It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spend A Day In The Woods!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
camping, being in the woods is sucj an awesome, mond cleaning experince, i truley beieve it is healthy, spiritualy and physically. Getting back to basics, re learning what is aorund you, the peace of it all, clean air, in touch with nature again. I spent alot of time around our small area of woods as a kid and teens, Mostly during the summer of course. thies nothing like like it almost, next to sex! its peaceful! On a similar note..thiers also a small park, thas swampland. Know the woods like the back of my hand almost. The bridge, at least hen i was 13, had black widows under it, some of which almsot fell on me. thiers sink mud spots. A friend once stepped into it, and was stuck up to his wasite in black mud..took so uch effort and time to pull him out. Thiers skun cabbage, as wel call it. weird green cabbage looking plants, but if yuo beat them or break them the are smells like a skunk sparyed. SO on rare occassions, the woods does suck

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The woods aren't for sissies thats for sure!
As for sinking, we always carry a "hook" with us. We use it for climbing steep bluffs. Throw it up, give it a tug and pull ourselves up. It has come in handy in pulling us out of mud too!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by phi1618

Very true! I have a deer that I have bottled raised, and she went with us last week to the woods and down into the creek...you talk about beautiful to watch! She splashed and played and bucked and carried on. I was in awe just watching her! She was less than a week old when she was found in the city. Not sure what happened to her mother. I was called and asked if I would raise her. It has been a blessing! The more trees that are cut down, the more habitat we are losing for these beautiful creatures!

I liked your post but I wanted to make a point about habitat. Cutting down trees does not neccesarily mean lost habitat for deer or many other animals. Much wildlife thrives in the border areas that we have created through farming and land clearing.
Where I live now at the edge of a city I have a park and a swamp behind my house. I see 10x the wildlife here than I did where I used to live in a 5,000 acre woods. It seems paradoxical but it's true. Deer and other animal populations are heavier in suburban areas than they are in forests.

Forests are an essential part of the ecology and I agree that they need to be preserved. But a deep woods doesn't have much food value for animals aside from nuts. Old growth forest loss is why many songbird species are disappearing though.

Nature is everywhere, while a walk in a woods with big trees is great
there's nature everywhere and we should appreciate all of it. if you can't make it out to the big woods see whats around the edges of you suburban areas, you'll be amazed.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

True and I didn't mean deep woods only. Of course we have left them small strips of woods here and there and usually along highways...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Here in the UK theres still surprisingly large amounts of forests and Mountains (especially in Scotland) aswell as the Lake District and Wales.
I live in the Peak District so im still fortunate that although in summer we get the hill-walkers, in winter I have the valleys ALL to myself.
Ive gone on walks in knee-deep snow through Hail Storms and sheltered on hill-tops braving out the cold winter showers knowing it was either me or Nature which was going to win. I love it being in the hills, walking for 11 hours at times and only ever seeing 3 people (if that) at the most.
Winter is always when everything is hibernating so it literally feels like im the last person on Earth and nature is trying to rid me off the land aswell theres no words that can describe the rush when your being buffeted by 30mph winds on a 500ft ridge with only a small path to walk along.
Of course theres the flip-around in summer when everything is alive, the animals are out and the smell of fresh flowers and grass fills the air, the hot summer sun touching my neck, reminding me to put yet more suncream on.
Where I live is an abundance of places from Peatland, to towering Cliffs, Forests and lowlands. All this just 15 miles away from the smog-filled city of Manchester.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I remember more than once taking a hike to the top of a mountain called Old Ragtop in West Virginia. It was no small task this trip. Uphill, all day. The beauty and wonder of it all will resonate with me for eternity. I feel I am fortunate to have these memories. I love the outdoors and anything associated with it. On two of those trips I spent the night at the top. The stars seemed so close that you could grab them with your fingertips and rearrange them. It was an entirely different world. Thanks for making me remember Greenize! Star and flag my friend.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Too right.......... all people care about is cash so they continue building and knocking down our nature!!!

I took a bus ride a couple of weeks ago into the forest....... great!!

The fresh air is great!!

Everything about wildlife is great!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nature is my prozac~! I love the trees and nature.

Our place (just 3 acres of land) is mostly wooded. The only parts that aren't are the area that my SO cleared to put in the mobile home and the sheds/parking area's.

It's pretty amazing. I was just telling him today (and have told him in the past) that I don't want to knock down the trees on the back acre. I want it left just the way it is. My reason? (Besides being a tree lover) During the winter deer sleep out in that back acre. They eat the nuts that fall from the trees. We can look out our sliding glass doors and watch them. I LOVE it! And during the rest of the year, you can see groundhogs, squirrels, birds, chipmunks (they're so cute!) and all sorts of other wildlife out there.

To me, knowing that it is a habitat that natures creatures inhabit, I don't want to do the slightest thing to destroy it. We can easily build on the parts that are already cleared with minimal disturbance to any of the remaining trees on the front two acres!

Plus, I love walking out there. The smells, sounds and the "feeling" of peace is just soo soothing and relaxing to me.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

I was sitting in my back yard one day on the picnic table eating some corn chips and a chipmunk came down the tree, onto the table and snatched himself a chip! It was cute. Nature is awesome isn't it!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

No "woods" where I live Greenize, but I applaud your zest for nature. We have bush. Lots of it. It begins 20 yards out our back door, and we love it! No light pollution here, and few things are as fortifying as a jaunt through the bush, onto the bluff, maybe see an iguana or two; always certain to spy a few parrots.

