It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short thread- How I faced off against JWs and basically won....

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I work with a JW and have been hosting JW conventions here at our hotel for 2 months, the conventions have ended but the fire they lit under the JW in the area has just gotten to roaring. This morning my co worker was confronting me on the issue that she said was the topic of todays service, and how important it was for her to be there for it, anyway she was trying to convince me that the big fallacy in christianity is that we believe Jesus is a God. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I grew up in southern protestant and baptist churches, and I never once was told that Jesus is a God. But this is what she thinks is wrong with other religions for the most part. Is there any religion that teaches Jesus is a God?

She just wouldn't believe me when I told her she was wrong, and even though I am no longer active in any church, I still know that Jesus is the son of God made in the image of man. Is that a God?

I find the JW and 7th day church agenda's to be disturbing, expecially the book called 'reasoning', a few pages in and you see the brainwashing begin. It tells you exactly what to say to anyone, any religion, to 'reason' with them and why their religion is wrong and JW isn't. But with hosting over 2000 JW every weekend for 6 weeks, I never once saw a bible.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

wha? you have any missing time?
head injury? think you might have amnesia? ever see an ufo?
this is getting stranger by the minute.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Is there any religion that teaches Jesus is a God?

Yes.... "The Way" teaches that Yahweh lived as one of "us" so all the whiners wouldn't be able to shake their fist at Yahweh and ask "Why? You big Meany!!!!????"

Yahweh lived completely within the Temple/Body of Yeshua.

HEY! If the Hebrews can put Yahweh in a box... The Temple Holy of Holies... then can't Yahweh live within our Temple/body as was intended... from the beginning?

Yes... why I think Yahweh can.

You might want to ask Yahweh to live within your Temple/Body...

Just be prepared to be "crucified" by the Hybrids.

Have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

What you say is pretty much a given... Tho it sounds like this group of JWs have a screw loose. It all boils down to what could be called 'Obi Wan' Syndrome- it's all based on "a certain point of view". Now, if you can confuse someone who is less educated, or really hurting, or is just plain confused by it all, and drag them to a certain church, so the leader there can fund his vacation, car, or whatever, you'll get a pat on the head and a cookie. Oh, and some 'blessings'. Otherwise known as hot air.

Even the 2 I had show up had Bibles, and even used them. Or, tried to. So this bunch is a tad.... off. It sounds like they are less a religion, more a cult. Dont be surprised if their leader one day at one of these things stands up, and declares himSELF 'God'. Just be worried... and a little scared...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Even the 2 I had show up had Bibles, and even used them. Or, tried to. So this bunch is a tad.... off. It sounds like they are less a religion, more a cult. Dont be surprised if their leader one day at one of these things stands up, and declares himSELF 'God'. Just be worried... and a little scared...

so if people use bibles now they are a cult?

you are making less and less sense the more you post

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

You have any missing time?

Nope. The closest thing that comes under 'missing' is when I bury my head in a project, and don't come up for air- and then realize 'Hey! It's dark out! I gotta use the bathroom! I missed (insert meal O the day)!'

head injury?

Had a couple real NICE ones, but nothing that has jiggled my intellectual china off the shelves. Living alone and not having the normal stimulation a person SHOULD have, and being viewed like I am some sort of machine that doesn't need the normal, human needs and desires by other people obviously doesn't help. People around me think I simply don't need a woman for companionship. Or much social interaction. Or that my injuries shouldn't slow me down from (insert some task here). I just wanna smack 'em sometimes.... Because at that point, I wonder if *they* haven't had one too many hits to the head...

think you might have amnesia?

I WISH I had amnesia. I'd forget a lot of painful crap I simply (Or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't have to remember. I'd actually pay money to have my entire mind wiped, and I end up as someone else.

ever see an ufo?

Yup. My all time fave one was where me and a friend were outside a ship in the navy (we weren't supposed to be) just hanging out and talking, when we both saw a bright red light do a spiral motion, and then take off in a straight line and disappear in a flash of light, just like the Enterprise on Star Trek, Next Gen. We looked at each other, and DOVE thru the door almost as fast as the light left!

