It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello Fellow Survivalists!!! I'm Your New FSME...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Can't say I envy the task that you have undertaken here, Semper, BUT I am glad you have.

We all have much to learn, and apparently, in a very short time. Get us ALL edamujcated as soon as you possibly are able. I promise to not raise my hand with a lot of questions, before the answers have been given.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Congratulations, SemperFortis!!!

It's been a while and you may not remember me, but I hope you and yours are well, and that you are able to help a lot of people through this new responsibility!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Semper, I have a question for you in regards to range finding with mildots.

If an 6ft object is 3.5 mills and the equation is 2x1000/ 3.5mills=571yds

I do not understand how the equation comes up with the #2…

N/M, I think I just figured it out...coverting feet into yards.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Thumb]

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Thumb]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thumb

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I didn't read all the threads so I if I am asking a question twice, my bad ahead of time...

Okay, here are my questions:

1. Where does one start?
I am assuming it is getting and staying in shape, correct?

2. Do I stock pile anything? If so what do you suggest?

3. Weapons, though we don't have any in our home now, what do you suggest I get if you do suggest this?

4. Investments - Land and anything of value, do we assume the enemy has taken over them?

5. Children - what do we tell them and teach them?

Little about me: Served in the US Army for 6 years do know how to shoot and even cadre some folks. But it's been over 13 years since I've served...

Thanks for your help.

CX

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx2112
Okay, here are my questions:

1. Where does one start?

Hi there

Good question, there is a lot to take on board here, so i wonder if one of our more knowledgable members would be able to make a "Where do i start?" thread, with a view of breaking things down for a newcomer to survival and preparedness?

In the meantime syrinx, welcome to the survival forum.

The common subjects that people make a start with are topics such as...

BOB's (Bug Out Bags) A bag that you can grab and go should you have to take off from your home at a moments notice. Lots of variations on these depending on your needs and where you expect to go. You'll hear about GHB's (Get Home Bags) and EDC kits (Every Day Carry) too.

Food and water storage. Gradually building a stockpile of food so that you could survive for a period of time if the situation meant you had to support yourself (No shops type thing). Crop growing is a popular subject too, as we may need to grow our own food sometime.

Survival skills. These seem to be generaly geared towards wilderness survival, but the skills can be used anywhere really. These are typicaly things like shelter building, finding food and water, and knowing how to make it same for consumption. Navigation, field medicine, long term survival, rebuilding a community after a total breakdown of society or a natural disaster. Lots of things covered in the survival topic.

Weapons. A popular discussion topic on the boards. Depending on where you live, you might want to have the security of a weapon or weapons to look after yourself in a survival situation. Hunting weapons are discussed too. Firearms, knives, tools, makeshift weapons, there are lots of threads on this.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, but those seem to be some of the main subjects that spring to mind. I think someone else could expand on this better than me, so hopefully someone will.

Take time to browse back through the pages of the survival forum, there is a wealth of info here, and recently we've been lucky enough to have a few more people contribute who have a ton of knowledge in this subject.

Any questions, just ask and someone here will know the answer, or will do their best to find out for you.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

CX.

PS: Reference your other questions, as far as the kids are concerned, there are many members here icluding myself who have kids, and try to include them in aspects of what we discuss here, whether that be having fun with camping skills as an intro, or more serious survival skills.

Fitness? It certainly won't do any harm to get into and stay in shape. There are threads on this too. Being able to walk with what you intend to survive with will definately help.

[edit on 2/9/09 by CX]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Boy am I late to this party! I brought chips, if that helps.

Semper, you're one of my personal heroes on the board. Even tempered and chock full of good ole common sense. Glad to hear you're in charge.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

For the pine nuts, i seem to remember you have to heat the cones in the embers of a fire, which makes them open up and release the kernels.

Also remember these were a staple food of natives wherever these things grow (hunter gatherers), and to further process them, they are placed on shallow wicker baskets, or mats, along with embers or hot stones placed in the fire, and tossed into the air, and caught again on the mats, and repeated a number of times.

This allowed the debris to be caught and taken by the air, and cooled the roasted nuts, to stop them burning (something like that anyway).

The acorns need to be soaked for AT LEAST a day, preferably in a moving stream or river (rather than a still pond) to leach the toxins etc. Valuable source of starch if nothing else is available, but quite labour intensive by all accounts.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Congratulations semperfortis!!!

I could see why the administration appointed you as FSME to this forum.

I remember going through your website a couple of months ago about how to operate a Glock22.

