It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toyota’s humanoid robot breaks speed record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Toyota’s most recent humanoid robot runs at an average speed of 7 km/h.
They are getting there....

More info at:

smart-machines.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yes, they are getting close.

Watching that I get the feeling the run is a succession of quick steps, there is no momentum to the body that a human would have. It needs to throw itself forward more and possibly have longer legs.

They will get there in time. Then they'll be beating us in the 100m.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
i've been following bi-peds for almost 10 years now and although it seems slow progress, the leaps they have made (no pun intend) is amazing! i think the last key to betterment is energy and better battery or alt power sources.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

Well that was a slight improvement over Honda's robot attempt

Id like to see the Toyota version try some stairs, thats how to defeat them if they ever rise up against humanity.

Dont buy a bungalow or your doomed I tell you!

One things that freaks me out a little is the way humanity treats robots, it is almost like they would treat a kid if you get me. The fascinations are almost the same as well.

On my first view of that video, I wondered how it would handle someone battering it over the head with a bat as opposed to a push from a little girl. Im not a fan of tech these days, it should be trashed in my opinion as its going in the wrong direction.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
And its butt didn't even wiggle. Now that is technology!

Sorry, I'm weird.

Toyota's running robot is impressive. I remember when enabling them to walk up and down stairs was a massive undertaking...they have surpassed that my leapyears. I wonder what will be next?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
And its butt didn't even wiggle. Now that is technology!

Sorry, I'm weird.

Toyota's running robot is impressive. I remember when enabling them to walk up and down stairs was a massive undertaking...they have surpassed that my leapyears. I wonder what will be next?

What will be next?

You think I am kidding too, the terminator was original a dream by James Cameron who made the original movies.

Then we have Honda with the slogan "The power of dreams" creating robots.

Theres a lot more coincidences but ill probably just look like im wacky if I list them.

Im probably blowing this out of proportion but something like this is not that far off in reality, all thats missing is a cpu chip with the power then were good to go.

By then that little girl in the original post video will get a different reaction when she pushes it thats for sure

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

No, not wacky at all. U2U me with them if you want. I'm interested. But then again maybe people will think I'm wacky. I seriouly don't care what people think of me, I go my own way.

The Terminator technology from science fiction may well transcend science fact.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

they really are getting there, when i see things like this it makes me wonder what'd happen if all the robotics labs pooled their knowledge and resources, we'd probably get something similar to sonny from i-robot (or t2 from terminator if there were military labs involved) before long.

s&f

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I might as well post them for some fun and in case anyone comes across the board with an interest.

freedomtheoryuk.blogspot.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...
UK has has its own tracking of citizens

en.wikipedia.org...
Remind you of anything?

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...(satellites)
Skynet exists in reality, coincidence?

Almost reality now aside from the interruption part

I am sure someone on ATS has been contacted by the future or sent back through time to protect someone though?

Coincidences probably but I am sure people can think of different names for things and it can be quite strange how thing are coming true that during the 80's people would have thought were entirely fiction based.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Toyota....Honda...Why is it that the car companies are the ones pursuing this technology? Johnny Cab anyone?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14e73b814f32.jpg[/atsimg]

LOL

Seriously though, anyone know why?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Yes, they are surely evolving towards a Terminator kind of machine. Once something practical comes out of the labs, there are going to be two big applications - military and adult entertainment (not kidding).

There are two streams in robotics - one focuses on mechanical (physical) aspect, like walking/running/climbing stairs etc and other is involved with AI, the reasoning and intelligence part. Terminator type robot will be born when these two streams get mature and marry.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I trust the Japanese about as far as I can throw them. All of this robot crap? Pearl harbor 2. Just wait......

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Car manufacturers were among the first to embrace robots for producing their cars. Now they are totally dependent on them.

Probably these humanoids are spin offs from their research on robotic machinery which helped immensely in manufacture of cars.

But I don't know for sure, may be they have the extra money to burn on this or they may have other intentions.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
For Honda and Toyota it's just plain old raw white hot competition and rivalry

they would compete to build the worlds best rice cracker if there was kudos in it for them

very cool robot as well

top topics

join