It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is Nothing unusual about the Recent Earthquakes...here's why

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Ok, lately Ive been seeing all kinds of unusual and far out theories about the cause of the recent earthquakes in the Indonesian and Pacific regions of the earth. In actual fact, the earthquakes we have been seeing are nothing out of the ordinary. The are not created by HAARP, they are not caused by drought, or anything meteorological, and they are certainly not caused by underground nuclear devices.

The pacific ocean is surrounded on all sides by several tectonic plates. It is approximately 40,000km's in length and influences several continents, which include, Australasia, Asia, North American and South America. This area is known as "The Ring of Fire" (see image below). Movements of these tectonic plates and the movement of rock within smaller fault lines located in these zones.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b60290e5560a.jpg[/atsimg]

Before we move on, I will define the different types of movement these plates undergo.

1. Divergence- Two plates moving away from each other

2. Transformation- Two plates slide against each other

3. Subduction (or convergance)- One plate sliding underneath another plate (usually occurs when ocean plates slide under continental or land based plates). Volcanoes are and end result of subduction, as one plate is forced upward creating a peak, or chain of peaks.

4. There is a more complex event, where three plates border one another and cause a mixture of the 3 above principles

Each of the plates located within the ring of fire is undergoing at least one of these processes. The map below shows the direction in which each plate is moving. Its interesting to notice that at points of convergence, there are numerous volcanoes or mountain ranges, caused by millions of years of a plate being forced upwards.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c84aafee9f31.png[/atsimg]

The movements of these plates cause approximately 90% of he worlds earthquakes. So as you can see, earthquakes in these zones are not out of the ordinary, nor is the frequency in which they occur.

90% of the world's earthquakes and 81% of the world's largest earthquakes occur along the Ring of Fire.

This is followed by the following

The next most seismic region (5­6% of earthquakes and 17% of the world's largest earthquakes) is the Alpide belt which extends from Java to Sumatra through the Himalayas, the Mediterranean, and out into the Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is the third most prominent earthquake belt.

This map shows the density of earthquake events. Notice the densest areas border the ring of fire

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee11383dd5f7.png[/atsimg]

Again, the eathquakes and volcanic activity in the Indonesian area is not unusual. The plate movements in this area go through a process of subduction, where the Indian plate pushes up against the Burma and Sunda plates to the west. This boundary is the outer area of the ring of fire, and is extremely volatile, as massive subduction events often occur.

The boxing day Tsunami in 2004 was result of one of these major subduction movements. It has been proven that there was a movement of 20m over a length of 1600km on the Sunda plate.

More to come on this (prob tomorrow its late here), but until then what is everyones opinion of the above information?

References

en.wikipedia.org...
www.crystalinks.com...
www.crystalinks.com...
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

(mod edit, added a space in title)

[edit on 16/10/09 by DontTreadOnMe]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19 Oct 09 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well except for nuclear underground testing in the pacific....

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Well except for nuclear underground testing in the pacific....

Nuclear blasts are not allowed to be conducted anymore. In UN countries that is, and other particpants including China. North Korea, Pakistan and Inida are the only countries who havent fully signed on it yet

Are you familair with the nuclear test ban treaty?

en.wikipedia.org...

At the old met office I worked at, we used to monitor air samples daily for changes in radiocativity. They have acoustic stations across the earth to detect any underground nuclear explosions. Networks in Japan, China, Russia and South Korea all recorded North Koreas tests.

[edit on 16/10/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Nope, nope nope Oz- don't confuse us with the facts!

All these quakes have NEVER been seen before, Yellowstone's gonna blow any day now, Cumbre Vieja is going to drop into the sea causing an 1800 ft Mega Tsunami, and 2012 is going to kill the rest. Got it? KK, proceed!

Oops, I forgot- we don't need any of this. Niburu. Yep. ELE, ATS style.

/absurdity

Nice thread. Ok, I'll give up the flag and star seeing as you put some work into that.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Like this test in May this year....?

9; 3:05 PM TOKYO, May 25 -- North Korea exploded a nuclear device Monday morning, startling the world with its second underground test in three years

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

9; 3:05 PM TOKYO, May 25 -- North Korea exploded a nuclear device Monday morning, startling the world with its second underground test in three years

yeppers, like that one.
And the one that caused the Phuckit tsunami too.
Pakistan has 100 nukes to play with before AQ launches against us. Should be interesting.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by JJay55]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

yeppers, like that one.
And the one that caused the Phuckit tsunami too.
Pakistan has 100 nukes to play with before AQ launches against us. Should be interesting.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by JJay55]

I assume you mean Phuket Tsunami...

