It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post: Black only event calls protesters racist

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

First, I believe that the racial tensions you are describing are a lot bigger in your head than in reality.

That may be, but there are people who are trying to stoke the racial fires . And they seem to be all left-leaning.

Second, if Obama did mention "racial tensions" it would be presidential suicide.

And only a dummy would advise him to use those words.

'Healing' 'one nation', etc were more of what I was thinking of.

Will there always be someone in this country that is racist? Yup. Do I think the majoity of Americans (keeping in mind elections are run by the majority) are racist? Hell no!

I'm not sure what 'running elections' has to do with my question, but..whatever.

What do you really think? White people were not racist on election day, but suddenly have had an epiphany and are racist? Or do you think that the white people that voted for Obama only did so to show they are not racist? C'mon.

I have no idea what that means.??

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by someneph

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by EMPIRE

I'm sure this question sounds daft: Would you explain to me exactly what white privlege is?

The ability to be oneself without being looked at in a negative light. Its a viscious cycle. Blacks are never FULLY accepted into the white community (no matter what anyone says). Therefore seek acceptance among blacks. The image of blacks has been molded by the media for hundreds of years as being cool, tough, musically and physically talented, and dumb. If you seek to go outside of your back box, you are ridiculed by blacks, and never fully accepted by whites. Whites on the other hand, have the freedom to think for themselves and be themselves without necessarily being looked at strange. Hope I put that in a way thats easy to understand.

I personally believe that is a copout... the white privilege comment.
I am a pasty white redheaded woman in the deep south. I am judged for being who I am genetically as well as for being a bigmouth by races of all colors all the time. The difference between you and me... I just don't care. I was raised to be as courteous as possible and give as much respect as I am given. If you do not give it ... you don't get it. It is a privilege. I don't care about a person's color. You show me WHO you are not WHAT you are. I don't care if you are rich or poor as long as you get a J-O-B and take care of YOUR business so I DON'T HAVE TO. You have the right to tell them to kiss off anytime. If YOU choose not to that is your PRIVILEGE. That does not preclude the color of your skin.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Don't blacks care about the same issues as whites?

This might be a real problem if the PTB have divided us
down the lines of color to the point where whites and blacks
have oppposing political viewpoints.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

Hmmm..

Where has everybody been for the past 4 or 5 decades?

Isn't anybody aware of the fact that the left has spent nearly half a century catering to the special interest, women and minorities? Is it a new thing that the right has taken conservative white middle class to the other side of the room?

Is this a new thing to people?

Is it not common knowledge that both sides of the political arena and the American media have have spent billions on a concerted effort to split the US citizenry down the middle and work very hard to cultivate hatred between them?

Come on guys. This isn't front page news. The media and politicians WANT US TO HATE EACH OTHER.

Now these same scumbags that have worked so hard to do this are lamenting the fact that blacks and whites are not on the same sheet of music?

Come on.

If we didn't have such a polarized society then we'd have gotten together years ago and fired every politician in the damned country.

How are we supposed to actually agree when we are intentionally placed at odds by the government and they guarantee that the things we do need and want directly conflict with each other?

[edit on 073030p://f46Tuesday by badgerprints]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Oh come on, white people have never bullied by other races.

We're just too sensitive. If you're white in a predominantly white country, then you have not seen racism.

[edit on 9/14/2009 by die_another_day]

I would assume that is sarcasm... since otherwise, you have never lived in a predominantly black town being a very pale redhead IN THE USA. I have and it's a pain in the *ss. The blatant racism and hatred to a white person permeates the atmosphere in conversations and locations., etc.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
@mhinsey, you should educate yourself on the topic before you make such dramatic posts. You're speaking from your experiences, but have you witnessed these things outside of your comfort zone?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
@mhinsey, you should educate yourself on the topic before you make such dramatic posts. You're speaking from your experiences, but have you witnessed these things outside of your comfort zone?

