It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do YOU deal with psychological stress?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I love the idea of gathering more 'coping' techniques. You're very right that this world has become increasingly more violent (and TV/movies/video games do have an affect, I believe).

For one; I don't entertain any type of news if I can help it. Of course, there are some people who are determined to talk about the latest 'murder' or what's happening with the war around me.. but I distance myself from them as quickly as possible if they feel a need to go on about it.

Secondly.. MUSIC! Not harsh, self-degreading metal or hip hop either. I'm talking classical, natural and spiritual types.. the kind that really transcend you to higher levels.. and relax you..

Those two are the most important to my wellbeing. Cutting out ALL TV SHOWS and media (such as newspapers, articles and radio) have helped tremendously -- at least 80% -- in ridding my life of unneeded stress..

And laughter! Laughter truly is the best medicine for everything. Find something funny to read or watch everyday.. laugh as much as possible! =)

- Mea

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas Lux Mea

I listen to that screaming and hardcore music alot. I wouldn't call it self degrading so much as it is...well, loud. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what is out there in the music world though. For instance, there is a Genre of music that incorporates all of the Classical sounds into a modern rock setting. It is quite fantastic! I also listen to classical from time to time.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Whenever I'm feeling stressed or I'm having a panic attack I try to bring my mind back to the present and imagine the past and future dropping away leaving only the present. I also find it helpful to repeat a mantra I've learned or think about an inspiring person like Gandhi for example. Listening to music can help as well. It's just a moment, this time will pass (as the U2 song goes).

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

my current method of dealing with stress is kundalini yoga. mainly. if i can start every day with a kundalini yoga session the whole day goes well and things that don't go as planned don't really bother me. i'm more able to go with the flow.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Music. That's it, music - for me sometimes it's hardcore classical, sometimes it's Metallica or Muse or Kula Shaker or The Eels....sometimes it's something that I wouldn't usually listen to - it depends on what's bothering me and whether it's 'big' or trivial.....(sometimes the music makes me feel like I'm a bigger force than I am - music seems like a power-source that I can use to replenish myself with and then some)

"Music tastes likes ambrosia" - me

when I feel really, really down - I listen to The Eels - it kind of makes me feel silly and teen-angsty - and then I think that I'm being silly for feeling so mopey - it's kind of like I'm mocking myself for being so - it's like being given a mocking kick up the ar$e after feeling down.....either that or it makes the world seem like a farce which also helps.

Video games are something else - don't get me wrong - I love computer games but that's more about escapism than anything else - the problem will still be there once you put down that controller.

Edit: for spelling errors

[edit on 21/9/09 by XHellcatX]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

What would everyone consider to be their "escape" from the madness?

Good question.
Heck we did not have video games when I was a kid, things are just as crazy. Ok well pong did come out and there we stood in the wards store watching the little ball go back and forth - would love to have a video clip of us all watching. The dos games, the atari then the rest is history.....

We can not control everything. The tide is still going to roll, we can not tell it how strong or whatever.

We can only control ourselves, our own reality. A escape for me is learning something new, watching a good movie, listening to some music. Even discussing topics with others.

To even think we can control everything.....; just put yourself into a mental ward now.....

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mcgrower

How true your words are. Even when the first video games came out, there was threats of nuclear war. World War 3 etc. This fear mongering has been going on since the end of world war 2 and into today. Only difference is, today we have whiny kids who can't "handle" the stress of the world.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Oh I feel we always had the whinny kids. Isn't whining just a way of dealing with stresses we dont have the tools for? Or have not been taught to deal with?

Go to the children's hospital some day, what a eye opener for me as a parent of a disabled child. Some of the kids were the strongest people I have ever came across to this day, and they were kids!!

I have noticed all generations blame everything on what is popular at that time. In the big picture it is all just spilled milk, topical.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have several coping techniques dealing with madness.

1. High-intensity interval training until I want to pass out.

2. Megatouch gaming until I can feel my brain beginning to boil.

3. Adaptogens. Eluthero, American ginseng, gotu kola, bacopa.

4. The most important, and beneficial is allowing the anger to build...

Not caring is a sign of apathy. I despise the notion. Madness is a product of care. Madness brings way for creativity, insight, intuition, etc..Without madness their would be no genius.

Learn from your madness. Direct the immense energy towards self-growth.

Don't deny the madness. Don't act like it doesn't matter, or has no point. It is the main potentiator of growth. Those who deny madness deny their self.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

Lose your care, without losing compassion.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Be a nothing, and don't care - that's my recommendation.

Apathy, or a lack of care, is antagonistic to empathy.

Seeing as empathy is a component to compassion, it would seem that compassion and a lack of care (apathy) would be mutually exclusive.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I would suggest buying a copy of Ableton Live, music production software. it's very easy to use and help you create music. better than any computer game. you are limited by your own creativity. I always suggest this program to people as compared with many Music production software, ableton is very intuitive and you can use it how you like, recording your own musical performances and recreating tracks you already have.

www.ableton.com

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

I always like the other bit I read somewhere; -

"and give the ability to change the things I cannot accept"

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I listen to music, eat all the chocolate I can stuff in my face, drink coffee, crochet something , Thank My creator for blessings already given, remind myself that its all been a lie, perhaps take a nap, place a boquet of flowers by my computer to smell often, Tell someone I love that I love them, groom my dog, go shopping. There is a lot to be said for the big "O" as well.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I would suggest buying a copy of Ableton Live, music production software. it's very easy to use and help you create music. better than any computer game. you are limited by your own creativity. I always suggest this program to people as compared with many Music production software, ableton is very intuitive and you can use it how you like, recording your own musical performances and recreating tracks you already have.

www.ableton.com

I may do just that. I used to have a whole bunch of audio tracks that I used in Acid to create music loops but it was pretty crude.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Just listened to this today and loved it!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join