It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Growing Homegrown Tobacco

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Some Growing Homegrown Tobacco

news.yahoo.com

RICHMOND, Va. – Something unusual is cropping up alongside the tomatoes, eggplant and okra in Scott Byars' vegetable garden — the elephantine leaves of 30 tobacco plants.

Driven largely by ever-rising tobacco prices, he's among a growing number of smokers who have turned to their green thumbs to cultivate tobacco plants to blend their own cigarettes, cigars and chew. Byars normally pays $5 for a five-pack of cigars and $3 for a tin of snuff; the seed cost him $9.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
"I want to get to where I don't have to go to the store and buy tobacco, but I'll just be able to supply my own from one year to the next," Byars said.

In urban lots and on rural acres, smokers and smokeless tobacco users are planting Virginia Gold, Goose Creek Red, Yellow Twist Bud and dozens of other tobacco varieties.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
From the article:

Some growers contend their tobacco concoctions are safer than commercial products, which have a stew of additives ranging from colorings and oils to ammonia.

"The quick answer to that is no," said Thomas Glynn, director of cancer science and trends at the American Cancer Society. Glynn knew of only one study of the health risks of homegrown and commercial blends — and it concluded no difference in safety between the two.

Really? So all those things are NATURAL in a tobacco plant?.

Then why are they called additives?

What a buffoon.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Wonder if the seeds are easy to grow? Great idea! The taxes on ciggarettes are insane!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
From the article:

Some growers contend their tobacco concoctions are safer than commercial products, which have a stew of additives ranging from colorings and oils to ammonia.

Really? So all those things are NATURAL in a tobacco plant?.

Then why are they called additives?

What a buffoon.

Maybe this will help...

Some growers contend their tobacco concoctions are safer than commercial products,

commercial products, which have a stew of additives

I think that's how you're supposed to read.
The people aren't growing the commercial finished product, which has the additives listed, it's clearly stating that they're growing something without all that.

Boy this website sometimes...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
yes tobacco is quite easy to grow but it like lots of sun but is easy to grow in a garden the process of getting it ready take quite a bit of effort to get right
it needs to cure for quite a while at least couple months but as the plants grow the bottom leaves dry up and can be sampled while it grows
they get quite pretty flowers on top and can produce 10,000 seeds or more a plant so you only have to buy seeds once
the seeds are incredibly small smaller than a poppy seed size

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Wonder if the seeds are easy to grow? Great idea! The taxes on cigarettes are insane!

Easy to grow I reckon so Night Star,in fact once planted tobacco is a noxious weed.
Here we go
years ago I had stables and every year the council would turn up unannounced on private property,pull out any tobacco and poison the area around the new growth which was not smart with at times 25 horses stabled from racing Quarter horses to Dressage and Shetlands.

I chopped up a dried leaf once and had a puff there was no joy in that I tell you it was so strong so I guess you have to put some whale fat
into it or something mixed with it.Quick thought boiled and dried to lower the strength.

I was told that in older days stockman would use tobacco to worm their horse's.

I think the Fed's will be all over you if you grow some cause it's the Golden Egg of Taxes.

Zelong.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Excuse me but the Tobacco plant is incredibly poisonous and it can make other plants like tomatoes grown near it toxic as well.

The leaves also need to be cured aka dried before they can be used.

People who grow tobacco in their vegetable gardens put themselves at risk for severe nicotine poisoning.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by grover]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sooner or later the feds will com a' knockin'

It isnt called the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms for nothing.

They bust stills of corn whiskey they'll torch your garden of chew. "Personal use" is defined by the folks with the guns and the prisons. If they claim you giving a homemade smoke to a buddy is a marketplace activity you're up Ruby Ridge creek and they'll shoot your wife, dog and son because they feel like it.

The feds will crush the "tobacco rebellion" just like they did the Whiskey Rebellion.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
What bothers me to no end is this:

What is the reasoning behind the illegality of growing tobacco?
Why is it an ATF issue?

We are supposed to live in a FREE country. So we should be able to grow whatever we want. As long as we don't sell it.

Maybe previous generations ruined it for future generations, trying to bootleg alcohol and tobacco for a profit.

I think I answered my own question. sigh

[edit on 20-8-2009 by havok]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

The guy said that home grown is not safer than commercial.

I want to know why not?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I live in the south, from North Carolina down you find Tobacco plants all over the fields in the south.

So the surprise here in the article is that now the northern states are also growing them.

After all the best temperature to grow them is the southern humid and hot weather.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

It's not the bootleggers. It goes way back 1791 when the new federal government levied a tax on whiskey to fund itself. To tax it it had to be regulated. Regulation meant federal intrusion in the lives and property of private citizens. This brought with it layers of corruption, bribery, blackmail, and a black market.

Since alcohol has always been seen as "wrong" by a segment of the population government could be guaranteed of some level of support for the tax based on the grounds of "they deserve to pay for their poison" or a philosophy of "sticking it" to you perceived "enemy." Supporters who would cheer should the fed move in and start shooting people.

Same for tobacco.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
What bothers me to no end is this:

What is the reasoning behind the illegality of growing tobacco?

Here in the UK it is legal to grow as much tobacco as you like, however it is still subject to heavy taxation - even if it is only for personal use. Legalised extortion and then some...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
here in the US, it is not illegal to grow your own tobacco, distill your own hooch, or to grow *snip*

Mod Edit: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites. – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

ummmm.. also eggplant has nicotine in it ..

...didj00kno?

-

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

"The quick answer to that is no," said Thomas Glynn, director of cancer science and trends at the American Cancer Society. Glynn knew of only one study of the health risks of homegrown and commercial blends — and it concluded no difference in safety between the two.

One study with probably questionable methodology.

C Everett Koop has said many of the lung cancer deaths from smoking are caused by polonium-210, a radioactive isotope that finds its way into commerical tobacco as a result of big agri-tobacco fertilizer.

MBF

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I've grown tobacco all my life, but stopped about 5 years ago. Cigarettes are a mix of three different types of tobacco along with lots of additives that are not as horrible as everybody thinks. Did you know that the tobacco industry was the largest consumer of chocolate? I've been in cigarette factories and even in the area where all the "secrete" additives were. I was in one of the areas before the names on the additives were changed. You would be surprised how many of the additives you could pick up at the local grocery store.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've been handrolling tobacco for five years and prefer it over smokes you get at the store.
Never thought about growing it myself.
It's a different taste altogether.
There might be a limit as to how much you can grow for personal use.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zelong

Originally posted by Night Star

I was told that in older days stockman would use tobacco to worm their horse's.

I think the Fed's will be all over you if you grow some cause it's the Golden Egg of Taxes.

Zelong.

Nicotine is one of the oldest known insecticides ever used.
According to a post I read last week .In an emergency situation two crumbled cigarettes should be eaten to rid your body of parasites

top topics

<<   2 >>

join