It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio soldier made 2 calls to mom telling of abuse before killing himself

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
That conduct is absolutely unacceptable and what makes it even worse is that it happened in a United States Army infantry unit! Every unit has a weak link and it is the job of the unit commissioned and non-commissioned officers to reign in that weak link with training and counseling. Every person in that unit should have worked with one an another so that their battle buddy could succeed and not through means of taunting, threats, and harsh treatment. Hazing is against military regulations, and has been so, for quite some time. If it is found to be hazing that resulted in this soldier taking his own life; then those responsible will face court martial and prison time. Every man has a breaking point, and apparently Pvt. Wilhelm found his.

It's a shame that he felt he had to end his life as a result of the harsh treatment given to him by those of authority. It's a shame that the chain of command failed him. He should have been able to meet with his superior officer and report the abuses made against him. However, he may have made requests, but those who are guilty; would have seen the documentation and quashed them before ever making it to the superior officer's desk. Those that were in the military know how the chain of command works and how requests are levied when seeking audience with their superior officer. You just can't talk to that person like you would any other in a unit or division; requests must be made through channels.

He should have went to sick call and told someone in medical about what was going on or consulted the chaplain. Whoever is responsible should be dishonorable discharged and sent to prison and any officers should be relieved of command immediately because this is a violation of the chain of command and the very cohesion of a combat infantry unit.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by zerbot565
you gave kids guns who dont have a college degree/s for x sake and told them to go teach the world how to live,

So, having a college degree is something you need prior to handling a weapon???

Never been around too many 2LTs, have you?

Star. Lol, butterbars tell me that ROTC was a joke.

Sad for this guy though, too bad he wasn't a USAF crew chief. Leather skinned, believe me you have to be for this job, I wasn't when I first got on the line, but now it's not too bad that I learned to take it and dish it out.

But on the real though, if it's that bad, he should've told them to stop, or used the chain of command, we just bug on them, unless it really offends them and tell us something and we stop, and we stop. Poor guy

edit: for clarification.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by FantasmaTaans]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I really don't place all the blame on the NCO's (non commissioned officer). The rocks in the pocket was most likely their creative idea for training, or corrective training. The rocks rubbing against the knees or even banging against them was most likely a side effect that was overlooked. Often times when the media reports a story about the military it's seems odd because without the inter knowledge of how things work things seems cruel.

Just because a soldier is not happy in basic training does not mean they are going to do well in their unit. Especially with today's basic training, those of you in the military right now know what I am talking about. The military needs bodies; boots on the ground. Basic training today is not what it was years ago, this is always the case during a time of war.

I don't mean to lack compassion, I just fell like the other side should be pointed out. In all honesty, a private's phone calls to their mother should not be the final say in a wrong doing case against an NCO. Make no mistake, the military trains soldiers for war. In response to a comment in this thread, if a soldier does not look like they can handle things then they are not going to be given a job where they are watching anybody's back. That's just how things work.

I wish the best for this soldier's family and thank the soldier for signing up for the duties the military takes on. This was an unfortunate ending to the situation and I am sure that all the parties involved wish things would have turned out differently.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
he 4 should be brought up on murder charges, and ginve 25 years to life, AND cahrges of disobeying national and federal army laws, AND doing what BUSh and cheney did...torture. SOunds like the 4 in question musta been bush voters*

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I just ha a creepy thought...i wonder if all this bloodshed we here in the news, some of it might be the picked on one in the army until retaliationg, getting revenge on some of the guilty ones, and media is jsut blowing it off as al quida? something to ponder on, i think.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Is there supposed to be an upside to this story?
Is there supposed to be an underlying truth that supercedes the value of this kid's life?

The military is a god awful abomination, that only has a place in the direst case of defense or survival of a nation or people.

Except that it is not used to secure life and liberty but oil contracts and money interests of corporations. It exploits the worst in people to carry out, nameless, faceless murder and torture of whoever gets in the way of the agenda.

And people look for excuses??

