It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to england?help?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Dear ats friends, last time i was asking about europe and you helped me a lot. but this time i really need some of you from england to tell me how are things about people comming from bulgaria to work in england.
we discuss this with my family and it seems the two easyest ways are to catch a tourist trip couse its cheaper that way to stay 3-5 days in payed hotel for tourists then to come and rent a place. or i can use a agency to ship me here and work for them,but i dont like the idea.
so i need info,how are the immigration agencys in england? if i come can they help me find a job or have a free sleep couple a nights?
i guess i should stay away from london? so im guessing moving to some little towns etc?
is there some brother there that can show me around or something?
im talking about only showing,info etc, i dont want to sleep,take money or be a mooch,ill sleep in a park if i have to,or afcourse after my "tourist trip" is over ill catch the buss.the thing i need to know are,what is the nice place for me,to find work and a cheap place that dosnt have rats.is there someone that can show me around how things work in the city? taxes and such.
im thinking to moving to england couse english is the only language i know...so easyest target,i hope there are cityes that have job openings and such? please brothers any usefull info i need

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
hmmm, didn't you post this in bts before?
weren't you moving to canada to be near relatives?
you seem very hell bent on getting out of where you are, which is fine..and doing research is great.
but just because a place seems great doesn't mean it will be great for you.
what do you want to do in life?
pick where you want to live based on that.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
i was planning for canada,but my cousins didnt help much and it turned too expensive and unsure,plus the job openings arent so easy as i heard.
so its much easyer and CHEAPER in europe. and now im concetrating on info on england.
as for me,people here are rude bastards,i want a nice life with polite and inteligent people,a beautifull place with culture and adventure (but adventure comes from luck mostly) as far as i know place like nedelrands,norway are ideal but im sure england must be better then here too,apart from the footbal hooligans and the weekend drunken people.
but mainly i want a nice polite community and a nice job.
i have a bartender/waiter license,i worked as a security guard on 3 jobs,and i can do many stuff,like a chameleon XD my speciality is computer maintanance,but even if i work to clean the streets for money,ill still be happy then to live with this rude sour loosers here every day,theyr all so jealous,if they learn that u want out,they try to make u miserable,and if ur in another country allready,and u meet other bulgarians,they probably try to BACKSTAB YOU

so you know got any info ):?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

There are lots of foreign people working in the Royal Mail warehouses, if you can take a night shift you can earn £8.80 an hour, which is quite good.
Its 10pm-6am

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
GREAT! THX! thats stuff i need man,but still its a concenr how much money will i need and where willi sleep for starters,are the immigration agency gonna let me sleep for free?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
and dont u guis forget XD im an european citizen so im not a illegal or anything,im just a person from other country

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

What area are you moving too first and i will dig around.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Oh and the UK border agency is getting tough, so make sure you have all documents, are you moving to England permanently or for a while?
They will ask you why you are moving here, do you have family here, are oyu here to study, they ask that kind of thing.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Can you please explain why you want to leave your country to go to England?

Are things so bad in your country?

I really want to know how things are in your country.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Im not from England, but I have been ALL over england bc I have a best friend there, and I have heard so much about the English System...etc

There are a few benefits to moving to England
And a few non-benefits
Lets discuss those first

1/3 of all of England are immigrants. Alot of Indian, Persian, etc... so you have that working against you- as far as people giving you a break because your from another country. Local Englishmen arent as accepting as either. I am not sure how this would help you or hurt you in trying to find employment.

I personally love London, there is so much to do there, so many jobs- I recommend you try either that--- or Manchester. The smaller little villages will be tight knit communities and you may be discriminated against.

As for Unemployment- well I dont know about immigrants, but I know that English citizens have the highest paying unemployment benefits that last a lifetime. My friend has been using the system for the past 15 years-- its really easy to use the system there. Plus free healthcare!

I dont know how you plan to work in England without having first a Work Visa. I think you need to research that first. Then, begin applying to places in London (ie Building Manager, Waitstaff at hotels) etc... Infact it wouldnt hurt if you applied for that in a Marriott in your country and then transfered to London. I used to work for Marriott and they are very accepting and encouraging of transfers. I think you will find it easy to get work in the Hospitality Industry. If you want to work in a small pub- again you will having to prove that your skills are better than your origin-- or you will have trouble keeping a job.

Best of luck- take your time with this transition.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
They will not ask you why you're coming to the UK nor anything else of that nature. It's none of their business. You are entitled to move around the EEA area freely.