Comfort zone? If you have ever been talking to a black guy about a paper due in class and have a black female step in front of you within an inch of you and start talking to him with her back to you... there is no comfort zone - on a daily basis....
What is YOUR COMFORT ZONE?

Mine is multiple states and cities: Dallas, Nashville AND Montgomery, AL... for starters, how about you?

I attended a black college in Montgomery, AL... have you?

I am educated... however, just as YOU post your OPINION... so do I.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by mhinsey]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
The sad truth is that if the majority of white people don't see or experience the racism that black folks do, then they won't acknowledge it's a problem.

That's a load of crap. All a white guy has to do is walk through an "all black" neighborhood. Racism? Hell, more like seething intense hatred. It's alot easier for a black man to walk through a white neighborhood, than it is for a white man to walk through a hood. If it wasn't than blacks wouldn't move into white areas. Rarely, does it ever happen the other way around. If white folk thought that blacks were friendly, loving, non-racist people then please explain "white flight" to me. There is a reason the white man leaves the area. He's seen what happens, and he wants no part of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Comfort zone?...there is no comfort zone - on a daily basis....

If he was seeking help, you should have referred him to the teacher, the teacher’s assistant or the syllabus. If you were seeking help, you should have consulted your syllabus, sought clarification from the teacher or consulted the assistant. In regards to her behavior, I was not there and have no way to validate your claim. Judging from the way you’re responding, I’d say you probably did something to deserve the response she gave you. However, if it was unjustified you should have said something to her.

What is YOUR COMFORT ZONE? Mine is multiple states and cities: Dallas, Nashville AND Montgomery, AL... for starters, how about you?

My comfort zone is limited to three continents, five countries and 25 states. Maybe I’ll post some pictures if I feel you’ll learn something from them. BTW, have you ever been to Idaho? Boise, Nampa?

I attended a black college in Montgomery, AL... have you?

That is great. I graduated with highest honors from a very influential school in CA. Maybe I’ll post the “papers” that give insight to the alphabet soup that follows my name. Hmmmm…maybe not…but maybe I will if I feel you’ll learn from the experience.

I am educated... however, just as YOU post your OPINION... so do I.

We have people on this board claiming to be all sorts of things, from time travelers, to being alien offspring. Your claim of being educated is of little to no concern, and aside from reading your posts, there is nothing to go on to validate your claim. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, however warped and misinformed it may be, but you should do yourself a favor and follow the advice given.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Comfort zone? If you have ever been talking to a black guy about a paper due in class and have a black female step in front of you within an inch of you and start talking to him with her back to you... there is no comfort zone - on a daily basis....

..and if you would have said 'Excuse me..', no doubt she would have grabbed you by the hair and the fight would have been on.

We've seen it too many times. Some of it is due to female jealousy and turf wars, but there is without a doubt some animosity that rears up when a white woman talks to a black man in such a setting.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, however warped and misinformed it may be, but you should do yourself a favor and follow the advice given.

A sad commentary on the state of American education. Refinery and manners are left out of the lessons and replaced with cynicism and snobbery.. And all the alphabet soup in the world won't cure it.:shk:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

No, you don't have a clue what it means to be white. Seriously, you are lying to yourself

Because i'm not white i have no idea of what is it's like to be white. I'mma let that one go, your not getting the point.

Sorry, but whites are the only people who have succeeded in throwing off the yoke of the PTB

Once again, your wrong there. Look up some of the numerous chinese
rebellions and read what happened TPTB in that area. Why not look up the Haitian revolution. It seems to me you think only white folks are the ones that rise up against their oppressors, which is so wrong.

The Egyptians worshiped their leaders like gods, in Germany, when Mad King Ludwig spent too much money building fancy castles, the people broke into his castle, and hung him. That is the difference.

All i can say is wow! Check out my King Louis 3..i think it's the 3rd. That king in Europe that spent all that cake to deck out his crib, darn i forgot his name. You need to reup on your western civ chief and see how those royalites where treated.

