It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio soldier made 2 calls to mom telling of abuse before killing himself

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
lack of morals and intelligence is very much a part of military recruiting.

Cite your sources. In the years I've been in, I've never known this to be true. I work alongside some of the most intelligent people I know.

I'm sure you are aware how they use racism as a motivational factor in wars, calling iraqis diaper heads or sand N-Word so soldiers have no second thoughts of killign people.

That is a psychological reaction to having to deal with their best friend getting killed by one of them. That is a coping mechanism, a grief mechanism that, although not right, still exists. It happened in WWII, it happened in Vietnam, it has happened in probably every war anyone has ever been in. That is nothing new, that argument brings nothing to the table.

People who fall for this are definately not very intelligent and have a lack of morals. I'm not combing the entire military as such but it definately plays a part in recruiting efforts.

You just encompassed the entire military into your last two segments I quoted. You must not have intact morals to be able to lie so willingly and freely.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Look how dehumanization is a part of the Marines
Dear god, you might feel like crying after hearing this testimony
Marines giving poison to iraqi kids and so much more
I suggest everyone to watch these

EDIT:
I posted two videos in this thread
I would ask everyone to go here instead as it deserves it's own thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

Originally posted by Highground
That is nothing new,

Ya so?

Originally posted by Highground
You just encompassed the entire military into your last two segments I quoted. You must not have intact morals to be able to lie so willingly and freely.

No I didn't as I said not everyone is like that
Perhaps you took it too personally, which i'm guessing you did since you are a soldier

[edit on 30-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Your interview you posted is bogus this guy is just someone seeking glory with the anti war crowd. By the way there is no thermal packets in mre there is a silicate packet used to absorb moisture and oxygen aka oxygen scavenger packets.The thermal coating is on the inside of the mre bag itself.That being said just proves his story is a lie. The packet he referred to absorbs excess water to keep a thermal reaction from occurring and apparently he was to stupid to know this.

We get the idea you hate the military and willing to believe everything you read from anti war groups without any basis in reality. Ill flip this for you i went to Iraq used to carry peppermints in my pocket and would hand these out to Iraqi children so let me guess i was trying to kill them though too much sugar right.You sir are a loathsome human being.

[edit on 8/30/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
they need to double check on what people do, fooling around and other crap.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is just another reason why the people in the military are NOT the best and the brightest.

This is just another reason why we shouldn't even have people trained to kill when it isn't even necessary. A deployed army to fight fictitious enemies in Iraq and Afghanistan who probably don't even know where the U.S. is.

I guess most of them would rather do that than work at WalMart, but still...

[edit on 30-8-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Ya so?

I'm just enlightening you that this is nothing new, that this happens worldwide, in every country including the United States, and has for centuries. Even the Romans and Athenians did this.

No I didn't as I said not everyone is like that
Perhaps you took it too personally, which i'm guessing you did since you are a soldier

Then what was meant by, "people who fall for this are definitely not every intelligent and have a lack of morals?" I guess every single person in the military, "fell for that," since they were involved in the recruitment process, so in essence, you called the entire military un-intelligent, moral-lacking beings. Is that not what you did?

[last part of post redacted]

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Highground]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You know modern, if you are looking for negative information then that's all your going to find. There are several examples of military men and women doing outstanding things in war or just in life. Humanity is not perfect and neither are military service members. One thing for sure is that military personal find themselves situations which are going to push them to their limits and bring out their true colors. It's what people do when the times are hard that counts. Sometimes the hard times can bring out the best in people and unfortunately it can also bring out the worst.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

With all due respect, you seem to forget that soldiers do not get to pick and chose which wars they "get" to fight in.

My understanding is that you have a volunteer military right now. Are you saying that by volunteering at this time they are not in fact picking to be part of this war???

I admit I do not know you well, but subliminally I have gotten this impression of someone with a fair degree of common sense. I am not sure where I got that impression considering this last post of yours.

You guys, meaning Americans in general, have really got to get beyond this notion of "call of duty" whenever the nation says to go to war with someone without considering the rationale behind your nations' decisions.

Blindly going to war without considering the validity of the rationale strikes me as pretty downright stupid.

edit: It also makes those who do so complicit in the crimes that are committed in the course of the war.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by wayno]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by Styki

With all due respect, you seem to forget that soldiers do not get to pick and chose which wars they "get" to fight in.

My understanding is that you have a volunteer military right now. Are you saying that by volunteering at this time they are not in fact picking to be part of this war???

I admit I do not know you well, but subliminally I have gotten this impression of someone with a fair degree of common sense. I am not sure where I got that impression considering this last post of yours.

You guys, meaning Americans in general, have really got to get beyond this notion of "call of duty" whenever the nation says to go to war with someone without considering the rationale behind your nations' decisions.

Blindly going to war without considering the validity of the rationale strikes me as pretty downright stupid.

edit: It also makes those who do so complicit in the crimes that are committed in the course of the war.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by wayno]

National guardsmen join to defend the country, not go to war. Our branch is being abused. We did not ask for it, it happened because we were needed. Explain that one away.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

The current war is just what is going on right now. If anything else was to happen which would require the American people to be defended directly then we would still need soldiers to be ready.

Aside from that matter it can still be argued that the United States has in the past years had the responsibility to stabilize Iraq. Regardless of the reasons we went into Iraq, we broke their government and it was our job to fix it. Over the past few years the mission of our military in Iraq was to win the hearts and the minds of the Iraqi people. In some ways this missions was successful, there are other parts that were in need of improvement. It's not a soldiers job to question the war as a whole. Each unit has a mission and often times that missions seems more noble than the war as a whole.

Many here look at the war from the outside and look at the bigger picture from the begging to the end. This picture isn't even how the Iraqi's see the war. The Iraqi's are more worried about getting to and home from work everyday. They are worried about their economy, where they are going to go for medical attention or getting clean water etc.. These are all issues that the US military has currently been working on.

I wouldn't say that soldiers are blindly joining the military and fighting in wars that they know nothing about. I believe that at this point in time it would be hard to find somebody that knows nothing about the wars and what is going on. I would say that it is safe to assume that they would know what they are getting into.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Highground

I think you explained everything that needs to be explained. The National Guard are being deployed because they are needed. They are defending US interests, take that however you would like it.

I am not all that knowledgeable on the technical details of the national guard but from what I have heard they can be deployed to a combat zone. They are not going to send the national guard to be stationed in Korea or Germany. I think the recovery periods for the national guard are even longer than those of active units.

I can't really say that I am going to sit here and defend everything the US does. If you feel like you or the national guard is being misused then don't join them or re-up (if you are in the national guard).

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I was replying to Wayno, who stated we have a "volunteer military," so that's synonymous with us choosing our wars. I was simply explaining this was not true, as I believe you understand already.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Tell me what's your opinion no the afghan and iraqi war?
And U.S.'s involvement with it

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Tell me what's your opinion no the afghan and iraqi war?
And U.S.'s involvement with it

What does my opinion matter? Agree or disagree, I signed a contract whose obligations I must fulfill. There are reasons we are over there, it is not my job to decide if they are right or wrong.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

if he was overweight, then he shouldnt have passed the fitness test to get entrance to the army. and he shouldnt of been deployed.

this is the case for the UK army. If you arent fit you not getting in.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join