It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Mass Delusion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The 2012 Phenomenon is a mix of doomsday-prophecies or new-age-prophecies, depending on perspective. For me its nothing more than a mass-delusion. I say this not from the viewpoint of a Skeptic but from the viewpoint of a believer in spiritual realities...spiritual realities which the 2012-movement denigrates.

The 2012 movement was developed in the 1970s by Jose Arguelles. The authorized biography of Arguelles portrays a man who suffered phases of depression, hatred of society and was drugged out of his mind on psychedelic substances for most of his life. It was in drugged states that he had most of his "visions" on mayan calendars.

It was also supported by the late Terence McKenna, another promoter of the "psychedelic revolution".

David Icke too had Ayahuasca "visions" of 2012 and began promoting it.

It is also promoted by crowds of extremely narcissistic people claiming to be "star children" or "indigo children".

These people rant on about how special and enlightened the mayans were, when in fact...

The Maya practiced human sacrifice. In some Maya rituals people were killed by having their arms and legs held while a priest cut the person's chest open and tore out his heart as an offering. This is depicted on ancient objects such as pictorial texts, known as codices. It is believed that children were often offered as sacrificial victims because they were believed to be pure
Source

Any person of some metaphysical sophistication understands that time itself is in perpetual fluctuation, that what the Future is and is not changes with every breathe each human takes. Trying to pinpoint an exact date for a future event is a folly because time is flexible and human-made-dates are arbitrary.

Neither are Arguelles delusions actually based on the Mayan Calendar...not to mention the Buddhist Calender, Hindu Calendar, Jewish Calender or any other spiritual time-line.

You will not find a single 2012-follower that can explain how and where exactly the "Mayan Calendar" ends in 2012. Nor will you find ANY indication whatsoever of the following associated claims:

* The Hopi Calender makes no mention of 2012
* Nostradamus makes no mention of 2012
* The Book of Revelation makes no mention of 2012
* The Collision of the planet "Nibiru" with earth was originally predicted for the year 2003. Marketing-tricksters have only recently changed that to 2012 in order to match the mass-hysteria.

If these "hints" arent enough, consider the following:

- The 2012 movement only gained momentum after nothing spectacular happened in the year 2000. Neither did the world come to an end in other widely publicised doomsday and new-age dates: 1900, 1950, 1988, etc.

- There is no reason to dismiss all other calendars in the world which do not end 2012.

- According to ancient Hindu teachings concerning the "Kali Yuga" the "new age" will not happen on a specific date but be spread out over hundreds of years. Actually the industrial revolution and the Internet Revolution of the late 80s are already sufficient indicators of a "new age" having happened.

- The amount of cheap gimmicks and products sold to the gullible, such as survival packs, protection sprays, "ascension robes" star-child-make-up and other such nonsense are evidence of the type of dumbed-down crowd being catered to here.

Psychosis (from the Greek ψυχή "psyche", for mind or soul, and -ωσις "-osis", for abnormal condition), with adjective psychotic, literally means abnormal condition of the mind, and is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality".

People suffering from psychosis are said to be psychotic. People experiencing psychosis may report hallucinations or delusional beliefs, and may exhibit personality changes and thought disorder. This may be accompanied by unusual or bizarre behavior, as well as difficulty with social interaction and impairment in carrying out the daily life activities.

A wide variety of central nervous system diseases, from both external poisons and internal physiologic illness, can produce symptoms of psychosis.

I hereby promise that the world will not end in 2012...and if I was wrong, I´ll give you a million dollars.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What you did was basically like discrediting Christianity by proving that the God that some people that call themselves Christians believe in can't exist.

Don't know if you understand what I'm saying.
You are saying that the phenomena doesn't exist basing your ideas on the ideas of other people about the phenomena.
That doesn't really mean much, not for me at least.

The world ending? Thats just a ridiculous and absurd notion that should be understood as a metaphor.
A symbolic date for a historical change? More likely.

We have a good case here of "I don't want to believe" in my opinion.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I hereby promise that the world will not end in 2012...and if I was wrong, I´ll give you a million dollars.

I'll join you in that generous offering of $ 1 million if the world ends!

I do feel a bit sorry for people who are just waiting for this date. I know some people who are "weary" and looking forward to the "transformation" that will take place on that date. I can't imagine being them and waking up on Dec. 22.

I recently saw a show that talked about the calender. My guess is that the Mayans just didn't care about the year 2013 when they put the calender together. Just as we didn't care about anything after 1999 when we made all our forms and computerized date functions. Silly people!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

2012 Mass Delusion

I sure do wish you wouldn't tell everyone! I mean, damn! How often can we have a show like this in one lifetime? People are really getting into this thing... digging holes and burying themselves ahead of the arrival of the Great Destroyer, you just can't stir them like that even over a college football game!

Personally, I'm planning on tailgating 21 December 2012... ribs, beer and rooting for the end of the world!

So... shhhh! Okay?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I do feel a bit sorry for people who are just waiting for this date

There`s some amount of compassion I have for these people...this website alone features hundreds...because they are building their entire personal cosmology and lifestyle around something completelely artificial and empty.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Any person of some metaphysical sophistication understands that time itself is in perpetual fluctuation, that what the Future is and is not changes with every breathe each human takes.

