It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio soldier made 2 calls to mom telling of abuse before killing himself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Ohio soldier made 2 calls to mom telling of abuse before killing himself

www.google.com

The mother of a soldier whose suicide in Iraq led to cruelty charges against four men says her son made two final phone calls to tell her of abuses he was suffering in his platoon.

Kathe Wilhelm has told The Associated Press that her son, Pvt. Keiffer Wilhelm, called her the day before he died and said he was being forced to run for miles with rocks in his pockets that smashed against his knees.

She says he also said his belongings were disappearing and he had no one to turn to for help.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.10tv.com

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I don't know but sounds like either serious sexual misconduct or just hazzing or maybe a little bit of both.

But it's hard to think it's hazzing because if it is and he commited suicide because of hazzing... I don't think someone that soft would sign up to go to Iraq.

The link in the Additional News Links says he loved military life and boot camp.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That's just too bad.

I don't know if I should be angry at his platoon mates, the army, the war, or the kid.

So many young men and women dying. Inside or out. What a bummer.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I don't know but sounds like either serious sexual misconduct or just hazzing or maybe a little bit of both.

Could you point out where you're seeing "sexual misconduct" in this story???

Here's a better link with more to the story:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

They were hazing him because he was overweight.

I'm not trying to defend these guys IF they were truly hazing this kid, but we have to remember that what the average civilian would consider hazing - might be what we call "corrective training" or "remedial PT".

If this kid was fat and there were a bunch of NCO's who were making him run extra laps and do push-ups all the time, that's not hazing. Especially in an infantry or cav unit, new guys are screwed with relentlessly at times.

What's going to fry these guys is "making a false statement, one count of impeding an investigation".

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

This incident is too freaking f*(&ed for me.

I never thought this could happen. I guess the things I saw when I was in the army in the 1980's and 1990's should have clued me in.
I watched, and interceded when I could, conceerning abuse of soldiers by NCO's. Became the target of abuse myself for standing up against it. But no one, perhaps, took this young soldier's side, made a stand for him? That's disgusting. Yep, NCO's abuse. But I have never seen it gone this far during my time in the army.
This continued BS in Iraq and Afghanistan, by our own soldiers is brought about by, I think, the continued involvement, the continuing multiple deployments. the dehumanization of the "enemy", including civilians, (I know, from personal experience how this happens). which eventually causes military members to just dehumanize everyone, including fellow soldiers, is destroying..................everything. Now, can these 4 NCO's be prosecuted and punished severely? I hope so. Remember, though, this wouldn't have happened, if senior ranking individuals didn't let it happen. Surely there was at least one NCO, or one Commisioned Officer that was aware of what was going on? Probably. Experience tells me most, I mean MOST, won't speak out or take action.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

To cover the murder they call it suicide.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They made him crawl in the dirt till his knees bled, forced him to run for miles with rocks in his pockets that smashed against his knees, his belongings were disappearing, they taunted him about his weight to a point where he was ashamed to be in public...This is so sad.
These are not 12 year olds, they should know how to treat another human being. This young man was happy in boot camp. Breaks my heart to see things like this. There was no need for that young man to have gone through the things that he did. Now his family and friends will have to live with the loss for the rest of their lives, and Kieffer never really got to live his.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlie0

To cover the murder they call it suicide.

no he shot himself in the toilet booth or something

unless you are being metaphorical

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
pack your bags and go home,

clearly your children has not learnt anything from these wars when the war is still against your own kin.

all i can say is:

as above so below ,

if you cant getalong within your own kin then how on earth are you going to deliver the teachings of peace to others.

you gave kids guns who dont have a college degree/s for x sake and told them to go teach the world how to live,

tip of the hat to the mother who could have been spared this riddicule

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
you gave kids guns who dont have a college degree/s for x sake and told them to go teach the world how to live,

So, having a college degree is something you need prior to handling a weapon???

Never been around too many 2LTs, have you?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Remember, though, this wouldn't have happened, if senior ranking individuals didn't let it happen.

Well, there was a serious "fail" going on here, that's for sure. The kid needed some mentoring, and it wasn't provided.

If the kid couldn't keep up with his weight after that, he should have been chaptered from the Army.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Sad all the way around. If the man needed to lose weight, I assume the military would have had him consult with a doctor.

I disagree that the soldier had no one to turn to. Military Chaplains could have easily gotten involved.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You never can tell, It could be a cover up.
articles.latimes.com...
www.commondreams.org...

[edit on 8/28/2009 by concerned190]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

heh ?

not only is the majority of the soldiers out there uneducated and have little or non life experience ,

most who´s out there playing rambo for a federation that lied to them dont have anything in there brain baggage then the indoctrination their goverment gave them.

let alone waiting for em when they come home,
you might have missed that point but i understand your sence of irony in the whole situvation.

these "bad apples" are coming back home you know some day , wuold like them to be the man with the baggage they carry around ?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

lmao awesome

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I didn't see anything regarding sexual misconduct.. they hazed the poor kid (and he was just a kid) because he was over weight. Disgusting treatment, honestly if there is enough to convict these sick bastards for mistreatment and cruelty charges, Imo they should be charged with murder.

The people charged were two sergeants and two staff sergeants, hazing an overweight private fresh out of boot camp. Lowlife scum.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
If I was in the army.......Why would I want to help possibly save somebody's life or watch their back when they spend months torturing me and doing bad things to me...

I'm leaving that person to fend for themselves....Not my fault they are a douchebag.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

not only is the majority of the soldiers out there uneducated and have little or non life experience ,

most who´s out there playing rambo for a federation that lied to them dont have anything in there brain baggage then the indoctrination their goverment gave them.

Actually, the troops serving now are the most educated men and women that have been in the service.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
If I was in the army.......

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
I'm leaving that person to fend for themselves....

THEN WHY BE IN THE ARMY?????????????

[edit on 28-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

sorry must have slipped my mind you have to go to the army inorder to get a degree from a school then go play rambo in the desert.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join