It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Win A GunFight = Can Save Your Life!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
LAST BUT NOT LEAST.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep your firearms and ammo secured at all times if you have kids. They're curious by nature , Some people may be rolling their eyes
like that's obvious... yet it can't be too apparent because every year kids are getting hurt or killed because of their stupid assed parents not locking their guns up.

I fully agree, I used to have a thin case but recently purchased a much more modern cabinet with locks and three point bolt system and a seperate cabinet for ammo. My kids are getting older and while they still don't know we have guns in the house soon I expect them to get more curious.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Very good post S & F

Training is probably the best advice anybody with experience can give. Until then you should not handle a firearm. There has been some very good hints and advice so far.

Remember firearms are meant for only two things.

Target Practice

And

Killing

You better make damned sure you know what you're aiming at before you "Squeeze" The trigger.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Theredneck had a good point about hunting. You don't really grasp the situating until you are standing over the dead body that you have taken its life.
Animal, thug or enemy, they were once alive before you decided they didn't need life anymore. They died to feed you, they died so your family could live (and you to) - they died because you decided they had to.
The decision to kill should never be an easy one to make but once made you will be able to do it to the best of your ability.
Taking out the trash is a time honored tradition among the responsible people. Hunting also keeps the populations of animals in check because most of the preditors are gone & only the worst and most dangerous preditors remain.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
alright, I'm gonna boost this

It took me a lot of looking to put these up, and I wanna let people look one more time before the boneyard.

Another thing that helps a bit in a gunfight if you have some
time to prepare for it, is Class IV Body Armor with rifle plates.

You can also order a bullet proof mask the DEA used for door
entry ppl via Ebay, I did not go that far yet.

I hope I NEVER EVER need it, but I'd rather be prepared as I was
taught in the boy scouts a long time ago.

The military pretty much reinforced that as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

The same with me , my old man was a cop (old school beat cop , not the paramilitary cops of today) so I started shooting at age 11. I've ALWAYS been around guns so there was never any curiosity about them for me , I didn't know it was such a big deal until friends would come by and just stare at the guns locked in the cabinet.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Great Thread!!

What's behind the target is really important. I notice in similar threads people recommending the BIG guns, but those have the potential of hitting the target, and then the next four walls in your house. I think sometimes people get carried away by big fire power.

This goes back to "knowing" your weapon. A big gun is not necessarily going to penetrate further. A 9 mm is more likely to penetrate multiple walls or ricochet than a .45! A 12 guage with shot is called a "halllway sweeper" for a reason. It will clear the room, but not penetrate the walls into other rooms.

Ammunition is also a big consideration. A hollow point is meant to come apart and stay inside the mass of its target, where a regular bullet will pass on through. Sometimes people leave their cheaper practice rounds in their gun, and they don't realize how differently that bullet will behave compared to a hollow point.

IMO, the safest home-defense weapon would be a shotgun with a light shot, or a .45 acp with hollow points. They have much more knockdown power, require less accuracy, and are less likely to kill something besides the intended target!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The last man standing is the one who tells the tale to the authorities. Shoot to kill.

Thanks for the videos. I will download them for sure. Starred and flagged.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
[edit on 14-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You offered up some good advice there; as many people have. I've noticed many Veterans in here, and that's good.

I'm glad you 'touched' upon the thought processes behind calibers. I see a lot of people gung ho on some fairly big weaponry, but it's just too big.

The idea is to win, by staying alive. Not shooting yourself, or hurting yourself over a poor choice.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Excellent post! Great points! Mind if I add something to what you said?

Not only is a gun without the mental aptitude to use it worthless, it is also dangerous! There are two distinct possibilities:
  • You give an unarmed attacker a weapon. It is not that hard to take a gun away from someone, especially if they are afraid to use it or even hesitant to use it. So instead of being confronted by a thug who wants to beat you severely about the head and shoulders, you are now confronted by an assassin who has you in the sights of your own weapon!

• You give the attacker a reason to fear for his life, and therefore a reason to take you completely out instead of just hurting you. Remember that not every attacker wants to kill you, especially if the purpose of the attack is to procure what you have. A few cracked ribs from kicks in the side are pretty debilitating and painful, but they will heal in time. A bullet between the eyeballs does not get a chance to heal.