According to ancient Hindu teachings concerning the "Kali Yuga" the "new age" will not happen on a specific date but be spread out over hundreds of years.

These two ideas are contradictory.
If time is in perpetual fluctuation what the ancients knew about time could be a knowledge specific for their age - the time phenomena could have different characteristics when they looked into it then we have now. If time indeed is so changeable and dependent on every human breath it is more then possible that it's being compressed or stretched or that the hundreds of years of thousands of years ago is indeed a couple of years or maybe even weeks of our current age.

How long would it take for a message to get from one side of the planet to the other a couple of thousands of years ago? Maybe a few months or even years? How long does it take today? A few seconds or minutes.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

I posted these two as two different (and more sensible) ways of viewing time than picking out one specific date as the 2012-believers do.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Don't make your selves ridiculous. Compassion? Who are you you to say that people's believes are artificial and empty?

And so what if they are? Compassion?

Gotta be kidding me.

Why don't you just let them be deluded? Why do you have to rub on their faces that they are deluded and helpless?

What a joke.

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

ill add 1 million, doomsday prophesies always come and go...lots of people thought all the nukes in the would would go off on y2k, yet NOTHING happened. theres always predictions of the end of the world, and its just not going to happen no matter how much hype and crack pot theories you hear

link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
We have a good case here of "I don't want to believe"

I believe plenty of things that are unproven. But not this thing. In the OP I say why.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I see.

But here is some bad news for you.
I'm a believer and I pick no specific dates.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Have it ever occurred to you that maybe your own interpretation of the phenomena is misleading? Thus disproving your own interpretation which is already erroneous means nothing and that it just makes you closed to new interpretations?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
To me, telling people: "You base your lives on hollow beliefs and are deluded. I pity you" is not a very spiritually advanced thing to do.

I agree that it's wrong to just sit around and wait for a specific date, but is that really what people are doing? That's not my impression.

I personally believe that we are on the verge of a great change and I believe that it is a positive one, though it might be turbulent.

I think there is evidence for this all around us, but for me it's an intuitive feeling more than anything

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Why don't you just let them be deluded?

Im not into passivity when I see people suffering.

Why dont you explain what you base your 2012-beliefs on rather than throwing around incoherencies.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Have it ever occurred to you that maybe your own interpretation of the phenomena is misleading?

What "phenomena" would that be?

You`re talking in generalities that have no bearing on the OP.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Who is suffering? The 2012 believers?

And you would relieve them of their suffering by telling them that they are delusional and that their lives are based on hollow beliefs?

That really makes no sense to me

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
To me, telling people: "You base your lives on hollow beliefs and are deluded. I pity you" is not a very spiritually advanced thing to do.

1) Compassion is something other than Pity

2) I disagree that being honest is not a spiritual thing to do.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
Who is suffering? The 2012 believers?

Gullibility is a form of suffering, yes.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Why don't you just let them be deluded?

Why dont you explain what you base your 2012-beliefs on rather than throwing around incoherencies.

Well, I'm sorry to tell you this.
But I doubt you are alleviating any suffering by saying that people are deluded. Maybe your alleviating or trying to alleviate your own suffering, but I'm not going into that.

My belief concerning 2012:

Somethings up with 2012. So many people talking about. So many people looking forward to it. So many people bashing it. So many emotions coming to surface just because of this idea that translates into numbers. Its almost like a "God" concept again coming forth. And concepts like those don't grab peoples attention because they are dumb. It grabs they're attention because its powerful. Your attention has been grabbed by it and as you stated, just in this website we have hundreds of people that had their attention grabbed by it also.

Its a very interesting social-cultural-psychological phenomena to start with. Even if it is just a "mass delusion". Damn, we ought to pay more attention to this. Why is it happening now? How and why is it coming into being? Why are so many people "falling into delusion"?

That's my anthropological approach.

Now my personal approach.
Like MrVertigo said, its intuitive.
I can feel the change, I can feel the turbulence becoming stronger each day.
I can see how things are getting exponentially crazy. I can see the bomb about to explode. I can hear the ticking. Its happening right now. It is changing. Change with it.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
DECEMBER 21 2012:

You turn on your television and no matter what channel it is the same face on every channel. The time is 11:11 and you feel a change in the air. You don't hear the face speak but you hear the ideas and thoughts in your head. You are mesmerized by this "man" and his alien "angels." You think to yourself. THE CHRIST!!!! But no my friends this is the Anti-Christ and his "Day of Declaration."

DECEMBER 21 2012: You aren't watching television or listening to radio and you hear a voice in your head telling you things you want to hear. You have no idea that the Anti-Christ is faking the Pentecost by pouring himself over everyone with his telepathy. You know he's not human because the fallen angels have landed and there is nothing you can do. You can't wake up. It's not a dream. Welcome to the Tribulation.

DECEMBER 21 2012: THE DAY NOT TO WATCH TELEVISION!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join