There is no good to be found anywhere in this story. No reasons or rationale. It is simply the worst of human nature.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

"

THEN WHY BE IN THE ARMY?????????????"

Well for one thing there are free thinking individuals who would rather serve in the military than to become some academic prostitute that serves no useful purpose, other than to feed BS to young stupid kids who buy into the hype that these pseudo-intellectuals who can't lead productive lives providing some useful service, so they go into academia and are more auto-matrons then those in the military. So if you please spare us the sanctimonious crap.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc80

Your post sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black.!

I don't disagree with your assessment of academia; but I do with your alternative. One is as bad as the other.

There are lots of things a free thinking guy can do to make an honest contribution without either of those two options.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

There is no real upside to this story, the best anyone can offer is a better understanding of why this happened.

The military is a necessity at this point in time. Perhaps at some point in time military's will not be needed but right now they are. This story is no different than any other suicide story where someone is unhappy because of someone else.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
They should just send all the freaking troops home. From both wars. Afghanistan is a sham too.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, I can't agree with you about the military being necessary at this point in time. That need is a total fiction made up by the PTB to suit an illegitimate cause - the well being of big business' international interests.

That very military becomes a cesspool for the types whose moronic and disturbed nature and behaviour causes other people to want to off themselves rather than live with it.

Yah, a really sad reality. Not a necessity, but for sure a reality. I wish more people would question its necessity.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
[edit on 29-8-2009 by Strictsum]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
The military is a god awful abomination, that only has a place in the direst case of defense or survival of a nation or people.

Oh, so your feelings for the military can be summed up easily by this passage by Kipling:

"For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot"

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I think a cross-season quote is more applicable no matter what situation the nation is in.

A quote from Henry Kissinger:

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

If you look at today's current situation, this seems the most truthful.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
If I was in the army.......Why would I want to help possibly save somebody's life or watch their back when they spend months torturing me and doing bad things to me...

I'm leaving that person to fend for themselves....Not my fault they are a douchebag.

You make a good point but when you are hazed time after time, you eventually develop a very strong urge to make the man beasting you (British military calls it that) to have a more positive outlook toward you and in the end you will do pretty much anything to gain his respect.

After a few months you are either, a psychological wreck or you are part of the inner circle because you pushed yourself to the maximum in all requirements to gain that respect.

It is simply all part of a cycle of a very effective indoctrination system but it is open to abuse of course. Example: If your face does not fit, you are screwed to put it bluntly.

They do not call it a factory for nothing, and if you leave that factory overweight and passed fit for posting, then someone failed.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Maybe the punishment could be to get the same treatment to them by the Navy SEALs or something. I 'unno.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Sir
I can appreciate your decisions and opinion on the subject but I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I fear that your under the illusion of utopia that just doesn't exist. To blanket the whole of the military by the actions of a few is a shallow outlook on reality. The very fact that you can jump on a blog and express your opinion or stand on a street corner and lamblast the military or the country is a by-product of those who served and those who even died to give you that right. I know that this sounds like a simplistic answer but sometimes the reality is just that simple.
Enjoy your life & freedom

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc80
The very fact that you can jump on a blog and express your opinion or stand on a street corner and lamblast the military or the country is a by-product of those who served and those who even died to give you that right.

The opposite of what you just said would hold way more truth!

Foreign Occupation = Loss of freedoms at home!

It's time to wack up buddy

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by jerico65

I think a cross-season quote is more applicable no matter what situation the nation is in.

A quote from Henry Kissinger:

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

If you look at today's current situation, this seems the most truthful.

If you believe that then you aren't as smart as you think you are.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I have to ask why was an overweight soldier allowed to graduate from AIT? He should of had to meet physical training and weight standards before finishing AIT. Someone dropped the ball here and I blame TRADOC first and foremost.

Had they done their job and followed regulations the soldier would have never been in the position that he got into.

The second most responsible factor was his unit. They should know better and as such the NCOs should be treated as being malicious in their actions. There is no room for negligence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join