I lived in the corridor for Patricks AFB in Fla- You could look up, and it was an air show every day- all SORTS of planes would be flying over. I had 2 incidents in fla... one was when I had my first vivid, dream about my ex. It made me wake up shaking. And then, when I turned my head, I saw the alien at the head of my bed. I screamed, and swung at the thing, which disappeared. I was AWAKE for a looooong time after that, and slept with the lights on for an even longer time after that.

A year or so later, I was in bed. Now, my bedroom window was facing the parking lot on the other side of the apt complex, so the occasional set of headlights would go right down the hall, and into my bedroom window. The blinds usually didn't stop them. Anyways, I am laying there, and suddenly, it got BRIGHT. My first thought "oh, dang. Some idiot has pulled in with their brights on." I yanked open the blinds, intent on giving said person the Middle Finger of Contempt for their stupidity, when I realized... the lights weren't coming from there- there was a SPOTLIGHT on the opposite building. What's worse, NO SOUND. It was completely quiet out. I slid under the bed....

A few years later, I am walking down a road on the VA/ NC line, looking at the stars. There's little to no light pollution, so you could see a LOT. While I am wandering up the road, I see what I swear was a bicycle light. I politely got off the road, and waited for the bicycle to go by. Then... the light did a beautiful 90 degree turn into the woods, lit the general area around it up, and went out. OBVIOUSLY, NOT A BIKE. I very nearly messed my pants, and ran for my life!

About 2 years ago, While I was tending dogs in Chesnee, SC, I and every last dog, was witness to a 'ghost battle'. I was inside, and the dogs started barking, and I could hear quiet thumps. I was thinking 'what the-' and walked outside. I thought I was hearing fireworks, the neighbors behind me were setting some off. Then... I turned around.... It was like the house and the property had been picked up, and dumped right outside Tel Aviv. Explosions, the sky lit up with white flashes (I found out later cannons make a white flash), and tremendous clouds of smoke. I didn't know what to think. I called the person who owned the place, and held out the phone so they could hear. Their response was about like mine: "what the *blip*?!" a day or so later, I went to where this 'war' most likely was (just beyond a ridge past my neighbor's house) and found... an intersection. I didn't know about the term 'ghost battle' til I talked to someone later on.

So yeah, I have seen a few things....

as for strange- welcome to my world. EVERYTHING went horribly wrong that fateful day 20 years ago..... a lot of it seemed to start after I found out my ex was married, and I heard that horrible, unearthly scream (covered in an earlier post).

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

o if people use bibles now they are a cult? you are making less and less sense the more you post

What I meant was the 2 that came to my door (as opposed to the ones the previous poster I answered was telling about) had Bibles. Now, I know the JWs DO follow the bible to their liking and interpretation, so the ones who weren't using one at all where the poster is are kinda suspect.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
i was a little mean to the J.Ws that came to my house. i was 18 at the time, am 40 now. i invited them in and let them speak their peace.. and after about a half hour they were ready to head out.. i said hold on for a sec i let you into my house and listened to you about you'r god.. give me a sec to tell you about mine.. (smirk) so i went into a spiel useing what i knew about wicca and heard about satanism.. as i was telling them about the sacrifice we were about to do.. my roomate, ( who was very pregnate at the time) was sitting in her rocking chair which was most comfortable for her.. rocked back and caught the cats tail, the cat skreached and shot out of her room with her comming out looking for it, she also brought out some dishes as well and there happened to be a large kitchin knife on a plate.. both paled significantly and shot out the door... to this day if i see J.Ws while walking down the street they cross the road and away down another side street...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

bible thumping zealots are cultish..

they claim the right to preach, and we of differing opinions have the right to call them what they are

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Now, I know the JWs DO follow the bible to their liking and interpretation, so the ones who weren't using one at all where the poster is are kinda suspect.

still, using bible ≠ cult

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by scorand
bible thumping zealots are cultish..

they claim the right to preach, and we of differing opinions have the right to call them what they are

so you have the right to preach your opinion on a forum like this, but when JW's do it, they are being "cultish"

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Just gotta ask- did someone take a wizz in your cornflakes this morning?

As for anything not making sense- umm, yeah, it did. I was being polite explaining my take on it. When you KNOW how a religion operates, then you hear about a group with the same name that isn't working according to Hoyle- it makes one a tad suspicious of that particular group.

