It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olbermann Slams Palin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Olbermann Slams Palin For "Death Panel" Claim, Calls Her Dangerously Irresponsible

Keith Olbermann went off on Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and the birthers in a nearly 15-minute "Special Comment" Monday night. The MSNBC host was particularly incensed by Palin's recent, totally unsupported, claim that Obama's health care plan would result in a "death panel."

"There is no 'death panel.' There is no judgment based on societal productivity. There is no worthiness test. But there is downright evil, and Ms. Palin, you just served its cause," Olbermann said, before going on to call Palin a "clear and present danger to the safety and security of this nation."www.huffingtonpost.com...

I found this video essay to be extremely well thought out and reasonably presented. I'm sure that it will create a lot of knee-jerk criticism from some who identify themselves as right-wing...but that doesn't mean it's wrong. It's a 15 minute investment in what sure sounds to this ignorant foreigner to be plain common sense.

I'm interested in reasonable comment from both sides of the debate.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
edit to admit I should try and watch it.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by jd140]

Okay I made it to the part where he compared the guy holding a cardboard cutout that is supposed to be a congressman (thats what he said anyways) and a pic of two black men hanging with a bunch of whites posing for the pic.

It was a 15 minute rant that I'm sure he would not have the stones to tell her face to face.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by jd140]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Edit to say... Never mind. Comment made redundant by editing of other posts.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I thought it was pretty good. It's important that those who are buying this fear-mongering look under the surface instead of having the knee-jerk reactions that are ill-informed and don't contribute to a solution.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I thought it was pretty good. It's important that those who are buying this fear-mongering look under the surface instead of having the knee-jerk reactions that are ill-informed and don't contribute to a solution.

Do you really think that those who listen to people like Palin and Rush listen to Olbermann?

This wasn't done for the benefit of those who are having "knee- jerk reactions". This is a rant that will be cheered on by those who don't like Palin. To be honest, I wouldn't even had known he had said this if it wasn't for Canuck.

This was done for his fans and for ratings. I really doubt he even wrote it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is like watching two 4 year olds argue in the playground. And they're politicians? Why do we listen to them? They hold no power, they have no office, so just ignore them and hopfully they'll go away.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Do you really think that those who listen to people like Palin and Rush listen to Olbermann?

If they don't, they should.

To be honest, I wouldn't even had known he had said this if it wasn't for Canuck.

As I said, you should. You should listen to "both sides" to get the full picture. It's quite eye-opening.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Deflection from the issue on both sides. Republicans are clueless on responding rather than some meaningless accusatory drivel about leaving seniors on an ice floe or mulching them. Democrats think situation can be rectified by turning it all over to the government (OMG!)

How about we try it in a state? Throw in the Congress, POTUS, and everyone on his cabinet. If it works at that level, roll it out.

And how about, oh, I don't know, Tort Reform??? Let's work toward driving out as much waste as possible, knock off the super-expensive incentive to practice "defensive medicine", and compare the results of that with a state trial of the proposal.

Naaaah. Too much sense.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

If they don't, they should.

To be honest, I wouldn't even had known he had said this if it wasn't for Canuck.

As I said, you should. You should listen to "both sides" to get the full picture. It's quite eye-opening.

Should doesn't mean that they do and we both know that they don't so this was for his fans and ratings like I said.

Honestly I don't watch any commentator. I might catch Orielly once every month or so if I hear he has Barney Frank on, I do like watching them two go at each other. Other then that I watch Bret (cant remember his last name) on Fox, just because he isn't a commentor and reports the news without any spin on it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Wow. I felt the same thing upon listening to Olbermann. I stopped at the 5:38 mark but just from that 1/3 of the video, I heard:

1). Clear and present danger to safety and security of this nation.
2). Panic, chaos, bash skulls.
3). Mob/Mob rule.
4). Murder.
5). Innocent bystanders will be hurt.
6). Orgy fantasizing about violence.
7). Fantasizing about murder.
8). Carnage.

Did you not hear that? I'd say Olbermann is just as guilty of fear mongering. Pretty blatant, too.

On a side note I laughed at the irony of Olbermann criticizing Beck. They BOTH take orders from Washington. It's a set up. They attack each other, as they're told. It's like pro wrestling. Olbermann and Beck are shills on the same team who are only acting like they're opponents.

I have no respect for Olbermann or Beck. I can even understand some of the criticism against Palin in this case and I will not defend her. But Olbermann, as usual, takes it so over the top with propaganda I could never describe any of his government-organized rants as 'good.'

