It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do YOU deal with psychological stress?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Something occured to me today. What would be the healthiest way to deal with our decaying world? Seems that video games continue to rise in popularity in ALL age ranges. But for me, Video games just don't quite do it. I go to work everyday, I pay my bills and I deal with what needs to be dealt with first. But I really do not like the way our world is going. And video games was a solution for a long time. Seems even video games are not sufficient anymore.

With the rise of violence in the world, the content of entertainment continues to get more violent as well. Psychologically this is creating a more violent population. It is like a domino effect and I see no end in sight.

I grow tired of this world and even more tired with the world of Video games. Literature and writing my OWN worlds seems to have done the trick.

I have heard from many counselors that writing things down often alleviates alot of stress, pain, depression etc. Never believed it up until about 2 months ago. Since then I have become involved with alot of writing outlets here on ATS as well as some outside of the site.

The point in this thread is to ask this:
What would everyone consider to be their "escape" from the madness? Mine is literature and music. Creating my own worlds seems to be more than sufficient to keep me a happy person.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Lose your care, without losing compassion.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Be a nothing, and don't care - that's my recommendation.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Meditation is my answer. Whatever form you want it to take, it's far and away the best of all worlds. It can be based on any of the Eastern disciplines but it can just as well be in the form of walking, swimming or building a ship in a bottle. The only requirement is that it be an activity that allows you to quiet the mind, to empty it. I meditate when I wash dishes, or do the ironing, or while I'm driving (but I'm quite advanced so don't start with this one!). There are few times that I can't switch into meditation mode. Interestingly though, most of what we do, we could do better and easier if we just took time for a brief meditation before beginning said task. It really is amazing.

Be gentle with yourself in the beginning. Let yourself fall asleep now and again. Sometimes there are long stretches of time that pass with what appears to be nothing but naps. But there is work being done.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Mine are walking while listening my own thoughts and observing my surroundings. I love to walk and sense everything on my ambient: smells, colours, people, nature, animals, the city... everything haves something amazing that can be write later into a nice tale or song. Oh that's another way I have to feel better with myself and the world: writing.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I have done the meditation thing and will admit that it is quite effective. But even though I know it has worked to calm me and make me feel better, I get a sense that time has been wasted. Not sure why. I guess writing would be my form of meditation now. Cause once I start writing something, everything else disappears and I can only see what I am writing.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Go inside yourself. It's amazing what you'll find there. That's just one of the many reasons I do it. External experiences can't compare. It is the "antithesis" of the external world, for want of a better word. You find more of what's out there, in there.

Clear as mud, isn't it? lol

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I find astronomy and electric guitar VERy useful to me. working out, bike riding, things like that. video games are only a temp thing. In one sense, yuo can be playign the game, and not winning, and get angry again.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
For me, its just do some exercise, and know that the people that wrecked my life, are the ones that make society the rubbish state it is in.

Society only wants rubbish, keep telling yourself that.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
get worries off ur mind by doing something else.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

wow...your post made me miss my guitar suddenly. Haven't touched it in months. I think I will go play now

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Scream in a pillow, Sing, Dance, Write, run, exercise, listen to music, have a bath, relaxation techniques and taking to someone.

I am sure there's more.

I'll tell you that you shouldn't take it out on yourself.
Though lots of people do via cutting, fasting, binging, purging, drinking, drugs...etc.
This only perpetuates bad feelings.

Talking to people can be a tricky way to deal because some people may be having a bad day and may not want to listen, and this could make you feel worse. So, I wouldn't recommend being dependent on people...though you could call a toll free crisis line or something (those people are paid to listen
).

I am not sure playing video games is a safe way of coping (maybe a non violent games could be). I would never want something like that to lead a person to want to actually inflict pain on another being.

We all have to deal with our emotions (they're like the weather) and other frustrations. But, we all have the power to deal with these issues in a way that's safe for everybody.

Looking within to deal/cope with issues can be a good, interesting journey to take like meditation or yoga. But sometimes being silent with yourself may not be such a good idea depending on how you feel...and possibly for some writing out all your frustrations can make the stress worse because seeing them out there in front of you can make you feel overwhelmed.

Just find out what works for you, but know there are lots of things you can do to deal with stress.
And it should be dealt with because it's a very serious problem if you keep it all in. It can do physical damage not to mention being on edge/irritable.

