It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too many people on ATS cannot decipher from New and Old Testaments.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In Matthew 12 Jesus says he over rides the old law of the Sabbath, does that mean he is speaking about him self or the rest of mankind to do so?
Is the message saying that because Jesus is the new covenant he is able to overcome this old Law I think it does say that? By doing so does it now mean the gentiles and Jews too do not have practice the Sabbath of the Old Testament and the message is to help people what ever day it may be as that is priority?

Maybe working on a Saturday is not bad after all or a Sunday either, so maybe that is why the West and Europe and England have for so many years.

Matthew 12

Lord of the Sabbath

1At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath."
3He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5Or haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent? 6I tell you that one[a] greater than the temple is here. 7If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. 8For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

9Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"

11He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

13Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
In Matthew 12 Jesus says he over rides the old law of the Sabbath, does that mean he is speaking about him self or the rest of mankind to do so?
Is the message saying that because Jesus is the new covenant he is able to overcome this old Law I think it does say that? By doing so does it now mean the gentiles and Jews too do not have practice the Sabbath of the Old Testament and the message is to help people what ever day it may be as that is priority?

Maybe working on a Saturday is not bad after all or a Sunday either, so maybe that is why the West and Europe and England have for so many years.

Matthew 12

Lord of the Sabbath

1At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath."
3He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5Or haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent? 6I tell you that one[a] greater than the temple is here. 7If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. 8For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

9Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"

11He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

13Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

You are baseing your understanding of not having to follow the Sabbath on the lesson Jesus was trying to teach in Matthew 12? How misguided you are my friend. At the time of Jesus' ministry (27CE - 31CE) there had been more than 60 "bylaws" added to the Sabbath Command by the Jewish leaders. Jesus proceeded to defy the establishment of "manmade traditions" by allowing His followers to pick grains to eat from the field. Note that they were not harvesting the grain, but picking some to eat. Harvesting grain would have constituted as "working" while picking something to eat was originally a lawful thing to do on the Sabbath. This is why Jesus referenced back to the OT and David's story. As King Saul was chasing David to kill him, he stopped in a grain field to pick some grain to eat and replenish his body. Jesus was showing the Jewish establishment of His time how contradictory their "bylaws" were to the actual purpose of the Sabbath.

He proceeded to call Himself the "Lord of the Sabbath." Does this mean He "did away" with the Sabbath? Not at all. Quite the opposite. Being the "Lord" of something is another way of saying you are the "master" of something. Jesus was the "Master (Lord) of the Sabbath." Why was He the Lord of the Sabbath? Jesus was known in the OT as the Word and Jehovah or LORD (YHWH). Since YHWH gave the Ten Commandments to Moses on Mt. Sinai and these commandments were spoken to Moses, YHWH (The Word of God) is Master of these commandments. Since the 4th of these commandments is the Sabbath commandment and Jesus is referred to as the Word of God in the NT, we can easily establish that Jesus is the Master or Lord of the Sabbath. This also gives clear indication of just what the "Lord's Day" really is. Since Christ is Lord of the Sabbath, the Lord's Day is truely from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.... not sunday as most christians believe.

Furthermore, Jesus was also teaching that "healing" on the Sabbath was not unlawful according to God's boundries for the Sabbath. Jesus was not breaking or defying the Sabbath law even a little bit. He was following this commandment to the letter, physically and spiritually. How does Matthew 12 do away with this Commandment of God?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
More like he changed the meaning of the Sabbath suppose, I also see that healing people on the Sabbath is within the law and people then thought all kinds of work was forbidden. Jesus does not need to rest on the Sabbath since he is the creator of it all and is not bound to it, so he is showing his authority as to who is was also. I guess the Jews still have to abide by those rules as given to them, but is it for the Jews or is it for the gentiles too? Or since the Jews don't believe in Christ anyway they just keep the traditions.

I have this quote anyway to which I am in the middle of understanding this since there is argument on both sides. This quote says as I suspected in my previous post so I am not the only one to think along those lines on an individual level about the change of the sabbath.

