It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reconnaissance survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
So im bord and dont want to clean the house or do dishes so im going to share some reconnaissance survival stuff we use in the army. Special Forces uses more so we use less because we can lol.

Survival Gear

Basic survival gear you need to carry with you:

Fishing Hook w/ 8' 20LB line
Pocket knife with suraded edge spring loaded
Small mirror
Razorblade
Lighter
Metal Spoon (For eating or digging)
Orange Cloth 4'X4' for signaling (easy to fold or roll)
1 Energy Bar
2 Main meals out of an MRE
2 Waterproof ReSealable bags (for storage and drinking)
Needle and Small Spool Thread (for stiching cuts or cloths)
Hand warmer (if winter)
Small pair Binos
Small personal Compass

These items can be placed in a hat, cargo pocket. They are light weight and easy to store. In the event your recon mission heads south or you get seperated and cant get back with your team you have all you need to servive.

Survival

In the event you find yourself lost, split up or scared out of your mind the 1st thing you do is "DONT PANIC". Thats the first thing you do. Now pull your thoughts together ok good, now find cover to hide and come up with a plan.

Now the next thing to remember is the gear you have will allow you to live for a 2 week period. Just because you have 2 main MRE meals and a energy bar dosen't mean eat them as soon as you get hungry. Snack on them they will last a couple days.

You want to avoid being seen so stay off trails and roads, travel about 150 meters beside them but not on them. The same way with rivers, streams, lakes or any kind of water, stay away from them they bring trouble.

If you can, Move at night, this is the best cover you can give yourself. It also alows you to catch food such as live animals and fish if you are near water and there is fish in the water.

Fishing Tips

You have a hook and 8 feet of fishing line. First the hook and line should already be tied together right... now find a good branch about 4-5 feet long to attach the line to. If you cant find a Branch tie it to sompthing or your knife. next find some kind of bug to attach to the hook. Find a rock or sompting for weight. If you cant find anything well try the best you can to catch a fish. It dose work because we use to train for this kind of situation.

Avoiding the enemy

So if your traveling during the day try to keep yourself hidden as much as posible. If you are in an area where there is no cover such as a field or vally, move slow and as low to the ground as posible. Use your binos to see what is around you for cover and if you see anyone around. Your goal is to make it out alive

Being captured

OK............so now your captured........They took your knife, lighter, spoon, anything you could escape or harm them with. now you should of hidden a razor and your small compass. The razor Will help you cut yourself free and the compass will redirect you to where you need to go.

Always stay calm, Never give them information, and always keep trying to make an effor to escape if you can. Never give up or surender for any reason. If There are others, help the escape as well you can always use the help and company. collect any weapons, ammo or usefull tools to help you as you escape.

If there is anything i left out this was a quick intro to recon survival. There are many other things out there that will go more in depth. Keep in mind I am not SPECOPS, SEALS, SF or anything major. I am in the army and just passing my skills along from what i have learned over time. If you would like a much more in depth report just let me know and i will type away till my fingers bleed and hands fall off.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Great stuff my man, this is very helpful information. I mean some of it is rather common sense but there is much that is learned info, and that makes this much appreciated.

I for one would love to read more of what you have to say.

What is a good place to hide the blade and compass, so that you can hike with it nonstop without it being a bother, but it will remain hidden if patted down or frisked thoroughly, and that it can be gotten to if tied up?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The razorblade can be consealed at the back of the pants inside where the belt line is. once it is sewen in to the pants all you have to do is move the pants and start working it and it will cut through.

as far as the compass do the same thing. both should be in the center of the belt line so you can get easy access and they wont feel it when you are pated down if you are wearing a belt.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Very interesting. S&F for you.

Could you explain why it'sbest to stay away from waterways?

Looking forward to more of your advice.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in joining the armed forces, so obviously I'm going to have to know this kind of stuff. Lets hope its not as hard as it seems, if your running.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The reason to stay away from the water:

The enemy or people travel mosty near water, roads, paths. That is the greates way to meet someone when you are escaping then you have more people chasing you posibly kill you if they dosent happen it will deffently give away your position and then your stuck being hunted.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

the military is what you make it to be. if you are a slacker i highly advise in a new field of work such as siting at home. if you are dedicated person. hard working and in great shape then the military life is not all that bad.

top topics

join