This is a great question. Glad your asking it. Shows much strength to reach out and figure this stuff out.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Before2017Victor]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I wrote the following on another board (which shall remain nameless) in response to a similar question. Hopefully it might be of some interest here:

There is a lifetime of reading in the Great Books alone, and thousands are free on the net or at your library. Teach yourself history, philosophy, whatever. Can't find anyone in the real world you like? Make Aristotle or Lao Tsu your new best friend.

Or, cultivate a hobby that is complex enough to keep you from being bored, but not so difficult as to cause anxiety. Something that can be honed over many years. Violin, woodworking, zen archery, rock-climbing...things you can do in solitude and that also involve focus. Become a chess-master.

Psychological studies have shown that CONCENTRATION and FOCUS in one's activities are what bring true happiness in life, more than how many people you know or how many material posesssions you have. Everyone knows that feeling of being so engrossed in something that when you look up, you can't believe how many hours have passed. Your brain is keyed up, but strangely calm, and things may suddenly "make sense" in a universal way. The more you cultivate that feeling, the happier you will be as a human. There are many ways to access it...reading, writing and learning, or something more physical...this is where happiness lies.

Along with this, learn to grasp that we have always lived in an imperfect world and that for most of history, life has been miserable. Even the most learned scholars of medieval times had access to less info than you do at the click of a mouse. Even the most powerful medieval aristocrat lived a life rough by today's middle-class standards. To say nothing of the masses, which spent most of history hauling bricks or sifting grain before falling asleep in their rat-infested dirt-floor huts. Study history and you'll appreciate how good we've got it. History is great because it simultaneously opens your eyes to how awful life in general can be, and it allows you to aprreciate what we've got today.

Lastly, they say the average person thinks four negative thoughts for each positive one...a level associated with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Pretty much everyone is living with a low-grade case of PTSD, so go easy on yourself and be wide-thinking and tolerant of others. Don't close your eyes to the horrors of the world, but try not to wallow in them, and work at developing an appreciation of the beauty and depth all around us. Again, do things involving FOCUS and CONCENTRATION.

[edit on 8/25/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
All the above. As Platipus says, put your mind onto something else

sounds simple, but it works.

Get busy. Mow the lawn. Paint a wall. Clean the bathrooms. Clean the refrigerator. Remove all rubbish from around the house. Tackle one room at a time and get rid of half the 'stuff' .. give it away .. put it on ebay.

Physical movement: walking, running, jogging, swimming, skipping

Meditate by lying on the ground and exploring the gaps between the leaves of trees above.

Watch clouds

Listen to music .. try to isolate one instrument and follow that through while the rest sinks into the background

Take a trek .. to a park, on a train, into the bush, into an area you haven't walked before

Make a point of smiling and saying 'Good day' to every second person you see

Stare at something .. anything .. an egg if you like. Relax, breathe evenly, make that egg the focus of your concentration as you gently push all other thoughts to the side

Pretend your mind is a windscreen and every time a thought comes up on that windscreen ... gently use imaginary windshield wipers to erase the thought

Close your eyes and count backwards from 100 .. seeing the numbers on the screen of your mind before they're replaced by the next ... 100 -- gone, 99 -- gone, 98 -- gone ....

Study a painting or illustration. It's nice to study illustrations in children's books. Let yourself be a child again as you study the brightly coloured pictures

Create your own, imaginary 'place'. It can be a secluded spot high on a hill. Or it can be a clear lagoon on your own, private island. Maybe you'd like to have your own, invisible cave tucked into the trunk of a large protective tree ? Or maybe your cave is situated in an ice mountain.

No-one can get into your cave. It's yours. Fill it with whatever you like .. minimalism might appeal to those who live in crowded apartments. Or perhaps it's an Alladin's cave, filled with sumptuous cushions, silks and bright colours.

Take yourself to your cave by following your own, magic path.

No one can hurt you while you're in your special place. You are totally safe and protected. You can spend as long or as short there as you like .. even while you're on a crowded train or waiting in a queue in a busy bank with someone breathing garlic fumes all over you.

You find tricks, methods, to get you through.

The world will never be perfect, will never suit everyone.