. Because Jesus fulfilled the Law in His life and His death, all Old Testament laws have to be interpreted through His fulfillment. Sacrifices and ritual and holy days--all change with Christ. So believers today are not bound to keep the Sabbath Day because we have a New Covenant. The Sabbath for us is interpreted through the Christ event--when we believe in Jesus, we enter into the rest He promised (Matt. 11:28), which is the eternal Sabbath. Every day is to be sanctified to the Lord as a day of spiritual rest; the whole life is a Sabbath fulfillment. And in the age to come there will be a restoration of the whole Sabbath with the removal of the curse. Paul teaches that the Christian is not to observe holy days in a legalistic way. They are helpful for instruction and meditation, but not legally binding. But the Christian is to live out the spirit of the Law, what those regulations were intended to convey. And so a sanctified life given to the Lord and lived out in salvation’s rest from anxious toil and spiritual works is what should characterize the believer who has entered into the Sabbath rest (see Hebrews 3, 4). A simplistic and legalistic observance of a “Christian Sabbath” is not the way to sanctification.
Text

bible.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
More like he changed the meaning of the Sabbath suppose, I also see that healing people on the Sabbath is within the law and people then thought all kinds of work was forbidden. Jesus does not need to rest on the Sabbath since he is the creator of it all and is not bound to it, so he is showing his authority as to who is was also. I guess the Jews still have to abide by those rules as given to them, but is it for the Jews or is it for the gentiles too? Or since the Jews don't believe in Christ anyway they just keep the traditions.

I have this quote anyway to which I am in the middle of understanding this since there is argument on both sides. This quote says as I suspected in my previous post so I am not the only one to think along those lines on an individual level about the change of the sabbath.

. Because Jesus fulfilled the Law in His life and His death, all Old Testament laws have to be interpreted through His fulfillment. Sacrifices and ritual and holy days--all change with Christ. So believers today are not bound to keep the Sabbath Day because we have a New Covenant. The Sabbath for us is interpreted through the Christ event--when we believe in Jesus, we enter into the rest He promised (Matt. 11:28), which is the eternal Sabbath. Every day is to be sanctified to the Lord as a day of spiritual rest; the whole life is a Sabbath fulfillment. And in the age to come there will be a restoration of the whole Sabbath with the removal of the curse. Paul teaches that the Christian is not to observe holy days in a legalistic way. They are helpful for instruction and meditation, but not legally binding. But the Christian is to live out the spirit of the Law, what those regulations were intended to convey. And so a sanctified life given to the Lord and lived out in salvation’s rest from anxious toil and spiritual works is what should characterize the believer who has entered into the Sabbath rest (see Hebrews 3, 4). A simplistic and legalistic observance of a “Christian Sabbath” is not the way to sanctification.
Text

bible.org...

Jesus fulfillment of the Law was in the Levitical Laws of the Temple. The veil was torn and sacrifices haulted in 70AD. The Sabbath was never changed and Paul's words did not mention anything about the legalizm of holy days. Paul was telling his churchmembers not to let anyone ridicule them for actually celebrating the holy days, the Sabbath, and partaking of clean meats. Also, in reference to weather the Sabbath was meant for strictly Jews or for Gentiles, the bible reveals the answer: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27). The Sabbath was made for MAN, not just Jews or just Gentiles, but for MAN in general.

In reference to the Holy Days. How can bible commentary say something like that when all over the NT we see Jesus and the apostles attending Holy Day services even after the death of Christ and the start of the Church! Every Holy Day is significant to a christian. From Passover to the Eighth Day, there's true christian overtone in these Holy Days.

Passover= The Last Supper and The Day Christ Died.

Unleavened Bread= The dead Christ resurrected in the middle of this feast. Leaven represents sin to a christain as Paul explained.

Pentacost= The Day the New Testament Church started as the Holy Spirit filled the room of Pentacost observers. Represents the firstfruits of Christ or the "First Resurrection/rapture".

Trumpets= Represents the return of Christ after tribulation signified by the blowing of 7 trumpets.

Atonement= Represents the confinement and absense of Satan on earth allowing people to atone to God or become closer to God.

Tabernacles= Represents the 1000 years of Peace on Earth after the return of Christ.

Eighth Day/Last Great Day= Day after the 7 day tabernacles. Represents the 2nd resurrection, the Great White throne Judgement and the New heaven and New earth.