You can move and live freely in any European Union (EU) member state as a European Economic Area (EEA) national. You do not need permission under our immigration rules to enter or remain to live in the United Kingdom. If you want to work in the United Kingdom you will need to apply for an accession worker card, unless you are exempt (see below) and your employer may have to apply for a work permit. For information on how to apply for an accession worker card and a work permit you should see the Applying section .

See this link and have look at all the information so you know what to expect: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk...

I left my country a quarter century next April. I haven't been back in 14 years now, 15 next summer. No plans to go back either. I'm from the US.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I was not asking out of prying into her business.

I was asking because she may be better off not going to England.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Him, what made you say her?
Thought i would just post that.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
As said, make sure you have all the paperwork and permissions you need.
I'm pretty sure it isn't as easy as just jumping on a plane and expecting to be welcomed with open arms just because you're an EU citizen.

There are compromises between a major city and sleepy village.

If you don't want trouble, I'd stay away from London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool. They may be major urban areas, but they also have their fair share of gangs, homelessness, crime... and rats. There are plenty of people there to take major advantage of you.

In opposition to that, the villages would be nearly impossible to find work unless you plan on farming and living a life of contemplation and solitude for a while. With a little research and communication via the net you could find a place willing to offer you bed and food in return for labour.
But, there's not a lot of security in that, and it will be seasonal.

Personally, if I were coming here from another country the first places I'd look would be Oxford and Cambridge. But that's based on the knowledge of my region alone. I've been to Manchester, London, Birmingham several times (and plenty of other places also) and none of them are places I'd choose to live as an immigrant to the UK.

Both Oxford and Cambridge are university Cities. Therefore, the intelligence level is higher than average, the population is younger, more prospects of finding bar work, the people are generally nicer.
Also, when did anyone last hear of any major incidents happening in either city?

Housing and amenities are directed at students, meaning it's more affordable than major cities.
Entertainment is in abundance with bars and pubs hosting live bands every night of the week. Of course this means there's more chance of you finding work.
Advice services and assistance is also abundant because of the youth there seeking it.
Transport is easy by coach, you can get to several other cities within a couple of hours. Including London.

The history of both will show you more of what England is about. The architecture in both cities is amazing.

Seriously, for a young man coming to the UK, Oxford or Cambridge are the best bets.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Hello,
I am a Romanian living in the UK. To be onest, i plan to turn back to Romania. You really choose the wrong moment to come to UK as the job market is going VERY bad at the moment. To this , you have to add the fact that you are not allowed to take employment as the rest of the EU citisens do (Romanians, Bulgarians cannot freely take employment in the UK)

However, you could be lucky if you apply for the special jobs available for Bulgarians or Romanians - jobs in hotels (you said you are experienced in that ) or agriculture.

For your skills I would recomand you to go to the Trorbay area (South Devon) , that is one of the main hubs where you could get a hospitality job.

Look in advance for a job, ask your potential employer to make the paperwork for you. Hotel jobs are paid quite bad, below average jobs however you coud get better by gaining from tips . Some hotels would even provide you with a room where to live , it depends how much they need you.

However, having in mind that the summer is over, i guess it will be little difficult to get a job even if you would have all the rights to work here.

As an alternative, as a Bulgarian citisen you are allowed to start your own business with no restrictions. Procedures are very easy , all you need is skills so you can find your clients. I talk about self-employment, you have no limit but yourself in this.

Some useful liks for you:
www.hoteljobs.co.uk...
www.hcareers.co.uk...
www.hotel-jobs.co.uk/

for the security jobs , you would normaly need to obtain clearance before you get in .

Wish you goo dluck, however if I was you I would wait for another 6 months so I am sure i do not fail with my relocation!

A Romanian friend

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Romanian]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi there,

I was born in England, raised in the U.S.A from age 9-21. I am now 26 and living back in England so I have experience of moving around. I would suggest to you my friend, that you look to move to a smaller area outside of the big cities. I say this because there is less competition for jobs, and the housing will be a heck of a lot cheaper for you!

I live in an area near a town called Selby, which is quite a nice place. I am 6 miles from my birthplace of Pontefract, and there are a lot of polish, kosovans, croations here that will be able to help you out. We have a lot of immigrants all over England so I'm sure it will work out for you.

What you should do is find a decent area, look at the rental market to establish the cost of rent, etc and compare that to wages.