Hope to learn a lot of usefull survival tips from you!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Question: When the decision is made by an occupying army to take over a civilian's home for their own purposes ( residence during the term of servic) how is the decision made?

What do they look for?
Physically, socially, culturally, for example

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Congratulations Semperfortis, looks like I will be learning a plethora of survival knowledge from an expert in the field.

Hipster

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Birdhale

Thanks Everyone...

In answer to the above...

An Army NEVER takes possession of A home..

An Army is comprised of tens even hundreds of thousands of soldiers and support personnel..

Now a Unit..ie...Squad, Fireteam, H&S Platoon etc.. may take control of a residence and that decision is made strictly by the Commander in Charge or a member of his Command Staff..

Semper

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

hullo man, hypothetical for you, lets say you've constructed a fortress/household type set up that is 'off the grid' and mostly unknown of, 100% self-sufficient, organic water filtration systems by way of man made creeks, wind turbines, etc. So you've successfully survived the collapse of modern/big-city society & have been living up in the mountains for some time now. but the government thugs, or the military, or the police, or the citizen police, or hungry armed people, or mutants, or de-evolved beast-men whose conciousness was removed by high tech future weapons....are invading ur haven.

anyway so you're being invaded.
now lets say that they have the latest & greatest of weaponry & technology, lets assume you can't fight them or run from them in the traditional methods & had to remove the 'noise level' from your brain as to whats actually possible, in order to think of a solution.

So its well known that the nwo architects have 'created' materialist culture, dumbed down people- who are largely un-spiritual, even those who attend church aren't having the spiritual experience of the early days of christianity because the church branch of the illuminati changed the hymns, the words, the notes, the sound frequencies. anyway point is that the illuminati kept us closer to monkeys than gods, whilst simultaniously doing the opposite for themselves, we all know this. but perhaps we don't all realise that 'science' is part of the limitations we adhere to. consider the fact that until about 50yrs ago everyone believed that if you tried to run a mile in under 4 minutes your heart would explode, why? because medical science said so. then along comes an open minded experimental doctor who isn't buying it so he goes out & runs a mile in under 4 minutes & his heart is fine. as soon as people catch word of this, other extraordinary people begin running a mile in these times and look at where we are today with running speed! point is that this era we're entering may be the one where the previously coveted knowledge of human ability becomes known to the survivors & therefore sparks the wave of people with 'abilities' which in reality they always were capable of but unable to realise it.

So (in other words) i put it to you that we are at a serious disadvantage & that through the extensive knowledge made exclusively available to them (being more of a worry then their technology) they have achieved understandings of what's possible, that we've been specifically engineered NOT to believe.

I mention for e.g John Chang, acupuncturist who uses the chi energy in his body to create electrical charge he can release from his hands either into the needles, people or also caught on camera is john setting fire to newspaper with the chi created charge coming from his hands.

Remote viewing is a legit skill that can be taught & with practice & talent can be used to move the 'sight' function from your mind/eyes & view outside of you body, you could leave ur body-survey the surrounding area for enemies whilst sitting in the stronghold with a snipers by ur side.

Thick woods or rediculously tough rock terrain like some un-mapped mexico Valleys, etc ? if u had woods u have advantage with guerilla warfare, but if you became too much of a hassle an airstrike or such could just burn the lot yourself included, the woods being the fodder YOU provided them...or the rocks...?

If you could tackle the situations i've thought up, and you weren't restricted by what is thought to be achieved with the human body/mind, but still had to handle the situation on your lonesome or with a handful of fellow survivors...how would you, with the experience you have, how would you deal with it??

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

P.S- if the 'bad guys' were invading ur fort, what means/tech do u think they'd be most likely to use, and what would be its exploitable weakness?

if you had DIY electromagnetic technology (with the right ppl & the right books) you could EM pulse the surrounding - wipe out the electricity/gps based techs, could u do something similar to wipe out radio? you could have a perminant device hidden in a cave somewhere near camp that creates a EM/radio, etc disruptive field 100km+ around the camp which the head guys might mistake for a natural field & disable their means of monitoring you & noticing you are there at all. bring them down to a man vs. man level & you'd stand a chance right?

pps. thanx for taking the time to read/reply!

PPPS: one last thought, it seems to me the key to a 'winable' fight would be to disable all their technologies, so i ask, are you aware of any tech that can 'knock out' satellite monitoring of your land, gps, thermo cameras, night vision cameras, what about something to fuse the bullets in the chamber so their trad' guns are unusable? or the electrically triggered guns, something to 'short circuit' the gun? and the microwave weapons, maybe u could not disrupt those but an alternative could be building materials? wall layered with all the materials needed to shield from microwaves, radio waves, ultra sonic (sound weapons), ultraviolet (night vision) etc??

