It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man could get 5 years for wearing handcuff keys

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ayana
Dear me!
The world has truely gone mad.

Poor guy, as if his life isn't bad enough.

I would have loved to have been a fly on that wall when they told the guy what they were charging him with and why.

I bet his cellmates feel for him!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The amazing thing about this story is the illegal controlled substance he had with him bought illegally carries almost no penalty.

Handcuff keys sold over the counter in novelty shops, magic shops, military and survival stores has a much greater penalty?

That is truly insane.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It might be a felony to conceal a handcuff key, but as long as you do it right it should be easy to get away with it.

The next step is to make it illegal to wear thicker clothing than a taser can penetrate...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Hopefully this homeless man will find his public defender up to the task of sparing him the penalties of carrying concealed handcuff keys on a necklace as a charm tucked underneath his shirt.

As a charm?

Who are you trying to kid?

It was not worn for a charm just like the man who wore it last time and killed two officers wasn't wearing it as a charm. I am not saying he deserves 5 years, nor that the law is just and right.

But I really and truly don't buy that he had it as a charm. I think he had every intention of using them.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

The next step is to make it illegal to wear thicker clothing than a taser can penetrate...

Wouldn't that be "obstructing justice?"

I posted in a thread a while back a game we can play! Pick any of your normal daily activities, and I will find a law that it breaks and call you a criminal!! It is a pretty easy game; it has to be for our moron prosecutors to be so good at it!!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Hopefully this homeless man will find his public defender up to the task of sparing him the penalties of carrying concealed handcuff keys on a necklace as a charm tucked underneath his shirt.

As a charm?

Who are you trying to kid?

It was not worn for a charm just like the man who wore it last time and killed two officers wasn't wearing it as a charm. I am not saying he deserves 5 years, nor that the law is just and right.

But I really and truly don't buy that he had it as a charm. I think he had every intention of using them.

But what did he have every intention of using them for is the question.

I have handcuff keys for a wide array of bondage devices that I legally purchased and legally own. So do many other people who use them for erotic and entertainment purposes.

This thought police, police state where people are guilty before having even committed a real crime is simply far more frightening than the downside of an occassional criminal causing mayhem.

Law Enforcement officers know the risks they are taking and get paid to take them. Yes tragically three law enforcement officers died once upon a time because a clever criminal had handcuff keys for the purpose of escape.

It could be argued that clever cops doing their jobs wouldn't have been so fooled.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
When I got arrested for some BS clerical error 2 years ago, I had handcuffs and keys on my car keys. I STILL have one one in my center console. This is garbage. I am REALLY getting tired of cops making up crap to arrest people. This is starting to irratate me. There are more than enough DB's out there to properly arrest. You don't need to strecth the truth.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I always carry different sets of handcuff keys too but that's not because I'm planning on escaping from arrest but because I'm a "sexual deviant" and have spares on me at all times if a key to some Bondage Gear gets lost in the heat of the moment.

Does that mean the DOM/sub & BDSM Community of Florida is violating this State Statute? Sounds like some law makers in Florida won't be getting their weekly flogging any more until they change the law!

But then again, there are a lot of stupid laws in Florida still on the books:

Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

It is illegal to skateboard without a license.

When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

You may not fart in a public place after 6 P.M. on Thursdays.

It is considered an offense to shower naked.

You are not allowed to break more than three dishes per day, or chip the edges of more than four cups and/or saucers.

Oral sex is illegal.

You may not kiss your wife's breasts.

Penalty for horse theft is death by hanging.

One may not commit any "unnatural acts" with another person.

Unmarried couples may not commit "lewd acts" and live together in the same residence.

Corrupting the public morals is defined as a nuisance, and is declared a misdemeanor offense.

Doors of all public buildings must open outwards.

And I thought Louisiana and their Napoleonic Law in making Molesting a Cheeseburger and Leaning With the Intent to Fall felonies was outrageous!

Remind me never to vacation in Florida!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

BDSM and the law is a confusing subject that practitioners of the Alternative Lifestyle are well served to study.