And that was the one that happened on 26th December 2004. It was not caused by a nuclear device. Like I mentioned, it was caused by a massive subduction over a large area.

Do you have a source for your sensational claim?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

LMFAO

I suppose if I had put that in the opening post I wouldve got more replies. Maybe the truth isnt exciting enough

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thankfully we get a sober mind.
Star and flag.
Its about time we get that here!!!
What do you think about the mount st helens thing people keep talking about??

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So what your saying is that smaller tremors are not a way to predict larger tremors in the future and we should ignore all tracking of earthquakes since its nothing new for the earth?

Just because every time I drive my car I know my engine will probably get hot doesn't mean I should ignore a high temp gauge or try and stick my hand on the exhaust.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Thankfully we get a sober mind.
Star and flag.
Its about time we get that here!!!
What do you think about the mount st helens thing people keep talking about??

Well mount saint helens is part of the Cascade Range, which was formed when the pacifc plate pushed up against the Noth American plate. It os an active region for earthquakes

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

So how plausable is the gloom and doom threads on this matter?
Is it gonna wreak havoc or is it just some bullpoop.
I have heard that that area is the epicentre of catastrophe...is that plausable or is it a pipedream?
Thanks for the info.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
So what your saying is that smaller tremors are not a way to predict larger tremors in the future and we should ignore all tracking of earthquakes since its nothing new for the earth?

Just because every time I drive my car I know my engine will probably get hot doesn't mean I should ignore a high temp gauge or try and stick my hand on the exhaust.

No, Im nt saying that at all

Im sayng that the recent frequency on earthquakes is nothing out of the ordinary. The entire pacific rim has earthquakes, and tremors ona daily basis.

Obsioulsy you didnt read my opening post corrcetly

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You keep on telling everyone that wizard of oz. Soon they will see that you are giving prognostications from behind the curtain using smoke and amplification to seem more important than you are.

Doom is coming and it will be a time of trouble so devastating that many will pray for death. Earthquakes figure in prominently in these end of days cataclysms that will signal the end of the history of modern man.

I make no claim as to my importance. I'm quoting that most revered ancient book that speaks of these times -->The Bible!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I love it, Oz, earthquakes for dummies!
Finally, someone has written something easy that can be understand by folks like me who are interested but not knowledgeable.

I follow IRIS, I get the email notices and have since 2004.
I got eQuakes after the Santa Cruz area quakes.
I even felt a small one in Michigan in the mid-80s.
(I can tell by the IRIS map that lots and lots of quakes have happened, but have no perspective on the big picture.)

So, did I miss something?
What causes quakes, say in Yellowstone, or the one that made the Mississippi flow backwards
scienceblogs.com...

BTW, thanks for enlightening us.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticantiseptic

What ARE you on about???

The man is simply explaining earthquakes, and I for one appreciate the education.

Why do people have to put conspiracy and religion into even the most basic of threads.

They existed before you were born and will exist long after you are dead.

Just take this thread as what it is, as previously explained as earthquakes for dummies.

Sheeesch.....

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

It is plausible. Its right on the edge of the pacific rim and is quite active at the moment. Seattle is a bit of a worry to. I hear that it lies ona quite a bit of swamp or soft soil.

If a major earthquake occured here, then that city would be in deep trouble.

Just another thing, the first map actually shows that there are many volcanoes in that area to. These would also be a source of some seismic activity

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
You keep on telling everyone that wizard of oz. Soon they will see that you are giving prognostications from behind the curtain using smoke and amplification to seem more important than you are.

Doom is coming and it will be a time of trouble so devastating that many will pray for death. Earthquakes figure in prominently in these end of days cataclysms that will signal the end of the history of modern man.

I make no claim as to my importance. I'm quoting that most revered ancient book that speaks of these times -->The Bible!

Ooooooookay

1. I have no idea what you are on about

2. This thread has nothing to do with he bible or religion, so please take that kind of stuff elsewhere

3. If you dont have anything to contribute to this thread, wether it be for or against...why bother posting?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
S&F

Thank you for the non-doom and gloom, concise information that makes sense (I hope) to the masses. I live in one of these areas and all is status quo...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join