It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An event at my grocery store.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lois

A friend of mine worked for the Humane Society and they went down there.

When they got there with their badges and trucks - army / national guard what ever (uniformed soldiers) would not allow them within a certain parameter for a couple days.

Marlene said the soldiers guarding the parameter had machine guns and looked stress she said, "I got the strangest vibes, like there was something going on they didn't want anyone to know about". We'll never know.

One thing that woke me up was Katrina and how our government handled it - if something happens we are all going to be on our own.

A couple people in this thread have stressed how important it is to be able to live "off the grid" just in case.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TeddiRevolution

I live in an active hurricane zone and I have seen this and worse many times over. You don't realize how thin the veneer of civility is until all your basic essentials must be acquired aggressively. If you haven't experienced it you have no idea what it is link to go 3 weeks without all the comforts that an efficient society yields. Heaven help us all if that would happen on a large scale.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I live in an active hurricane zone and I have seen this and worse many times over. You don't realize how thin the veneer of civility is until all your basic essentials must be acquired aggressively. If you haven't experienced it you have no idea what it is like to go 3 weeks without all the comforts that an efficient society yields. Heaven help us all if that would happen on a large scale.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lois

Ehhhh.

A lien isn't so bad, the homeowner can still stay in the prop, it just means if the home is ever sold or refinanced, the homeowner has to pay for the lien and satisfy the cost involved.

Forcing these people to clean their properties, and essentially giving them "credit" to DO it, is a smart idea.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A good story, and a BETTER lesson.

A short wait, the people become restless and impatient. Imagine in a real crisis, a real crisis that is very likely to occur in this country in the near future, imagine what could happen.

There are so many predictions of what may occur, food shortages, bank holidays, collapse of the dollar, pandemics, false flag terror, a major war, severe weather and much more. One would be smart to have gold and silver rounds, coins or bars on hand as well as storable food/water.

And probably some extra ammo might be a good idea.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

And probably some extra ammo might be a good idea.

Star, Flag, & Friend.

2nd line, my new revolutionary buddy.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I don't believe you. Prove your point please. I want to see you rationalize this, and I honestly don't think you understand. You may well just prove my point, or maybe not, your reaction will tell.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by GideonHM]

WTF are you talking about? What point? That people get angry when they don't get what they came to the store for?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

Here's that Twilight Zone episode some of you were talking about, The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street:

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the story. I was going to post, but thought I'd better see if someone else noticed the similarity.

Crazy story. I guess when TSHTF, your best bet is to get as far away from civilization as possible.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

good post , and like most replies, a heads up call. It is gonna get bad quick when those who are not ready panic.
Anyone of us seeing something like this happening, should get out of the area quick, leave the cart for the minimum wage employee.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

good post , and like most replies, a heads up call. It is gonna get bad quick when those who are not ready panic.
Anyone of us seeing something like this happening, should get out of the area quick, leave the cart for the minimum wage employee.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sounds like Zimbabwe - best take a look at that country and get prepared America - cause thats where your heading.

Take a look at THIS:

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ok, here's what happened.

Power went out.
People couldn't get their money
Without the money, they couldn't buy their food.

What wake up call? This happens ALL the time in stores during storms.

People get rowdy when they aren't able to buy their food. They get highly impatient. Why make a big deal out of nothing?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Funny, when the power goes out here, we start going woot woot, and wondering how long it will go out for...then we get all giggly and flirty...when it comes back on everyone boooo's...... yeah, get away from the city NOW, just to have more fun in life in GENERAL, not JUST because some tragedy could occurr, but because one is ALREADY occurring.....in a place like that there is NO quality of life!

When the power went out for 4 days and we were snowed in, we looked for people with guitars and had sing alongs....we were stinky, but we all appologised for each others stinky...we shared food, we had a frigging BLAST, it was sooo fun. we kinda missed it, playing house in a group kinda...

That is the difference though of knowing everyone since before preschool I guess.....we are ALL each others loved ones to "watch out" for...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I have seen simliar reactions in stores around here (Gulf coast) when they run out fo water or certain items. People really get angry when they cannot have something.

My "group" and I have had these discussions- not so much from the loss of money aspect-but more from the limited food and water. Seemly Average Joes out there will become violent to get food for the family- we supposed this would happen in a mass event simliar to Katrina but without any kind of Government support. Some people would become Prey and others would not.

America has changed alot of past 50 years or so. The once town markets and local corner markets are gone for the most part and so much is delivered daily to stores. Just imagine if your grocery truck didnt show up for days or weeks.

Be Prepared for you and your family and do not become Prey.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Like another poster in this thread said any of you have any horror stories we didn't hear about that went on during Katrina? Stuff we "wouldn't believe"? I'm curious. I've never been in a situation like this before. But I'm well prepared for power outages and having to live on my own for a few weeks. Got tons of camping gear, batteries, cash, stored food, dog food, extra gas for my car, solar panel energy producers and water purification.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just watching how people act when a hurricane is approaching is enough to make you realize how fast the house of cards can fall. Fighting over plywood, gas, bread and milk is common. That's when a hurricane is even remotely close, people lose their minds. It doesn't have to be predicted to hit us, just any state nearby.

Almost like people are waiting for an opportunity to lose their minds.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Very creepy post. Losing money is one thing but what I fear is a man or woman with an with an empty belly. I think once there are food shortages and those hunger pains start setting in people will turn into savages. Yes, not having access to money is scary, but not having access to food is even worse. Once someone is starving they will do anything to subsist. This is when the cold-blooded nature of man will show its ugly face. Everyone has a breaking point. When pushed to the limit one will do what ever is in their power to survive. I think Katrina is a fine example of what to expect when the aforementioned catastrophe darkens our doorsteps.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Would have been awesome if at that very moment someone grabbed the PA mic and said "Folks for 5 minutes only, we've got laptops on isle 4 for $3.99!" Then posted the stampede on youtube. Well seriously though I'm once again happy to be in NZ where stuff like this happens all the time, people are used to it and just have a good laugh.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
sorry to hear that

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hurricane Andrew afforded me a first hand opportunity to see the 'mob mentality'. I can tell you I was very glad our family lived in South Florida all our lives, because we were prepared and avoided the pitfalls of a societal collapse.

We had adequate preparations (water, food, batteries etc..) with which to ride out the storm, stay off the streets and subsequently, not become a statistic such as those looting, rioting, theiving because they were scared, unprepared.

What we ALL will soon face is going to be of a magnitude none have ever seen. It is vitally important that ALL of us get prepared, have adequate stockpiles of water, food, first aid, personal protection and shelter materials.

It's not a matter of fear mongering (as "if such and such happens") NO, it's more like "WHEN", and by the looks of the limited view of our real position, events which will disrupt most anyone's normal routine will be cause for panic...if of course you don't prepare well ahead of time.

I have taken the time to compile needed information, supplies, resources, links and info into my latest site: SurVivalTime.org and I encourage all to visit and if at the very least, READ the information provided.

I welcome any and all input as to the content of my site, I do NOT know all there is to know and I am one to never oppose LEARNING something new. I am particularly motivated, because my purpose is then to share this knowledge with everyone, to help others.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join