It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity - History's Greatest Scam

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

There's no halfway when the Bible is the truth. You get "halfways" when people disregard the Bible and try to make up their own doctrines to better fit the world. The Bible doesn't mention Catholicism at all, so as Christian's we're supposed to disregard it as a false teaching.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My wife keeps talking about Christening, or Baptising, my infant son...I don't say anything, she says its apart of her upbringing...even though she doesn't go to church much at all. What's this all about,

That is how religion keeps it's numbers- by passing it down to the next generation who swallow it just like their parents did.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke

There's no halfway when the Bible is the truth. You get "halfways" when people disregard the Bible and try to make up their own doctrines to better fit the world. The Bible doesn't mention Catholicism at all, so as Christian's we're supposed to disregard it as a false teaching.

When I say meeting halfway- I meant- you are entitled to believe what you want- just as I am- you are so dogmatic you don't even allow other peeps to think what they want, and that is what christianity is all about- you have it right- everyone else is wrong

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

If you think that Christianity is backwards and garbage, why are you wasting your time discussing it? I don't go to my neighbors and talk about trash.

You wouldn't ask that if you lived in the dark age when they burn witches at the stakes and hang anyone who opposes Christianity.

Thank god for the freedom we have today.

BUT. Remember, Christianity still influence politics today. They still push for teaching Creationism in public schools. They still push for jailing homosexuals. And so on and on.

That is the reason for discussing it. That is the reason for creating my threads.

No, it is not a waste of time.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88
reply to post by Totakeke

Heaven, Everlasting life...this sounds pretty sweet.

I thought that's what you meant.

I've heard some things that Christians talk about though and it seems appealing...I just want to know how do you plan to accomplish this, or do I really have to die first to receive the gift?

Anyway, you don't have to die to receive salvation. The Bible says that the only thing required for salvation is to have faith in Jesus Christ, faith that He died for our sins; and to turn from our sinful ways and turn our lives over to Christ.

gotquestions.org explains a lot of common questions about salvation here: www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen

When I say meeting halfway- I meant- you are entitled to believe what you want- just as I am- you are so dogmatic you don't even allow other peeps to think what they want, and that is what christianity is all about- you have it right- everyone else is wrong

Well of course everyone's entitled to believe what they want. But from a Biblical perspective Catholicism is a false teaching. That's all.
(By the way, when you mentioned infant baptism a few posts up, that's only done in Catholicism; the Bible doesn't say infants need to be baptised to be saved.
)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

As there are reported to be over 38,000 Christian denominations,

en.wikipedia.org...

The Bible is the truth? "No halfway"? The Bible is supposed to be clear according to Christians

Come on.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

That sounds easy enough. Can this be done then in private without any outside assistance or recognition. Just something I know in my own mind. Or does this have to be confirmed? Do I need a Certificate or something?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well of course everyone's entitled to believe what they want.

So instead of filling the thread up with more of your dogma- let us agree to disagree- I think Catholics are christians- you don't- end of story right? because in your own words 'everyone is entitled to believe what they want'-

But from a Biblical perspective Catholicism is a false teaching. That's all. (By the way, when you mentioned infant baptism a few posts up, that's only done in Catholicism; the Bible doesn't say infants need to be baptised to be saved. )

huh?

Lots of religions baptise their young, it's not something that is exclusive to Catholicism.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
How does starting a thread like this benefit mankind or contribute to any kind of unity of heart, mind, and purpose for the betterment of mankind?

There is no humility behind threads like this.
There is no bridge building in threads like this.
There is no effort to bring about peace in a thread like this.
There is no reaching out to anyone, but to those motivated by hate.

Threads like this sow discord and promote hatred.

Christianity (and other major religions) is the one who sow discord and promote hatred.

This thread (and so many other threads like mine) is an attempt to eliminate the discord and hatred.

Threads like this does benefit mankind. It attempts to bring about unity of mankind.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

There might be over 38,000 Christian denominations, but there's only one Bible.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Lots of religions baptise their young, it's not something that is exclusive to Catholicism.

I didn't mean "only" Catholicism; I meant it's not done in Christianity.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I didn't mean "only" Catholicism; I meant it's not done in Christianity.

Yes it is, there are too many christian churches to mention that do infant baptism.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

There might be over 38,000 Christian denominations, but there's only one Bible.

Right. Only one Bible. You got that one right.

But then again, you get many translations of the Bible. Some originals are missing.

So. There are many translations of the Bible, some of which originals are actually missing.

And don't forget that the "only one Bible" was actually put together by councils and Catholic Church. They pick and choose which book to be put in the "only one Bible".

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
that pesky Council of Nicaea

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

That sounds easy enough. Can this be done then in private without any outside assistance or recognition. Just something I know in my own mind. Or does this have to be confirmed? Do I need a Certificate or something?

