It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity - History's Greatest Scam

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
hmm can't seem to find a quote feature in this

"hahahaha that is awesome. Yes thank you for that...I doubt these crazy Jesus-lovers even bothered to watch this; it probably angers them too much because what can they really say in response? Thank you once again"

I don't blame you for reacting in this way at all. One of the greatest tragedies of faith is the potential of the receiver to backslide in receiving new found responsibility and pride. Still, I find the atheist (presuming that's what you are?) way of responding to things a bit disturbing - for one who believes in disbelieving, it seems that you spend just as much time and effort in all areas as backsliders do. For what? I don't see the reason in fighting. Yourself perhaps? This is one of the main things in Atheism I cannot understand. You're just like any of us in that there is no proof whatsoever than no God exists, yet you're taking the fight as intensely as we the believers do (thus we get coined crazy for believing in something we have no "evidence" of). A bit of hypocrisy in my eyes until proven otherwise.

By backsliders I generally mean the Christian community who speak first without thinking. Those who attempt to move into sensitive areas without first removing their shoes. No doubt people like this have caused more harm than good, could be related to the crusades and such if you'd like. I feel myself lacking in absolute rebuttal to your claims, so I will let others do the work and learn from it for now. Make no mistake, those who know the faith top to bottom genuinely won't back down, no matter what.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kapyong

Geee. Anymore ad hom silliness? They are the same thing. Just different wording.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It has never happened in humans, and can't, unless outside information (chromosomes in this case) are introduced. For anyone to suggest that women suddenly just reproduce on their own is somewhat mislead in their understanding of biology.

Humans don't have a natural cloning mechanism or anything, but that's basically what happens when females in the animal kingdom forego the sexual part of reproduction.

Unless Jesus was a women, this is doesn't work.

I suppose he had long hair...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

With reptiles, the females auto proginate when there are no males around. The offspring ARE ALL MALE.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by makinho21
reply to post by mamabeth

...appealing to emotion are we? "don't talk about it because it makes us unhappy...and that is wrong!"

Right

My answer to you is on another thread.Have a nice day!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by pretty_vacant
Why do people get so anal over religion?? I will never understand it.

Are you kidding?

Religious people are trying to force their false views into science classes.
Religious people are trying to stop atheists holding public office.
Religious people are MURDERING abortion doctors
Religious people are killing children by refusing them medicine.
Religious people rip off the poor and needy.

Do you support actions like that?

Are they "acts of love and compassion towards your fellow human"?
Hmmm?

K.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Geee. Anymore ad hom silliness? They are the same thing. Just different wording.

Wrong again.

Like I said - you don't know the difference between :

* The Virgin Birth - Mary birthing Jesus.

* The Immaculate Conception - Anne conceiving Jesus.

A common mis-understanding.

But it NEVER EVEN occured to you to look it up, did it?
Even after I pointed out you were wrong - the idea of checking the facts never once entered your mind.

K.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapyong

Hmmm, I see your point. Of course I understand when you put it like that. I guess I wrote that statement in question more in reaction to the way in which the OP was getting so anal over Christianity. And he was pretty ticked off. . .
So perhaps the reason why I bypass all of the murdering and forcing of false views and ripping people off is because I feel like I understand why they act out in such ways. .

This is my perspective on the issue: Jesus (in this particular case) provided people with an admirable and harmonious way of living. So admirable that over 2,039 million people now choose to put their own perspective on the teachings that he left. But Jesus cannot account for the direction in which his "followers" take his once good intentioned words. How would it be having over 2,039 million people twist your words around in much like a game of Chinese whispers?? I would think that your original message would come out somewhat distorted on the other end!
However, that is just the way that I see it and the way in which I account for the violent religious acts that are committed in the world today. Just because Jesus told people to practice love and compassion, doesn't mean that every single one of his adherents are going to interpret those words the same way.

It is no secret that many have misconstrued the true meaning behind the good intentioned words of some humble guy that were spoken millennia ago. But on the same hand you have an equal amount of that harmonious way of life finding its way into the hearts and minds of millions of others. I think it's uncouth to ignore all of the change and transformation Christianity has brought into the world and people's lives.
I'm aware though that all of this good does not make up for the wrong doings of others and in no way, shape or form should it ever excuse the heinous acts performed by some religious people. But to focus on the all of the bad all of the time is to not observe the entire picture, IMO.

Vacant

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapyong

Semantics. And you might wish to drop the attitude.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Gday,

Semantics.