So you see, these Holy Days represent mankind's destiny. They were never done away with... only the levitical portions of them were... the slaughtering of animals for sacrifices. As Hebrews Says, Jesus is our permanent High Priest.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Anyway the reason for this thread was to say that many on ATS do not understand the NEW and OLD Testaments having different laws and they all think it is one thing. This may happen because people start from Genesis and they get tired and forget to read the Gospels or they just don't get it.

A lot of the Laws of Moses was for priesthood practices, the Bible says other nations did what they wanted but the Israelites had to abide by these laws and keep a promise, this then made them inherit certain lands and they also paid a burden to the world in the process. Obviously some failed along the way, as individuals or as a nation of people and God would send them enemies to wake them up when they started to go astray and look to other Gods and God would help them when individual prophets grouped them up together again.

Anyway I am sure people don't do what Leviticus 15 says about
Discharges Causing Uncleanness, if that was the case then the world is in trouble. It was just for the priests and people of that time in direct connection to God and man who was present at the time and of course once certain hurdles were past no longer did the people have to follow such strict instructions.

I'm maybe in the middle about the Sabbath which was pointed out to me as an ongoing debate between Christian divisions and it is a hard subject to answer and am not the only one.
But this thread should not be discredited because of this alone and there is a difference in being liberated in Christ and being in bondage with the old Law which has been rendered smooth.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pdpayne0418

"I, for one, cannot believe that. It is, in fact, a repulsive idea to me that someone innocent should take care of all my sh*t. So rather than people having a hard time understanding the differences between the Jewish and Christian testaments (as you claim is the case), I think it's rather a case of people disagreeing with your basic premise of who Jesus was or claimed to be. "

Archbishop Robert Zollitsch, chairman of the Catholic bishops' conference of Germany stated that Christ's purpose was not to die for the sins of the people, but to be in solidarity with them. The Word would have been incarnated in Christ even if the first man and woman had never sinned. The bishop found himself in trouble with the traditional Catholics.

But there is an alternative. A Franciscan view, by John Duns Scotus.Jesus was not an afterthought to avenge God, but existed with God from the beginning, as found in the Prologue of John's gospel. The Word would have been incarnated in Christ even if the first man and woman had never sinned. God's first intention—from all eternity—was that human nature be glorified by being united to the divine Word. The same thought is found in St Paul;

“[God] chose us in Christ
before the world was made
to be holy and faultless before him in love.…
Such was his purpose and good pleasure,
to the praise of the glory of his grace,
his free gift to us in the Beloved…”
(1:4, 5, 6, New Jerusalem Bible).

“[Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible...all things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together” (Colossians 1:15-17)

There is little difference in the teaching of the Torah and the teaching of Jesus in Mt's Sermon on the Mount, the torah of the Messiah. Jesus did not abolish the Law. The big stumbling block? Perfection, the state of being holy as God is holy (Lev 19:2, 11:44), as demanded by the Torah, now is fulfilled in following Jesus.

There is no possible understanding of the NT apart from the OT.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

"Harvesting grain would have constituted as "working" while picking something to eat was originally a lawful thing to do on the Sabbath."

It was not the eating of something, but the plucking of the grain that was forbiden.
Even today, Orthodox Jews follow the same Sabbath laws. Suppose they plan to
have cereal for breakfast, first it would have to be dry due to no cooking, and
they would have to have opened the box before sundown of Friday. They may
eat the cereal on the Sabbath, but they may not open the box.

"This is why Jesus referenced back to the OT and David's story. As King Saul was chasing David to kill him, he stopped in a grain field to pick some grain to eat and replenish his body. Jesus was showing the Jewish establishment of His time how contradictory their "bylaws" were to the actual purpose of the Sabbath.

David entered the house of God and ate the holy bread reserved for the priests, which was unlawful. Jesus and his deciples replace the priesthood. The authority of Jesus who now takes the place of the Torah.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Although Jesus died for us in the body he came back in the spiritual hybrid body, where is still had the scares but could asend to heaven with his exising form. He did die but he came back and over came death for us, he loop holed death and the sin so we could through faith be saved rather than be held to Old Testament covenants, and things like circumcision and animal sacrifices was no longer needed.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Here is a good way to explain it without me doing all the work, it is sad that some Christian sects and the Koran bring back the old traditions when there is clearly no need. There were different laws for different purposes, example a Doctor or teacher for example has his/her own laws with patients, if he or she lies about their patients health or have sexual relations at work then they are likely to be breaking the law and code of conduct. Soldiers have their own laws, they can kill someone in battle and yet not go prison, but if they do it on purpose to someone innocent they will get punished. The same with Old Testament laws which applied different laws for different settings and this is where people get it wrong when they fail to read the book.