[edit on 5/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Interesting post

However..

I deal in the real world my friend..

I'm sorry but, I have no knowledge or interest in most of what you have asked of me.

If my strength, training and preparation will not do the job, then I will see you in Heaven.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c84eb2c51bf8.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d34fde13b36.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fad82caaa62b.jpg[/atsimg]

All I need

Semper

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

due to the fact that i edited my post several times, did you catch the last bit i wrote about disabling their technologies? as this is a 'real-world' question with important real world answers that only someone with your kind of experience could answer for me....plz to address my non-esoteric questions?? please
!!

also, good answer, and to maintain th esoteric vibe in my reply, if u believe in a heaven, then u will have it, I would suggest tho that u imagine what it will be like so you have something to work with when u get there..consider that heaven is 'imagination land' and if you don't 'imagine' then you haven't 'built' the heaven u wish to live in post-mortem. just a thought.

but back to reality, the 'energy wave' (radio, electromagnetic, etc) disrupting building materials & devices....know of any? seem a good idea to you? seem plausable that these techs would be used against survivors? if not, then at what point would they start using this stuff against you?

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

P.S
RemoteViewing is a skill. not 'imagination land' but 'real world'. its documented fact, its a skill that can be taught to anyone, its hard to believe because of our current understanding of the body/mind, but its a tested & proven ability, 'real'. pretty sure theres declassified CIA RV training manuals floating around the net u could find, pretty sure i've got them actually.

P.P.S - the story regarding the 4 minute mile-heart exploding is true & explains why 'real world' is defined by the information you decide to trust.
for some people this means the info must be proven, my point is that electrical charge conducted from the body & out of body visual fields may just be exactly the same as the 4minute mile. perhaps u won't believe till u experience it for yourself? just a thought. also, quantum science is currently learning things about the little lego blocks of life (the ones that make up atoms) that challenge everything we had taken for granted up to this point, also they've evidence to support the idea that not only does the human mind extend beyond the limits of the body, but that it also extends through time, some short moments into the future & a long way into the past.

they say this explains how a baseball pitched at 100km's can be seen to be hit by the batter. they say the batters mind is a few moments ahead in time, the 'mind' watches the ball fly past the batter & the moment the ball hits the catchers mit, the mind goes back in time to the 'actual moment' where the body is, the mind tells the body when its supposed to swing the bat to hit the ball that is otherwise impossible to react to in time.

perhaps your mind does a similar thing everytime you hit a bulls eye at the shooting range.

the tests they performed to proove their theory were extreme to say the least. open brain sugery to a waking patient, first stimulated the fingertip, then the part of the brain that related to the same nerve endings, the patient reacted to the fingertip first. should have been the direct to the brain stimuli that caused a faster reaction.

again thanks for ur time, and after my questions on anti-technology methods get answered i won't bang on about esoteric junk in your thread as that would be rude & unappreciated
however is there any point my asking you about free nrg generators & means of self sufficiency or would this not interest you either? personally anything that can make the process easier i would've thought welcome.... but no problem, if this is not the right thread for it...this is the first survival thread i've looked at.....

-B.M

[edit on 5/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

one last thought, it seems to me the key to a 'winable' fight would be to disable all their technologies, so i ask, are you aware of any tech that can 'knock out' satellite monitoring of your land, gps, thermo cameras, night vision cameras

Ok, I'll take a stab, but please don't get upset with my answers...

The first and foremost concept of personal survival is to remain invisible. I currently work with some of the technology you have mentioned and I know of no way to "disable" it or effectively defeat it, except.....

Tactics..

No amount of technology will beat the man with better tactics. You have to out think your opponent, be better physically, mentally and always follow certain techniques without fail.

1. Sat monitoring.. Always maintain cover
2. GPS, I don't see how this is dangerous to me
3. Thermo Cameras and Night Vision require the user to have some idea of where you are. Disappoint him and be somewhere else; somewhere he does not expect.
4. Maintain your equipment like your life depends on it. It does.
5. Maintain your health for the same reason.
6. Never relax.... I don't.
7. Be prepared for everything.. You can.. I am...
8. Most of all.. NEVER.. EVER.. EVER.. GIVE UP...

the 'energy wave' (radio, electromagnetic, etc) disrupting building materials & devices....know of any?