There are a lot of laws on the books that make even consensual Sadomasochist and Dominant submissive relationships problematic from a legal standpoint.

For the most part raids on BDSM establishments in Florida focus on nights when prominent people in politics, teaching or law enforcement are at the clubs to make morality clause cases.

All it takes is one jilted, unstable, or upset participant to call the police and you might find yourself being arrested for kidnapping and assault and battery and possibly rape with a lot of explaining to do.

Generally they will not prosecute though people within the lifestyle that can prove a consensual affair gone awry as long as you aren't someone of notariety and stature.

Playing does come with risks though. Do a Google on BDSM and the Law to find out more this subject.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wtf? You can buy handcuffs from pretty much anywhere now days; Now who's to say they don't come with keys? So if I were to go buy some handcuffs from Wal-Mart I could be arrested for possession of handcuff keys?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by h1satsu
Wtf? You can buy handcuffs from pretty much anywhere now days; Now who's to say they don't come with keys? So if I were to go buy some handcuffs from Wal-Mart I could be arrested for possession of handcuff keys?

Yes here in Florida the law says it is against the law to conceal a set of handcuff keys anywhere on your person. Whether they be in your pocket on a keychain, on a necklace about your neck, or tucked away someplace even more discrete it's against the law!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Probably his long criminal record, or that he was harassing women. They finally got something on him that can put him away, and make the community safer. Good job.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

FYI you can't buy real handcuffs from Wal-Mart...But even when I went to by a lock-key for mine when I was hired, they didn't ask for ID or anything else. I had to show them my ID and license to make sure they wouldn't get in trouble.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by h1satsu

If you have a long criminal record, and are caught committing other crimes, and happen to have the keys on you, then yes, I imagine you may be charged. Regular person on the street, who is abiding by the law, who happens to have hand-cuff keys on him will never be charged.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Probably his long criminal record, or that he was harassing women. They finally got something on him that can put him away, and make the community safer. Good job.

There is no evidence that he has a long criminal record, or that he was harassing women, he was arrested for possession of a small amount of marijuana and being a vacrant, the handcuff keys were around a necklace tucked underneath his shirt.

To take 5 years of a persons life for something so non consequential is criminal in itself, I could not possibly condone or advocate that!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have to agree the sentence is assanine.
second line

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why would you be able to go to prison for having a handcuff key? What if he had a bad BDSM experience and was left handcuffed to a bed or something?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ok so, excluding the vanishingly unlikely possibility that this poor man's lawyer will be allowed to successfully challenge the legality of this law, I'd like to share some info that will allow you to circumvent it. In essence, this law is the same as that which makes it illegal to circumvent the copy protection software of DVDs. It's a catch all that in effect says "we're in control; any attempt to avoid our control is a crime".
Still, any such law can only be enforced sporadically, as it criminalises many ordinary behaviours, as replies here demonstrate.
The answer then must be in disguise. Carrying handcuffs & keys could still be seen as evidence of intent to commit crime, in a prejudiced court, but how about an innocuous means of escaping from cuffs?
The ratchet mechanism that cuffs employ only works because of the spring loaded lever that locks against the teeth of the folding half of the bracelet. A slim object introduced between those mechanical parts will allow them to be opened. From my own experience, the tapered end of a plastic cable-tie can be shoved into the lock on top of the teeth; you have to squeeze the cuffs, as if to close them tighter, to be able to push the plastic right in. Then you can just pull them apart, as the lever cannot engage the teeth.
Lets see them make carrying cable-ties illegal!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Are we going back in time? This is so stupid its untrue, what the hell are these cops doing? Carrying a handcuff key!?!?! WTF if Houdini was around today and got caught with a handcuff key would he face 5 years in prison... NO!

This is just abuse of the homeless, typical... Cant say i expected anything different, just this is a little crazy.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

It's more than a little crazy it's a lot crazy friend.

It's the return of the good old fashioned police state, shoot first and asks questions later.

It's as regressive as regressive can be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join