I think your thread exemplifies the basic things that we take for granted. A trip to the mountains is something that every child should become familiar with. I grew up in huge mountains and while I wouldn't choose to live there now, there were a myriad of life lessons that were learned within them.

the Beach......... my front yard. No sand there, though -- this is a rough and sharp-spiked island. I think if a week went by without me being in the sea, I would surely wither and die.

The things we learn while making ourselves vulnerable to nature.... those are things that might later save our lives, or at least our sanity. Thank you for this thread

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Here's a flag from someone who doesn't have to walk to be in the wild... I literally live in it!

I've lived in the city... it was terrible. Sirens all hours of the day and night, crime, people everywhere you went. There was nowhere to be alone and think. Even inside my house I could hear the hustle and bustle outside.

I'm back home now, and none of that. If there's a siren, it means we jump up and check on the relatives. Chances are, it's about one of them. No boomboxes unless someone is throwing a party, and we are invited (although I rarely go anymore). No crime; I don't even have a lock on my front door. The last theft was 25 years ago, and I took a shot at the guy.

There's this deer that comes down out of the mountain and eats apples from a tree in my front yard. I love venison, but that deer is safe while she's around that tree. I'll shoot anyone who takes a shot at her. There's something soothing about watching her gingerly tip-toe in and cautiously pick those apples off the ground. I have spent hours just sitting as still as I could so I wouldn't spook her while I watched her. She's truly a magnificent creature.

There's no pollution, and no lights at night, save one security light my mother uses not too far away. I can see thousands upon thousands of stars clearly. The only sounds are the tree frogs and crickets singing away. And after a rain, the smell of the air... indescribable.

Have you ever sat in a lawn chair and watched the sun rise over the mountains? Have you seen the purple majesty of that sky as it begins to lighten? Have you seen it shame those puny lights we use to see at night, and pride ourselves in? Have you felt the first rays of sunlight as they bounce around and light the wonders we live among? If not, get yourself out to the country and watch one. But leave your city ways at home, please.

I really took all of this for granted way too much until I spent those few years living inside a city. Now I notice them, and am thankful for them.

And for threads like this that make me remember what's right outside my window.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Beautifully stated! I love sunrise and sunset and only wish I lived near some mountains. I live near both the mississippi and Ohio river so deer are plentiful in the region and I have sat on my porch and watched them go into the neighbors yard at night under the floodlight and eat from her apple trees. I get to kiss a deer everyday. She is very gentle and loving. I raised her and she still thinks sometimes that she can get in my lap!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

That's beautiful. I hope you realize how truly blessed you are to be able to commune with another species on so basic a level. I believe that you do. You and TheRedneck [and others] express an appreciation for the simple things that (to me) make life vibrant.

I spent about 14 years overall in the city setting. It was horrible, and it was insightful. I would never choose to go there again, much as I miss concerts and live sports events.

When I swim, if I see a Spotted Eagle Ray, it makes my whole week, and I often swim with them, ever mindful of the tailspike. I've actually witnessed an Eagle Ray crunching a mature Queen Conch in its mouth to get to the meat. Wonderous. I couldn't do the same thing so expeditiously with a 10-pound maul on land.

These are the moments that make us feel alive and connected.

edit to add [and others]

[edit on 23/8/09 by argentus]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
"UP! up! my Friend, and quit your books;
Or surely you'll grow double:
Up! up! my Friend, and clear your looks;
Why all this toil and trouble?

The sun, above the mountain's .,
A freshening lustre mellow
Through all the long green fields has spread,
His first sweet evening yellow.

Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife:
Come, hear the woodland linnet,
How sweet his music! on my life,
There's more of wisdom in it.

And hark! how blithe the throstle sings!
He, too, is no mean preacher:
Come forth into the light of things,
Let Nature be your teacher.

She has a world of ready wealth,
Our minds and hearts to bless--
Spontaneous wisdom breathed by health,
Truth breathed by cheerfulness.

One impulse from a vernal wood
May teach you more of man,
Of moral evil and of good,
Than all the sages can.

Sweet is the lore which Nature brings;
Our meddling intellect
Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things:--
We murder to dissect.

Enough of Science and of Art;
Close up those barren leaves;
Come forth, and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives."

William Wordsworth, 1798

[edit on 23-8-2009 by CRB86]

[edit on 23-8-2009 by CRB86]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

That must have been an awesome thing to witness! And to swim with them...just wow!! I feel very blessed to have "Dixie". I have never pinned her up. She free ranges all over the place and comes home every morning and again in the evening to get her hugs and kisses.... I have raised all kinds of orphaned animals and they always end up looking to me as if I am their mother... its a special feeling!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

Thank you for sharing that!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by argentus

That must have been an awesome thing to witness! And to swim with them...just wow!! I feel very blessed to have "Dixie". I have never pinned her up. She free ranges all over the place and comes home every morning and again in the evening to get her hugs and kisses.... I have raised all kinds of orphaned animals and they always end up looking to me as if I am their mother... its a special feeling!!

How awesome, animal lovers are my favorite kinds of people.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

I think that animals are very misunderstood. They are so willing to be loved and give love! I once found a naked baby bird! Ugly little sucker! Once his feathers came in...I could tell it was a Blue Jay. He went everywhere with me. He even "squawked" at my mom on the phone!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I love nature, my daughter and I camped for 6 months, we worked

during the day, and spent nights around the campfire, its so quiet

after dark, all you hear is nature, truly relaxing.

When the moon is full, the woods light up, and they seem transparent.

take some time and enjoy nature!!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Just be careful, we had friends that were in a wooded area..... when the family got out of area our friend found a TICK on him...he and his wife removed it then he started to get sick................11 days later he was dead. The Doctor's did test and said it was from the Tick bite he received.

He was a healthy 56 year old man that loved life and we are shocked beyond belief.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join