Never heard of it.

As for the Remote Viewing, Heart exploding, Baseball Pitch stuff...

I have no doubt that it exists, but not for me. Trust me in that I know there are many many things I have never seen and probably will never.

The simple fact is this as far as survival goes for me...

I have hunted big game all over the US, but more importantly, I have made a profession of hunting men my entire adult life. This has given me a fairly unique perspective of what works and what doesn't.

I can honestly tell you the most reliable concept in the world is the K.I.S.S. principle.

Keep It Simple Stupid (Stupid is not directed at anyone, just part of the acronym)

The more technology you use, or they use against you, the more things that can, and will, go wrong. The one thing you can depend on 100% is a well conditioned body, sharp mind, well honed instincts you trust and experience.

There are things in this world that I may fear if I have to face them. Another man or technology is NOT included in that list.

Hope this helps

Semper

[edit on 11/5/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Ok, I'll take a stab, but please don't get upset with my answers...

i'll try not to, sorry for getting a bit prickly (cactus) before, i was hungry, wore down my inner calm, my fault entirely.

The first and foremost concept of personal survival is to remain invisible.

i like that...

No amount of technology will beat the man with better tactics. You have to out think your opponent, be better physically, mentally and always follow certain techniques without fail.

perhaps it is going to be up to the individual to develop techniques for defeating their opponent's depending on the technology. I think a whole new way of thinking would be required to fight someone wielding an ultrasound device that causes hemmoraging of the lungs. for example. i mean this device may not exist yet, but the technology to make such a device exists, and if I can think of it, them someone else has probably already built it. you could modify key-mo equipment to make an ultrasonic weapon. The tactics to fight such things would be rather revolutionary no?

....8. Most of all.. NEVER.. EVER.. EVER.. GIVE UP...

Incredible, i love a good list & you have well exceeded anything i expected to recieve as a reply, I am VERY grateful
in fact i even felt somewhat foolish for the questions i'd asked in the first place & had a tinge of dread returning to this thread to read ur reply....

Never heard of it.

mmk no problem,
so i think maybe there are building materials that defend against radioactivity - a-bomb, and others that defend against microwaves, i think lead was one such material but unsure. ultrasonic waves are used in hospitals, perhaps the machine/room is made of something that contains the ultrasonic waves & stop them getting out & affecting people other than the patient. theres a new building 'stuffs' i think dubbed 'frozen smoke' although its pretty complicated stuff, goes a bit over my head, but used as insulation it can maintain a human-friendly temp inside when its -100 or less outside. it would be useful in an ice age or deep underwater for e.g.

I see however i have been asking the wrong questions for this thread & apologise.

I have hunted big game all over the US, but more importantly, I have made a profession of hunting men my entire adult life. This has given me a fairly unique perspective of what works and what doesn't.

See now with regard to that, it is exactly men (or ppl...i just realised what i did there) with your skills I fear, who if i defeated might escalate to my having to face a small army (several squads?) with the microwave gun attatched to a truck somewhere within range of use & having to contend with being dehydrated to death or other nasty things.

I can honestly tell you the most reliable concept in the world is the K.I.S.S. principle.....
The more technology you use, or they use against you, the more things that can, and will, go wrong.
The one thing you can depend on 100% is a well conditioned body, sharp mind, well honed instincts you trust and experience.

agreed & this had crossed my mind but i'd not paid it much attention - excess of equip/tech @ disposal + more things to go wrong...but this reinforces my ideas that a man of your skill can be defeated by a physically unfit smoker such as myself if we take the body out of the equation. I can't explain better without getting esoteric.....however a 'real-world' e.g. of an opponent without a body is....

technology used by us navy & advertising billboards alike that can shoot highly directional/accurate sound over long distances, say 1mile, and you can literally point shoot & talk, the enemy thought their god was talking inside their heads. the passer by's who heard the advert got someone whispering over their shoulder saying something creepy as they approached the billboard advertising a horror movie, the ad being some 700m up the road.

There are things in this world that I may fear if I have to face them. Another man or technology is NOT included in that list.

admirable to say the least.
I read that and thought, that man's got balls, and an understanding of combat I do not possess. However, I ask what you would do if you were scavenging and a voice began attacking you from within your own skull, how do you fight a man without a body? that will be my personal advantage...just quietly...

