It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want you to get MAD!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Before we can do anything constructive, we need to get mad!

Change isn't going to come by sitting on the sofa and whining but by taking to the streets and shouting.
Getting mad is good.

This morning i got mad when my laptop stalled, its then i thought; 'why am i getting mad about this?'

There is famine, murder, torture, war.

We are being lied to by those we appoint to tell the truth.

We are being exploited by those we appoint to be fair.

Get Mad!

The television has dumbed us down, turned us into zombies, the walking dead. Why do we shout at our television screens? They...cant...hear...you!

We are in A LOT of trouble...

The sooner we realise it, the better.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The television has dumbed us down, turned us into zombies, the walking dead. Why do we shout at our television screens? They...cant...hear...you!

Well...actually, mine can hear me. It's an LG. - Dry Humor

Television hasn't really dumbed us down. It has actually made us more aware. What I mean is television has created a visual mode of communication.

If it was not for the television, we would not be aware of such thing visually like famine, murder, torture, war.

I agree that the television has some negative effects, but these effects are usually narrowed down to "certain Shows" and/or "People" rather then television in general.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Dont get me wrong. I agree television is a brilliant learning device, i love it.

But it makes people lazy. My dad used to shout and rant at the television when a politician used to appear. He would then be happy that he had his say

Its not good enough.

This isn't about getting mad at television.

Its about getting mad at society, at yourself, for just accepting the world we live in, i know i do from time to time.

Something needs to change and it needs to happen soon. I cant see 'them' changing so it will have to be us.

Viva la Revolution!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Net work has got to be one of the most prophetic movies ever made

[edit on 11-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Originally posted by LiveForever8

I agree, as a society, we have become more selfish and ill natured. We take most things for granted and fail to acknowledge the giver.

I feel that television (as you quoted about your father) has fabricated our view on reality and has given us a false impression of our involvement of what we are watching.

As Bob Marley said: "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
One of the effects of tv is to numb us to reality. You can only watch so many people get shot up before it ceases to phase you anymore. You can watch bombs fall on houses full of people and children and hardly get a reaction because you have seen it so many times. You feel powerless because its all being done by big and powerful entities "out there" someplace.
Meanwhile the tv says you should be hungry - go get that snack out of the cupboard and you will be happy -- and its true, you are!

I think its ironic that all of that blood and gore has not caused people in America to get angry, but a discussion of universal health care has people not only fuming, but ready to revolt.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

You know what is quite alarming is how much that speech catches on if you mention it.

I used to live in a flat on a mainstreet and after watching this movie (not long ago) I gave it a try and shouted out the window. Passers by shouted it back, other people in the street echoed it and some began banging bus stop shelters etc.

No kidding, I actually feel like walking down to my nearest town, standing in the centre of it and shouting that

I bet it would catch on but i would be making an appearance on sky news tonight for being a terrorist. Then at best a thread on ATS would pop up and someone else would get a bunch of flags and stars before moving on.

Personally I do not like baseball bats up my sphincter during interrogations for opposing the thought police so I will give it a miss for today. At some point though people will eventually run out of vaseline and they wont be able to take the shafting they get everyday without feeling the pain more. Tick, tock.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The television will only dumb you down if you watch it. If you keep your television viewing down to an hour or so per week, they will not be able to capture you with that medium.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Your posts are worth reading

Nice to know you're out there somewhere

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I think its ironic that all of that blood and gore has not caused people in America to get angry, but a discussion of universal health care has people not only fuming, but ready to revolt.

Great post

Great observation (re: your remark in quotes above). And disturbing. Hope your post causes people to stop and think

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Do you mean mad like this?

I wish it were that easy.
You get mad. People cheer. Then they say: "eff yeah". They someone says: "Let's grab a beer (or a pint)." Then they shrug and go: "why not". The rage ceases to exist and they go back to their iPod and PS3 driven lives.