Make no mistake, once you pull a weapon, the confrontation is definitely a life-and-death situation.
Bottom line: exactly as you said kozmo, a weapon in the hands of someone who is not ready to use it is worthless, or worse.

Your will is your weapon; your gun is your tool.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Something you all have pointed out is some people are naturally selected to be victims, or LOOSE. They will die because they were meant not to live. Precisely what has been said here is just that; some people in trouble are just gonna die.

So, it's a little hard for me to question someones fortitude; train'em all. My sidearm is an equal opportunity killing weapon.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by kozmo

Wow, hey, that was a great post. You mentioned the "hair" to be able to actually pull the trigger, is their anything you suggest to get someone used to the idea???......besides grand theft auto.

Also, what did you think of the bug out bag he outlined for self defense in the home? Practical, or too difficult to get to?

Hmmm, that's a good question. The answer is NO! I mean, short of the type of brainwashing that occurs in basic training, there is never a way to prepare yourself to kill someone. It is a mental conviction that you either have or don't have. That is why careful soul-searching is in order before even purchasing a gun for defense. If you want to test yourself out, go deer hunting. I've seen more than several "hard" men fail to pull the trigger when the animal is their sights - despite their bravado leading up to the point. THAT is the moment of truth. And even if you manage to kill that deer, evaluate how you feel about it. A human being is NO deer

Now, the B.O.B. - I'm a believer in BOBs for taking leave quickly but for defending? Not so much! A home defense weapon needs to be loaded, accessible yet stored in such a way that only you or others authorized have access. I have a lock box with a 4 finger combo lock bolted to the floor under the bed. I can quickly roll out of bed, stick my hand atop to number pad and quickly eneter te 4 digit combo - in the dark!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

[edit on 14-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]

Why did you pull your post?

I read it and thought you had some valid points.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I just wanted to make on point. In one of the videos the instructor was clearing a stairwell, and while his gun was pointed in one direction his eyes would "scan" the area, his eyes would break apart from where his gun was pointed. I was taught that your eyes and barrel never separate, When his gun was pointed in one direction and his eyes another what if his eyes saw a gun pointed at him? He would be dead before his gun caught up with his eyes. There is no reason to separate the gun and eyes. That will get you dead. I think thunder ranch makes some great videos but their not perfect. That move will kill you. Your barrel is always pointed in the same direction as your eyes and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
i wouldn't rule out anything anytime anywhere. Someone's got a blade is 10 ft or more away I'm gonna light anything below their waste up with .45acp...or amputate them below the knee with some 12 ga magnum buck...if its a firearm then i completely agree that precision shooting goes out the window unless you are an experienced operator, its go for center mass until you reload or the threat disappears.
And as for scanning I wouldn't say it is ALWAYS appropriate to have your eyes and your muzzle pointed in the same vector...that can get you killed as easy as anything. Every situation calls for a unique plan of action. If I feel my main threat is a corner in front of me I am not going to always break my pistol away from that zone while performing a half-second scan of an area more than 90 degrees away...in tight corridors the movement can waste precious time.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by bongshark]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Great videos, and a great set up you’ve got going in this thread!

I can just cruise through the videos from top to bottom - at my leisure - and not have to watch a full video if I want to go on to the next one.

I really appreciate the time and effort you went to to present this material to us.

Some people, for whatever reason, don’t have the way, means or ability to get to a range or to structured training sessions so these videos you’ve put up offer the next best way to learn and again - it’s muchly appreciated.

I’ve watched the first one, (even though I’m an avid gun collector and been shooting all my life) - It’s still good to check out other peoples methods and if not learn from them learn what not to do from them.

The first video is right on for the most part but let me just add my opinion.

I NEVER EVER use any type of light on my gun. I hand carry or nothing at all. The last thing I want to do at night is to light up my gun giving the *other guy* a perfect shot at me and my weapon. Hand hold and keep the light as far away from your body as possible.

GREAT THREAD S&F!

peace

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank You,

I thought they were all good, and short. They all packed a bunch of information into small windows of time.

I can see where your coming from with the flashlight. I really don't have an opinion; as I fully believe each person needs to learn what works for themselves the best.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join