It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

yay! I received my Green Card..What should I do with it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
After years of waiting (and moving out of the US) I finally got my Green Card!
I completely forgot about it. I am happy to have received it but what should I do with it?

I am enjoying life in Europe now:
Found a decent job and good jobs opportunities
I can afford to save a good amount of money every month
Receiving free education and training for me and eventually my daughter
Good social and health care, wont be on the street if I lose my job.
Can afford a nice 3 bedroom apt with one job and govt housing aid
Better food, great untouched tap water
Lower criminality, no guns on the streets
lovely cities and architecture

I have family in FL and they are inviting me to move over but I feel that I'd b making a mistake. Is there a place in the US with good opportunities or decent living standards? I am not highly qualified, I rather enjoy quiet places away from stress and smaller communities.

So yeah I dont know what to do with my GC!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Stay AWAY!!! (not that you aren't welcome)

If life is good for you there, just enjoy it!

I think the United States should be quarantined until we can get our collective head out of our collective rump.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

If you're happy where you are, then stay. America has it's problems, but I guess it's what you want that matters.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If life is as good as you paint it, I think i would stay put.

Wish ya the best on your decision.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Stay...Why move if you are doing great? You will always have that card correct? LOL, the US is not the best place to re-locate to right now, I know I LIVE HERE,lol.

STAY WAY AWAY

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ...
for you and for those in the united states .

may I suggest that those who say " stay away " , may either have not a clue how good they have it , or , know full well and see little reason to want one more among them .

I would commend you stay close to family or strong friends .
local knowledge is never easy to understand or aquire to new points of veiw .

being where you stands is local to each unique place on earth . where you are is a place in the mind , as much as the dirt that supports the weight on your feet .
finding that place in your mind , and being where you are is a collection of assumptions , traditions , common knowledge , history and costumes .... best learned from people who have your best intrest , and history with you , whom you trust .

standing in a diffrent world can be a bit of a trama to the body , shock to the mind and fuzz to the soul ...
find a foundation first , take day trips into the new with the support of trust in old friends or strong friends .

the united states is made up of the single most violant people the earth has ever known , passionate , intence , directed , hard working , honest , narrowly focus'd .

this is not a place for the shy , weak or wreakless .
we as a people have a unique sence of honor , justice , fairness , and pride .
we as a people are easy to misunderstand , underestimate , or find fault with ...

seek the local knowldge , and be where you stand ... then look beyond for a place where grass grows greener still .

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thanks thats what everyone is saying
I am the adventurous kinda girl, I love to change once in a while. I always dreamed of living in a small remote town not far from native americans (Hopis) with a farm and horses. Life long dream I dont know if I will ever afford to realize it

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
I completely forgot about it. I am happy to have received it but what should I do with it?

I am enjoying life in Europe now:
Found a decent job and good jobs opportunities
Receiving free education and training for me and eventually my daughter
Good social and health care, wont be on the street if I lose my job.
Can afford a nice 3 bedroom apt with one job and govt housing aid
Better food, great untouched tap water
Lower criminality, no guns on the streets
lovely cities and architecture

I have family in FL and they are inviting me to move over but I feel that I'd b making a mistake. Is there a place in the US with good opportunities or decent living standards? I am not highly qualified, I rather enjoy quiet places away from stress and smaller communities.

So yeah I dont know what to do with my GC!

I agree, stay away!!!

This place is a rat race for roaches, rent is high, people are cold or judgmental and
the JOBS SUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK, if you are not highly qualified, in fact even if you are.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE, do not screw up a good thing!

Don't listen to the people who are saying do not listen to us, "because they don't know how good we have it"

BULL CRAP - this place will suck the life from you BY DESIGN!

My first thought was to protect you- by "STAY AWAY" and notice how that was a knee jerk thing to do?

... Its true

[edit on 3-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
one does not jump onto a sinking ship.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Go where opportunity is the greatest. (Florida would not be the best choice in the US.)

For all those railing about the rat race in the US, I got news for you, it's the same nearly everywhere else.

Europe has its fair share of problems too. In fact, there are far scarier things going on over here than in the US. No one really notices the complaints because the expectations already start so low.

Opportunity is preparation and luck. Work for the former and hope for the later....and go wherever your heart takes you.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud
one does not jump onto a sinking ship.

Rats may not jump onto a sinking ship, but Humans (or at least those that are evolved beyond Rat-like instinct) jump onto a sinking ship all the time!

How else do you propose rescuing those who are still on-board?
How else do you propose salvaging the ship and it's cargo?

