It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Win A GunFight = Can Save Your Life!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I've been seeing many people ask about firearms, and not knowing which one, or type is best for them. I thought some basic firearm videos might be good as well. The videos here are short snippets of DVD's you can buy, but they are compacted with good information. The man instructing is Clint Smith; pay attention; as he will keep you ALIVE. Here's his site, and information.www.thunderranchinc.com...

Also, notice these are from Youtube. I chose to present Clint Smith because he is excellent, but there are many videos on topic on Youtube.

The basic idea presented in these videos is use what you've got, and practice practice practice. No one is going to do it for you.

Enjoy

Introduction to home defense. Quick overview with a great idea for a defensive Bug Out Bag.

Defensive Firearm basics. Learn the firearm you have on hand, the typical environment you expect to need it(your home), and practice practice practice.

Very brief, but good concealed firearms overview.

This video mainly covers how to clear a stairwell, but the same methods can be applied to general corners in hallways, or door ways. A theme continues to re occur in these videos; which is always have your firearm pointed towards the perceived area of threat.

Excellent video. This one shows proper handgun draw. The steps needed to safely draw with maximum safe efficiency. He's using a "wheel" gun, or revolver; so lots of tips there.

3 places where you should always have your pistol: In the holster, pointed in vicinity of target, and on target. Follow these rules, and your NOT going to hurt yourself.

If needed, reloading a Semi Automatic Pistol in a self defense situation, from empty. Notice again the muzzle never leaves the target.

Another method of reloading a Semi Automatic Pistol in a Defense situation. This one is called the Tactical Load. It is used in situations where the threat is not specifically known. You've already fired shots, but to be sure you "top" off with a new magazine. Again, the firearm is always pointed at the area of perceived threat.

How to clear a jammed weapon while under attack. A point to notice in this video the pistol ALWAYS pointed at the target. It allows quick acquisition when ready to use lethal force.

This video covers good information regarding using a revolver in a defensive situation. It also covers a tad bit on how to clear a home.

Very quick, and basic overview of the defensive shotgun. The shotgun is my overall choice. In all situations I'll take a Remington 870, or an Ithaca 37. Also, of note to home defense; it is no secret that 'racking' the shotgun will scare people off alone.

Final thoughts, anyone here with good training ideas please pipe up; so people can learn.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

[edit on 13-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
alright, I'm gonna boost this

It took me a lot of looking to put these up, and I wanna let people look one more time before the boneyard.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Number one way to win a gun fight.

Don't be there.

And jeeze can you cut the number of vid boxes down to one and make the rest just clicky links? I mean seriously some of us do not run on t-1 lines here! And each darned box chews up unnecessary band width.

Seriously though, folks, don't try to learn gun control from -just- a u-tube series. If you are that hard up to learn go to a range and ask the old pros.

Putting rounds down range will teach you more than a video ever will.

M.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

sorry, the edit ability isn't there. I think after they've been up for a while, or something then you can't??? Donno, but not there.

I'll keep it in mind next time.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by Moshpet

sorry, the edit ability isn't there. I think after they've been up for a while, or something then you can't??? Donno, but not there.

I'll keep it in mind next time.

Thanks I, if not others would appreciate it.
Now if I could just get rid of the overly graphic adds on the side bars... serious lag

M.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

But there are some good points in the videos.

Obviously, you will learn more hands on, but this is a good start.

S&F for the OP

[edit on 8/13/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

There was a really horrible movie called "The Quick and the Dead", but the premise is indeed true. For only 39.95 you too can be quick and not dead.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My firearms instructor said that the best way to win a firefight was to shoot first.

Of course the police look down on that sort of tactic, but if someone is breaking into my house with a gun then you can bet I'll shoot before they do if I get a chance.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Pretty good videos, good techniques, so I'll give this one a flag.

The only problem, as I see it, is what has already been mentioned: the best way to win a gunfight is to not be there.

In any violent encounter, you will be facing a large number of uncertainties. Technique can help you over come some of these, but experience is the real weapon one needs. Unfortunately experience only comes via actual encounters, and all too often can wind up being the last experience.

