It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why "Leader of the free world?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone else has ever considered this, but why is the President of America refered to as "The leader of the free world?"
We even hear that title here in Australia...
Surely the other 194 countries in the world should have some say in it!

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Dzlr40]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm not sure, maybe somebody decided that USA gives the most freedoms than any other country?

It seems a bit contradictory when you think about it.
Why would a free world need a leader? Leaders exist to say what we can and can't do, and if it were a free world, we can do whatever we want.

Yes, this is probably some patriotic nickname that stuck. I think it is also used for dramatic effect in movies and TV.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

Leaders are not the same as Dictators.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dzlr40
I don't know if anyone else has ever considered this, but why is the President of America refered to as "The leader of the free world?"

Because as they say, might is right.

We're the strongest nation militarily and the most free as well.

If you believe the propaganda.

If you look at reality, in Oregon they won't even let a man fly his American Flag.

Police beat people in the streets every day.

And our wars scar the world continually.

So it's machismo.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Other country's should have some say in it ??? Why ??

why is everyone so obsessed with america and what goes on over here.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I completely disagree with America being the "most free" I have been to a lot of countries in my life and the USA has to be one of the least free..

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Well the United States used to be the most free. I remember being told stories by some of our seniors. (which by the way are the most interesting people. I think everyone should listen to the testimony of a senior citizen. You may find they tell history better than any book ever could.) Namely one who has told me stories of where the dollar used to be. (gas at .19 cents a gallon.... Inflation......) What I've heard the USA was once a very nice place to be. I've heard stories of absolute freedom. (or as close as you ever need to get.) Stories of a different attitude and outlook, because back then the outlook was pretty good in comparison to today.

Basically, little by little we are loosing freedom. There are policies today that would have been unacceptable even 5 or 6 years ago let alone the 70's 80's or 90's. We are becoming more to the level of acceptance and sacrifice of freedom. We may even loose the right to have a firearm. We may loose the right to speak freely. Yes Obama is known as the leader of the free world but it is definitely less free than it used to be.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Well the United States used to be the most free. I remember being told stories by some of our seniors. (which by the way are the most interesting people. I think everyone should listen to the testimony of a senior citizen. You may find they tell history better than any book ever could.) Namely one who has told me stories of where the dollar used to be. (gas at .19 cents a gallon.... Inflation......) What I've heard the USA was once a very nice place to be. I've heard stories of absolute freedom. (or as close as you ever need to get.) Stories of a different attitude and outlook, because back then the outlook was pretty good in comparison to today.

Basically, little by little we are loosing freedom. There are policies today that would have been unacceptable even 5 or 6 years ago let alone the 70's 80's or 90's. We are becoming more to the level of acceptance and sacrifice of freedom. We may even loose the right to have a firearm. We may loose the right to speak freely. Yes Obama is known as the leader of the free world but it is definitely less free than it used to be.

The right to have a firearm must be a wonderful thing, we don't have that in Australia!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Whoever has the most nukes is the boss.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Because the USA was the leader of the non communist countries during the cold war.

Is that not obvious?

At the moment, the US is still, barely might I add, the leader of the countries that were not communist during the cold war.

Also, its a name that Americans call their president in order to get a feeling of elitism as opposed to the rest of the world.

Its not going to last too much longer.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dzlr40

i will answer your question with a question.

why does america have world cups/championships when only american teams/clubs participate.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I think you hit it on the head..

We used to be the biggest economically, not sure if we still are.

Used to be the strongest militarily, might still be that.

And like you so succinctly stated, we were the leader of the "Allies"

Semper

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by manxman2
why does america have world cups/championships when only american teams/clubs participate.

What difference does that make?

Doesn't every country do this?

How can the US hold a "World Cup" with only American teams? Can you give me an example?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
my point was they are so insular.

they are the world. a shinning beacon of democracy .. of freedoms .. and wealth .. while all around are poor repressed nations that look up to america for guidence and inspiration.

we all adore the leader of the free world as much as we adore american football.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by manxman2

Are you American or Sarcastic?

Emotionless internet & cultural difference makes it hard to determine at times.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
im manx .. im sarcastic by nature.

when youve been invaded as many times as we have it comes natural.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by manxman2

Ah, don't know how I missed that. My apologies

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dzlr40

Yeah, that's definitely one of my favorite rights. You can't have a firearm at all in Australia?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Agreed. That label came into being during the cold war when the United States was clearly the strongest militarily and economically of all the NATO allies. The label persists today because its still true, although the level of dominance is fading and may well not be true in another 20-30 years.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Other country's should have some say in it ??? Why ??

Classic Americentricism.

why is everyone so obsessed with america and what goes on over here.

I'm sitting here wondering why America is so obsessed with other countries. I mean, American military and American big corporations can't actually keep out of other countries.

We'll do you a deal, # off back to your own country and leave the rest of the world alone and we'll stop being "obsessed with america and what goes on over here".

Fair?

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Merriman Weir]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join