What Does the Bible Say About the Old Testament Law?

The Law of Moses regulated almost every aspect of life in Old Testament times. But with the coming of Christ, God established a new covenant of faith and love with mankind. Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc. However, the moral and ethical teachings of Jesus and His apostles call for even greater self-discipline than those of the Old Testament.

The Law of Moses
In Biblical times, the Law of Moses (also called Old Testament Law, Mosaic Law, or just The Law) regulated almost every aspect of Jewish life. The Ten Commandments and many other laws defined matters of morals, religious practice and government. It regulated the army, criminal justice, commerce, property rights, slavery, sexual relations, marriage and social interactions. It required circumcision for males, blood sacrifices, and Sabbath observance. It provided for the welfare of widows, orphans, the poor, foreigners and domestic animals. Ceremonial rules divided animals into "clean" and "unclean" categories. Clean animals could be eaten; unclean animals could not.

Teachings of Jesus
By the time of Jesus, the great moral principles God had given to Moses in the Ten Commandments had been turned into hundreds of ceremonial rules. People thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all those rules. But many people found enough "loopholes" to obey all the rules and still live wicked and greedy lives (Matthew 23:23-28).

Jesus said that was not at all what God had intended. Jesus did not abolish the moral and ethical laws that had been in effect from the time of Moses (Matthew 5:17-18, Luke 16:16-17). He affirmed and expanded upon those principles, but He said obedience must be from the heart (attitudes and intentions) rather than just technical observance of the letter of the law (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-44, etc.).

Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict Jewish rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14, Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18).

In contrast to the "clean" and "unclean rules," Jesus said no food can defile a person. It is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Council of Jerusalem
The first Christians came from among the Jews, and they continued to observe the Law of Moses as well as their new Christian faith. But as more and more Gentiles (non-Jews) converted to Christianity, there were disputes about whether or not these Gentile Christians must observe the Law. Issues of circumcision and diet were especially troublesome.

In about the year 49 A.D., Peter, Paul, Barnabas, James and other Christian leaders met in Jerusalem to settle the issue (Acts 15:1-29). It was agreed that no conditions should be imposed on the Gentile converts except faith in Christ. However, the council recommended that Gentile Christians abstain from certain things that were particularly offensive to their Jewish brethren - food sacrificed to idols, blood, meat of strangled animals and sexual immorality (Acts 15:29).

The New Covenant
With the coming of Christ, God has established a new covenant with mankind (Jeremiah 31:31-34, Luke 22:20, 1 Corinthians 11:25, Hebrews 8:8-13, 9:11-15) that supersedes the Old Testament Law.

Jesus and His apostles gave us a radically new understanding of the true intent of the Old Testament Law; they brought a new era of the rule of love for all people and spiritual truth instead of rule by law (Luke 10:25-28, John 13:34-35, Ephesians 2:14-18).

Conclusion
The teachings of Jesus, the Council of Jerusalem, and other New Testament teachings (John 1:16-17, Acts 13:39, Romans 2:25-29, 8:1-4, 1 Corinthians 9:19-21, Galatians 2:15-16, Ephesians 2:15) make it clear that Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc.

Christians still look to the Old Testament scripture for moral and spiritual guidance (2 Timothy 3:16-17). But when there seems to be a conflict between Old Testament laws and New Testament principles, we must follow the New Testament because it represents the most recent and most perfect revelation from God (Hebrews 8:13, 2 Corinthians 3:1-18, Galatians 2:15-20).

However, freedom from the Old Testament Law is not a license for Christians to relax their moral standards. The moral and ethical teachings of Jesus and His apostles call for even greater self-discipline than those of the Old Testament (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-48, 7:1-5, 15:18-19, 25:37-40, Mark 7:21-23, 12:28-31, Luke 12:15, 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, Galatians 5:19-21, James 1:27, 2:15-16, 1 John 3:17-19).
Text

www.twopaths.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

In this context, I also like quoting Romans ch7 v6;
"...so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit".
In other words, if we're obedient to anything in the Old Testament, including the Ten Commandments, it is under the guidance of the Spirit rather than in obedience to the Law of Moses, from which we have been released.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've not read evey book my self but if I did I am sure would get some good notes in some of the passages, will do that some day.