Just because something is in the process of sinking doesn't mean it has to sink.

Those who idly stand by to let something happen are only perpetuating their self-fulfilling prophecies. However, some are more content to take action and turn things around, and oftentimes can.

If you are content and have found happiness where you are, then by all means stay happy and content where you are. If you want to be near family, then by all means come back. Things are only so bad as people want them to be here. There is plenty of contentment and happiness for the taking in America, and plenty more ways to make a difference now that more and more people would rather give up trying.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Thanks thats what everyone is saying
I am the adventurous kinda girl, I love to change once in a while. I always dreamed of living in a small remote town not far from native americans (Hopis) with a farm and horses. Life long dream I dont know if I will ever afford to realize it

I couldn't help but read through some of your threads and where you have quoted the above about native americans. I am related to the South American native red indians as I have there genes in my blood. I've always wondered if that has anything to do with my Clairvoyance. As the native americans practiced a lot of Spiritual magic.

I am a very Spiritual light-being and worker. I enjoy spreading the truth, light and awareness and at the moment I have had strong visions of a person I feel I have known all my life and yet I'm still searching for that women. She has a very strong character and more. I have commented on your profile.

Who knows, I forgot to mention in my comment on your "Profile" page that you have a daughter.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sorry for edit, this has seemingly repeated the post on a second account. Very annoying! :p

[edit on 7-7-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well if you are enjoying your life in Europe better than the USA then by all means stay. "Do what makes you happy" they say. Personally i wouldn't want to live in europe. It is a great region ( italy is a very beautiful country) of the world but not neccessarily a place i would want to keep permanent residence. Keep your greencard, i am sure at some point you may want to move back to the USA, even if it is to just have a summer house.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

She isnt interested in coming to a country to save it, she is looking out for number one. (Hence her list of all the good things she has now.)

If you are interested in your own well being, and what a country can do for you, stay away from the US. One, because right now, we can do very little for you.

Two, because this country needs citizens who are willing to give a little to their nation rather than just think about what it can give them. Granted, we all want to have a nice life, but when people are all about themselves and think little about giving back to their country, you end up with what we have now. A horrible mess. Our people cant even be bothered to vote half the time.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Well, first thing try and remember why you applied for it in the first place. If it was only to improve your living standards but you reached that level in Europe, then by all means, stay where you are.

Do keep in mind that even though your greencard expires in 10 years, you could lose it at anytime if you live outside the US for more than a year. So if you had any other reasons to ever want to live in the US, then start weighing them right now.

I have family in FL and they are inviting me to move over but I feel that I'd b making a mistake. Is there a place in the US with good opportunities or decent living standards? I

I felt saddened when I saw all people in this thread yelling to stay away, it only shows they can't appreciate what they have.

Good jobs with great opportunities are not exclusive to Europe. The greatest mistake you can do in the US is fall on the no experience no job loop and stay unemployed just because the jobs you are qualified to do are not hiring. So to avoid this you could follow two paths:

1- Get a job through networking - which is why I would suggest that if you do move do it where you have family.

2- Start from the ground up - yes, this means pushing carts in Wallmart. A lot of Americans would never want to fall that 'low', but the ones that do can at least tell a story when the interview for a dream job comes up. Of course they would ommit the pushing carts part, but they can point out other stuff that may be useful, like when they helped perform inventory or how a particular problem was resolved.

If you have enough saved, why not a short vacation? Visit your relatives and see how life is like in their area. If you like it then you could consider moving indefinitely just to get a taste, and if you don't like it just move back to Europe. Of course it's not that simple, in fact it's a headache bound process (especially if you do come here and then go back, double the pain) but it may be worth it. I myself have lived in 3 countries and around 10 different households/appartments, but don't regret anyone of them.

Is there a place in the US with good opportunities or decent living standards? I rather enjoy quiet places away from stress and smaller communities

Sure there are. The problem is your standards are not everyone's standards so I wouldn't know which place to tell you. As a rule of thumb, the bigger the city, the better the opportunities. Of course, living in a city can be considered chaotic to some, but they still don't want to lose the opportunities it offers, lucky for them there are suburbs. The further you live from the city, the cheaper and quieter everything gets, but you are forced to take long commutes to and from the city. The key is finding a sweet spot in between, but it's different for everyone.

Now you may have seen the post by Illusionsaregrander, it sound harsh but the US economy has not fully recovered and everything is not pink. If you do move into the US be prepared for hard work, and yes, very stressful times, like I said, even wallmart is an option if you must, but even in this economy, time and hard work will pay off.

top topics

join