You have to live in the world, but you're allowed to take time-out. Your mind is your own and you can create your 'perfect world' there. It will refresh and relax you and will give you the strength you need to survive all those things that upset you.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Music.....works for me everytime

Set the mood, dim the lights, choose gentle music ,close your eyes and relax.
I have a collection of soundscape cd's covering many moods of nature from rain forest sound effects, to temple bells, waves laping on to rocks & many more 'sedative' soundscape effects. The trick is to channel these effects and take yourself on a journey and wash the stress from your mind.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
For me it's skateboarding, biking, art, photography, hip hop, cooking, mechanics/building motorbikes, and just learning and discovering new things.

It doesn't matter what you do, as any and all of these activities are simply vehicles with which to traverse the path. You could LITERALLY walk the path if you're into walking, running, hiking, parkour, or other forms of bipedal locomotion. During the cool months i do a LOT of trail running, a 20 mile and 2300' climb starting a mile high at night, done in under 4 hours will relieve stress. It'll also remind you of what you're capable of. For me that's a walk in the park now but it used to be a real test when i started.

Like i said, it doesn't matter the vehicle, as long as you travel the path.

So what is the path?
Zen in the Art of Archery

Best book i've read that actually illustrates what the path is.

That said, if you have multiple vehicles it helps to travel further on the path more often. Sometimes art is my expression, sometimes art isn't and ripping up the skatepark is. Sometimes it's rapping, freestyle and rap battle, for that you've really gotta look at it like a mental martial art. Sometimes it's bikes, ripping up the park , freeriding, or motocross. I don't ride powered much because gas is evil and i don't want to use it, but once in a while i'll go out and shred
I'm a cook and a mechanic, so i get to practice even at both of my jobs, where i'm always challenged to succeed and it gets me in the zone. An 8 hour shift at work is like a day in the skatepark to me, i get to cook or build or boardslide something, it's all good. And art, i just started with paints and drawing and physical medium stuff a few months ago, but have done digital stuff for a long time. I also make sure i stock plenty of spraypaint, cause there's a lot of walls out there that need some graffitit art (not tags, or even words or symbols, but murals). I've hooked up a bunch of pieces locally to cover up silly stuff like wannabe kid "gang" tags and crudely drawn genitalia. It's urban renewal as i'm cleaning it up and i get to bust skill. The cops even know me and don't stop me if i'm painting.

Whatever you do, just do it without hesitation, get in your zone and flow and you'll be cool.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
good thread mr toodles

personally i like to just spend time alone and ponder things,this helps me clear my head alot,im pretty fragile emotionally and get drained so so quick and i need time by myself,its how ive always coped and really is best for me even though i get told different by the doctor

absolutely love stuff like batman,x men,spawn,hellboy etc love to indulge in cartoons from when i was a kid aswell which i have a big collection of and fantasy stuff like prince valiant/middle age stuff,films etc.

I do love a good game though like half life or oblivion and eagerly await the new batman arkham asylum game on friday.

its weird because i kind of grew up fast then reached 20 and now i kind of live like a big kid with the things i enjoy its like i grew up backwords

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What gets me is that some people actually enjoy hearing of the horrible nature of the bad things that go on in the world. So far everyone has given me great insight into this question. The main theme being "Go someplace else in your head". And yet I have known people in my life that only want to dwell on the bad things. Makes no sense

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i love to walk in nature, talk to friends, write poetry, dance, go to gym ... or be unhealthy and say f**k it and eat lots of cake, chocolate and drink coffee!!!!!!

ps

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pantherstar

COFFEE AND CAKE! WOOHOO! I love those too lol.

second line

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My wife has a “high stress” career and I do as well; so at times stressors were higher than they should be at home.

I have been practicing traditional Chinese martial arts since high school (I’m in my 40+’s now) and that has been my stress relief as such. With that goes diet, getting students ready for competition, a regimented schedule of meditation, focus, philosophy, exercise, stretching etc.

No matter how tired I am on any given day, I leave with more energy and solace. I convinced my wife to start a few years back and her stress levels are near zero compared to what they once were.

It’s a matter of finding an outlet that addresses the stressors and provides a means to conquer it daily or hourly if necessary….learn how to calm oneself while in the face of stress or antagonism.

My 2 cents.

mg

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join