I think we all need to get out of our houses and into nature. I think we need to invite all of our neighbors (especially the ones we don't know) over for a cook-out and just talk about what's wrong and what we can do about it, then pick one thing and do it.

I love Zach de la Rocha. Love him. He is articulate, passionate, etc. People go to the concerts and for two hours they want to fight The Machine and change the world. But then they always go home and 95% of them do nothing.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Television hasn't really dumbed us down. It has actually made us more aware. What I mean is television has created a visual mode of communication.

If it was not for the television, we would not be aware of such thing visually like famine, murder, torture, war.

That is precisely the problem with television! Take a well accepted source like CNN. Let them film 25 people protesting something with police pushing them away, zoom in on a crying mother, show a violent arrest of a protestor, and then let 4 paid talking heads fill you in on the need for a war! That is all it takes to sway the popular opinion. Those might have been the only 25 people out of 100 million, but it makes great TV!

The same can happen right here in the US! Show 2 or 3 incoherent screaming people at a Town Hall event. Label them as an angry mob, and let a bunch of experts belittle the entire concern. Reassure the public that those people were crazy and you don't want to be like them! Now you have effectively taken the steam out of an important opposing view by labeling them and "televising" the most dramatic and least intelligent form of the protest!

Television has certainly made us more naive, even without the "dumbing" down by VH1, MTV, Sitcoms, and commercials!! The cumulative effect of the numbing drivle, the very effective marketing, and the false news shows is very very dramatic!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Dont get me wrong. I agree television is a brilliant learning device, i love it.

But it makes people lazy. My dad used to shout and rant at the television when a politician used to appear. He would then be happy that he had his say

Its not good enough.

This isn't about getting mad at television.

Its about getting mad at society, at yourself, for just accepting the world we live in, i know i do from time to time.

Something needs to change and it needs to happen soon. I cant see 'them' changing so it will have to be us.

Viva la Revolution!

I do agree with you. However, not all TV makes us lazy. All that drama does, except for Lost because that show keeps you thinking LOL!

Seriously though, I believe that what you watch on the TV has a great impact upon you. If you are watching reality show after reality show, then yeah, I see where you are going with your point. However, if you are watching National Geographic, or Discovery, I believe (like you) that is can be a great learning tool...providing what they are teaching is unbiased.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

providing what they are teaching is unbiased

Providing that they are teaching us unbiased, we are ignoring the commercials in between, we are eating healthy and not getting atrophy of our survival muscle and intellect while we watch.

Providing the show is actually providing facts (I have seen some very BAD advice on some survival shows), providing it is not all hypothetical BS (dragon vs. super gator)(Ninja vs. Hun) and other ridiculous shows.

Providing they are not tracking your viewing habits and slowly taking your financial assets through "subscription" television, TiVo, Premium channels, etc. Sending direct mailers to you based on what you watch! Accessing the inside of your home with repair men.

Providing it isn't harmful to Bombard you with Microwave radiation in the form of TV, Radio, and Cell signals.

I could probably list more ways that TV is harming you even during "Educational" programming!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think this thread has gone off topic somewhat, but thats ok, it is mildly relevant.

My intention for this thread was to point out (as wayno did) how we have been numbed to all the negative aspects of life through all forms of media.

When we see in the news that people are being oppressed, be it on home soil or foreign soil, why dont we get mad?

We need to do something before its too late!

Why do we feel satisfied with the lives we lead and the state of the world?

WE COULD HAVE IT SO MUCH BETTER

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You know that we are all different. Some of us were destined or had it in our genes to become statesmen, while others of us were naturally geared more to taking care of our own small world -- ie. family, friends and neighbourhood.

I think most of us fall in the latter category - I know I do -- and while I am concerned about all of that horrible stuff I see on the news, it is just beyond me to even consider how to cope with it; other than expressing my views to who will listen.

Most however, can't get too excited by things outside their everyday reality. That is a fact that the "statesmen" and business elite exploit have exploited all too successfully.

