It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Make Work Mandatory or you go to jail!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Well I don't really like calling humans "resources" this is pretty much the reason why we are in the mess we are today.

But the work thing, I mean come on folks. and I am excluding children and obvious problems with people who cannot support themselves and actually require government help.

I am specifically talking about the too lazy to work.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Also, the real question is, are you okay with punishing children for the choices of their paretns? You are advocating letting the kids starve because mom and dad were lazy

Yes I am perfectly ok with it. Maybe if their kids start dropping dead from starvation maybe they willl get off their lazy asses and find a way to support them. The truth is even on Welfare a good portion of the kids don't get proper food, because their parents sell the food stamps for drugs or shinny rims.

Ahhh the American way at work.

Probably the most narcissistic, closed minded, arrogant point of view Ive ever heard, and frankly, someone that can honestly come from that standpoint isnt worth my time.

I'll just say this: The reason we are where we are as a country is not welfare, its not lazy citizens, its not mooches. It is the fact that we have neglected our children for 3 generations now, and each one is less and less equipped to take the reins when their turn comes.

So please, continue to try and come up with these silly, impossible, infantile, quick fix ideas of how to 'fix' this country, while advocating the exact thing that is f*&%$ng it up.

Well played

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Exactly my point. You get it. Why should we subsidize and REWARD LAZINESS? It is bad for society and bad for the individual. We are doing them a diservice by letting them sit around, get obese, and develop heart disease because they are too lazy to be productive.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I'll just say this: The reason we are where we are as a country is not welfare, its not lazy citizens, its not mooches. It is the fact that we have neglected our children for 3 generations now, and each one is less and less equipped to take the reins when their turn comes.

Well I don't neglect nor ignore my children. I spend almost every hour I am not working playing with them and teaching them lessons in life that will help them grow to be productive, well rounded people, who have a goo work ethic.

I guess I should get a bumper sticker that says:
DON'T BLAME ME I WHOOPED MY KIDS ASS AND TAUGHT THEM RIGHT FROM WRONG.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Obviously not. Your posting here aren't you?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

It's also a matter of education however. There are alot of people who are lazy AND dont' have the skills to support whatever family they have, including themselves.

If education were our primary concern in this country, or all countries, than the ammount of unemployed and socially assisted citizens would decline drastically.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Oh so I am not allowed a few minutes of freetime after working 20 hours in the last 2 days and using the rest of my time to spend time with my children, making sure they got fed, were safe, and well educated.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Well I don't neglect nor ignore my children. I spend almost every hour I am not working playing with them and teaching them lessons in life that will help them grow to be productive, well rounded people, who have a goo work ethic.

I guess I should get a bumper sticker that says:
DON'T BLAME ME I WHOOPED MY KIDS ASS AND TAUGHT THEM RIGHT FROM WRONG.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

I couldn't care less what you do with your kids. That's not the point. Most any schmuck takes care of his own kids. Its takes someone with compassion and half a brain to realize that the OTHER children out there are just as much your kids as the ones your wife crapped out.

Stop being so self -focused. It is counter productive, and, once again, is the reason we are where we are.

I'm sorry, but this is pathetic.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think you are referring to those who recieve help from the goverment commonly known as welfare. If you are getting goverment assistance, I think at a certian point work should be required even if it simply picking up trash in public parks and such. It should also consists of some kind of training so that you can get the skills to be employed gainfuly. After say, six months of recieving welfare, you must either perform some community based work, or enter a training program, otherwise your benifits end.

The big problem with this is that there is simply not enough jobs no matter how much training people recieve. This is a direct result of technological innovation. We no longer need the same amount of people to keep society up and running. There is now more people but less work for them. It has led to lower wages as there is a ever larger pool of people willing to take any job at any wage. As we get more and more efficient this probem will only get worse and worse.

What we need is a broad reallocation of how we think about wages and employment. We need a new standard of less hours for higher wages. Of course this will definitely result in inflation, as it will become more expensive to deliver goods and services. However there must be a point where this balances, for instance a 200% wage increase and a 100% price increase, accompanied by a 20% decrease in the work week. This may seem drastic but it is the price we must pay to set the wrongs right and to get the good people of this country back to work.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

We have had free education in this country for at least 50 years, so nobody has an excuse not to be educated.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

We have had free education in this country for at least 50 years, so nobody has an excuse not to be educated.

Oh man, please step out and experience the world...free education? No such thing.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I take from your answer that you are not from the United States where we have had free education for probably closer to 100 years.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Oh so I am not allowed a few minutes of freetime after working 20 hours in the last 2 days and using the rest of my time to spend time with my children, making sure they got fed, were safe, and well educated.

I really doubt that you "worked" 20 hours in the past 2 days when you spent ALL of yesterday afternoon and night on here arguing with me. Do I need to post the link to the thread?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I take from your answer that you are not from the United States where we have had free education for probably closer to 100 years.

I work in the american education system, acutally.

You work. You pay taxes. Taxes fund schools. Education is not free. You are just led to believe it is because you dont cut them a check.

Catch up.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Do you know what I do for a living? Is it not possible that I can be doing a type of work where I sometimes take breaks to think through a concept. So maybe I could be answering you but also be workign through a concept in my mind. It is commonly known as multi-tasking.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Free? Last time I checked a large portion of my property taxes went to the public school system. And my children attend private school. But I consider it a donation. Have to keep the daycare open. Read "Dumbing Us Down, The Hidden History Of Cumpulsory Schooling" by John Taylor Gatto. See what a public education gets you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You work. You pay taxes. Taxes fund schools. Education is not free. You are just led to believe it is because you dont cut them a check.

Catch up.

Exactly right. I work. I pay taxes to the school district that my house is in. Yet I have no kids to go to school. Free indeed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Wow it is scary that you are teaching children. Good thing I don't send my kids to public school I guess. Anyway, I know it is paid for by taxes, but what I mean by free is that any child regardless of their parents total lack of resources will get an education just by showing up and completing their assignments. Free--meaning no kid gets kicked out based on finances.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Sure thing Mr. 10 hours a day.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I am with you. I pay my property taxes and then have to pay for private school on top of that. Seems a bit unfair and I think school vouchers would be a great idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join