Mental conditioning helps some as well, but is pretty unreliable until proven.

In the end, all you will have on your side in any sort of encounter, be it a gunfight, knife fight, hand-to-hand combat, or butt-kicking contest, is intuition. Experience and mental conditioning can help mold that intuition. But nothing can completely prepare you for the encounter but the encounter itself.

My advice: watch these vids, then go talk to some actual shooters that have experience. Think military. Take a gun safety course. Study the weapons you plan to acquire. Visit a public range and pretend you have stock in your ammo company.
In other words, shoot. A lot! Shoot until the gun becomes a part of your hand. Go hunting. Nothing can replace the experience of firing a weapon at an actual living creature. But most importantly of all:

Pray you never have to use the skills you are developing.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Some good, some very basic.. but some people need that. 1 star for you

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I agree with most everyone here in regards to avoidance of said issues.

However, as the news in Detroit of armed guards at grocery stores is surely going to spread, I do feel the videos are a good start.

I picked Clint Smith because he is a no nonsense person. Go check out their website; I think the short clips I presented are FULL of good HOW TO'S, but you can order the full videos from their site.

Please any one with experience add too this!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
While I think this is fine instructional video, it's this reactive thinking that gets folks killed. What I mean to say is your thinking tactics when you should be thinking strategy. You should be trying to keep them away from your house/homestead. Intrusion detection needs to be your first line of home defense. This means establishing a defensive perimeter and creating entry and access points If a gang of roving marauders see that they have to cross 50-100 yards of clear open ground to get to a locked gate, They are going to go else where to find someplace to raid. If you're stuck in an urban area, you'll need medium to large sized dogs that are trained to bark only at intruders. They must be kept OUTSIDE. They aren't family pets! They are sentry dogs. Again the idea here is keeping them away from houses and families. A double row of chain link fencing with the dogs roaming in between is a start. This has to be a community effort which is how most folks are going to survive anyway. If you think that a single family is going to make it alone, you're already dead.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

I here what your saying, but people are of all levels of skills. The more available to them the better their chances.

Watching a good instructional video on survival, and then practice, practice, practice is the best solution for many people. You've got some very good ideas in what you said, and I'm sure people would like to read more of them.

On a side note:

If you're stuck in an urban area, you'll need medium to large sized dogs that are trained to bark only at intruders.

Yes, dogs are excellent. Even small ones will alert, and detour attackers. They take the element of surprise away.

However, I'd have to disagree with keeping them outside, or not as pets.

First off, keeping them outside you'd have to train them not to eat anything you don't provide as poisoning is a quick means to get in your house, or flat out shooting them.

Also, one of my relatives was the first to train all of a large SouthWest City's police dogs. She did this back in the 70's, yes she, was of the opinion that only with love will your dog protect you to the absolute death. She raised some pretty billy bad *ss dogs; too!

She helped train our dogs, and I love them to death. The only problem is I fear them attacking people. They are very possessive, and don't like ANYONE close to momma, and daddy.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I've watched a few Clint Smith videos in the past, he is pretty straight to the point. I think you picked a good video for anyone interested in checking into shooting.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Nicely done! As a certified instructor I give you Kudos!

The only thing I'd like to add is this... having a gun does NOT protect you. Let me say that again, HAVING A GUN DOES NOT PROTECT YOU!!!

Now that I've sufficiently riled you up, let me explain why. There are literally thousands of mavericks out there with guns who foolishly believe that because they have one, they are safe. I see half a dozen in my classes every month. The key ingredient to having a gun and staying safe is your willingness to use it!

Most people go out, purchase a gun, sign up for safety courses or their CCW and they never actually stop and think about one simple thing - are they actually willing to use it to kill someone! Forget about this notion of "I'll just shoot 'em in the leg etc..." Bullsh*t! When you are under stress, your adrenaline is pumping and you are scared, most people will be lucky to hit center of mass (the torso) let alone drop a tricky leg-shot!

