the crust creating the new land, and as the oceanic plate moves, the plume stays fixed thus creating more land.
These plumes can also cause geo magnetic instability, with the charged minerals in the magma plume changing localised magnetic harmony...
Plumes from the mantle are therefore another reason for any increased geo instability.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join