Its only in times of revolution that the average Joe is able to look beyond his little world to a larger cause. The force/energy/spark required to make a revolution happen is something that happens only rarely. Where will that force come from in today's world?

One thought is that it will be some tycoon with the money and influence; but it won't be the good of the average guy -- it will look like it, but in reality it would only be done to cement their own power, and possibly make things worse than they are.
Didn't George Bush and his dad try that?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
well it's the truth.
Tv is what's wrong with America.

Not because it's evil per say.

But our youth don't go fishing go outside and play like they use to.

Dang playstation's and xbox's have a hold on our kid's minds than most parent's do.

I remember my father yelling at me when i was a kid to go outside and play.
that the games and tv wasn't gonna make my life better or more fun.
He was right.

But we are now conditioned to use pc's and watch tv...as if breathing or eating or drinking water.

And that is why we don't fight for what's right anymore.
In a nut shell.
We would rather watch someone else in another country protest.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I think this thread has gone off topic somewhat, but thats ok, it is mildly relevant.

My intention for this thread was to point out (as wayno did) how we have been numbed to all the negative aspects of life through all forms of media.

When we see in the news that people are being oppressed, be it on home soil or foreign soil, why dont we get mad?

We need to do something before its too late!

Why do we feel satisfied with the lives we lead and the state of the world?

WE COULD HAVE IT SO MUCH BETTER

I used to be mad. I used to be a nose ring wearing, dred-locked, fist in the air activist. Then I chose to leave my academic career and go work in relief. I realized that the best way to wake people up is to make friends.

I think it's human nature. Aggression breeds aggression. Our primordial (reptilian) brain reacts quickly and unintelligently to anger in others.

I still get angry. I still get mad. Just no one listens to me when I am. I do see your point tho. Anger is a motivator. As Zach de la Rocha said: Anger is a gift. You feel alive, impassioned.

No, we shouldn't leave the running of the world to tossers. I just am not sure that a public outburst will do anything to change the larger perception. If Rage Against the Machine with their anger, their thoughtfulness, their brilliant music cannot motivate people longer than a few hours after hearing the music...I just don't believe it is good enough.

Love, I believe, is the best motivator. You don't want to let down the people that love you back.

Here is an experiment. I am already endeared to you because of the laugh you gave me in another post over the unicorn comment. You and I exchanged some Noel Gallagher love. You can see that I already cyber like you a bit.

You don't believe in God. You know I believe and love Jesus. Hurt my feelings by telling me I am stupid to believe in him. Say it, type it. Do it. Post it. Be cruel. Try to hurt my feelings. Wait a few minutes. Take note of whether or not you would feel bad for purposefully hurting me--even if I asked you to.

You don't know me, haven't seen me, but you would be reluctant to hurt my feelings because we had the tiniest bit of positive human interaction.

They say serial killers can't know names, can't see their victims as real humans or else they can't do what they do. I say make people see individuals, not numbers. Show them love, interact...

I think that's how we change the world.

Again, just my opinion and I still love Noel.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Hey friend!

Thanks for the post.

I agree with you in that getting mad will not solve our problems. After all, an eye for an eye only makes the world blind.

But this isn't about a solution to a problem.
This is about recognizing there is a problem.

Getting mad, as you said, is a great motivator, and that's what i think we need. Too many people are apathetic to the world around them. Millions are starving? So what?

This isn't good enough anymore.

I just think were leaving it too late to make a change.

Peace.

Noel Forever!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Recognising that there is a problem. Ahhhhh. Yes, yes, I agree. Not the answer but the "how" of the wake up call.

Hey...did you notice how I threw the "s" in recognize? That's just for you.

I'm with you. Scream a little. I think that's what Alex Jones is doing, actually. He's acting the crazy fool to get people's attentions otherwise no one will even think about it. He's creating dialog.

Then after that can we love a few people?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join