No, you MUST understand that purpose of firearms is to kill - period! Yeah, yeah - I know - you just like to target shoot - so why not buy a BB gun then??? Yeah, got ya!!! It is for killing! Acknowledge that and you will be one step closer being safe by owning one. If you do not have the intestinal fortitude to kill in defense then you should not have a gun. If you freeze up and your attacker is armed, you are dead - end of story!

Now, if you've crossed the rubicon and you are certain that you can and will use a firearm if such a situtation that requires this necessity presents itself - THEN enroll in classes. Basic firearms safety is a great place to start. Spend time at the range and get familiar with your weapon - how to load it, break it down, clean it, assemble it. Get comfortable with its heft, its recoil, target acquisition and reacquisition etc... Get intimate with it so that all of its functions are second nature should the need to use it in a defense situation arise.

Finally, lock it up where only you and other authorized adults can access it - but make sure that it is accessible to you. A gun locked in a clumsy combination safe is really not much of a self-defense weapon. NEVER point it at anything that is not an intended target, whether it is loaded or not is irrellivent - treat every gun like it is ALWAYS loaded!

Last thing... racking a shotgun shell does NOT scare away an armed intruder. It only alerts them that you are also armed, what you are armed with and your general location. This gives them the upper hand in launching a first strike on you. This isn't a Clint Eastwood movie - this is reality. Avoidance is number one. If that is impossible then it is important to be the one who shoots first! Stealth and suprise will generally insure that you come out on top.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

True very true. Most people dont have the hairys to pull the trigger. if your going to have a weapon for protection, better learn to use it, and use it right. I know i keep 2 loaded in the house for protection. I know how to use a weapon, and i know that i will pull the trigger. It does take a lot to pull the trigger on another human. sometimes takes a lil practice but you get the hang of it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Wow, hey, that was a great post. You mentioned the "hair" to be able to actually pull the trigger, is their anything you suggest to get someone used to the idea???......besides grand theft auto.

Also, what did you think of the bug out bag he outlined for self defense in the home? Practical, or too difficult to get to?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think theres only 2 ways to realy be prepared to pull the trigger.
1. Join the military and go to war
or
2. Join a street gang and pull the trigger for initiation.
But i Highly dont recomend number 2.

Another way is to mental practice situations in your mind.( without a gun in your hand for saftey reasons). Go over what you would do if certain scenarios played out. Also go to the range and practice using ur weapon and visualising the threat on the target.

Also a bug out bag is a nice thing to have. but do you need that stuff to stop an intruder..no not realy... are you planning on ditching your house and hiding in the woods till the cops got there,,, probably not. unless your fighting a gang in your house, u probably wont have to fire off more than 4 rounds. so a bug out bag for me, not likley cause thats just one more thing to mess around with while your trying to get your target aquired and neutralized.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by sapperranger04]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thunder ranch is decent training. I think the best thing to do as stated before is to get as much quality training as possible and decide what type of Firearm you need and why. To me Firearms are just tools , I've earned my living with them previously... Just make sure you pick the right tool for the job. Let's keep it safe folks.

Rule One:
All guns are always loaded. Even if you "know" it's empty, treat it as though it were loaded.

Rule Two:
Never let the muzzle cover (point at) anything you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three:
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Rule Four:
Be sure of your target. (Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot anything you have not positively identified.)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep your firearms and ammo secured at all times if you have kids. They're curious by nature , Some people may be rolling their eyes
like that's obvious... yet it can't be too apparent because every year kids are getting hurt or killed because of their stupid assed parents not locking their guns up.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Rule Four: Be sure of your target. (Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot anything you have not positively identified.)

What's behind the target is really important. I notice in similar threads people recommending the BIG guns, but those have the potential of hitting the target, and then the next four walls in your house. I think sometimes people get carried away by big fire power.

You know I agree with you, and everyone else so far with keeping the guns out of reach of 'modern children', but I grew up with many guns around.

I always treated them as loaded as they really were. I always respected them; as did my siblings.

So, what the H*ll is wrong with today's youth? Huh!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join