It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spend A Day In The Woods!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
We truly live in a beautiful world.

My husband and I decided this morning take a nature hike. We started just down the road from where we live. For nearly 5 hours we hiked through the woods, crossed running streams and creeks, climbed bluffs, slid down slopes on our rumps, and sat on a small sandy beach. I saw wild flowers of every shape and size and color. Red ones, yellow ones, various shades of purple and pink ones. Foiliage on the forest floor that I had never seen or rather noticed before. The air would vary from sweet from the flowers and honeysuckle to musty and dank in the thickly wooded areas where the sun could not penetrate the thick canopy of oak, sycamore, maple and various other trees. The pungent odor of rotting logs and at one point I got a powerful whiff of something that strongly resembled cucumber. The gentle sound of the water in the stream rolling over logs and sticks that had fallen into the water...what a soothing sound. I couldn't help at one point but to think that our ancestors at one point would have had no second thoughts about bending down and taking a drink of the spring fed water that I was standing and gazing at.
We saw much sign of animal life. Deer tracks, turkey, squirrel and raccoon. We saw turtles and snakes and frogs. Of course I have to mention the many different bird calls and songs that we heard. In this world of doze it down and build something, I highly recommend stepping out your front door and exploring the life and world that exsists right in your own back yard. If you live in the city, take a ride to the country. We got permission from the landowner to walk, and most people will let you if you ask and tell them that you just want to explore nature. I carry a backpack and water, and we leave nothing behind. Who knows how much longer the woods that we have will last. It is almost a spiritual experience to be in the woods and see all the beauty that is there that so often goes unnoticed!!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
very nice, i love spending time on the beach ( especially at night ).

Once i stayed out in the "woods" while in Europe for a few weeks, great experience, it was part of a meditation journey.

people are losing touch with what we once knew and where, once its lost it can never be rediscovered...at least not without tremendous effort.

i agree

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Very true! I have a deer that I have bottled raised, and she went with us last week to the woods and down into the creek...you talk about beautiful to watch! She splashed and played and bucked and carried on. I was in awe just watching her! She was less than a week old when she was found in the city. Not sure what happened to her mother. I was called and asked if I would raise her. It has been a blessing! The more trees that are cut down, the more habitat we are losing for these beautiful creatures!

Ps! I love that cat eating corn!!!!

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Going outdoors and enjoying nature are dying diversions. My pop was a avid hunter so I spent a lot of time hiking and camping. Never took to it like he wanted but I still love the outdoors day or nite each for different reasons.

I know this one spot near where I live were at nite you can gaze up at the stars and really see them! Its on a hill with no houses near-by and very little traffic. Makes you feel alive!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
There is a place just like that across the road from my house! I love to stargaze!!

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What a beautiful post Greenize!!! I just adore nature and animals. There are so many beautiful places that we can go to and feel the serenity of the place.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I often wonder how many people have never been in the woods. It is such a serene place full of wonder and beauty. All of the senses come to life. The sights and sounds and smells...all the different textures. Like for instance, today I lost my footing and grabbed a handful of sting weed. I went right down the bluff and grabbed a handful of dry sand and scrubbed the tiny spines out of my hand. It was fabulous!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I too believe being in nature, the woods, hiking, can be very spiritual! I live in the city now and miss being able to do things like this without having to share a small patch of park with lots of other people.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I was raised in the country, and could not imagine not being able to enjoy the woods! Hopefully you will get to do some exploring again someday soon!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Thank you. My goal is to move right out of this city as soon as possible. I really really miss stargazing the most, light pollution should be illegal.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Oh I agree with you 100 percent! I love the night sky and do not take for granted that I can sit on the deck in my back yard in total darkness and enjoy it!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Invigorating read.
I love the woods and don't spend nearly as much time exploring as I did when I was little.
I need to get back out there. But it's been rainy lately.
You may have just inspired me to do so.
Thank you.
~~

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Thank you and I am pleased that you feel inspired to go and enjoy some of natures finest! It truly is soothing!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I don't like bug though>

Specially skeeters. YEEECH!!
Gotta bring some Peppermint Oil.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Me either! I sprayed down before we went and had my jeans tucked into my boots. I did however pick a tick off of my sleeve... now those are some pesky little buggers!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have to tell this story...talk about an interesting and somewhat exciting spectacle...last year, we were hiking and I had just stood back upright after having to crawl under a downed tree( we were in a creek bed)... upon standing, I see right in front of me not three steps ahead, two snakes... at first I thought they were fighting...it turned out that the one snake was eating the other. As a woman that isn't fond of snakes, I couldn't help but stand there and watch as the scene unfolded...it was kind of neat! You never know what you might see that is for sure!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Beautiful description of your walk and the area! I would not know how to live if I could not see mountians in my background, and have the chance to play on them. I love to camp, hike, fish, and just plain have day adventures climbing around on the mountians. Sometimes we go hike into the woods and find streams and pan for gold, we have never found any, but that just isn't really the point of it!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Natural earth places can be quite scary to those who are not familiar.
Most people, I dare say, are not familiar with our natural environment,
This reminds me of an event a few years ago. My daughter invited a friend to spend the weekend with us. Mind you, we live near a small city. This friend had never been outside the city at night. WTF? Anyway, the girl looked at the sky and was amazed. She had never seen so many stars. For me, this night sky is dim, compared to what I have seen in the middle of the desert in Saudi Arabia. The girl was excited for a while. Then the whole situation scared her. No lights. Darkness. Suddenly the trees seemed to close for her. There were the usual night animal sounds. This scared her. She started to comment that there might be bears and coyotes and wolves. OOOOOOOOOOOOh. scary. Really, her reactions amazed me, not having been raised in cities or even towns. Yeah, I have lived in such places from time to time.
This girl called her mom, so her mom would pick her up and take her home, because nature scared her too much.

I guess if SHTF, then I will be safe here in the country, because most city dwellers will be too scared to venture forth into nature.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Thank you!
I do envy you the mountains!! I wish we lived around some. They are so awe inspiring!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I met a couple a few years ago that had just moved here to Kentucky from New York. The man loved it, but his wife hated it and he had to move her back to NY. She said the people were too nice and it was to quiet at night. She was terrified of the country!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join