For example, around here you can get a decent place to live for anywhere between 350-£500/month. My buddy just got a nice two bed apartment for £350/month. Add this to bills, lets say £35/mo for electricity and £35/mo for gas. You can get free internet with the purchase of a phone line over here for around £15/mo. I would give a rough estimate that you would need between £500-800 a month to live comfortably. You would also need at least £1200 to get a bed, sofa, T.V., etc.

This is just something to consider. If you can find a job that will pay this then you are on your way!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

As for Unemployment- well I dont know about immigrants, but I know that English citizens have the highest paying unemployment benefits that last a lifetime. My friend has been using the system for the past 15 years-- its really easy to use the system there. Plus free healthcare!

Wonderful. We have a non British person advising another non British person that the unemployment benefits are great in Britain. Simply wonderful.
Actually, they are rubbish for the actual British who pay for them but have trouble claiming them for themselves, and unless there are kids involved the benefits are not enough to live on at all. Most have a choice of either heating or eating, unless they are cheating the system. Although, yes, I expect if you are an immigrant you will get all the help in the world.
And to 'stillalive'...people are people the world over. I would not expect them to be any different in England. And as the economy is bad, there are not many jobs.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
boy do i have to write a lot now (:
allight first im a guy,so we can clear that xD
for bulgaria, well think why all people think were the "closet" of europe,theyr right,we have no manners,we have no culture,were a mafia country, and we screw our fellow brothers. its like the same crysis,but even if u find a job u still cant feed your self. thats why even if there is crysis in other european countryes i preffer going there,atleast if i find a job there i would "live"
i was just driving with my car now going into an "up" street,and some gypsie driver instead of going a little back and letting me pass,he just stood there with his car making me go 2 meters back on a downs treet into the street,im usualy a good guy,and im not a racist but sCREW him,he deserves me to beat him up!
im too emo i just cant take any more of this cr*p here,and its not all the same in every country,we bulgarians are idiots,ever wonder why im the only bulgarian on this forum? if i find another bulgarian member i wont even talk to him,couse he will probably stab me in the back and give me bad advice on escaping from here.

here its so cr*ppy that the stupid employers take the uglyest people without claliication but me,being polite,drivers license,computer skill,english....i stay without a job.

as or england well i assure u there is no work visa or questions,im still a EU citizen,for the cities,maybe northhapton,and as u sayd cambidge,oxford,these would be the nice cities if u guis say so (:
i still need to start a job to collect a little more money,then with me and my friend,i guess were off to england..or if its so bad netherlands,norway
but im talking about after xmas,not now

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
cool to hear from a romanian brother,i heard u guis are all over the world,strange that it seems your country is nice enough, i might be wrong.
but well short story, i just want to see the world,and im sick from the idiotizm and backstabbing here,ill get a job even if i have to bite with teeth,and after the xmas holidays its bye bye sh*tty country,welcome new country...forever...not for some time..but forever,,even relocating my parents after time tooo

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
1/3 of all of England are immigrants. Alot of Indian, Persian, etc... so you have that working against you- as far as people giving you a break because your from another country.

1/3rd? I know they opened the flood gates, but it isn't that bad! Bit of an exaggeration there.

Local Englishmen arent as accepting as either. I am not sure how this would help you or hurt you in trying to find employment.

Crock! We're as accepting as they come, provided you speak English and don't sponge off the State. It's those looking to change our country into Shaggedmonkeystan that we're not fond of

I personally love London, there is so much to do there, so many jobs- I recommend you try either that--- or Manchester. The smaller little villages will be tight knit communities and you may be discriminated against.

Again, utter rubbish, spoken like a true Londoner, no kowledge of anywhere outside the M25. The farming communities and small villages rely on immigrants for their labour! You'll find they're very accepting, but work is seasonal.

Oh, nice one. Recommend moving to England to sponge off the State, just like your waste of space friend. Like we haven't got enough cretins of our own having taxpayers like me pay for them, you want foreign ones in too!

I dont know how you plan to work in England without having first a Work Visa. I think you need to research that first. Then, begin applying to places in London (ie Building Manager, Waitstaff at hotels) etc... Infact it wouldnt hurt if you applied for that in a Marriott in your country and then transfered to London. I used to work for Marriott and they are very accepting and encouraging of transfers. I think you will find it easy to get work in the Hospitality Industry. If you want to work in a small pub- again you will having to prove that your skills are better than your origin-- or you will have trouble keeping a job.

As an EU citizen, he/she does not need a Visa.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join