Hope this helps
Semper

Incredibly helpful & thankyou, especially for being patient, I am far from the 'kind of person' (sorry, i dunno how else to put it) to go hunting anything. to put it in perspective, when a fly lands in my coffee, i scoop it out, take it outside on my hand, wait for the sun to dry it off, then after it flies away i make another coffee. So you can see right there a polar opposite difference between us.

The only reason i'd do any military anything is for the survival knowledge & practice. which is not to say it isn't a fckn excellent reason, i just quietly fear a war starting and my actually having to participate in battle. point was tho, thanks for the patience & communication skills. much appreciated.

P.L.U.R.I (Peace, Love, Unity, Respect, Integrity = something worth fighting for)
-B.M

P.S) thanks again, you've given me alot to think about & hopefully some others will benefit from this too

[edit on 6/11/09 by B.Morrison]

[edit on 6/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hello, FSME, where you be? I know your in here somewhere. Never see anything lately from you. Are you for real or what? Last thing I saw was you in a Ninja Mask and a poem.

Hello, in there!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindWatcher1

While I am glad you missed me, I have actually posted several threads here and I am always reading everyone's material.

Semper

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Semper,
It's weird/funny reading back through our interactions in this thread,
after getting to know each other over at the 'ask a cop' thread some many months later....for e.g.....

Originally posted by B.Morrison
you could modify key-mo equipment to make an ultrasonic weapon.

I've since found out this is not accurate.

in fact i even felt somewhat foolish for the questions i'd asked in the first place & had a tinge of dread returning to this thread to read ur reply....

good grief...

See now with regard to that, it is exactly men (or ppl...i just realised what i did there) with your skills I fear, who if i defeated might escalate to my having to face a small army (several squads?) with the microwave gun attatched to a truck somewhere within range of use & having to contend with being dehydrated to death or other nasty things.

I was all geared up for a post apocalyptic world when I wrote that..Its amazing how things can change..like for e.g I don't live in fear any more, and am motivated toward self sufficiency as a lifestyle choice

...but this reinforces my ideas that a man of your skill can be defeated by a physically unfit smoker such as myself if we take the body out of the equation.

lol how wrong I was, seeing as the simple act of watching you chain smoke through all your 'ask a cop' videos, has increased my cigarette intake quite a bit...and we're both heavy smokers as it is, no offence to you regarding 'physically unfit' but we both know there's only so much that exercise can do for a smoker.

I read that and thought, that man's got balls, and an understanding of combat I do not possess.

how true this turned out to be..!

how do you fight a man without a body? that will be my personal advantage...just quietly...

good grief X2!! "will be" not "would try to be if it came to it" as I mention above, when I wrote that, I was convinced of some post apocalyptic outcome, not so any more, 'will be' changes now to "its possible"...

I am far from the 'kind of person' (sorry, i dunno how else to put it) to go hunting anything. to put it in perspective, when a fly lands in my coffee, i scoop it out, take it outside on my hand, wait for the sun to dry it off, then after it flies away i make another coffee. So you can see right there a polar opposite difference between us.

and right there again are some misconceptions of mine only corrected later by our interactions in the 'ask a cop' thread, the reality being that the differences between you and I are minor and not of a moral or ethical nature.

The only reason i'd do any military anything is for the survival knowledge & practice. which is not to say it isn't a fckn excellent reason, i just quietly fear a war starting and my actually having to participate in battle.

specifically, an unjust battle,
as fighting for life when its called for,
can only be looked at as admirable.

and secondly,

I have been blessed with the fortunate chance of living a life without EVER seeing battle, and to not recognise that blessing, when so many deserving people are born directly into a warzone, is an injustice I am not willing to commit. Once it became a necessity for me to fight, is when I would commit to doing so. Because I've seen the look on an ex child soldiers face, when an australian friend of mine (born in the 'lucky country') was talking about willingly putting himself in a warzone & when asked why, didn't really have an answer, the young afgahni man was devistated/disgusted. He himself wanted to join the australian army for a chance to fight the taliban again, and to train his fellow man to bring about the taliban's defeat, he is a very honourable young man who is willing to revisit the reality of his childhood, and participate in battle again, if it will help his country & his people, I mean, now THAT is a reason to go to war.

(that btw is no reflection on you semper, I remember why it was you said you joined the marines in the 'ask a cop' videos, and imho, I think that was a fair enough reason for anyone, and you were thinking ahead, looking out for yourself so that you could stay alive & not locked up long enough to do something good with your life, which we both know you have
and yup, simple as that)

Kind regards,
-Bob.

[edit on 26/12/09 by B.Morrison]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join