And NO ONE likes to have crap rammed down their gullet, religious or otherwise.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

that's one of the reasons i like to follow jesus' teachings moreso than paul's. paul was awesome, but jesus has him beat, hands down.
if you keep only jesus words in mind, you can weed through paul's stuff for the relevant material. as believers we aren 't required to worship a book. we are asked to worship the savior which to me is infinitely more appealing than setting paul up as omniscient and infallible. paul was great but he wasn't the messiah. so when people quote paul's stuff to justify their behavior and it disagrees with what jesus taught us, i have to assume that the problem is assumption. not their fault really, just human nature i think.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

so you're former military? or active duty? if you were at patrick, i assume you were/are air force? you go overseas at all? cause if so, you definitely need to do something pronto, for your immune system. i'd suggest echinacea but if you've gotten some of the more dangerous vaccinations, echinacea will mess you up big time.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I was in the navy- Patricks liked to route all air traffic over where I used to live.

My immune system's great. I could go for a swim in a sewer and come out with hardly anything.
My back? Not so great. Good ol overwork, and trying to do too much. I have a vertebrae that's probably on it's last legs.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Paul has ALWAYS been too dense, the wording too helter skelter, and I have found that when something makes me want to skim it for the relevant parts, it's usually something I shouldnt be trying to wade thru anyways.

One of the things I'll never forget is when I had someone ask me point blank " What's the Holy Spirit"? I went with what I KNEW. Not from the Bible- but what I personally had thought was the Holy Spirit. (I talked to someone who was a little more solid- and they said I was right on the money). Anyways- I was read the riot act- because not ONE thing I said 'was from scripture. Not because it was WRONG, per se- but I wasn't quoting scripture out my ears doing it.

I started to figure out that people who only quote verses were pretty much bereft of actually being real believers. They hang onto their little book like a shipwrecked person hangs onto a floating piece of wood. They may pretend to know God, they may have delusions of knowing God- but in reality, all they know of God is in the Bible (and usually in the New Testament). I used to hear so much about Paul, there was one time I kinda wished Paul had jumped off a cliff.
if I had any REAL dealings with God, I'd have these same people discount and ridicule me no end. then, I ended up where I am now.

I sometimes *do* wonder if this whole disastrous, Twilight Zone style mess wasn't put on me to make people think, make believers question what they think they know, and give me an acid test to ferret out the good from the bad... Think about it- if someone questioned you and had a story like this- and they were honest about how they felt and what they experienced... and you had NO answers for them- wouldn't you question your beliefs, and wonder why you had no definitive answer?

[edit on 21-9-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

well i'm an unusual case. i can't look at your story and make any hard and fast assumptions because of the things that have happened to me. i've got alot of compassion for people who have stories such as yours.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

And NO ONE likes to have crap rammed down their gullet, religious or otherwise.

who's ramming anything down your throat?

its amazing how people say stuff like this but it never makes any sense.

getting your knees broken for not accepting christ (which they did during the inquisition) is "ramming it down your throat".

getting sent to prison for years for wearing a bindi in the saudi arabian airport is "ramming" a religion down your throat.

what type of bitter person do you have to be when someone peacefully knocking on your door is considered aggressive?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

at least on here we get to hear both sides J.Ws dont want to hear anything anyone else has to say that may contridict their ideaology.. at not usually without a hissy fit and calling everyone a devil worshiper or godless.. i didnt pull that stunt on them till well after i tried to voice many questions that were relevant to what they were claiming for several years. not to mention they come to your home. and keep trying to the point of annyance.. there is a big diference between discussing the topic on a forum and having them invade your home three to four times a week.. and not wanting to answer legitimate questions..

[edit on 21-9-2009 by scorand]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorand
at least on here we get to hear both sides J.Ws dont want to hear anything anyone else has to say that may contridict their ideaology.. at not usually without a hissy fit and calling everyone a devil worshiper or godless..

there have been several threads here on ATS that have been quite rude toward JW's. ive seen them defend their beliefs, but i have yet to see them start calling people "devil worshipers" and "godless"

i didnt pull that stunt on them till well after i tried to voice many questions that were relevant to what they were claiming for several years. not to mention they come to your home. and keep trying to the point of annyance.. there is a big diference between discussing the topic on a forum and having them invade your home three to four times a week.. and not wanting to answer legitimate questions..

and there is a difference between offering something and "shoving" it down one's throat.

are people annoyed with JW's? no doubt, but that doesnt excuse lying about them.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join