But this is for ATS members who find the whole ordeal confusing, the Bible might have some hardline rules but after 4000 years of history it does mellow out and that is the message of it, the overall message gets better and less harsh sounding but people should not confuse some things from laws given to priests with laws passed on today and even the New Testament deals with change stating that those which live by the old law die by it and no one is worthy in the modern day to live up to it. Christ came and fulfilled the law and it is now by faith for all makind in which we can be saved not just bloodline Jews.

Taking away the Christ from his title and making him something less than God only brings up laws in which cause more harm than good in society and a personal level, the JWs for example denouce Chist as Angelic and with it they have laws that could kill them like not taking blood for transfusions. Other denominations like Islam deny Christ but have to live with laws that persecute their every little move.

Books 1-5: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
These books were written about 3400 years ago by Moses. These five books are sometimes called the Pentateuch or the Torah.

Books 6-16: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah.

These books, among other things, explain the history of Israel from the time that the nation was established about 3400 years ago. It includes information about the time when the nation was conquered by the Assyrians about 2700 years ago, and when it was conquered by the Babylonians about 2600 years ago. The Assyrians and Babylonians forced many of the Israelites out of their homeland. But, some returned during the next few centuries, shortly before the time of Jesus.

Books 17-22: Ester, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon.

These books are sometimes called the books of Writings, or the books of Poetry, or the books of Wisdom.

Books 23-27: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.

These books contain prophecies that were delivered by prophets, such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel. These prophets lived about 2700 to 2500 years ago. Some of their prophecies were fulfilled during ancient times and many others were fulfilled by Jesus Christ about 2000 years ago.

Books 28-39: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.

These books are sometimes called the books of the "minor" prophets. They are called "minor" because their books are short in length.

Text

100prophecies.org...

Genesis. Describes the creation; gives the history of the old world, and of the steps taken by God toward the formation of theocracy.

Exodus. The history of Israel's departure from Egypt; the giving of the law; the tabernacle.

Leviticus. The ceremonial law.

Numbers. The census of the people; the story of the wanderings in the wilderness.

Deuteronomy. The law rehearsed; the death of Moses.

Joshua. The story of the conquest and partition of Canaan.

Judges. The history of the nation from Joshua to Samson.

Ruth. The story of the ancestors of the royal family of Judah

1 Samuel. The story of the nation during the judgeship of Samuel and the reign of Saul.

2 Samuel. Story of the reign of David.

1 and 2 Kings. The books of Kings form only one book in the Hebrew MSS. They contain the history of the nation from David's death and Solomon's accession to the destruction of the kingdom of Judah and the desolation of Jerusalem, with a supplemental notice of the liberation of Jehoiachin from his prison at Babylon, twenty-six years later; they comprehend the whole time of the Israelitish monarchy, exclusive of the reigns of Saul and David.

The Books of Chronicles are so called as being the record made by the appointed historiographers of the kingdoms of Judah and Israel; they are the official histories of those kingdoms.

Ezra. The story of the return of the Jews from the Babylonish captivity, and of the rebuilding of the temple.
Nehemiah. A further account of the rebuilding of the temple and city, and of the obstacles encountered and overcome.

Esther. The story of a Jewess who becomes queen of Persia and saves the Jewish people from destruction.
Job. The story of the trials and patience of a holy man of Edom.

Psalms. A collection of sacred poems intended for use in the worship of Jehovah. Chiefly the productions of David.

Proverbs. The wise sayings of Solomon.
A poem respecting the vanity of earthly things.
Solomon's Song. An allegory relating to the church.

Isaiah. Prophecies respecting Christ and his kingdom.

Jeremiah. Prophecies announcing the captivity of Judah, its sufferings, and the final overthrow of its enemies.

Lamentations. The utterance of Jeremiah's sorrow upon the capture of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple.

Ezekiel. Messages of warning and comfort to the Jews in their captivity.

Daniel. A narrative of some of the occurrences of the captivity, and a series of prophecies concerning Christ.