From gotquestions.org (www.gotquestions.org...)

Question: "What is salvation? What is the Christian doctrine of salvation?"

Answer: Salvation is deliverance from danger or suffering. To save is to deliver or protect. The word carries the idea of victory, health, or preservation. Sometimes, the Bible uses the words saved or salvation to refer to temporal, physical deliverance, such as Paul’s deliverance from prison (Philippians 1:19).

More often, the word “salvation” concerns an eternal, spiritual deliverance. When Paul told the Philippian jailer what he must do to be saved, he was referring to the jailer’s eternal destiny (Acts 16:30-31). Jesus equated being saved with entering the kingdom of God (Matthew 19:24-25).

What are we saved from? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, we are saved from “wrath,” that is, from God’s judgment of sin (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9). Our sin has separated us from God, and the consequence of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Biblical salvation refers to our deliverance from the consequence of sin and therefore involves the removal of sin.

Who does the saving? Only God can remove sin and deliver us from sin’s penalty (2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5).

How does God save? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, God has rescued us through Christ (John 3:17). Specifically, it was Jesus’ death on the cross and subsequent resurrection that achieved our salvation (Romans 5:10; Ephesians 1:7). Scripture is clear that salvation is the gracious, undeserved gift of God (Ephesians 2:5, 8) and is only available through faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

How do we receive salvation? We are saved by faith. First, we must hear the gospel—the good news of Jesus’ death and resurrection (Ephesians 1:13). Then, we must believe—fully trust the Lord Jesus (Romans 1:16). This involves repentance, a changing of mind about sin and Christ (Acts 3:19), and calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:9-10, 13).

A definition of the Christian doctrine of salvation would be “The deliverance, by the grace of God, from eternal punishment for sin which is granted to those who accept by faith God’s conditions of repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.” Salvation is available in Jesus alone (John 14:6; Acts 4:12) and is dependent on God alone for provision, assurance, and security.

If you truly desire to seek Christ and if you truly want to turn away from sin, then just talk to Him. Approach Him openly and genuinely. Receive Him as your Savior and trust in Him alone for salvation.

The information here: www.gotquestions.org... talks more about salvation and why we need it.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Salvation is deliverance from danger or suffering.

What danger or suffering? Did they mean HELL? Hell was created by God WAY before we were born and he allowed us to be born into danger of suffering and sins.

This is the kind of thinking that dictators have. It's one of strategies that works so well for centuries to keep people under control.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
On to Christ...the Bishop of Rome calls himself the Vicar of Christ (Avatar) and also the Successor of Peter. But Peter denies Christ. Christians would know nothing of Christ without Peter, who is Christs representative on Earth and Catholic, but Christians say Catholism isn't Christianity.

Who is Christ? and how does one approach him? Men seem to have made a true understanding of what should be a very simple task impossible I think.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by IDK88]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

On to Christ...the Bishop of Rome calls himself the Vicar of Christ (Avatar) and also the Successor of Peter. But Peter denies Christ. Christians would know nothing of Christ without Peter, who is Christs representative on Earth and Catholic, but Christians say Catholism isn't Christianity.

Who is Christ? and how does one approach him? Men seem to have made a true understanding of what should be a very simple task impossible I think.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by IDK88]

Christ is God's son and He was sent to die for our sins. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16 KJV

This should explain salvation a little better. It's from www.allaboutgod.com... (This quote is just a snippet; the rest of the article goes over why we need salvation and what God provided for salvation.)

How to be saved -- What must a man do to be saved? How to be saved is within the reach of every human being on the face of the earth. When Jesus Christ died on the cross, He provided salvation for all. “‘And when I am lifted up on the cross, I will draw everyone to myself.’ He said this to indicate how he was going to die” (John 12:32-33). Salvation has been provided; it now must be accepted. Once a man or woman recognizes the need for salvation and realizes that God has provided for their salvation through Jesus Christ, he or she must go on to embrace it.

Salvation is simply a process of confessing and believing. A man must confess that Jesus is Lord, which signifies his realization that Christ must have full rule over his life with all of His righteous requirements. This confession of Christ as Lord also assumes that it is Christ who will work and fulfill His own righteousness within man.

Next, he must believe that God has raised Jesus Christ from the dead. This belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus carries with it the realization that the penalty has been paid for sin and power is provided for man to live a life free from sin. Thus man’s relationship to God is restored. “For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Bible tells us, “For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved” (Romans 10:9-11).

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

I have decided Totakeke is not worth my time and ignored him - I don't know if that removes his posts from my thread, but if they disappear that is why. He doesn't offer anything constructive and comes in to the discussion with the assumption he is right and everyone else is wrong - therefore he gets blocked.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join