No.

They are completely different things which happened at different times to different people :

* Immaculate Conception
A religious belief that only Mary's conception by Anne was sinless. It happened years before Jesus.

* Virgin Birth
The event of Jesus being born from the virgin Mary.

Something like a "virgin birth" may rarely happen in some creatures.

But an immaculate conception is a religious belief - it can not happen in nature.

And you might wish to drop the attitude.

And you might wish to admit you were wrong.
But you can't can you?

K.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Your point is? We are not reptiles. I shouldn't have said cloning, but I was simply explaining that there is no new genetic information passed on to the young. Obviously the female already has genes and coding that allow for either female parts or male parts.

Again, though, what does this prove? We are no reptiles.

Simply because bats and birds can fly, does that somewhere, there was a man or woman who could fly too?

Or that because geckos regenerate their limbs - does that mean it "could" have happened in humans? Yes, but it doesn't happen.

This is like a cover-up of thinking in absolute terms. "You can't say that wouldn't happen for sure", etc etc.

Yes - but we can't refute the giant spaghetti monster for sure. Or unicorns, or leprechauns...

[edit on 12-8-2009 by makinho21]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

My point is that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE with Nature and the natural order, even women giving birth without having had penetrative sex with a man.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Yes exactly...as I stated above. If anything is possible, so is the giant flying spaghetti monster. So are unicorns and centaurs.
That is a cop-out to the max. It just allows people to keep their delusions from being examined or critiqued, because dealing in absolute certainties is a pointless activity : it doesn't allow anything to be falsifiable, testable or observable.

That avenue has been debunked many times already.
Cling to it if you will, but it isn't very useful in terms of providing answers or analysis of things.

It could very well be that the underpants gnomes exist. Infact, I think they visit my room every night and take my boxers to the cleaners.
However, as soon as you turn on the light - they magically disappear.

Anything is possible...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It has never happened in humans, and can't, unless outside information (chromosomes in this case) are introduced. For anyone to suggest that women suddenly just reproduce on their own is somewhat mislead in their understanding of biology.

Humans don't have a natural cloning mechanism or anything, but that's basically what happens when females in the animal kingdom forego the sexual part of reproduction.

We can make sperm cells now

www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen

We can make sperm cells now

www.associatedcontent.com...

And we are to believe 2000 years ago they had the necessary technology and know-how to practice stem-cell research and genetics.
Or are you saying "god did it"?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

What should we make of the 1.8 billion people who follow Muhammad then? Was his message admirable and harmonious?
More people are turning to his message faster than any other religion at the present. Does that mean it was beneficial to our world?

I do think religion can make it's followers feel good, feel loved and so forth.

I just think pretending it is this profound untarnished moral code is ignorant.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Old joke:

Mary: Joe, I'm pregnant.
Joseph: Aw, crap. Okay, I've got this idea...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Of course all religions are a scam! It’s really pretty obvious. Look at the wide variations from different cultures all claiming to be right. Many appear ludicrous to those indoctrinated in other belief systems. That does not mean they are inherently good or bad as they are both.

The powers that be however take full advantage of the suffer now reward later mentality that pervades some regions.

There are many things that man does not in general think rationally about. No doubt religion is one of the top ones. It is as if some form of brainwashing has entrenched most minds so that they cannot escape from patterns of thinking that appear to have been enforced in some manner upon them.

An example of this type of irrational thought would be the assertion that no other intelligent life exists in the universe. The logical belief for those who have no firsthand experience of such existing would be to consider it possible given the size and lack of knowledge of the universe. It is hardly logical to dogmatically state with certainty it does not exist.

Very few can both look objectively and intelligently evaluate thoughts and ideas from both within and outside of ones self. The few of us that can have a responsibility to educate others to the benefit of all. This does not mean forcing ideas down someone’s throat. That is how irrational thinking gets started. The trick is to guide them to the point they realize things themselves. Even rarer is the one competent at doing this.

Let us work hard at this for mankind’s very survival depends on it. Those who would keep people in ignorance for their own greed have brought death. It is up to us to prevent it from becoming extinction.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Visiting the CiR sub-forum is like visiting a friend that is slowly wasting away. Serious, substantive discussion is becoming more and more rare.

The purpose of this thread is to bash Christianity. There was no conspiracy inherent in the original post. So why is it here instead of the Religion, Faith and Theology forum in BTS?

Maybe it would be better if tptb just changed the name from CiR to Religious Free For All.

Eric

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join