Hosea. Prophecies relating to Christ and the latter days.

Joel. Prediction of woes upon Judah, and of the favor with which God will receive the penitent people.

Amos. Prediction that Israel and other neighboring nations will be punished by conquerors from the north, and of the fulfillment of the Messiah's kingdom.

Obadiah. Prediction of the desolation of Edom.

Jonah. Prophecies relating to Nineveh.

Micah. Predictions relating to the invasions of Shalmaneser and Sennacherib, the Babylonish captivity, the establishment of a theocratic kingdom in Jerusalem, and the birth of the Messiah in Bethlehem.

Nahum. Prediction of the downfall of Assyria.

Habakkuk. A prediction of the doom of the Chaldeans.

Zephaniah. A prediction of the overthrow of Judah for its idolatry and wickedness.

Haggai. Prophecies concerning the rebuilding of the temple.

Zechariah. Prophecies relating to the rebuilding of the temple and the Messiah.

Malachi. Prophecies relating to the calling of the Gentiles and the coming of Christ.
Text

Gospel of St. Matthew. A brief history of the life of Christ.

Gospel of St. Mark. A brief history of the life of Christ, supplying some incidents omitted by St. Matthew.

Gospel of St. Luke. The history of the life of Christ, with especial reference to his most important acts and discourses.

Gospel of St. John. The life of Christ, giving important discourses not related by the other evangelists.

Acts of the Apostles. The history of the labors of the apostles and of the foundation of the Christian Church.

Epistle to the Romans. A treatise by St. Paul on the doctrine of justification by Christ.

First Epistle to the Corinthians. A letter from St. Paul to the Corinthians, correcting errors into which they had fallen.

Second Epistle to the Corinthians. St. Paul confirms his disciples in their faith, and vindicates his own character.

Epistle to the Galatians. St. Paul maintains that we are justified by faith, and not by rites.

Epistle to the Ephesians. A treatise by St. Paul on the power of divine grace.

Epistle to the Philippians. St. Paul sets forth the beauty of Christian kindness.

Epistle to the Colossians. St. Paul warns his disciples against errors, and exhorts to certain duties.

First Epistle to the Thessalonians. St. Paul exhorts his disciples to continue in the faith and in holy conversation.

Second Epistle to the Thessalonians. St. Paul corrects an error concerning the speedy coming of Christ the second time.

First and Second Epistles to Timothy. St. Paul instructs Timothy in the duty of a pastor, and encourages him in the work of the ministry.

Epistle to Titus. St. Paul encourages Titus in the performance of his ministerial duties.

Epistle to Philemon. An appeal to a converted master to receive a converted escaped slave with kindness.

Epistle to Hebrews. St. Paul maintains that Christ is the substance of the ceremonial law.

Epistle of James. A treatise on the efficacy of faith united with good works.

First and Second Epistles of Peter. Exhortations to a Christian life, with various warnings and predictions.

First Epistle of St. John. Respecting the person of our Lord, and an exhortation to Christian love and conduct.

Second Epistle of St. John. St. John warns a converted lady against false teachers.

Third Epistle of St. John. A letter to Gaius, praising him for his hospitality.

Epistle of St. Jude. Warnings against deceivers.

The Revelation. The future of the Church foretold.
Text

www.blueletterbible.org...

edit on 4-8-2011 by The time lord because: Reasons

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What people seem to quote most on both athiest and believers side are these books here

Leviticus. The ceremonial law.

Numbers. The census of the people; the story of the wanderings in the wilderness.

Deuteronomy. The law rehearsed; the death of Moses.

They think it has got to do with them when it is in fact specified with ceremonial laws that today are too holy for us to even be involved in unless you have God speaking to you directly and even then the laws have changed so it is very isolated for that time period and circumstance and tribe in a unique time of history.

Then came the 10 commandments because they managed to pass the test of being set free and keeping alive the faith with God even though many strayed off and payed the penalty for that.

Even the Pharasees were being blasted by Christ about their ancient Laws because to keep them you must abide by all of them and they did not and to be honest no one actually can as they once did for that time period.

The new Law is by faith and by spirit in which we are all blessed Jew or Gentile no matter which line blessed by spirit of faith and God in spirit who is with us for those who believe.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join