It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42% of Parents Don't Want their Children Watching Obama Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

42% of Parents Don't Want their Children Watching Obama Speech

In a poll taken by KSL.com in their article – School districts cautious ahead of Obama speech to students, 42 percent of parents in Utah want their schools to opt out or keep their children home during President Obama’s speech.

If this video is shown in your children’s school, would you?
1. Let them watch it – 58% (418)
2. Opt out, if available – 22% (159)
3. Keep home from school – 20% (145)
Total Votes: 722

According to Fox News, concern arose when one of the lesson plans was release.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This article goes on to say that some schools are telling parents that they "CANNOT" pull their children out of school for these videos. Like they have any say in the matter! This is not nazi germany yet! Were do schools get off thinking they can tell parents ANYTHING that has to do with their children? I for one will not be allowing my child even go to a public school EVER! once they start dictating what the parents can allow their children to watch or say or do such as only use paper bags at the grocery store or dont flush a #1 only after a #2 or "I pledge to serve Obama" then i draw the line on the school system itself! If they want to have their kids brainwashed by the government thats THEIR problem!

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
They dont seem to like letting me post the link in the OP so here it is.
www.nationalexpositor.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
wow 722 votes thats really is a nice cut represenation of millions of americans......

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

The funny thing about poll's is this. They can poll in areas that are well known to be pro or con for said subject. So in this instance they could poll in a city or state that is mostly for Obama and even though the majority is still under the Obama spell it shows that even in those areas 42% think its wrong.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Dawn 09

The poll was among a very select group. It says out of 722 parents in VERY CONSERVATIVE Utah were against their children seeing the video. For all I know these 722 were all fundamentalists.

That's a far cry from 42% of the country.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Dawn 09
reply to post by loner007

The funny thing about poll's is this. They can poll in areas that are well known to be pro or con for said subject. So in this instance they could poll in a city or state that is mostly for Obama and even though the majority is still under the Obama spell it shows that even in those areas 42% think its wrong.

Actually, that's absolutely false. The funny thing about polls is a thing called a biased sample. If your sample size is not large enough, your poll fails to be random. In which case it is skewed. As in your poll for example.

Either way, this is my problem with this nonsense.

By pulling our kids from school, we are teaching them that its OK to ignore and marginalize anyone and anything that doesn't fit neatly into our bubbled worlds. I mean, What happened to teaching our children critical thought?
Why can't we sit down and discuss with them what was said in the speech? If anything questionable is said, why aren't we having a conversation with them about why we disagree? I'll tell you why. As I said in a different post. This isn't about Obama's speech.
It's about Obama.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by xEphon]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
I'll tell you why. As I said in a different post. This isn't about Obama's speech.
It's about Obama.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by xEphon]

Actually i totally agree. It is about Obama and how he wants our children to pledge service to him. Last i checked he worked for us.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Let me get this straight, if someone presents a point of view you don't agree with, you run away with your fingers in your ears shouting "LA LA LA LA" as loud as you can.

Right.

My children were often exposed to points of view in school that I thought were wrong and stupid. But I also realized that they would be exposed to this their whole lives, I could not shelter them from people with stupid opinions or just out and out wrong ideas (like taking steroids).

Instead I have chosen to teach my children how to be critical thinkers, to be able to be exposed to opinions, critically analyse them and then make up their own minds. If you love your children, why would you not want them to be able to be strong independent thinkers who make their own decisions.

A standard routine in our house has been to watch Bill O'Reilly followed by Keith Olbermann. Interesting how quickly they learn to smell the BS on all sides.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well, is there any way for us to get a copy of this speech? So that we may sit down with our children and discuss the speech? I would love to get my hands on it, because I will definitely discuss anything I find funny.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I send my kids to a private school. They won't be seeing Mr. Obama. If parents are that concerned I suggest you do likewise or get really involved and home school.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Dawn 09

A load of crap...

No problems when we had Reagan doing this or GB senior...

But a DEMOCRAT! HOLY CRAP!

Some people disgust me....

I guess it's only ok to support a president when hes a republican.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I would be interested to see a link to where Reagan or either Bush presented a speech to the public school system across the nation..

I for one have never heard of it..

Semper

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
1. Let them watch it

55% (1276)
2. Opt out, if available

24% (557)
3. Keep home from school

22% (504)
Total Votes: 2337

This is from the web site voting and I total 101% seems fishy to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

They are just rounding the numbers up from a fraction of a unit.

If the division comes out .5 or a unit higher you round up. .4 or lower you round down.

If two different columns split at .5 then each would still be rounded up to the whole number and create a sum total of 101% in that fashion. Nothing fishy about that it's called basic mathematics.

As far as the topic itself, the kids are to young to vote...any time soon even, and there is no crisis that has them scared that they need calmed about from some additional authority figure.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the Obama Administration has failed to create any jobs, unemployment continues to rise, the Credit Markets are still frozen and 2/3rd of the critical management positions in Government that are presidential appointments still remain vacant.

In my humble oppinion Obama has a lot more pressing things to be talking about and accomplishing with adults.

Lets do your real job first and then get your ego love fix later please.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I would be interested to see a link to where Reagan or either Bush presented a speech to the public school system across the nation..

Semper

Here ya go... you can watch some of their speeches...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

[edit on 5-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Thank you

I will look at them..

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Semper

You said what I already was thinking.

No president has EVER taken time from his job to address this one segment of the population. Under 13 years old, in school, and impressionable. And the Assignment that is go go along with it. Have you heard about this? Obama wanting the students that hear his speech to write to him with suggestions about how they can help HIM do his job.....

So after a well thought speech the kids that see this will further invest mental energy into pondering how they can help him do his job.... Maybe they can snitch on parents planning to avoid swine flu vaccines. Or maybe they can tattle on parents with anti government views.

Who knows? I have yet to hear the speech.

No doubt some rouge teachers will record this speech and post it onloine for us when is is revealed and we shall all be here to talk about it when it is posted here...for now we can only speculate on what will be said.

But what bothers me is the target audience. He is not addressing the nation. He is addressing the nations youth.

And that is wrong.

The last person I can remember to address a nations youth was Hitler. And these days the US looks more and more like 1939 Germany.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join