I beg everyone to REALLY listen to Beck, Olbermann, and the like. Look at the clues and you'll see it. Whether liberal or conservative, drop your bias and pay close attention to the pundits and you'll see what a constructed joke they really are.

Olbermann gets a big fat
from me. He, too, is using fear mongering tactics. Why accuse one side of this without acknowledging the other?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
As somebody who falls pretty far left-from-center, Olbermann is...well...embarrasing. The show may be entertaining sometimes, but he twists and distorts and makes sure to paint in a positive light everything this current administration is trying to do.

Hell, if he was honest at all he would call this 'birther' thing what it is: alot of bull# distraction.

He is everything I couldn't stand to listen to the last 8 years on WABC. Hannity, Mark Levin and Coulter. Sure, he may present everything in some psuedo-intellectual manner instead of excitable ranting, but it's the audience he is targetting. The message is almost exactly the same:

"You are smart, patriotic, real americans who want the best for their country now that they are in control...those on the other side are everything that is currently wrong with the country"

Rinse, repeat and play musical chairs with the targets every 4 to 8 years.

I don't know, it is just really sad to see a station that would be so critical of the last administration decide to role over and play their cheerleader role just as enthusiastically as the ever hated FOX.

Really, go back and watch all the talking heads you (read: I) couldn't stand on FOX and then watch the talking heads on MSNBC and tell me they aren't the same role; different play.

I am waiting for the documentaries on how much of a shill network MSNBC is. (don't get me wrong, they both suck)

Bah, that turned into a rant. I hope it can be considered on topic.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I agree.

Palin- Government will kill you.

Olbermann- If you listen to Palin it will kill you.

It amazes me that people even listen to these people and to top it off they post video links spreading the dumba@@ness.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It amazes me that people even listen to these people and to top it off they post video links spreading the dumba@@ness.

I guess I can take that personally, as the OP, so to put in a little perspective, that is the first time I have watched Olbermann and he made a lot of sense in what he was saying.

What amazes me is how you Americans...yes, here I go fingerpointing...allow your politics to create such a vitriol-dripping frenzy that you bring guns to a Town Hall meeting. So many espouse Christian values, and the louder you do so, the more likely you are to be intolerant and selfish...Universal Health Care being a prime example.

Americans are my favourite foreigners, and I really enjoy going to the States for a visit. But friends don't let friends make poor choices without comment...right?

So don't be calling me a dumbarse for recognising common sense when I see it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Take it personally if you want, I don't care.

If you think one side is making sense and the other isn't then you need help. They are both saying the same thing. Olbermann slams Palin for spreading hate and fear and yet he does the same thing.

If you lean left he makes sense.

If you lean right Palin makes sense.

If you are level headed then they are both speaking out their butts.

Which group are you in?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
And then he went down to his car, drove down the street to the bar and was offered a gin by both of his archenemies', Beck and Palin, advisors.

Last time I saw something this entertaining/moving... was 300?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
When is Olbermann going to leave his comfort zone?

So much going on and he chooses instead to continue to bash Palin?

Why?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
When is Olbermann going to leave his comfort zone?

So much going on and he chooses instead to continue to bash Palin?

Why?

Ratings.

His viewers love a good Palin bashing.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
MSNBC is heading the way Air America went...straight towards bankruptcy. Their ratings are flat out atrocious. How much longer is NBC is going to keep them on financial life support? Probably until the end of Obama´s four year presidency.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

If you lean left he makes sense.

If you lean right Palin makes sense.

If you are level headed then they are both speaking out their butts.

I 100% agree with you. I can't imagine how anyone could honestly applaud Olbermann for his comments but criticize Palin or vice versa.

They BOTH took it over the top. They BOTH engaged in exaggeration. They BOTH utilized fear-mongering calculated terminology. They BOTH expressed pseudo-outrage.

To be honest, I get frustrated with those who automatically agree with those in their own political affiliation but disagree with those on another side... especially when that praise/criticism is over the same thing.

I just want to tell people to get out of the political party bubble, open your eyes, and really see the game that's being played. Yes, I'm a conservative but will still admit conservative pundits like Coulter are propagandists. I'll say the same thing about Olbermann. They should be an embarrassment to the political parties they are associated with- not hailed as heros and chief mouthpieces.

How is it possible for people to say 'Rock on, Olbermann!' when he just did the same thing, if not worse, than what he is criticizing Palin for?

This just about sums it up:

Palin- Government will kill you.

Olbermann- If you listen to Palin it will kill you.

Palin with 'death panel' and Olbermann with 'carnage, murder, etc.'

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Man, Olberman ruins a lot of football games for me. Be either the sports guy or the loudmouth political guy. Not both.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join