The same is also true that whites are the only people who, while still in a position of complete control, have willfully chosen to end slavery.

They were the ones that setup the institution of American slavery so that doesn't make sense at all.

Also, as school kids we are raised up celebrating other cultures, so why are you upset that in college they have parties that celebrate being Black or Mexican.

They weren't celebrating anything they were mocking. If you can't see the distinction then i don't know what to say to you chief.

Kickass dialogue we got goin though!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rocknroll

What? Of course you are. A hispanice or chinese person will get the same vibes, it all depends on where you are.

It's alot easier for a black man to walk through a white neighborhood, than it is for a white man to walk through a hood.

What since when? I'm going to leave that one alone, and save my time.

If white folk thought that blacks were friendly, loving, non-racist people then please explain "white flight" to me.

I would, but i already know that you won't accept what i say so continue in your bliss.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Come on guys. This isn't front page news. The media and politicians WANT US TO HATE EACH OTHER.

Well they are pandering for votes, yes.

And in the meantime setting a dangerous stage.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

You shouldn't be too hard on mhinsey. Yes, she may be young with limited experience, but you shouldn't make her out to be the bad guy. She'll soon learn manners, and her jaded outlook will one day change.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I remember standing, staring, wide-eyed in dis-belief, at a huge billboard advertisement in Glasgow, Scotland around the late 80's or early 90's.
The ad was for a dark rum, and showed basic "cartoon like" images of black people, smiling, drinking and dancing on a sun-kissed caribbean style beach.
The Ad's slogan was "White It Isn't" (presumeably in reference to the top-selling rum in this country, which was (and is) Bacardi white rum).

I must admit, I couldn't help but wonder, if Bacardi would have been allowed to place a similar billboard ad, promoting their white rum, showing exclusively white people, dancing, smiling, and drinking, with the slogan "Black It Isn't"?

I have been desperately trying to locate an image of this ad online, with no success so far. If anyone can locate it, I'd be grateful.

peace

G

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

You may have luck with the Jim Crow museum.

www.ferris.edu...

I'm searching google for the ad but I don't see anything.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

You shouldn't be too hard on mhinsey. Yes, she may be young with limited experience, but you shouldn't make her out to be the bad guy. She'll soon learn manners, and her jaded outlook will one day change.

I wasn't being hard on her; I was commiserating with her. She is a great example of common sense trumping a string of academic degrees. And her manners are testimony to her genteel upbringing.

Nice try, though.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Sure you were, pal. Common sense says to talk to the teacher, the T.A. or consult those stapled sheets of paper handed out at the begining of class. It also says to put people in their place with tact and grace. You'll figure it out one day, champ. All it takes is reading between the lines.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

I just love how O is embraced by the black community when my half black and half white children, now adults, are always called "white" by their black peers. Not black enough for most blacks and certainly not white enough for whites. But the POTUS, now he is all black man...please

I got to light a cigarette for this one, because there is something quite a few people on this forum don't understand, so imma break it down.

First off, Imaginary is a powerful, powerful weapon.

Black folks have been infighting about their own complexion anyway, so your children will run into that kind of thinking regardless, especially among their peers, their story will be the same as every other person with their heritage.

If you was to compare a composite of Obama against the million of other black men in this country, he would look the same..a black guy albeit a light skinned black guy..but a black guy. He married a black woman and his kids are black, oops i mean 3/4 black and 1/4 white, sense in this case it matters...they are black kids. Now we have a mixed guy that looks black, with a black wife..with black kids. Hell yea we embrace him. To the black community, that is "us" in the presidency. Jesse and Oprah weren't crying for nothin!

Now let's take the case of Tiger woods. Do you know how strongly embraced he is in the black community? If you don't know the answer then you have some learning to do

There ARE those of us in the black community, a surprisingly large percentage that don't agree with what he's doing, but we don't get any press by the MSM. You gotta read or hear about us on the net. Because every black dude i've seen so far in the MSM, except for Roland Martin are to busy kissin his behind.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join