It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrite Charlie: punish tax slip-ups

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Hypocrite Charlie: punish tax slip-ups

www.nypost.com

...Rep. Charles Rangel had quietly slipped into the health-care bill broad new provisions cracking down on taxpayers in proceedings with the IRS...

...would strip away legal defenses and pile higher penalties on corporate and individual taxpayers facing IRS proceedings for what they claim are unintentional mistakes...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ny dailynews.com

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I find this incredible. This man who is under investigation under the old laws wants to make the laws more severe for others in the future and this applies to "unintentional" mistakes. The idea of taking punitive measures against people who make honest mistakes is obscene at best.

Rangel is one of the most disturbing people in Congress and even more disturbing is why people continue to vote for him. He must truly bring home the pork.

He failed to report over a half million in assets and is currently under investigation for ethics violations.

If there is a poster child for why we need to "Vote the Bum's Out" it is Charlie Rangel.

This is the same character who keeps introducing a bill to reinstate the Draft just to get attention. He is a national embarrassment to us all.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Just another case of "Do as I say, not as I do." These thugs truly feel like they're above the law and they can do whatever they want. These career politicians are out of control and need to be voted out. If you look up hypocrite in the dictionary you'll probably see his picture. How does he keep getting re-elected?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Charlie 's Angles

There are two sets of rules for Rep. Charlie Rangel - the ones he writes for everyone else and the ones that are, or were, beneath his compliance, powerful personage that he is.

Over the past year, Rangel's cavalier disregard of tax and ethics regulations became increasingly evident as his personal affairs were brought to light. There was a harrumphing alibi for each lapse, but the excuses became ever lamer as they mounted.

Why is this man not expelled from Congress? Every day that passes that he still retains his seat is proof of how these Megalomaniacs in Congress view the world. Two sets of rules and two classes of people.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Why don't he just make it retroactive so he can get a piece of the action as well?

These guys are just as bad as bankers and their interest rates.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Charlie Rangel, Ticking Time Bomb

"it's just a matter of time before [Democratic leaders are] forced to admit they have a serious Rangel problem."

I don't see how they have been able to not take action already. Incredible!

The House ethics committee is investigating, but has done nothing so far. This is on top of Rangel's tax troubles; he failed to report income on a Caribbean villa and paid back taxes (but no penalties or interest) when caught by the IRS.

I'll say it again - INCREDIBLE!!!

...and his answer is to try and punish people who make innocent mistakes on their own taxes.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thomas Paine:

"The laws of a country ought to be the standard of equity and calculated to impress on the minds of the people the moral as well as the legal obligations of political justice. But tender laws, of any kind, operate to destroy morality, and to dissolve by the pretense of law what ought to be the principle of law to support, reciprocal justice between man and man; and the punishment of a member who should move for such a law ought to be DEATH."

Now, I know TP was talking about something a little different, but it's connected to our money problems. I do believe the death penalty should be on the table for any Congressman, Pres., whoever they are in whatever position that was given to them by we the people, who tries to push laws like these.

We would also need a way to get at these butt heads, because there seems to be almost no way to get any of them out of office when they keep screwing us - no lube, no kiss, no reach around, nothing - lat alone put them on trial for their crimes.

Put the death penalty on the table for bankers and lobbyists for the banking industry also. They all need to go to jail at the very least. I've been reading The Creature From Jekyll Island over the last couple of months. It's a hard read as I get pissed off after every page, almost. It's that disgusting what the bankers and politicians have done to this country with the Fed and the IRS.

Funny thing is, I'm not so sure I'm even for the death penalty, but when it comes to crimes against humanity like this, I just get sick. There seems to be no oversight of what the people in charge can do and that needs to change.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I'd agree that the penalty for crimes should be more severe for those who hold elected office. Perhaps there should be an automatic enhancement of say 5 years.

The problem is that for all intents and purposes, Congresspersons are exempt from the law unless Congress itself decides they want the person gone.

The number one problem though is why people continue to vote these people back into office time after time, year after year? Is it apathy? Is it the concept of an enemy you know is less dangerous than one you don't know? Or, is it simply a matter of how much pork they bring home every year? I think that is where the real answer lies. Bring home the pork and the voters will turn a blind eye to the wrong you do come election time.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This guy really is a piece of garbage. He needs to learn to pay his own bills before he suggests anyone else does totally ridiculous. I know his wife is in trouble and all but that doesn't justify what he and too many others do.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
How does he keep getting elected? The whole republican/democrat thing is a joke anyway and the sheeple should see past that. I cannot find justification for his actions-except that maybe he is pis_ed off that he got caught. What an (ss!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by nocensorshipplease]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
He is doing the classic point the finger so he can slip out the back trick.
But what he is not understanding is to many people have looked his way while he trys to slip out. "Grab the spotlight boys!"

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
More Info on Charlie

Among the dozen newly disclosed holdings revealed in the amended forms are a checking account at a federal credit union with a balance between $250,000 and $500,000; three vacant lots in Glassboro, N.J., valued at a total of $1,000 to $15,000; and stock in PepsiCo worth between $15,000 and $50,000.

The updated forms report that Mr. Rangel's total net worth is between $1,028,024 and $2,495,000 -- about twice the amount listed in the original disclosure statement, filed in May 2008, which declared assets totaling between $516,015 and $1,316,000.

Rangel sits on the committee that wrote the Social Security and Medicare Laws as well as oversees the tax laws. Both Social Security and Medicare are teetering on the brink of collapse.

In the past, Mr. Rangel has explained omissions on financial statements, including his failure to declare $75,000 in rental income from the villa in the Dominican Republic or pay $10,000 in taxes on it, as unintentional bookkeeping errors.

His response of course is one of seeking revenge for him being caught by increasing penalties on those who make honest errors on their tax forms. He paid his back taxes with no penalties imposed.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm still very wary of the fact that any of these politicians actually "pay their back taxes" even after being caught. There's a lot of room for back-scratching when it comes to the establishment.

Peace

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

All the more reason we need to stop voting for incumbents.

The only way to break up this gang of Good Ole Boys is to replace them. I've already made the decision to vote against any incumbents, even if I like them.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Someone needs to find him and kneecap him with a baseball bat.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I understand the sentiment but two wrongs never make a right.

The only thing guys like this understand is when they don't get reelected.

[edit on 9/1/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

And exactly how is this is a conspiracy?

I understand the hypocrisy - its rampant all over politics. It's nothing new.

I say we should go after the off-shore money that corporations try to hide and leave the little guys alone.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Dr Love

All the more reason we need to stop voting for incumbents.

The only way to break up this gang of Good Ole Boys is to replace them. I've already made the decision to vote against any incumbents, even if I like them.

Totally agree. The founding fathers did not design the system for politics to be a lifelong career.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Someone needs to find him and kneecap him with a baseball bat.

While that bat is handy let me take a few whacks at the hypocrites who preach family values and religion and go on to have all kinds of adulterous homosexual and heterosexual exploits.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Perhaps he made deal with the IRS: Go light on him and he will push for tougher tax penalties.

Perhaps he and his cohorts are focusing on the federal government's desire for more revenue and this seems like a way to generate it and doesn't care how harmful it is to his fellow citizens.

It would be a glorious day if there were a grass roots movement to end the national fraud and nightmare known as the federal income tax, IRS, and the FED. Seems Ron Paul is one of the rare few in Congress with the courage and integrity to openly advocate abolishing all three.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join